Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone on here read Big Dan's book? i read it during the week, couldnt put it down, it a good read.

Ya, i read it. Interesting but probably little in it to interest hurling fans outside of Waterford since a lot of it was a blow by blow account of his best games. Thought Damien Tiernans book was a better read despite some of its obvious flaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

deisedude wrote: »
    Ya, i read it. Interesting but probably little in it to interest hurling fans outside of Waterford since a lot of it was a blow by blow account of his best games. Thought Damien Tiernans book was a better read despite some of its obvious flaws

Im currently reading Damien Tiernans book, just read 1st chapter.
    In Dan's book i never realised Gerald McCarthy dropped him for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Jeddah wrote: »
    Look lads i think the best way to judge a manager is by results.

First of all to give Davy credit , he took over a bag of sh*te in 08 and got us to an All Ireland final by beating Tipp in a great match in the semi. The following year the Galway win was the highlight getting us to another semi. Last year we won a munster title.

IMO this year we need to be pushing on one further. Dont think we can be satisfied with one big scalp.

I don't believe that a team can go from being second best team in the country (a very close second) to a so-called bag of sh*te. They weren't fit enough granted, and they were sick of the whole scene with Justin. There was always going to be a marked improvement whatever manager came in. And we didn't exactly acquit ourselves well in that All-Ireland final.

The thing people forget is you don't beat the best teams by playing awful. Improving our hurling isn't going to be a negative.

Last year against Tipp there was no point where I thought we would win, everyone knew from very early we were in trouble. He's done some very good and important things. but to be fair it's only since he came in that the young players have appeared, like since his first full year in 2009 Waterford have made consecutive minor finals with a good chance of a third and we've also been in an u21 munster final. That depth of talent wasn't there before and though Justin was pretty bad at giving players a chance (I think largely because he didn't intend staying with Waterford so long and he said 'ah well we went close so same team and a bit more luck we'll do it next year' not realising the importance of having a strong bench) but at the same time we were introducing one or two a year from unsuccessful underage teams (Eoin Murphy, Aiden Kearney, Stephen Molumphy etc.)

I also agree about Dublin and I think we would beat them and I think we need to be expecting that if we think we're going to win the all-ireland which has to be the aim this year!

Nuts102 wrote: »
    In his first year the confidence was low people were saying we were finished for a few years. He got us to the Final, the semi's last year and won the Munsters. For people saying he is a bad manager thats not a bad record with an average enough team. He has freshened things up and brought through some much needed young talent which is an important part of his job. He got rid of the dead wood and brought players through. Thats what a good manager does unlike previous managers who kept calling up the same players. Being honest im not a massive hurling fan but i make sure to watch Waterford games so im not going to discuss tactics etc because im not qualified to talk about it. But i cant understand how people are saying he is a poor manager with his record. The team is shaping up nicely and i think we have a good chance of the Munsters and possibly the All Ireland.

By the way, I do agree with somethings you've said. I believe he has put very modern structures in place i.e. training is completely new, statisticians. And I do agree that they have chance of winning the all-ireland and if they do I will accept him as a very good manager. But in order to win the all-ireland they need to acknowledge some of the problems they're having for example the ball into the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Cake Man wrote: »
    Will Brian O' Halloran be fit?? Have heard conflicting stories, some that he'll make it, some saying his hamstring is still fecked and needs more treatment on it. Would be great if he does make it though.

I have it from a good source today that he is not fit and won't be for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jayus the under 21 championship is a crazy system. If Waterford lose on Wednesday than the season is over for them no second chance and what a tough game against last years Champions Tipperary in Thurles :(. Love to see them win the match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jayus the under 21 championship is a crazy system. If Waterford lose on Wednesday than the season is over for them no second chance and what a tough game against last years Champions Tipperary in Thurles :(. Love to see them win the match

Why is it crazy. The under 21's is the only real championship that is left. In England, in the F.A. Cup, supposibly one of the biggest competitions in the world, do teams beaten get a second chance.

Tickets are on sale now on Ticketmaster for the Munster Senoir Hurling Semi Final Waterford vs Limerick.

Got 4 brillent Seats Section 206 Row G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I think it is more to with the availability of senior players on the under 21 panels which is the matter here. If they ran a back door system they would risk some young players getting burnt out.

Anyone know what time throw in is. I can't find it on the GAA website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I think it is more to with the availability of senior players on the under 21 panels which is the matter here. If they ran a back door system they would risk some young players getting burnt out.

Anyone know what time throw in is. I can't find it on the GAA website

I think throw in is 1.45

• Advertisement

I think throw in is 1.45

cool, 7.45 I think you meant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

cool, 7.45 I think you meant ;)

No i meant 1.45

good man

its on

WEDNESDAY JUNE 1ST, 2011

Knockout
    7 30 PM - Tipperary vs. Waterford
    Semple Stadium, Thurles

just found it on gaa.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Anyone know what way the terraces are going for the game against Limerick? Will it be mixed on both terraces or mainly one set of fans per terrace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anyone know what way the terraces are going for the game against Limerick? Will it be mixed on both terraces or mainly one set of fans per terrace?

Just a guess but I'd say since Waterford are in the Town End and Limerick are in the Killinan End. I imagine you are better off ringing up. But I'm pretty sure that will be the way it goes.

I imagine it will be fairly mixed though. Just ring up one of the clubs and ask where your terrace tickets are for.

As I said, I imagine it will be the Town End, but it will be close to 50/50 I'd say...

Waterford fans are never in the Town End Terrace. Waterford fans are always in the Killian End.

For the 2007 Munster final Wat vs Limerick, Waterford had the Killian End terrace, while Limerick had the Town End terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

According to munster gaa website the under 21 semi final versus Cork is in Thurles if Tipp win and in Walsh park if waterford win on the 20th July. Extra incentive to win. Anyone know the tipp team, are many of their all ireland senior or under 21 team playing wednesday. Wont be easy going up to thurlas to take on the home team and beat them on the same pitch they train on. However we do have a strong team and if they can get over this then they have a good chance of reaching the munster final.

alllcounty wrote: »
    According to munster gaa website the under 21 semi final versus Cork is in Thurles if Tipp win and in Walsh park if waterford win on the 20th July. Extra incentive to win. Anyone know the tipp team, are many of their all ireland senior or under 21 team playing wednesday. Wont be easy going up to thurlas to take on the home team and beat them on the same pitch they train on. However we do have a strong team and if they can get over this then they have a good chance of reaching the munster final.

Ten of last years panel are still there, including Noel McGrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipp lineout as follows, obv not as strong as last year but still pretty decent

1.Paul Ryan

2.Ciaran Haugh
    3.Kevin O'Gorman
    4.Stephen Maher

5.Brian Stapleton
    6.James Barry
    7.Paudie Heffernan

8.Joe Gallagher
    9.Noel McGrath

10.Sean Curran
    11.Paddy Murphy
    12.Adrian Ryan

13. John O'Dwyer
    14. Buggy O'Meara
    15.John O'Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Noe McGrath at midfield is interesting.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Noe McGrath at midfield is interesting.

Would have always been midfield underage and with hes club, only really ended up centre-forward for Tipp seniors out of lack of other viable options.

Tipp lineout as follows, obv not as strong as last year but still pretty decent

1.Paul Ryan

2.Ciaran Haugh
    3.Kevin O'Gorman
    4.Stephen Maher

5.Brian Stapleton
    6.James Barry
    7.Paudie Heffernan

8.Joe Gallagher
    9.Noel McGrath

10.Sean Curran
    11.Paddy Murphy
    12.Adrian Ryan

13. John O'Dwyer
    14. Buggy O'Meara
    15.John O'Neill

Waterford team.

Stephen O'Keeffe
    Ballygunner
    Jamie Barron
    Fourmilewater
    Noel Connors
    Passage
    Paidi Prendergast
    Lismore
    Philip Mahony (Capt)
    Ballygunner
    Darragh Fives
    Tourin
    Stephen Daniels
    De La Salle
    Stephen Roche
    Mount Sion
    Martin O Neill
    Mount Sion
    Eamonn Murphy
    Dunhill
    Adam Brophy
    St. Saviours
    Padraic Mahony
    Ballygunner
    Brian O Sullivan
    Ballygunner
    Eoin Madigan
    De La Salle
    Jake Dillon
    De La Salle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Waterford fans are never in the Town End Terrace. Waterford fans are always in the Killian End.

For the 2007 Munster final Wat vs Limerick, Waterford had the Killian End terrace, while Limerick had the Town End terrace

Yeah Limerick are always in the Town End terrace these days except when they play Cork in Thurles. When I was a small fella Tipp and Cork always got the Town end but in the last few years the Tipp boys have gone to the Killinan end. Waterford seem to always be in the Killinan end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I like it. While I'm in favour of the backdoor in general, it's good to have a competition that's a throwback to the winner-takes-all days.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Well spotted. Although being at home in the final didn't do us any good against Clare in 2009!

deiseach wrote: »
    Well spotted. Although being at home in the final didn't do us any good against Clare in 2009!

I think this home thing is a load of crap, if you are a good enough team, and you make less mistakes than your opponents in a game, you will win, no matter where the game is played. A field is the same for both sides. OK maybe one might be more used to playing on it than another, but so. Its like when a few years back a former inter county hurler that was over a team found all kind of excuses when his side were told they were playing in Lemybrien.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Waterford team.

Stephen O'Keeffe
    Ballygunner
    Jamie Barron
    Fourmilewater
    Noel Connors
    Passage
    Paidi Prendergast
    Lismore
    Philip Mahony (Capt)
    Ballygunner
    Darragh Fives
    Tourin
    Stephen Daniels
    De La Salle
    Stephen Roche
    Mount Sion
    Martin O Neill
    Mount Sion
    Eamonn Murphy
    Dunhill
    Adam Brophy
    St. Saviours
    Padraic Mahony
    Ballygunner
    Brian O Sullivan
    Ballygunner
    Eoin Madigan
    De La Salle
    Jake Dillon
    De La Salle

A very young u21 team with alot of players from this years minor team and last years. How many players are actually on the age?

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I think this home thing is a load of crap, if you are a good enough team, and you make less mistakes than your opponents in a game, you will win, no matter where the game is played. A field is the same for both sides. OK maybe one might be more used to playing on it than another, but so. Its like when a few years back a former inter county hurler that was over a team found all kind of excuses when his side were told they were playing in Lemybrien.
    I think home is an advantage, but not a huge one. I crunched the numbers on our League record (Winter 1949 - 15 March 2011) and this was our overall record:

homeawayneutral.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

A very young u21 team with alot of players from this years minor team and last years. How many players are actually on the age?

Couple of strange selections in defence. Pauidie Prendergast corner back? He was corner forward for the minors a couple years back. Noel Connors very small for full back. I would start Fives at full Connors in the corner and move Paudie Prender out to wing back or midfield.
    There are 2 minors starting in Jamie Barron and Jake Dillon. Big ask for them
    No Maurice Shan or Brian O'Halloran. obviously didnt make it Thought Owen Whelan and Shane Kearney (Dungarvan) would be starting. Other than that its a strong looking team

• Advertisement

Couple of strange selections in defence. Pauidie Prendergast corner back? He was corner forward for the minors a couple years back. Noel Connors very small for full back. I would start Fives at full Connors in the corner and move Paudie Prender out to wing back or midfield.
    There are 2 minors starting in Jamie Barron and Jake Dillon. Big ask for them
    No Maurice Shan or Brian O'Halloran. obviously didnt make it Thought Owen Whelan and Shane Kearney (Dungarvan) would be starting. Other than that its a strong looking team

Yeah I can definitely see Connors moving to the corner, Buggy Meara is a big strapping FF and would have connors for size, besides Noel Connors is far too good a hurler to be confined to the square, I reckon he will end up doing a man marking job on John O'Neill.

Stephen O'Keeffe- age is/will be 20 this year
    Ballygunner
    Jamie Barron- is 17 will be 18 this year
    Fourmilewater
    Noel Connors- is/will be 21 this year
    Passage
    Paidi Prendergast-is 18 will be 19 this year
    Lismore
    Philip Mahony (Capt)- is/will be 20 this year
    Ballygunner
    Darragh Fives- is/ will be 19 this year
    Tourin
    Stephen Daniels- is/will be 21 this year
    De La Salle
    Stephen Roche- is/ will be 19 this year
    Mount Sion
    Martin O Neill- is/ will be 20 this year
    Mount Sion
    Eamonn Murphy is/will be 19 this year
    Dunhill
    Adam Brophy- haven't a clue
    St. Saviours
    Padraic Mahony- is 18 will be 19 this year
    Ballygunner
    Brian O Sullivan- is/ will be 21 this year
    Ballygunner
    Eoin Madigan- is/ will be 19 this year
    De La Salle
    Jake Dillon- is/ will be 18 this year
    De La Salle

I'm fairly sure those are right but I'm open to correction. In total 11 (and maybe Adam Brophy will still be underage next year) as well Brian O Halloran. There will also be 8 underage in two years time. No doubt it's a very young team.

If Maurice and O Halloran were fit I'd be confident. I think it should be close but Tipp have a very strong inside forward line and Noel McGrath. I must concede I don't know a huge amount about the Tipp backline.

I'm suprised to see Stephen Roche at midfield because I thought he was quite small, but I trust this management team.

I think Tipp will probably win but hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

Going to be a very good game me thinks. 2 strong teams.

Connors is going to be the seniors next full back in years to come, Fives was made bits of against Clare in 09 in the final, he is more suited to the corner

In fairness to Fives he was 18 at the time and marking a combination of Darach Honan, Caman Morey and Colin Ryan that night, they would have destroyed anyone nevermind a young rookie, Connors got cleaned in the corner aswell. That was a serious Clare inside forward line, they scored something redicolous like 4-13 between them in the semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Premierstone & Calvin Zola it was Shane Fives was full back against Clare that day he's overage now. this is his younger brother Darragh who is just out of minor were talking about. Different player entirely and twice the hurler Shane is to be fair. Id have no worries about him fullback

• Advertisement

Premierstone & Calvin Zola it was Shane Fives was full back against Clare that day he's overage now. this is his younger brother Darragh who is just out of minor were talking about. Different player entirely and twice the hurler Shane is to be fair. Id have no worries about him fullback

lol was thinking that he would have been very young in 2009 to be still on the team this year and is underage again next year!

Know the guy now yeah and an excellent hurler, again I would feel he has too much hurling to be restricted on the edge of the square, but as with all Waterford teams for a number of years now, FB seems to be a huge problem area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lads just wondering which way would ye get to Thurles from the city these days? In the past I'd always go Clonmel -> Cahir -> Cashel but Google seems to think it'll be at least 15 minutes quicker going up the M9, getting off at the south Kilkenny exit and going west from there across the R691. I didn't think it'd make much sense at first but looking at the map it does seem to be a bit more direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I've no doubt the team won't line out as per that team announced. Connors will go to the corner, Fives to full back, Prendergast to wing back and Philip Mahony to centre back. Have a good feeling Maurice will start too.

Fairly young team all the same with the majority underage for next year and even the year after.

Looking forward to this game, it'll be very tough but there's no harm going up and giving it a go. Anyone heading up?

Daysha wrote: »
    Lads just wondering which way would ye get to Thurles from the city these days? In the past I'd always go Clonmel -> Cahir -> Cashel but Google seems to think it'll be at least 15 minutes quicker going up the M9, getting off at the south Kilkenny exit and going west from there across the R691. I didn't think it'd make much sense at first but looking at the map it does seem to be a bit more direct.

Im sure Clonmel to Cahir, get on the M8 and drive to the Thurles exit? im sure there is a Thurles exit? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Im sure Clonmel to Cahir, get on the M8 and drive to the Thurles exit? im sure there is a Thurles exit? :confused:

Yeah there is, we'd usually just get off at the Horse and Jockey exit. But some of the lads were saying the other way will be quicker with the new motorway to Kilkenny. Thought the idea was cracked myself!

• Advertisement

Connors is going to be the seniors next full back in years to come, Fives was made bits of against Clare in 09 in the final, he is more suited to the corner

Was he, I reckon you have the wrong brother.

Exit 6 to turn off at Horse and Jockey (or close to) for Thurles, Exit 10 for Cahir on the way back.

Yeah there is, we'd usually just get off at the Horse and Jockey exit. But some of the lads were saying the other way will be quicker with the new motorway to Kilkenny. Thought the idea was cracked myself!

Really? cant see how it be quicker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deise Tiger

The most straight forward way is head to Clonmel, take the road to Cashel, head on the motorway for Dublin taking the exit for the Horse & Jockey. Going to Cahir would put a few miles onto your journey. If travelling this way, allow extra time for going through Clonmel if a good crowd travels. Traffic gets backed up due to the amount of roundabouts on the ring road.

A cross country route would be to head out the Kilkenny motorway, take the exit for Callan. Head into Callan via Dunamaggin. Go throught the village in Callan and onto the Clonmel/Kilkenny road. Turn righ there. Head along for a fewhundred yardsand turn left to Ballingarry (signposted). Go though Ballingarry village, follow on for a few miles and turn right (a narrow road) into Ballynonty (signposted). Go through the crossroads in Ballynonty village, head straight until you meet the old Dublin/Cork road. Turn right here, head a few hundred yards and turn left. This will lead you onto the road from the Horse and Jockey and Thurles.

Now i STRESS that this is a CROSS COUNTRY route. The roads are narrow once you leave the Kilkenny motorway. I drive it a good bit every week and it takes me roughly 75mins from going onto the Kilkenny motorway to the gates of the Stadium. I use it to avoid the trafficin Clonmel. Both route are roughly the same in distance, Clonmel roads would be alot better...

Anothe route is to head to Kilkenny, then head to Freshford and onto Urlingford. Thurles is a short distance from Urlingford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deise Tiger

If both teams perform to their capabilities, then we should have a cracking game. Tipp have a strong team but they will admit it is not near as good as the team of last year.

From NO's 8 to 15, they are very strong on paper although Denis Maher is a big loss to them. At midfield, Joe Gallagher won't be found wanting while Noel McGrath is simply a genius. Someone is going to be busy keeping an eye on him.

Sean Curran can be a handful for most defenders, Paddy Murphy is on the senior panel but can blow hot and cold. Adrian Ryan is a very versatile hurler. The inside line is where their main danger is - John O'Neill, Buggy O'Meara and John O'Dwyer. The corner men are excellent sticksmen while Buggy is a brilliant ball winner especially at this level.

The interesting thing is that our best area of the field is from 1-7 while they are from 8-15. Tipp backs are there to be got at. That saying, they are all very capable hurlers. Brian Stapleton at wing back will take watching. He tends to push forward but often forgets keep an eye on his own man. Saw him hurl midfield for his club a few weeks back and he was excellent. James Barry at Centreback can also be very loose.

Pity Maurice Shanahan and Brian O'Halloran are missing, hopefullythey will be fit to make an appearance at some stage..

Waterford have a great chance ofcoming out on top in this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

anyone know if this match is on tv/radio?

anyone know if this match is on tv/radio?

Definitely not on tv, WLR Fm might be covering it or just doing updates.

The most straight forward way is head to Clonmel, take the road to Cashel, head on the motorway for Dublin taking the exit for the Horse & Jockey. Going to Cahir would put a few miles onto your journey. If travelling this way, allow extra time for going through Clonmel if a good crowd travels. Traffic gets backed up due to the amount of roundabouts on the ring road.

A cross country route would be to head out the Kilkenny motorway, take the exit for Callan. Head into Callan via Dunamaggin. Go throught the village in Callan and onto the Clonmel/Kilkenny road. Turn righ there. Head along for a fewhundred yardsand turn left to Ballingarry (signposted). Go though Ballingarry village, follow on for a few miles and turn right (a narrow road) into Ballynonty (signposted). Go through the crossroads in Ballynonty village, head straight until you meet the old Dublin/Cork road. Turn right here, head a few hundred yards and turn left. This will lead you onto the road from the Horse and Jockey and Thurles.

Now i STRESS that this is a CROSS COUNTRY route. The roads are narrow once you leave the Kilkenny motorway. I drive it a good bit every week and it takes me roughly 75mins from going onto the Kilkenny motorway to the gates of the Stadium. I use it to avoid the trafficin Clonmel. Both route are roughly the same in distance, Clonmel roads would be alot better...

Anothe route is to head to Kilkenny, then head to Freshford and onto Urlingford. Thurles is a short distance from Urlingford.
    There's always someone who knows a better route to Thurles ;)

It might be shorter to cut off in Clonmel and head for Cashel, rather than to go straight on and head for Cahir, turning off at the round that leads to the motorway outside Cahir, but it is a far better road. If you get caught behind anything on the Clonmel to Cashel Road (its silage time of the year etc) you could be held up some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Looking forward to a great game tonight. I think the weather will oblige and it just might be very good fun. I really hope we win (and we have a decent chance) but as has been said by a few this is a young team and it will come again.

It's hard to know the impact (both mental & physical) of having played a senior intercounty match last weekend. It's definitely better than playing U21 the few days before a senior intercounty match (we saw that with Waterford last year). It may be hard to get back up for this tonight for the like of Noel McGrath. Then again - he is special and I am looking forward to watching him tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement