Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lots of people only have sky to get proper rte and tv3 pictures.

I agree, if at sometime in the future, Saorview can acquire a half decent bouquet of channels when muxes 3 & 4 come on stream it could well provide some competition for sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Unbelievable. Over 12 months of the current testing phase, RTÉNL can't have everything ready from the get go when the Saorview service is due for full launch in May.
    What will the Joe public think when his brand new super duper STB/iDTV goes on the blink for further testing/evaluation of the new DTT network. Tardy - wouldn't happen in the private sector. Launch date is a launch date, testing should be done & dusted. Enough to turn one back to Sky:mad:

Sorry, but have you watched TV3 atall? Isn't that in the private sector? Don't they have enough screw-ups for you?

Sorry, but have you watched TV3 atall? Isn't that in the private sector? Don't they have enough screw-ups for you?

TV3 has had an identity crisis since day one. It's as close to ITV as be-damned & should be called ITV Ireland. Whether the start date was a bad call by the Minister or a genuine inability by RTÉNL to meet the deadline laid down by him, isn't it ironic that a unit called the "Department of Communications" & ????, can't co-ordinate or communicate to form a consensus as to when everyone would be ready to go for full launch without any future disruptions required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dd02

The Cush wrote: »
    The names of authorised Saorview retailers started to appear on the Saorview website within the last week or two - http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/find-a-retailer/, http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/why-register/

I took a walk through 2 of the major retailers not yet listed on the Saorview Website - Harvey Norman's and Curry's. The inconsistency of information available from 2 of the 4 large retailers operating in Ireland is shocking. Harvey Norman has a sticker with a tri-colour saying something like Irish DTT Ready. I didn't think it was very prominent and so wasn't missed on the other TVs.
    Browsing in Curry's would lead anyone to believe that there was no imminent launch of DTT in Ireland. The labels and Tags are a re-print of the UK information with information on Freeview and Freeview HD and the odd MPEG4. Any reference to Irish DTT or seems to be only on manufacturer stickers. I am sure that at this stage of the Freeview launch in the UK there was abundant information in the shops.

I was particularly concerned with the number of small screen TVS in both shops which were on offer. These were Freeview/MPEG2 models. People are more likely to replace small screen bedroom and kitchen CRTs with a new LCD and wont want a set-top box solution. Many will believe that they are buying a compliant solution.

The Consumer Protection people really need to get involved in this now.

DD

It seems that they are leaving it up to the consumer to inform themselves re the attributes or lack thereof required for Saorview ~ "caveat emptor". I was strolling around my local Harvey Normans recently & I came across the TV I bought last year in Soundstore (Panny TX-L42D25L I knew even less then than what I do now :o) with the same sticker, but it can't do MHEG5. Last Christmas my daughter was looking for a small screen for her bedroom & when I asked in my local "Expert" retailer if it had "digital text", he said yeah sure & flashed up the standard EBU text. When I told him about MHEG5 & a text service similar to Sky text I think the guy was looking around for a hole to jump into to hide his blushes! I was in retail for the Euro changeover & we had to make sure we knew what the hell was going on long before the changeover happened. It seems that some electrical outlets are winging it right up to launch both on awareness & stock capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

RTÉNL Distribution Sites

These are 10 sites where RTE does not propose to install DTT gear but where they will use the towers as links between DTT sites. Gear could easily be added as they have no intention of abandoning these sites. They all seem to be in Cork Kerry and Donegal

DISTRIBUTION SITES Site Co-ords Site Owner Site Operator Barnesmore Gap ITM 603712,885456 Towercom RTÉNL Baile-Na-Meeltoge ITM 605714,819522 RTÉNL RTÉNL
    Skreen ITM 695821,761161 RTÉNL RTÉNL

Mohercrom ITM 672197,796224 RTÉNL RTÉNL
    Coolderry ITM 591638,730031 RTÉNL RTÉNL
    Castletown ITM 544584,631452 RTÉNL RTÉNL
    Kildorrery ITM 571050,610454 RTÉNL/Eircom RTÉNL
    Barravakeen ITM 625403,619454 RTÉNL RTÉNL
    Crohaun ITM 627254, 600855 Vodafone RTÉNL
    Crissard ITM 658289,685244 RTÉNL RTÉNL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Saorview launch article from next weeks RTÉ Guide (28 May - 3 Jun), out today.

eqcnz5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

^^ Thanks.

Says the Champions League Final is gonna be in HD, despite other announcements that only two events will be HD this weekend (Magners League final and Cork-Tipp MHC).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

plazzTT wrote: »
    ^^ Thanks.

Says the Champions League Final is gonna be in HD, despite other announcements that only two events will be HD this weekend (Magners League final and Cork-Tipp MHC).

I thought that Die Hard 4 would be broadcast in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Interesting to note that the Saorview article quotes the launch date as 28th May, while Mary Curtis has it as launching on the 26th of May.

I wonder which is right?

Interesting to note that the Saorview article quotes the launch date as 28th May, while Mary Curtis has it as launching on the 26th of May.

I wonder which is right?

The "trial" is from 26 until 28, the report will be filed with the Minister letting him know that RTÉ Plus would be a better idea then half a plus one channel.

I wonder which is right?

They're both correct - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72341650&postcount=8

26th May - Saorview official launch by Pat Rabbitte, Minister for Communications
    28th May - Saorview full service platform launch

26th May - Saorview official trial launch by Pat Rabbitte, Minister for Communications
    28th May - Saorview full official phase 2 service platform launch

Fixed :)

Ah the absolutely lovely mary curtis.
    I've met her in real life,so theres to be no dissing:D

To be honest I agree I think I am just being impatient with the whole thing. Sin é.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hmm, the article/infomercial starts to say "How will Saorview affect you, it depends on how you are currently receiving your TV. Most people recieving their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial..."

But most people, in Dublin at any rate, don't recieve their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial. I live in an estate of over 1,000 houses and you'd be streched to find a single house in it with a rooftop aerial. Even houses with Sky.

RTÉ need to get accross the message that DSO will affect multichannel households differently, in that they won't need to worry about those sets that are rigged up to cable/satellite systems. They are either already receiving a digital signal, or an analogue cable signal that UPC have no short term plans to switch off.

For those sets that aren't, they have the option of getting Saorview - if they can - or going for UPC/Sky multiroom. In fact Saorview may not be an option for some people. I can't get a decent Saorview signal on my portable with a powered set-top aerial (lots of freezing). I can't get a Saorview signal at all with an ordinary rabbits ears. Erecting a rooftop aerial won't be an option for people living in apartments. Even for people living in houses, going for UPC multiroom (even if its just an additional analogue tap) may be more cost effective than having a rooftop aerial installed.

icdg wrote: »
    Hmm, the article/infomercial starts to say "How will Saorview affect you, it depends on how you are currently receiving your TV. Most people recieving their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial..."

According to you it says "Most people receiving their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial..." not "Most people receive their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial..."

-ING can change the meaning of a sentence very easily.

In case anyone doubts you, a pic :D

16ga5ts.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I agree with Black Briar Mary is a Lovely person to deal with.
    Black Briar, :p:p Myself and Mary are on First name terms.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

icdg wrote: »

But most people, in Dublin at any rate, don't recieve their TV through an ordinary rooftop aerial. I live in an estate of over 1,000 houses and you'd be streched to find a single house in it with a rooftop aerial. Even houses with Sky.

RTÉ need to get accross the message that DSO will affect multichannel households differently, in that they won't need to worry about those sets that are rigged up to cable/satellite systems. They are either already receiving a digital signal, or an analogue cable signal that UPC have no short term plans to switch off.

For those sets that aren't, they have the option of getting Saorview - if they can - or going for UPC/Sky multiroom. In fact Saorview may not be an option for some people. I can't get a decent Saorview signal on my portable with a powered set-top aerial (lots of freezing). I can't get a Saorview signal at all with an ordinary rabbits ears. Erecting a rooftop aerial won't be an option for people living in apartments. Even for people living in houses, going for UPC multiroom (even if its just an additional analogue tap) may be more cost effective than having a rooftop aerial installed.

I have to put a caveat on that, quite a lot of people in Dublin within the M50 simply use a loft aerial or rabbits ears even for analogue reception especially in places which are mainly rented. The higher ERPs for DTT from Three Rock will only encourage people to stick with indoor aerials after DSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most people actually live OUTSIDE the M50.

Most people don't even live in Dublin.

watty wrote: »
    Most people actually live OUTSIDE the M50.

Most people don't even live in Dublin.
    Thanks watty, but I was addressing a point from ICDG which was discussing people who live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lots of people in Dublin need a roof aerial unless the attic roof side has clear view of Three Rock.

watty wrote: »
    Lots of people in Dublin need a roof aerial unless the attic roof side has clear view of Three Rock.
    I don't see what this had to do with the earlier point. I'm merely observing that in Dublin there is a high preponderence to using indoor aerials and rabbits ears and also loft aerials and this helps explain why there is such a dearth of rooftop aerials in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

It might be worth adding that for Irish citizens resident outside Ireland that they should continue to subscribe to Sky Ireland for access to the basic Irish TV channels if they live within the footprint of Astra 2D.

Saorview and Saorsat will not be available.

In addition Irish citizens living outside Ireland and beyond the footprint of Astra 2D can subscribe to one of many IP Proxy services in order to access the full RTE Player. A selection of RTE programming is available for International audiences.

Any queries on this should be addressed to:

Conor Hayes
    Chief Financial Officer
    Raidio Teilifís Éireann
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

using the reference "Tara Television/RTÉ International"

:mad:

rlogue wrote: »
    It might be worth adding that for Irish citizens resident outside Ireland that they should continue to subscribe to Sky Ireland for access to the basic Irish TV channels if they live within the footprint of Astra 2D.

In addition Irish citizens living outside Ireland and beyond the footprint of Astra 2D can subscribe to one of many IP Proxy services in order to access the full RTE Player. A selection of RTE programming is available for International audiences.

Conor Hayes
    Chief Financial Officer
    Raidio Teilifís Éireann
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

It might need to be address to UPC also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I'd need a rather long cable to connect myself to UPC Elmo!

I'd need a rather long cable to connect myself to UPC Elmo!

Sorry perhaps a letter to Liberty Global.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Conor Hayes
    Chief Financial Officer
    Raidio Teilifís Éireann
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

And you should add you are willing to pay the Irish licence fee as well .

Advertisement