Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    As money is being made available for the NI muxes RTÉ/TG4 should take this opportunity to expand their content to other areas, through joint funding the project for an International Channel along side their NI transmissions, I assume such a "not for profit company" could make some returns for joined up thinking on the issue of an International Channel and NI deployment.

Who is making the money available? Can you quote the source of this information? The budget made no provision for such funding.

As Black Briar posted
    Ray and Des did say RTE themselves were paying for carriage in NI and that this would be DVBT2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Who is making the money available? Can you quote the source of this information? The budget made no provision for such funding.

As Black Briar posted

Okay, I am sorry for suggesting something. I know you are right the non-for-profit company that will take care of carriage for NI muxes from RTÉ and TG4 should only concern them with NI carriage. The idea of anything else that might allow for some economies of scale for the additional International Service shouldn't even be thought of at any stage. I mean TG4 and RTÉ getting together to launch a International channel its just madness.

Now back to the thread on Public Information about Saorview rather than Freeview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I knew I was hallucinating or something...I've never seen the terms "RTE" and "joined up thinking" in the same thread before :rolleyes

The idea of anything else that might allow for some economies of scale for the additional International Service shouldn't even be thought of at any stage. I mean TG4 and RTÉ getting together to launch a International channel its just madness.
    No, the suggestion is good but the facts are
    - The Broadcasting Act gives responsibility to RTÉ for such a service
    - Nothing in the Act preventing RTÉ carrying content from other Irish broadcasters but who pays them for that content?
    - No funding available for such a service right now. DTT is costing in the region of €70 million, funding required for the NI mux, licence fee payment to RTÉ reduced by €10 million in the budget and advertising spend is down.

The only broadcaster with any money now is TV3 :D

The Cush wrote: »
    The only broadcaster with any money now is TV3 :D

Shhh just don't tell anyone that TV3's revenue is down by 8% since 2008. Keep it on the QT. But hey since they are so amazing perhaps they should invest some of their money into an International Channel or a Digital Transmission System, easy to make money when your overheads aren't all that high due to Publicly funded infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The sooner a full public information campaign is rolled out the better.People really don't have a clue what Saorview is.Heard yesterday of one guy who is ditching Sky and getting Saorview as he'll "get ALL the Sky channels on it for free".
    This is just an example of public ignorance of the service and leaves a huge amount of people vunerable to being ripped off with uncertified equipment and dodgy dealers.
    Already I've witnessed 'official saorview agents':rolleyes: advertising their wares.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

People do seem to becoming more aware of the brand now with the adverts etc, though when I'm asked, they tend to be underwhelmed when I mention channel lineup.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    This is just an example of public ignorance of the service and leaves a huge amount of people vunerable to being ripped off with uncertified equipment and dodgy dealers.
    Already I've witnessed 'official saorview agents':rolleyes: advertising their wares.

You must have been down the New Ross way then Zerks;)

Is this part of what you saw Zerks

scaller wrote: »
    You must have been down the New Ross way then Zerks;)

Don't even have to go that far to see overpriced uncertified stuff advertised.You'd nearly buy a new telly for some of the prices quoted for box installs with a cheap as chips aerial.

• Advertisement

Were you walking through the Market Square lately Zerks.;);)

Is this part of what you saw Zerks

The very one,they must be pretty amazing to get that before anyone else or the certification scheme launch.

The names of authorised Saorview retailers started to appear on the Saorview website within the last week or two - http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/find-a-retailer/, http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/why-register/

List of upcoming trade events has also appeared on the website - http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/upcoming-events/
    Monday 28th March – Silversprings Hotel Cork
    Presentation: 1.45pm – 4:30pm

For directions please click on the link below;
    http://www.moranhotels.com/silver-springs-moran-hotel/getting-here-from.html

Tuesday 05th April 2011 – The Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, Dublin
    Presentation: 10.45am – 1.30pm

http://www.louisfitzgeraldhotel.com/map_directions.html

Tuesday 12th April 2011 – The Hodson Bay Hotel, Athlone
    Presentation: 1.45pm – 4.30pm

http://www.hodsonbayhotel.com/location.html

The Presentation Format is as follows;

- Saorview Transmission
    - Approved equipment
    - Guidelines for installations
    - Saorview Consumer communications Plan
    - Information on SAORVIEW marketing support through POS and information packs, including FAQs to assist with customer queries to support the sales process.

Please email trade@saorview.ie to confirm number of attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

Can ordinary mortals attend these things or do they check for trade credentials?

Trade only. Invite through Email or Letter.

By the way Des told us he was amazed and continues to be amazed at the unexpected coverage of dtt in the sense that you either have it or you don't and when you do it can be far away in places not expected.

Mullaghanish for example is giving good coverage way out in the western part of the arran islands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mullaghanish for example is giving good coverage way out in the western part of the arran islands.

I got Mullagh in Kilkee on whatever aerial was installed in the house there. I expected Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Coverage from Clermont Carn has been a little disappointing so far, I really hope this substantially improves though this improvement is in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Apogee wrote: »
    You are able to view RTÉ1 in digital but not the others? That doesn't make any sense. What model of TV do you have?
    Apogee, it sounds like the poster's TV is connected to cable TV.
    RTE1 is unencrypted on digital cable, but RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e are encrypted along with the UK terrestrial and satellite channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

Antenna wrote: »
    Apogee, it sounds like the poster's TV is connected to cable TV.
    RTE1 is unencrypted on digital cable, but RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e are encrypted along with the UK terrestrial and satellite channels.

That's what I suspected too. He did mention that he bought an "aerial lead" but didn't say what he connected it to - I assumed a pair of rabbit ears. But when posters don't supply enough info - not even the model of the TV - who can be sure?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Apogee wrote: »
    That's what I suspected too. He did mention that he bought an "aerial lead" but didn't say what he connected it to - I assumed a pair of rabbit ears. But when posters don't supply enough info - not even the model of the TV - who can be sure?

lal, I sold that TV and just bought a brand new https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C530-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003EEM1LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302347524&sr=8-1
    I can now get all the saorview channels. Savage picture as well - didn't even have to adjust any settings. Did an automatic scan and everything was dandy.

However I'm wondering why RTE aren't bothering to include free-to-air euro channels like eurosport, filmfour, and whatnot.

jayteecork wrote: »
    However I'm wondering why RTE aren't bothering to include free-to-air euro channels like eurosport, filmfour, and whatnot.

Because they would have to pay for positions as they pay for positions on FTA satellite and other FTA platforms. Just as RTÉ and TG4 will pay to be on the mini-Mux in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jayteecork wrote: »

They would need to pay for them.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    They would need to pay for them.

By the way just when we say They we mean Channel Four, TF1 Group etc would have to pay for carriage on the Saorview network like any other FTA TV channel provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

By the way just when we say They we mean Channel Four, TF1 Group etc would have to pay for carriage on the Saorview network like any other FTA TV channel provider.

I can just see TF1 champing at the bit to get onto the Saorview network. Maybe it would be an opportunity for M. Sarkozy to beam Frog propaganda into our homes in order to soften the Irish into increasing the Corporation Tax rate??

rlogue wrote: »
    I can just see TF1 champing at the bit to get onto the Saorview network. Maybe it would be an opportunity for M. Sarkozy to beam Frog propaganda into our homes in order to soften the Irish into increasing the Corporation Tax rate??

I was thing of TF1 in relation to EuroSport. Also France24 do that every night on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

The service goes offical from May 11th 2011. It was also mentioned that there will be Disruption from time to time on the Saorview service over the summer months and that the public will be informed about the disruptions. I am quite surprised that not many more boards members were at the the Seminar.

Unbelievable. Over 12 months of the current testing phase, RTÉNL can't have everything ready from the get go when the Saorview service is due for full launch in May.
    What will the Joe public think when his brand new super duper STB/iDTV goes on the blink for further testing/evaluation of the new DTT network. Tardy - wouldn't happen in the private sector. Launch date is a launch date, testing should be done & dusted. Enough to turn one back to Sky:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Enough to turn one back to Sky:mad:

Saorview cannot be looked at as a rival service to Sky Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Saorview cannot be looked at as a rival service to Sky Digital.

May not be, but where I am, up till now with the crappy VHF signal we've had, where you couldn't see the hole on a golf green or the sloitar in a hurling game, Sky (or Chorus/NTL) are the only options otherwise you have to pay Sky for the entertainment pack to get RTÉ & the other Ireland channels as part of the "bonus pack", the only real reason I've had Sky in the first place.
    Point to note, now that Saorview is available & I have a TV with DTT & freesat HD built in, it'll be bye-bye to Sky very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lots of people only have sky to get proper rte and tv3 pictures.

Advertisement