Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy Conditions 21st-23rd May

Options

Comments

Getting very windy now in the squally showers.

where you?

wind gusting stronger here and with shorter intervals
    West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Storm to the north, high to the south, jetstream passing through the middle of the country. Does this not spell tornado potential for any spot between Galway and Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just starting to pick up now here, was pretty calm up to now, garden will be a mess of horizontal flowers by morning:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

where you?

wind gusting stronger here and with shorter intervals
    West Dublin

Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    Storm to the north, high to the south, jetstream passing through the middle of the country. Does this not spell tornado potential for any spot between Galway and Dublin??

Yeah MT mentioned that in his last update, the potential is there for tornado's in the south and midlands

The wind is noticeably picking up here now, just had a new max gust of 41.8km/hr in the past 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

M6 buoy was gusting to 54 knots at 0200h. The gradient looks quite fierce on the 3h forecast product on the met.ie website. Timing is unfortunately almost perfect for delivering the winds at maximum strength during the morning to mid-day hours. We didn't talk about this before, but one lucky thing is that we are almost midway from full moon to new moon and this would reduce possible storm surges on west coast bays and harbours. Even so, there could be some limited overtopping around Galway and Mayo at high tides.

Valentia is gusting to 40 knots, staying within 10 of Belmullet so far, which I think confirms my suspicion that the wind field would expand and be fairly intense across all regions.

The strongest winds are still 150-250 miles offshore and the system continues to develop. Further updates from me likely to be in the form of the next morning forecast, but I imagine some of our regular observers will be moved to post observations despite the late hour, as the wind is likely to keep some people awake tonight in the northwest especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A further 16.9mm of rain between midnight & 6.00am in Sham town pushing my May monthly total so far up to 111.5mm. :) Blustery at the moment but nothing exceptional as of yet.

I plotted a quick graph charting the highest gust speeds at Belmullet during the month of May between 1987 & 2010 (as per the Met Eireann Monthly Weather Bulletin)

160104.jpg

As M.T noted in an earlier post, it is the exception rather than the rule for maximum gust speeds to exceed 60 knots during May at Belmullet station. Maximum gust recorded at the station during May between 1987 & 2010 was 66 knots on the 7th May 2003.

Will be interesting to see what the maximum gust speed will be at the station today.

Belmullet Data C/O:
    Met Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Nothing happening here atm ...bit breezy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The highest gust I've recorded here in Galway City so far is 75km/h at 5.50am

Wind is SW'ly in direction - mean speed 38 km/h

Baro 1003.4hPa - Falling Slowly

The record set on 7 May 2003 occurred with a similar looking low although at map times (00z 7th, 8th) it was 10 mbs less intense than today's. This suggests Belmullet could hit 70-75 kts for a peak gust later today.

Have seen gusts to 60 kts at M6 buoy several hours in a row as winds there have veered from SSW to WSW. Low is about 978 mbs and located near 56N 14 W or outer Donegal Bay heading northeast. Models suggest strongest gradient between 0900 and 1200h.

Now it's mainly a case of radar watching for any locally severe storm gusts.

There has been a major tornado disaster in the U.S. Sunday, in Joplin MO, and this alone may affect the Obama visit even if your weather doesn't.

(he might decide to stay in America)

I am pulling an "all-nighter" local time to watch this, at least until I feel like the risk of severe wind gusts has ended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust recorded here in Waterford City so far is 47km/h at 06.45. Wind slowly getting stronger though.

Data from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Really started to gust here now. Small branches already down. Goes completely calm for a few seconds and then BAM !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Udo this morning

Image Courtesy EUMETSAT
    8qNRbCOjce8Op.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

0700 Gust record Belmullet 62kt with 40+ from Malin to Roches Point to Casement to Cork Airport and Sherkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Suddenly got very gusty here with torrential rain. I've never seen so many leaves fall from the trees in May. This must be destroying vegetation in the North West.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Horrible conditions here, Co Laois, driving rain.

Bodes well for a good summer - but signs are it will be a bad winter.

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Carlow has been cleansed..

Haven't seen rain like this in many many years..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Was very windy between 5am & 7am here, has died down a little now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Business as usual in the west. Some very big sustained gusts. There are alot of big old trees on the road to school. This should be interesting, already had some rotten branches fell off yesterday.

At 0800h Belmullet reported 71 kt gust, this according to DE's post would be a new record for May (recent past anyway).

I think the central pressure has fallen to about 973 mbs despite all short-term models depicting closer to 980, based on 978 mbs at K4 buoy which is at least 100 nm from the centre (now at 57N 13W).

The system is travelling almost as fast as the maximum gusts, so if it manages to phase totally, it could increase to 80 kts or more for max gusts.

The big question now is what happens in 2-3 hours when squally showers start coming inland around Galway. This needs to be watched very closely for local storm development. Satellite shows a clear patch offshore between the frontal cloud inland and the developing CBs out to the west. At the rate the system is moving these will be able to cross Ireland in 2-3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Wow, 82mph gust at Belmullet - in May! We're not even at peak wind yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Bucketing down now in Dublin 9, don't want to get off the bus....!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Bets on O'Bama not being able to travel by helicopter?;)

It should die down a bit by the time he gives his open air address.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

15mxph4.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Tricky driving this morning especially with high sided vehicles, I really noticed with gaps in the hedge row along the roadside the wind is funneling through it and catches the vehicle its really more noticeable than a winter storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Image at 7am BST.

160107.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind just died a death here. Down to 12km/h. Feels almost calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

At 0800h Belmullet reported 71 kt gust, this according to DE's post would be a new record for May (recent past anyway).

Updated table going back to 1958:

160110.jpg

Strongest May wind gust at Belmullet (previous to today) was 69 kts back in May '64. So so far, 2011 has broken the record by 2 knots!

Edit: 9.28am. record now broken by 9 knots.

I await next update from the met :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

BELMULLET 78 kts (144kph)

(0Z GFS was showing max wind gusts around 60-65 for that area for 9am)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Wind just died a death here. Down to 12km/h. Feels almost calm.
    Eye of the storm?

Advertisement