Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Apparently, the official Froyo update for the Europa(and i5800 Apollo for that matter) is comging "before the end of March" :)

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/03/14/samsung-romania-android-23-coming-galaxy-s-android-22-i5500-and-i5800/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Will it be up to each carrier in Ireland to roll this out or can Kies just do it? Also if i upgraded with the unofficial one and it works great, should i upgrade with the official one or is it the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Apparently, the official Froyo update for the Europa(and i5800 Apollo for that matter) is comging "before the end of March" :)

Wonder if the impending update is anything to do with the fact that Samsung Apps updated on my my phone and now shows menus.. granted those menus are blank but it's a start..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Will it be up to each carrier in Ireland to roll this out or can Kies just do it? Also if i upgraded with the unofficial one and it works great, should i upgrade with the official one or is it the same thing?

the leaked official one may have been improved since, so best to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

delta36 wrote: »
    Wonder if the impending update is anything to do with the fact that Samsung Apps updated on my my phone and now shows menus.. granted those menus are blank but it's a start..

I was wondering why that happened.

• Advertisement

the leaked official one may have been improved since, so best to upgrade

cool il upgrade when the official release is out, how can i back up my apps as i lost them all when i upgraded last time, is there a way to prevent this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Are you rooted or not?

If yes:

The Free version of Titanium Backup Root should help you do what you want.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

Just to say.. I love this phone. My needs were Google services, mail and very light web access, along with simple Market access, in a *small phone under 120 euro.*

I got stung once with data use before discovering the ease with which you can restrict access on 2.2.

I've migrated from a Nokia 6230, so the camera isn't something that's dissapointed me too much, you get a lot of features in a tight package.

The screen resolution is low, but given my needs, it isn't something that bothers me.

cool il upgrade when the official release is out, how can i back up my apps as i lost them all when i upgraded last time, is there a way to prevent this?

Why did you wipe???
    You shouldnt end up wiping for it, do a Titanium backup anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Noticed yesterday that there is a firmware update for the phone via Kies. Tried to update the phone, followed all of the prompts, and left it there for about 1.5 hrs with the downloading screen on the phone. Got fed up & disconnected it. It didn't update so I tried again later. Same thing happened.

Has anyone else tried to update? or can anyone offer guidance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I ordered one of these today. Really excited to get it, should be arriving on Tuesday. Looking forward to playing around with setting it up properly too. Are there any first timer how tos I should be reading?

Has anyone used the TouchOSC app on it? I'm most excited to get that working.

Edit; "rooting" was the word I needed to Google... Reading this now.

El Pr0n, that looks a bit over the top for the phone you intend to root. Some of the advice on that page is for more advanced phones.

I would suggest visiting xda-developers and reading up on the SuperOneClick thread. 1.7 works perfectly with the Samsung Europa.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

It is a one click solution to Root the phone and installing SU (Super User).

I rooted my Europa with the above link. Please read what the app developer is saying at the start of the thread, particularly the advice written in red.

You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode
    You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed
    Make sure you DO NOT mount your SD card.
    If you still can't get something to run, try doing it in recovery mode.

You will need Samsung Kies installed before using the above.

http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as

---

EDIT: Just to say, Rooting isn't some magical be all and end all, you'll still have a phone whether you Root it or not. If you have to ask yourself\you're not sure why you need to Root, then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Cheers for the links Amalgam!
    Amalgam wrote: »
    EDIT: Just to say, Rooting isn't some magical be all and end all, you'll still have a phone whether you Root it or not. If you have to ask yourself\you're not sure why you need to Root, then don't.

Well I'm a bit of a nerd, I build music programs with Pd (hence why I want to get TouchOSC working) and I like playing around in Linux and things like that, so the idea of getting my hands dirty with my new toy seems sorta exciting. I'll see how I go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andalon

Amalgam wrote: »
    I got stung once with data use before discovering the ease with which you can restrict access on 2.2.

Seems I got stung too, for a little bit of internet radio...
    is there a way of controling the data tranfer, and have it cut off at e.g. 45 MB (if I have an allowance of 50 MB a day) to protect me from robbery? :)

Thanks for useful hints!

andalon wrote: »
    ..is there a way of controling the data tranfer, and have it cut off at e.g. 45 MB (if I have an allowance of 50 MB a day) to protect me from robbery? :)

A search for 'Data usage' on the Android Market brings up a good few results.

https://market.android.com/search?q=Data+usage&c=apps

The 'Free' versions seem ok, but most of the 'Free' software encourage you to pay for Pro versions with extras like.. the features you want: warnings and various other alerts.

I haven't seen any (so far), that cut you off.

Anyway, click above and have a mooch at the listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭deflemonkid

Just tried updating to the latest firmware using kies. How long should it take?

Kies has finished but my phone has a yellow android symbol in the style of a roadworks sign and says downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you mean odin rather than kies?

it took my about 15 mins start to finish. The battery is so much better with 2.2, its ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Is the official 2.2 available yet on Keis for the i5500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Still not available on Kies

Is your phone sim free or from a particular phone company?

As far as I can tell, from the Samsung forums, Kies has been pushing 2.2 out to the Samsung Europa since about March 6th.

• Advertisement

On Three

Surely if its on Kies it would update regardless no???

Clueless here

youngblood wrote: »
    On Three

Surely if its on Kies it would update regardless no???

Clueless here

Three will likely need a few months to add their crapware
    I had delays of two months for minor updates on my 6120c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Any of you have problems with the alarm on this phone? For me, it seems to forget to go off some mornings, while others there are no problems.

Now I realise that when it forgets to go off I get some valuable extra rest, but I think my boss will not be too understanding should it keep happening.

Major Problems, as in Ive resorted to myother old phone as my alarm!
    When I unlock my phone it goes off-must be a problem with the settings but clueless

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you use a task killer app? I think that screwed up the alarm for me, each time I use a task killing app I have re-setted the alarm and its worked as would be expected

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

gimmick wrote: »
    Any of you have problems with the alarm on this phone? For me, it seems to forget to go off some mornings, while others there are no problems.

Now I realise that when it forgets to go off I get some valuable extra rest, but I think my boss will not be too understanding should it keep happening.

Yeah this has happened to me, I have the alarm set for Monday to Friday, every now and again it picks a random morning not to go off.

I got rid of a task killer, 2.2 on my Europa i use the task manager that comes as stock on it, alarm clock works fine since i stopped using a task killer.

On a side note, what is best for rooting this phone? Also are there benefits for the europa such as custom roms? I cant seem to find anything worth while to warrant rooting this phone.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At least it is not just my phone so. I do not have a task killer so cannot be that.

Meh, must figure out how to use my ipod dock as an alarm then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://it.paperblog.com/samsung-corby-i5500-disponibile-android-froyo-22-342534/

Good new folks, sounds like the Europa is finally getting Froyo(The froyo SDK was released last MAY, i might add... :rolleyes:). Doesn't seem to be here yet though, plugged my sisters i5500 into kies and nothing is coming up. It'll probably become available for us when the Galaxy S gets Gingerbread here, which should be in the next 24 hours surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://it.paperblog.com/samsung-corby-i5500-disponibile-android-froyo-22-342534/

Good new folks, sounds like the Europa is finally getting Froyo(The froyo SDK was released last MAY, i might add... :rolleyes:). Doesn't seem to be here yet though, plugged my sisters i5500 into kies and nothing is coming up. It'll probably become available for us when the Galaxy S gets Gingerbread here, which should be in the next 24 hours surely
    i think it depends what network you're with and if they are gonna release it, i'm with o2 and they wont release it

ya can download the european froyo and flash it to the phone and its realy easy
    download odin http://www.4shared.com/file/J-WSCJSX/odin_v428_and_ops_file.html and the euro froyo http://hotfile.com/dl/103739297/0756f29/I5500XWJP9.rar.html

make sure ya do a backup with kies first

turn off the phone and pull the battery for a few seconds, put it back and hold volume down, the power and select buttons till a yellow android figure appears, connect to a pc and start odin

make sure auto reboot and protect ops are ticked, click ops and it select it, it's in the same folder as odin
    all the other files are in the second download
    click boot and then select BOOTLOADER_I5500XXJPF.tar.md5
    click phone and select MODEM_I5500.tar.md5
    click pda and select PDA_I5500XWJP9_CL880109.tar.md5
    click csc and select I5500OXXJP3_CSC_OXX_CL832222.tar.md5
    efs doesn't matter

the first box on the top should of turned yellow when ya connected the phone so click start and then wait, the phone might restart once or twice but wait until the yellow box turns blue i think and it says pass

the phone will probably boot in german but look for the settings icon, little blue gear and go into that and look for sprache or spruche and select english

its much better on froyo

Advertisement