Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

This bit pissed me off:
    But for the majority of the country’s consumers, who receive their TV from satellite providers such as Sky or cable companies like UPC, the changeover will barely register. As far as most Irish viewers are concerned, the television will not be revolutionised.

Nor is Saorview quite the multi-channel bonanza that it seems for the approximately 340,000 analogue-only households at whom it is primarily targeted.

Saorview should and I do hope will be aimed at everyone to inform people and discourage them away from the waste of money that is pay TV. This is what the so-called efficient market is supposed to be all about - the informed consumer given the facts makes a rational choice. The "consumer" hasn't been given the facts in this case.

At first glance, Saorview appears to be offering a much-expanded suite of RTÉ services, but there is not much that is really new....It is a long way from UK digital channels such as BBC3 and BBC4, which have been platforms for original programming.

Not much that is new? How about people who are currently paying monthly bills to NTL or Sky to watch channels they won't and don't need to pay for (outside of a licence fee of course).
    But even this slim package

The article seems like nothing more than a cover for pay TV with little nuggets like this belitting the service.
    THE EQUIPMENT YOU NEED

The DTT signal can be received on all televisions from most aerials using a Saorview approved set-top box, due to retail at about €100. So far, only two models have been approved, both by Walker Technology Products, though more are promised before May. In addition some households may need to adjust or replace their aerial:

Don't get me started on this piece of crap. No mention of Mpeg4/Mheg5 equipped televisions and since when can the DTT signal be recieved on all televisions from an aerial? Did I miss a memo?

Nowhere in the article does the writer inform that you can get BBC et al for free with a dish. What a jip :mad: Someone here should write in to Madam to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Nowhere in the article does the writer inform that you can get BBC et al for free with a dish. What a jip :mad: Someone here should write in to Madam to address this.

The articles are specifically discussing the launch this week of the Saorview DTT public awareness/information campaign. They've previously published article(s) on the free satellite channels that were discussed here on the boards at that time.
    Saorview should and I do hope will be aimed at everyone to inform people and discourage them away from the waste of money that is pay TV. This is what the so-called efficient market is supposed to be all about - the informed consumer given the facts makes a rational choice. The "consumer" hasn't been given the facts in this case.

The primary market for Saorview is the "analogue only aerial" households which according to a recent Dept of Comms survey is the 16% of TV homes (c.254k households) who rely on terrestrial television. 10% have access to the Irish TV channels (Irish terrestrial) only, with 6% having access to the UK channels (multi-terrestrial) also.

Also, 32% of TV homes (511k) have an outdoor aerial of some type highlighting that many more TV viewers use the terrestrial services on secondary TV sets in the home.

The remaining households rely completely on pay TV be it Sky or UPC cable/MMDS.

Once the public awareness campaign starts this week anyone that's interested in receiving digital TV via an aerial will have the "facts" pushed at them thru TV adverts or available at their fingertips. Many pay TV subscribers will have no interest in Soarview because of the limited number of channels.
    and since when can the DTT signal be recieved on all televisions from an aerial? Did I miss a memo?

As the quote says "the DTT signal can be received on all televisions from most aerials using a Saorview approved set-top box"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Campaign seemed to kick off this morning on Radio 1. I was a little dozy, but I could swear that "the man" from RTE said that if you have been receiving TV through an aerial up to now you *will* need to get a new box when they switch the analog signals off at the end of 2012.

He seemed to forget that there are already people picking up digital signals with non-saorview TV tuners and other set top boxes.

z

p.s. am still a bit dozy and haven't been following this for a while, so if I've missed something important then apologies.

nah ...in fairness to him that was after discussing hd tv starting in september proper including gaa and the rugby world cup,movies and u.s series.
    He was then asked what about people who don't want to change tv,who say they aren't interested in all that and want to just continue watching.

In reply to that he stated they'd need a set top box which are about a 100 euro now but that that price would be coming down as more and more stb's are approved.
    He wasn't given enough time for the piece and did not mention mpeg 4 tv's specifically.

zagmund wrote: »
    Campaign seemed to kick off this morning on Radio 1. I was a little dozy, but I could swear that "the man" from RTE said that if you have been receiving TV through an aerial up to now you *will* need to get a new box when they switch the analog signals off at the end of 2012.

Morning Ireland interview with RTÉ's Rory Coveney (Digital Switchover’s communications manager). Podcast available - http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-1503111sthour28m24smorningireland-pid0-1704288.mp3 (starts at 21:30 mins).

Some points from the interview
    - Carriage deals have to be arranged within the next few weeks (3e??)
    - Final 2% to be covered by FTA satellite with details to be announced later in the year
    - 40% of content on RTÉ 2 will be HD
    - New Saorview website to be launched tomorrow - Wed (campaign launch?)
    - Helpline No. 1890 22 2012

Cathal Mac Coille getting his setup box and set top box mixed up :D

Edit: Later TV reports
    Six One News report: Getting ready for the big switch-off
    Nuacht report (starts at 8:05 mins)
    News on Two report (starts at 14:17 mins)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

The Cush wrote: »
    Cathal Mac Coille getting his setup box and set top box mixed up :D

I actually found it hard to hear what Rory Coveney was saying because Mac Coille wouldn't shut up. Rory tried to correct him about the set top box - but he was being talked over at the time :confused:

Link to the RTÉNL SAORVIEW FAQ's rev_1 removed from the RTÉNL website, rev_2 on the way?

Rev. 2 now available.

RTÉNL Saorview FAQs - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RTENL%20SAORVIEW%20FAQs%20March%202011%20Rev%202_0.pdf

When does it launch May or June?

All the documentation to date has indicated Saorview will launch in May this year e.g. the Saorview FAQ above.

But this news report on the RTÉ website says June :confused:. Is it an error or has the launch date slipped?
    Free digital TV service to launch in Ireland

A brand new digital TV service, Saorview, which will significantly improve the quality of TV signals throughout Ireland is to launch in June this year.

A brand new digital TV service which will significantly improve the quality of TV signals throughout Ireland and bring three new TV channels to 1.6m homes free of charge is to launch in June this year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/money/general/free-digital-tv-service-to-launch-in-ireland.html

From the RTÉ news report - http://www.rte.ie/news/money/general/free-digital-tv-service-to-launch-in-ireland.html
    10 step guide to Saorview

What do I need to get Saorview?
    A set-top box which will cost around €100. Prices are expected to drop as more manufacturers start supplying decoders.

Do I need a new aerial?
    Saorview is designed to work with an ordinary UHF aerial. There is no such thing as a digital aerial. However some older aerials may not be suitable but this will be a tiny minority of cases.

Do I need a separate box for every TV?
    Yes. But you only need one aerial.

What will the signal be like?
    Digital pictures offer inherently better quality picture and sound that standard TV. High Definition television offers pictures generally described as five times better in quality than standard definition.

How do I find out if I can get Saorview now?
    To find out if you are covered, go to www.saorview.ie where you will find an interactive map showing who is covered and who isn’t. All you need to do is type in your address to see if you can get it.

Do I need to switch over to Saorview if I have UPC or Sky TV?
    No. You will continue to get all the Irish channels on UPC and Sky, but if you want to sample RTE Jr, the kids channel or the News Now channel you might like to pick up a box and have it running one of your TVs

Will it work with freesat?
    Yes. But you probably still get your Irish channels through a normal terrestrial aerial. You can now upgrade this to Saorview to get a better quality picture from your aerial.

What will happen terrestrial services at the end of 2012?
    They will be switched off. There is no rush to buy Saorview but if you are thinking of upgrading your TV later this year or next you should consider buying one that includes an integrated digital terrestrial TV decoder. This will be marked ‘Saorview approved’.

Can I get my satellite and digital terrestrial service through one box?
    Yes. These boxes will be more expensive but might be worth the investment because they will allow you programme all your Irish channels first followed by your favourite UK and international channels.

How many homes get TV through an aerial?
    An estimated 600,000 homes get some TV services through an aerial with 335,000 of Irish TV homes receiving TV exclusively through an aerial. One third of these live in Connaught and Ulster, one fifth live in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

It is a bit of a mess already and is more like a disinformation campaign. They need to be told their mistakes in writing otherwise people will be even more confused. Hopefully it will be sorted out very soon. :) I can only laugh at the incompetence, very similar to a group who left power recently. Mismanagement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When does it launch May or June?

All the documentation to date has indicated Saorview will launch in May this year e.g. the Saorview FAQ above.

But this news report on the RTÉ website says June :confused:. Is it an error or has the launch date slipped?

Launch end of May = Available from June.

RTE started in 1961 or 1962?
    31st December 1961

Current service started Oct 2010 or Nov?
    Well sort of 29th Oct, but TV3 and 3e in November.

ASO in October 2012, End 2012 or Nov 2012? I'd guess 31st October 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

RTE's 10 step guide to Saorview added to their site today is a joke , it doesn't mention there are Saorview TV's and states EVERY TV will need a STB
    Do I need a separate box for every TV?

Yes. But you only need one aerial.

More confusion added to the mix by those who should know better!!!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/money/general/free-digital-tv-service-to-launch-in-ireland.html

watty wrote: »
    Launch end of May = Available from June.

But the article doesn't say "available from June", it states "is to launch in June this year".

Typo or fact?

New Saorview website now up and running - http://www.saorview.ie/
    SAORVIEW Launches Public Information Campaign

SAORVIEW is this week launching a public information campaign to introduce Irish consumers to its new free-to-air digital television service. The new digital service, which will provide consumers with more choice and better quality pictures and sound, will be officially launched to the market in the summer and will be available to homes across the country.

From this week the public will be able to access information on the new service from a Lo Call number 1890 222012 and from the website www.saorview.ie. An advertising campaign introducing the new service is also beginning on television, radio and online on St Patrick’s Day.

All viewers who currently receive their television signal through an aerial will need to switch to SAORVIEW by the end of 2012, as this older form of television transmission (known as analogue) will be switched off throughout the EU at that time. Other television viewers are also expected to take up the service which involves the once-off purchase of a set-top box which allows viewers receive the digital SAORVIEW service free into the future.

Mary Curtis, Director of Digital Switch Over, RTÉ, said:

“This is an exciting time for TV viewers. The new digital service offers more choice when it comes to TV channels and radio channels and it also offers higher quality pictures and sound. Most importantly SAORVIEW offers this new service on a free-to-air basis, which means that there is no monthly cost to consumers. To receive SAORVIEW viewers will need to purchase a set-top box, but after that there is no charge.”

The planned channel line up for the new SAORVIEW digital television platform, which was announced last month, is as follows: RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, TV3, TG4, RTÉ News Now, 3e, RTÉjr, RTÉ One + 1 and RTÉ Digital Aertel. The following radio services will also be available on SAORVIEW: RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ 2fm, RTÉ lyric fm, RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, RTÉ Choice, RTÉ Pulse, RTÉ 2XM, RTÉ Gold, RTÉ Chill, RTÉJnr, and Radio 1 Extra.

“This public information campaign will explain how people can easily make the switch to the new SAORVIEW service and enjoy the benefits of free digital television. The SAORVIEW service will be launched at the end of May this year,” she concluded.

ENDS

For further information:

Rory Coveney 01 208 3436

Press Release - SAORVIEW Launches Public Information Campaign - 15. 03. 2011
    http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-launches-public-information-campaign/

Saorview National Launch - end of May 2011. This from the press release above "The SAORVIEW service will be launched at the end of May this year,” she [Mary Curtis] concluded

Information Booklet not available yet
    Information Booklet

The SAORVIEW information booklet is currently being finalised and will be available shortly. It will be available in both English and Irish for download here. The booklet will also be available in printed format in both languages on request from the SAORVIEW information line Lo Call: 1890 222 012

http://www.saorview.ie/help/information-booklet/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Excuse me if I don't agree or comply with this MASSIVE CON JOB,
    I bought a HD Lcd Samsung tv two and a half years ago on the assumption that
    I'd be getting a Hi-definition tv signal, now two and a half years later,
    the customer is expected to cover the cost of this after paying 500 euro on a tv
    -I'm expected to supplement the ineptitude and sluggish response of Samsung the retailer
    that sold it to me and the Irish government for not having a digital system put in place and
    already have developed a built in digital signal reciever?
    It's a disgrace!

Why are people rolling over and accepting this con?

I for one will be cancelling my cable and possibly my tv license if
    I can't recieve a signal and am expected to fork out 100 euro more!

Absolutely Disgraceful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

the customer is expected to cover the cost of this after paying 500 euro on a tv
    -I'm expected to supplement the ineptitude and sluggish response of Samsung the retailer
    that sold it to me and the Irish government for not having a digital system put in place and
    It's a disgrace!

Absolutely Disgraceful!!

The retailers/manufacturers where aware of the Irish DTT specs in 2008. Many retailers sold and continue to sell TV sets only suitable for UK Freeview which is old MPEG2 technology. They reckon most Irish people the vast amount of who get their TV via SKY or UPC won't notice as the digital switch over will not affect them.

However if you have a Samsung I'd advise you to post the model number as there is a very good chance it's fine for Saorview and no set top box is required.

EDIT - Cancelling your cable will achieve nothing , Saorview is a different platform altogether....it's just a replacement for analogue aerial TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

You can shoot me for saying this but the new website is MASSIVELY BIASED IN FAVOR OF RTE - This completely contradicts what i said in a post yesterday but to hell with it - I can clearly see TV3's point - Just look at the channel page:
    RTÉ One is the most popular TV channel in Ireland. It is the home of authoritative Irish and international television news and current affairs. The channel offers a comprehensive range of home-produced Irish factual, drama, arts, entertainment and lifestyle programming and a selection of premium international acquired programming. 14 of the 20 most watched programmes on Irish television during 2010 were broadcast on RTÉ One.
    rte-two

RTÉ Two is the home of Irish sport and children and young people’s daytime television. In the evening it targets younger viewers with innovative drama, entertainment and key acquisitions.RTÉ Two HD will broadcast key programming from the RTÉ Two schedule in High Definition. Sport, drama, wildlife programming and film all greatly benefit from HD pictures and sound. For example, RTÉ Two HD will allow Irish audiences to enjoy our national games in HD for the first time, with GAA Hurling and Football available in HD, free-to-air, for everyone. Hit dramas such as Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and CSI and new movies will also be available in HD on RTÉ Two HD. The proportion of HD content on the channel will increase over time as more HD content becomes available.
    three

TV3
    tg-4

TG4 is Ireland’s Irish language television channel. 800,000 viewers tune into TG4 each day. The daily Irish language programme schedule is its core service: six hours of innovative quality programming in Irish supported by a wide range of material in other languages.The channel provides a daily programme schedule in Irish for children and young people. Both of the Cúla4 zones and the Ponc strand for young adults provide a wide range of entertaining and top-quality content in Irish and represent an attractive and entertaining daily point of contact with the Irish language in a context that is totally different to school.

Music, documentary and sports coverage have earned particular praise for TG4. Its regular soap-opera, Ros na Rún has made its mark as has the channel’s distinctive news service, Nuacht TG4. The channel’s schedule – and its news service in particular – ensures a space for the non-centrist perspective and for emerging talent.
    3E

3e
    rte-news-now

RTÉ News Now is a 24 hour rolling news channel with live news bulletins, live current affairs programmes, catch-up on recent news and current affairs, live coverage of special events, breaking news and continuous sport, business and weather updates throughout the day. A news, sport and entertainment ticker runs along the bottom of the screen and the latest stock indices and Euro exchange rates are delivered within the graphics on the right of the screen.RTÉ News Now is available on SAORVIEW, online and as a mobile service on iPhone and Android.
    rte-jr

The RTÉjr is a dedicated daytime television service for children aged 6 years and younger. RTÉjr shares channel space with RTÉ Plus and will be on from 11am to 7pm and is free of advertising. Home produced programming is the cornerstone of the RTÉjr schedule, with live action programming and Irish animation featuring strongly. RTÉjr has a companion children’s digital radio service of the same name.
    rte-one-1

RTÉ One + 1 will share channel space with RTÉjr and will be on from 7pm to 2am. From May 2011 this channel will be an exact replica of RTÉ One, with an hour delay.
    rte-aertel

RTÉ Aertel Digital is an improved digital version of the RTÉ Aertel teletext service, which is modern, fast and user-friendly. The service offers up-to-date and accessible news, sport, weather and other information, including flight times, public information, local council information, information for deaf and hard of hearing audiences and subtitles. RTÉ Aertel Digital is available on SAORVIEW, online and as a mobile service.

Now while you might not watch them, and some of you are quite militantly anti TV3 and 3e, you must admit the following - SAORVIEW will only last and become an effective service with variety - the more channels it has the wider its appeal - We can look at freeview to see this - if i lived in england i wouldn't necessarily bother getting freesat unless i happened to have a preinstalled dish and fancied making use of it - (which of course i probably would, being an enthusiast)

I know some of you berate them and slag TV3. There are issues with paying for carriage etc - but there is also saorview's channel listing section which is not very strong - water it down any further and it could quickly become a non viable brand - A lot of people in Ireland wont pay good money to watch RTE 1, RTE2, TG4, and a load of repeated news stations - Heck for twenty odd quid a month UPC will happily give them a HD PVR, all of a RTE stations, +TV3 plus the main british stations etc.
    In all honesty that channel section above is taking the proverbial ****. To TV3 its just plain insulting - And again i repeat - IF TV3 and 3e leave SAORVIEW, it will seriously weaken and water down the brand - In this country TV Stations dont grow on trees unfortunately and insulting the only other major broadcaster in the republic is foolish and arrogant..

I am now ready to be stoned to death for treason :eek:

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TV3 have the attitude that they do not have to pay for carriage. They refused to pay the full price for analogue, only being broadcast from a dozen or so sites. They have refused to pay anything for DTT, and have consistently been slow in introducing technical improvements like wide-screen. The apparent lack of descriptions for TV3 and 3E might be their own refusal to be part of Saorview. After all, they refused to allow their channels to go on Saorview at the launch in October, and had their own mini-launch a few days later in November.

They have improved lately by introducing wide-screen, and made a few low-cost home produce head-to-camera programmes. However, they have a very long way to go before their production values even approach those of RTE. They are more like a cable channel, which of course, 3E is already.

They could be better, but they are driven by a low cost attitude to everything, like a pound-shop trying to compete with a department store and crying foul at any realistic criticism. In fact, crying foul at anything, and threatening to sue.

Now RTE are worthy of criticism as well. Their own production values have suffered of late, and that is an area that needs to be improved, but it is mainly independent productions that are most wanting.

However, RTE NL have delivered the DTT infrastructure at a reasonable cost. The original estimates were, IIRC, €100m, and they have brought it in at €70m, if the reports are correct.

Let us give a little leeway as it takes TV3 a few days to respond to requests from RTE, as it did last October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

To be fair €500 is not that much for a HD TV (depending on the size)

Think of it this way. Two and a half years ago only high end premium TVs would have had an MPEG4 decoder. So at the time you might have had to pay €800 for a TV with MPEG4 decoder with the same size and general spec as your €500 one.

So by only having to pay €80-100 for a Soarview set top box now, you're saving €200 euro. :D

• Advertisement

It's a disgrace!

Absolutely Disgraceful!!

The Irish DTT standard wasn't finalised until July 2008 but HD broadcasts weren't planned to happen until 2013 at that time, only SD channels. HD on Irish DTT wasn't announced until last July.

Unfortunately if you had posted here two and a half years ago before you purchased you would have been advised of the correct spec required. The government DTT website (http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/) was also advising of the correct spec at that time.

Retail outlets were the worst place to go for information at that time and even today.

I purchased my first MPEG-4 TV back in May 2008 with the expectation that the standard was going to be MPEG-4 based on the Feb 2008 Dept of Communications spec and CEDA Guidance Note to retailers.

Regarding cancelling your cable it'll achieve nothing as jobyrne30 posted, you'll only be left with the 3/4 analogue terrestrial (aerial) channels, if you have an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Does anyone know if the retailers/installers are getting any training from Saorview on the system? When are they doing this as very short time to launch.

RTE will be running "trade seminiars"

But the main thing is the Retailers to label the STOCK!
    And stop buying in Dumped UK products!

See bottom of page http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/for-retailers/

s_gr wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the retailers/installers are getting any training from Saorview on the system? When are they doing this as very short time to launch.

Analogue and DTT will be running simultaneously until sometime in Oct 2012 so lots of time for training etc.

This from RTÉ's presentation to the Oireachtas Committee last July
    Mr. Conor Hayes:
    Regarding the point on reception, we have the list of 450,000 retailers and installers around the country. We are in constant communication with them. We receive reception queries from Oireachtas Members weekly and from installers and retailers daily. We are designing a set of videos to help people to install correctly, to orient the aerials correctly and to know what cable connections to use. This training must take place and separately, there will be a public information campaign to be delivered.

RTE is designing a serious information campaign and will provide retailers and installers with extensive training.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/MAJ/2010/07/14/00003.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Regardless of TV3's attitude it should be absolutely clear that Saorview needs as many channels as possible - Literally: If it loses TV3, & 3e, it may not be a viable platform -

2 main stations RTE & RTE2, - that's literally all saorview will be without TV3 and its sister station 3e - RTE news, RTE+1 and RTE Junior are simply repeated material - TG4 granted is different but the fact that it is mainly in irish is a hindrance to it making massive impact -

Folks in my opinion that is really not enough stations for a digital platform

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »

I agree but the digital platform is primarily a replacement for the 4 channel analogue terrestrial platform, anything else is extra.

Is there anything legally preventing TV3 switching off its analogue transmission from the 12 sites covering approx 85% of the population early? At DTT launch they will have approx 97% coverage. It will probably be cheaper to transmit 2 channels on DTT against 1 channel on analogue to a greater percentage of the population.

Was this what Comreg were suggesting in this quote from a recent consultation?
    TV broadcasters will likely demand that their programming is available on both analogue and digital terrestrial in the overlap simulcast period. In the timeframe of this review, the demand for transmission over analogue means will fall off as more and more households make the switch to digital. In effect, the viewing and transmission of analogue terrestrial signals will disappear with analogue switch-off in late 2012. Subject to staying within their legal obligations in terms of coverage, it may be possible for some terrestrial broadcasters to withdraw from analogue broadcasting earlier than this.

Digital is viable if it only has RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and TV. Because it's NOT a competitor to UPC, Sky, Freesat or anything else.

It's simply a replacement for Analogue. Not a free version of Cable TV via the Aerial

The UK is a big place. More than 20 times bigger. So it happens to have a lot of channels. We happen to be able to receive them, with 75% of people getting UTV or HTV (ITV) before Sky Digital existed via mix of direct aerials, deflectors and cable.

If TV3 is not on Saorview, that is effectively giving up their licence and becoming a pay TV only channel. They are able to do that. Their problem is same as Eircom. They have been destroyed by a leveraged buyout. They are barely financially viable with the downturn in Advertising due to the bust since 2008.

Irish TV is doomed to live in shadow of UK TV. The "leveraged" buyout concept should be illegal. It's not shareholder investment and building up a business. But asset stripping.

So TV3 is unlikely to commission decent programming. They will continue to try and have more product placement, advertising, cheap lowest common denominator programs, cheap imports, snipe at RTE, premium phone scams/Fake dial-in "quizzes" on premium numbers, avoid paying their transmission dues (scandal of the < 80% coverage all these years).

Why does BAI roll over for them?

It's probably that TV3 is such bad fanancial situation that they can't afford Analogue carriage and DTT carriage.

It is likely that someone will have to decide if TV3 only joins DTT after Nov 2012, or ends Analogue in June.

TV3 will want to maintain the status quo on Analogue and pay nothing for DTT till Nov 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

liamtech wrote: »
    Regardless of TV3's attitude it should be absolutely clear that Saorview needs as many channels as possible - Literally: If it loses TV3, & 3e, it may not be a viable platform -

2 main stations RTE & RTE2, - that's literally all saorview will be without TV3 and its sister station 3e - RTE news, RTE+1 and RTE Junior are simply repeated material - TG4 granted is different but the fact that it is mainly in irish is a hindrance to it making massive impact -

It is not a question of being 'viable'. It's not intended as a commercially competing platform to $ky, FreeView or UPC, it is a replacement for the analogue transmission network. Any extra channels such as 'News Now' are bonuses rather than direct competition to $ky News or CNN or whoever.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    TV3 will want to maintain the status quo on Analogue and pay nothing for DTT till Nov 2012.

ATT TV3 - 85% population coverage - 12 sites / no Saorsat coverage, distribution/carriage cost?
    DTT TV3/3e - 98% population coverage - 51 sites / Saorsat 100% all Ireland coverage, distribution/carriage cheaper?

McRedmond hasn't said TV3 won't be on Saorview but he couldn't say the same for 3e.
    As it is, TV3 has yet to confirm whether its sister channel, 3e, will be broadcast on Saorview. “We have to pay [Saorview] for transmitting 3e, so there’s a question mark over the viability of putting up channels,” McRedmond says.

Advertisement