Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax Multiblock, Modification?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Quick question for those here in the know ;)
    Can a Triax MultiBlock be modded to allow a centrally mounted LNB?
    And if it can, any idea where to find a decent guide?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

keep the original lnb holder and add a diferet lnb holder....
    http://www.satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=128
    picture.php?albumid=249&pictureid=3334
    picture.php?albumid=249&pictureid=4981

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the tip Pelisor.
    Thing is I already have the Triax Multiblock and would rather not buy more stuff ;)
    I want to try and get a spread from 9e to 28.2e and if prime focus for that spread is @16e so I'm thinking if I can mount a central LNB on this type http://www.pulsat.com/products/Triax-Multi-Block-Feedholder-for-4-LNBs.html I should be able to get that too and setup a 5 LNB range at 9',13',16,19.2' and 28.2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Read this thread, particularly post #2, it helped me perfectly, same set up.
    Thanks to Watty

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70860270#post70860270

excollier wrote: »
    Read this thread, particularly post #2, it helped me perfectly, same set up.
    Thanks to Watty

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70860270#post70860270

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated ;-)
    Any pics of your own set up?

Just to clarify, your set up is pulling 16e aswell as Astra's and Hotbird?

I'm attaching a picture of my current setup.
    Ideally I'd be able to ditch the sky mini dish and cover a spread from 9'e through to 28.2e on the TD88 with a 5 LNB set up.
    Anyone else want to impart any more wisdom?
    I'm pardicularly interested in the upside Multiblock tip?
    Is it just turning the bar over?
    Or is it actually mounting the Bracket upside down on the arm?
    And does any have any tips on modding the triax multiblock to allow a centre mounted LNB at prime focus???
    Which if I have my sums right for the spread should be @16'e.
    Any tips appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Much appreciated ;-)
    Any pics of your own set up?

Just to clarify, your set up is pulling 16e aswell as Astra's and Hotbird?
    The ones in this photo
    134102.png
    Are WRONG KIND LNB for 3 degree spacing. The holders will work though.

Those are all Quattro LNBs. Single "skinny" LNBs are easier to get. Though Kathrien does a super skinny Quattro.

The 4 x LNB holders on the bar in the photo can be offset to left or right, depending which way round you fit holder on the LNB neck. They are offset. So you can put an LNB at the prime focus.

If you want 19E, 16E and 13E you need Alps or other LNBs (i.e. blade style Kathrien) with the plastic focus spike, instead of the common cast alloy scalar focus rings.
    This photo has the plastic spike type focus LNBs, so 19E, 16E & 13E would work.
    127682.jpg

I'
    I'm pardicularly interested in the upside Multiblock tip?
    Is it just turning the bar over?
    Or is it actually mounting the Bracket upside down on the arm?

That Triax bar and holder will allow 3 degree spacing and LNB very close or at Prime Focus.

The plastic parts are all mounted normally, as is arm of dish.

The curved alloy bar has hollow facing dish, so that all LNBs are same distance from notional centre that prime focus points at. But it doesn't tilt enough for 13E to 28E in Ireland (it's fine in Germany!). Since the mount hole is offset you flip the bar endwise so hole is at bottom rather than top of bar. Now it can tilt more. Elevation is now very slightly too high at centre, but fine tweak fixes that, and I couldn't see any difference actually as it's only 6mm?

I also drilled a new hole to make the bar East/West offset rather than central as otherwise it would be 19E at centre rather than 16E at centre. No shortage of signal on 28E, so it can be more offset.

The more offset the focus is, the less signal.

This is also why you always need the next size dish up for multifeed.

watty wrote: »
    That Triax bar and holder will allow 3 degree spacing and LNB very close or at Prime Focus.

The plastic parts are all mounted normally, as is arm of dish.

The curved alloy bar has hollow facing dish, so that all LNBs are same distance from notional centre that prime focus points at. But it doesn't tilt enough for 13E to 28E in Ireland (it's fine in Germany!). Since the mount hole is offset you flip the bar endwise so hole is at bottom rather than top of bar. Now it can tilt more. Elevation is now very slightly too high at centre, but fine tweak fixes that, and I couldn't see any difference actually as it's only 6mm?

I also drilled a new hole to make the bar East/West offset rather than central as otherwise it would be 19E at centre rather than 16E at centre. No shortage of signal on 28E, so it can be more offset.

The more offset the focus is, the less signal.

This is also why you always need the next size dish up for multifeed.

Watty!
    Excellent Information! Thanks
    I'd seen a lot of posts regarding the upside mount, but thats the 1st time I've actually known which part was turned ;)

As for the LNB's I'm currently using Inverto Black Twins at 13' and 19' and was planning on adding singles for 9' and 16' which I was hoping would allow the correct spacing???
    Along with a new quad for 28.2 as I assume the thomson LNB from sky wouldn't be the best ;)

The focus rings are for sideways oval dish.
    The offset LNB isn't even as much a circular, Sky LNB even of same exact quality compared to LNB for regular dish would be much poorer.

Watty that was my thinking regarding the Sky LNB, Thanks for confirming it!
    With regards to the LNB holder modifications I found some very interesting pics
    This one especially with regards tothe13',16'and 19' combination that I'd like to try
    3degreerh3.jpg
    And these mods are very interesting too
    P1000071.jpg
    P1000067.jpg

• Advertisement

Must say, I like the second one. So simple and obvious, some people really can find simple fixes for anything!
    I wonder how well it works? No skew on those alps lnbs. And they are a little low, but that could be fixed easily enough.
    Good find.

Well I ordered a 23mm Inverto multiconnect LNB to take the centre spot on my LNB rail :)
    If I manage to get up and running I'll post a pic or 2 ;)
    It will be a little chaotic with the twins at 13' and 19.2, a quad at 28.2 and whatever else I can fit in on the rail!
    But all good if it works! ha

I look forward to hearing how it all works, particularly the Multiconnect lnb, I am thinking of buying a couple of these myself.
    Good luck.

Well I set up 9e,13e, 19.2e(I'd prefer 26e but the spacing is tight to 28:( ) and 28.2e today and so far so good!
    I typoed earlier re:23.5', can't seem to get above 34%SNR on this bird.
    Whats normal for Limerick on this bird with a multi LNB setup?

Thanks to Watty for the advice to offset the multiblock bar east to west!
    Looking at how far I had offset the Quad LNB, it's a vital mod that I would never have tried
    I tried the bar without the mod and I couldn't get a peep from Astra 2 until I drilled and mounted it maybe 7.5cm offset!!!

I'm getting SNR's at @ 75% across 13',19' and 28'2 and on 9'e I'm locking at 44% during the rain today!
    I typoe

I'm looking forward to adding the Inverto Multiconnect for 16' as soon as it gets here :)
    I'll post pics as soon as the job is done ;)

Thanks to all for the input so far

Photos?

Photos?
    I typoed earlier re:23.5', can't seem to get above 34%SNR on this bird.
    Whats normal for Limerick on this bird with a multi LNB setup?

Regarding above on 23.5 I think it may just have been a weak TP I used for the alignment.
    I'm pulling @225 services off this bird and all on channel SNRs seem to be @ 70%-85%

And Watty I'll add a photo or 2 shortly, still havent added 16e yet as I only received the Multiconnect LNB this morning and even with this super slim LNB fitting it in between 13' and 19' is going to take some delicate touchs and maybe even some lube!!!haha!

The pictures give a good idea of just how much the east west offset needs to be to get the spread from 9e all the way out to 28.2 in the Limerick/MidWest area!
    Thanks again for all the tips and when I get the holder for the Inverto Multiconnect I'll add more pics :)

151113.jpg
    151112.jpg
    151111.jpg
    Watty, and anyone else interested ;-) attached are the pics of what I've managed so far!

Note that if the bar is correct slope the LNBs are almost at right angles, just like on a Motorised dish the LNB is straight.

Strictly there should be a slight curve on the bar, a straight bar is a tangent to the curve of the arc that the LNB describes between 42E and 45W.

You are angling the bar to best compromise of the point on curve in last image on link below.

via http://www.techtir.ie/howto/install-motorised-dish by Zaphod

Note that if the bar is correct slope the LNBs are almost at right angles, just like on a Motorised dish the LNB is straight.

Strictly there should be a slight curve on the bar, a straight bar is a tangent to the curve of the arc that the LNB describes between 42E and 45W.

1000026_6adjarcsr.jpg
    You are angling the bar to best compromise of the point on curve above.

via http://www.techtir.ie/howto/install-motorised-dish by Zaphod

Thanks for the link :)
    I haven't finalised setting up skew yet as I still have to add the lnb at 16e.
    Then I can be certain of my spacings from 9e through to 19e and set all to maximum on the box.

Well I have the spread sorted now and I'm pulling in 9e on @45-55%, 13e @85%, 16e@55%(This is on a jury rigged mount and not 100% stable,while waiting on the collar Pelisor recommended),19.2e @ 85-90%, 23.5e@ @75% and 28.2e @75%.

I had to swap the order of my LNBs to get an Inverto Multiconnect LNB at 16e in between 13e and 19.2e.
    But other than losing PVR capability from the Inverto twin I had at 19.2e due to swapping this LNB with a slim ALPS to give me the space to get even the 23mm LNB fitted ;)

I'll add pictures of the final set up as soon I get a chance.
    But I'll say now particularly for Excollier....
    The Multiconnect LNB will do the job of getting prime focus 16e on the Triax multiblock!!!
    If you use a similar LNB holder to the one Pelisor suggests, aside from the flip and east/west offset that Watty recommended there is no other modification needed.
    Apart from ensuring you use an ALPS or similar at 13e or 19.2e to allow the space needed for the multiconnect of course ;)

Thanks. I've already done the flip of the bar, now I need to know where to drill the new hole to offset it, how far is it from the original centre mount hole, please.
    I have also ordered a few ALPS lnbs, how good are they? I got them cheap, also another multiblock, a friend wants a similar dish setting up when I get mine working right.
    I am getting 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e all nicely on a TD88, just by flipping the bar over. Pics uploaded. The lnb on the right is unused.
    Don't know why I am doing this, I just enjoy the challenge, I have no intention of watching anything on these other sats, it's just an interesting hobby I guess.
    By the way I have only gone as far as setting it up on a tripod yet.
    I'll put up the dish when the weather improves.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've already done the flip of the bar, now I need to know where to drill the new hole to offset it, how far is it from the original centre mount hole, please.
    I have also ordered a few ALPS lnbs, how good are they? I got them cheap, also another multiblock, a friend wants a similar dish setting up when I get mine working right.
    I am getting 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e all nicely on a TD88, just by flipping the bar over.
    Don't know why I am doing this, I just enjoy the challenge, I have no intention of watching anything on these other sats, it's just an interesting hobby I guess.

The second of my photo's above gives a good view of how far I drilled the offset, I didn't measure but at a push I'd say 50mm as Watty recommended an LNB width ;)
    The current LNB arrangement is different now though to allow the space I needed at 16e

I'm using the ALPS on 19.2e and I'm happy with it I haven't noticed any issues at all.
    It's spec lists a 0.6db gain but I havent noticed any difference in PQ between that and the 0.2db Inverto twin I used at 19.2e previously.

I'll add photos of the finalised set up tomorrow as until I get the additional LNB holder the LNB for 16e is held on by a spring clamp!!!LOL (I just had to know if it would work!!)

Well folks heres the almost final set up! ;)
    I'm going to lock the Inverto Multiconnect LNB down with a different LNB holder (similar to the 1 Pelisor recommended) as at the moment its set on a self modded LNB holder that isn't locked to the bar.
    But even without being fully locked down I'm still pulling in 16e @58% with Tring at @45%
    151486.jpg
    151487.jpg

Impressive!

Impressive!

Thanks! :D
    But if it wasn't for the advice offered here I wouldn't have even known where to start ;)

Yes, its great that folk are willing to share their knowlege and experience so freely.
    And not only on this forum

Well I received the LNB holder I had ordered(Similar to the 1 in Pelisor's post)
    Unfortunately this type of mount will not allow spacing between 13'e and 19'e....it just wont fit!
    So I proceeded to make the temporary mount I improvised above ^^^^^ can just be seen in the above picture
    Into a permenant one.
    I have modified/jury rigged a holder from part of a Triax LNB holder, that I joined with epoxy putty directly to the 40mm adaptor ring that comes with the Inverto Multiconnect LNB.
    I cut away most of the Triax holder, leaving just a shallow curve to glue the adaptor ring to.
    Then I cut away the bottom of the LNB(Part that mounts to the bar) and pared away enough so that I had just a lip over the bar at front/back.

As my dish is aimed at 16'e I epoxy resined this modified holder directly above the hole I drilled to recentre the bar and I'm glad to report that this modified mount does the job :)

I didn't take any pics as I was doing this job as it was one of those, Head down and fix it moments....
    It completely slipped my mind til I was finished and had it all locked in place.
    I will add pic's of the mount in place tomorrow though!

EDIT

Below is a pic showing the mount at 16'e, you can see the epoxy putty hulding the adaptor ring along with a view of the modded triax holder to give an idea of how muc was cut away.
    151655.jpg

Folks,
    I'm thinking that with 6 LNBs on the arm that I will need some bracing wire or a support to prevent sag.
    Does anyone have any ideas how best to go about this?
    Is it a case of using high tensile line? Or is there a kit to use?
    Thanks in advance :-)

Use nylon builders cord as it's transparent to Wireless.
    Carefully drill holes on dish edge without stressing dish and put piece of tubing or brass eyelet to stop edge of hole cutting cord.

Use nylon builders cord as it's transparent to Wireless.
    Carefully drill holes on dish edge without stressing dish and put piece of tubing or brass eyelet to stop edge of hole cutting cord.

Watt you are a mine of useful information!
    Thank you :)
    As for drilling the dish, mine is predrilled at the 11 and 1 positions :)

• Advertisement

Well today was the first day of bad weather I've had since I added the multitude of LNBs and I thought I'd take the opportunity to give an update on performance in poor weather.

I'm pleasantly suprised with the performance of the setup in the heavy rain today across all sats apart from 16'e of course ;)
    Rain attenuation practically wiped out this bird for me!

But as I only added 16'e to see how far I could push the dish/Multiblock combination its not really an issue for me, and if it gets to the stage where its a must have I can always switch to TD110 :D LOL

But for anyone interested during the heavy rain today my levels on 16'e dropped to 15%SNR, Black Screen;
    9'e dropped to @37%SNR, 13'e, 19'e and 23.5'e all stayed above the 75%SNR mark and 28.2'e was at 80%SNR during the worst of the rain.

All in all I'm very happy with the final result and hope that my fumblings with my set up can be useful to anyone who tries similar!

P.S Thanks to all who offered help/input :D

Advertisement