Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would we be better off under British rule?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭

Now before I get absolutely slaughtered for starting this thread, let me just state that in no way am I a loyalist or anything like that and I am extremely proud of our history as a nation. I'm very proud of the way our forefathers stood up for what they believed in and I'm humbled by their bravery and commitment and the sacrifices many have made for this country. This is just purely a hypothetical question.
    Would we be better off under British rule? Would we be better off economically/socially? What if a united Ireland meant being part of the United Kingdom? What differences would there be in society today? Do you think this country would be a better or worse place to live today?

Again its just a hypothetical question and not my own beliefs/wishes. Just thinkin out loud here! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Dean09 wrote: »
    Now before I get absolutely slaughtered for starting this thread, let me just state that in no way am I a loyalist or anything like that and I am extremely proud of our history as a nation. I'm very proud of the way our forefathers stood up for what they believed in and I'm humbled by their bravery and commitment and the sacrifices many have made for this country. This is just purely a hypothetical question.
    Would we be better off under British rule? Would we be better off economically/socially? What if a united Ireland meant being part of the United Kingdom? What differences would there be in society today? Do you think this country would be a better or worse place to live today?

Again its just a hypothetical question and not my own beliefs/wishes. Just thinkin out loud here! :)

They are just as ****ed as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Here we go......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

How dare you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think so. IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thanks to independence the lovely English roses of London consider me erudite, charming and exotic.

However, were we still part of the Union, to them I would just be a gruff regional spud-muncher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Not this thread again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I would not live under British rule...

...and I would gladly die opposing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Queue for angry mob outraged at the OP's post starts here.>

Right all together.... grumble grumble hurrumph rabble rabble!!!!! and repeat...

You at the back, louder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

deja vu..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,000 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least even their politicians (on the whole) know when to feck off into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What are you on about OP? Sure didn't Irishmen die so we could run this country into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They can hardly afford NI, the whole Island would bust them altogether.

We kind of are already owned by them with the 7-8 billion loan they gave us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

We should at the least rejoin the Commonwealth. More chances for medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yes. I am ashamed to say as an irishman, that we are incapable of self autonomy. This is evidenced by the fact we borrowed 80,000,000,000 from the IMF not too long ago. At least we would have better roads and healthcare under British rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You may not be Dutch (I dont know) but watch this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,000 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AgileMyth wrote: »
    What are you on about OP? Sure didn't Irishmen die so we could run this country into the ground.

We need some serious amendments to the wording on all of those old rebel songs now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

benwavner wrote: »
    I would not live under British rule...

...and I would gladly die opposing it!!

who's asking you to?

wouldnt bother me either way, if someone could fix the country let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember reading somewhere that it was the brits who insisted on Porportional Representation in the dail after independance.

I think their way of voting is far less fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Naikon wrote: »
    Yes. I am ashamed to say as an irishman, that we are incapable of self autonomy. This is evidenced by the fact we borrowed 80,000,000,000 from the IMF not too long ago. At least we would have better roads and healthcare under British rule.

I take it you've never driven up the North?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We need some serious amendments to the wording on all of those old rebel songs now.:(
    More say he rose again, more say he rose again and joined the Fianna Fail party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Oh dear god.

No OP, just No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bertie has the answer

That sounds like something Fine Gael would say, are you a blueshirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

krudler wrote: »
    who's asking you to?

wouldnt bother me either way, if someone could fix the country let them off.

Look, no one is asking me to (obviously), but I would. No one asked Collins either.

Who would want to take over the mess that this country is in, thats the question!

We were under British rule for long enough, it would be a ridiculous step back. Who says they would do a better job of running the place.They would let this place "go to the dogs" as we would be a financial burden that they could not sustain.

There would be no benefit to have us as part of the UK anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

We are under AJ'S rule now

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Jesus Christ the country isn't that bad off that we feel the need to start considering such nonsense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

No!,Your not a Loyalist!,& No your not going to get slaughtered for starting this thread.

It's fact without the U.K Our economy would be zilch,We need the U.K/Britain we do most of our business with them & they keep money in our pockets,Our agriculture industry is controlled by Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think we were better off alright, if we had of just got rid of the mad stuff like not allowing Irish to own land and if we were allowed to be elected ect, I think it would be a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bertie has the answer

No!,Your not a Loyalist!,& No your not going to get slaughtered for starting this thread.

It's fact without the U.K Our economy would be zilch,We need the U.K/Britain we do most of our business with them & they keep money in our pockets,Our agriculture industry is controlled by Britain.

Are you a Fine Gaeler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

this thread never dies does it:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement