Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Hi Jassha,

I know this wasn't the info you were offering - but can you recommend any top quality Chinese Takeaways.

There are a number of high-quality Indian takeaways like The Bombay Pantry with really top-notch food, and yet I can't seem to find an equivalent for Chinese.

Is there a takeaway equivalent of the authentic Chinese restaurants on Parnell/Moore St?

I'm sick of Chicken balls and gloopy sweet and sour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Minder wrote: »
    Many thanks for the recipe Jassha. I've been trying to reproduce an authentic Chinese Restaurant style Singapore noodles for ages. I can't seem to get the curry flavour right. I've tried adding curry powder at different stages, but it always seems gritty in the final dish. I've blended the spice mix in a coffee grinder, but no joy. I'm now using a curry oil, that avoids the gritty quality but the curry flavour isn't as strong. Any particular brand of curry powder I should look out for?

i use an indian medium madras. The name escapes me at the moment but i think its taj mahal. try mixing the curry powder with a little water before adding or use a combination of the powder and curry oil. No hard and fast rules. Dont be afraid to try different combinations. A bit of chilli oil is nice in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jassha wrote: »
    indian medium madras. The name escapes me at the moment but i think its taj mahal.
    I am always trying to take a peek at any labels in takeaways! They sometimes take delivery food out in branded boxes. In one place (eternal in cornelscourt) had a big tub of "Rajah Madras" brand hot curry powder/sauce.

duckworth wrote: »
    Hi Jassha,

I know this wasn't the info you were offering - but can you recommend any top quality Chinese Takeaways.

There are a number of high-quality Indian takeaways like The Bombay Pantry with really top-notch food, and yet I can't seem to find an equivalent for Chinese.

Is there a takeaway equivalent of the authentic Chinese restaurants on Parnell/Moore St?

I'm sick of Chicken balls and gloopy sweet and sour!!

Dont really want to get into that side of things. Live and work in the west so would not be familiar with the Dublin scene. Everybody has their favourite restaurant or take away so naming names would only open a can of worms i dont want to go near.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am always trying to take a peek at any labels in takeaways! They sometimes take delivery food out in branded boxes. In one place (eternal in cornelscourt) had a big tub of "Rajah Madras" brand hot curry powder/sauce.

thats the curry powder i was was trying to think of not taj mahal. thanks for jogging my memory;)

• Advertisement

I would like to hear more brand recommendations too. You mentioned Jimmy's satay sauce. The array of soy sauce is huge in Asian supermarkets.

Are you in dublin? if so what shop would you recommend. East End brand is common in most shops and I have seen the Indian takeaway bombay pantry use their stuff.

I have used Wing Yip hoi sin, and goldfish brand curry sauce both which I find good.

No not in dublin. Oppisite side of country. Asia market is probably the best one around on drury st. They would probably supply alot of the smaller ones. Not sure about indian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

whats the difference in singapore satay and normal satay?

whats the difference in singapore satay and normal satay?

No idea. but every body i have ever met has their own version depending on where they come from. my understsnding is that satay is the name of the skewer of marinated meat and then different cities and regions have their own sauces and to go with it aand not all have peanuts.:(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I can't exactly remember this but we went out for dinner last year to a chinese and I got this green [as far as i remember?] curry with chicken through it! It was served with noodles and I've been trying to find the green curry ever since but can't get it anywhere! Any recipe I find online is just full of thick chunks of vegetables (not a big fan! :P). So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Thanks! :D

Might it have been a thai green curry? If a chinese curry use the recipe i posted

hey jassha

im just wondering if you have the recipe for crispy spring rolls and maybe kung po chicken

Use the recipe for duck spring rolls but replace the duck with ham, pork, prawns or whatever u fancy. U are only limited by ure imagination as to what u put in them

• Advertisement

Super thread!

Do you have a recipe for Kung Pao?

Mix together

8 spoons light soy
    4 spoons vinegar
    4 spoons sugar
    2 spoons wine

Heat gently until sugar dissolved
    Leave to cool
    This is the base and will keep for weeks

To cook the dish u will need
    Minced garlic and minced ginger
    Chilli flakes and ground szechwan peppercorns(also called fairchew)
    Meat of choice (pre fried)
    Veg of choice
    Dark soy
    Sesame oil.

Hot wok
    oil
    Add minced garlic and ginger
    Add chilli flakes and peppercorns
    Add veg of choice
    Add 1 quarter of base sauce and 3 quarters stock or water
    Add meat of choice
    Boil then thicken with potato flour mixed with water
    Add little dark soy for colour and a few drops of sesamw oil
    Enjoy

ambman wrote: »
    Hey Jassha

Could you please tell me the best way to make special fried rice. I have just made up your curry paste and will make the sauce tomorrow so it would be great to have a big plate of special fried rice to go with it.

Thanks in advance.

Difficult without a wok station but heres a sort of cheats version for at home.

Put on some rice to cook(long grain)

get all ure other ingredients together ie. diced chicken, beef, prawns and diced veg of choice.

When rice is cooked put it into a large bowl and keep hot

Hot wok
    oil
    Beaten egg and fry til cooked
    add veg and meat and stir fry til cooked
    Add to rice and mix well
    season with salt, pepper a little dark soy and a few drops of sesame oil
    Enjoy

Be adventurous . Put whatever u fancy in the rice. a few chillies are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I tried the salt and chilli recipe but tried to adapt it for chips and failed miserably.
    I had no white wine so used rice wine so don't know if that was the issue.

Any suggestions for salkt and chili chips?
    Thanks
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Great thread. My question is more of a technical one, just wondering can you recommend a good quality but reasonably priced wok? Also, I only have access to a hob, not a gas flame, is it absolutely essential for the best Chinese cooking?

Again, great thread. Maybe a recipe for your favourite prawn dish?!

sham69 wrote: »
    I tried the salt and chilli recipe but tried to adapt it for chips and failed miserably.
    I had no white wine so used rice wine so don't know if that was the issue.

Any suggestions for salkt and chili chips?
    Thanks
    Sham.

best option is to cut ure chips nice and thick.
    Wash well in cold running water to remove alot of the starch
    Steam or boil them til almost cooked
    Allow to cool then proceed as with the cooled chicken wings
    Be gentle or they will break up

Type of wine should not make too big a difference

Dont think it would work with frozen chips

Let me know how it works out

I would like to hear more brand recommendations too. You mentioned Jimmy's satay sauce. The array of soy sauce is huge in Asian supermarkets.

Would not be an expert on the subject but here is what i know.

Dark soy in chinese cooking is used as a condiment like we would use salt. Its also used to give a richer darker colour to dishes like black bean sauce which can be a bit grey looking without it. It is usually only used at the end of cooking .

Light soya sauce would be used more in the making of sauces like kung po and szechwan. chinese soy tends to be very salty as do cheaper brands. Japanese soy on the other hand is sweet and rich and according to most far superior to others.
    It really comes down to what u are using it for. If making dips etc i would use a japanese or malaisian soy such as kikkomans or Kecap abc.

Most restaurants would make alterations to the bulk bought soya sauce they buy by adding sugar, sake, or heating it and flavouring it with ginger or star anise

Hope this helps a bit

dh0661 wrote: »
    jassha - do some of the smaller places buy in frozen/pre cooked and reheat ?.

Thanks alot for your effort and input to this thread, I'm really enjoying it.

I could tell u some horror stories about meats etc that i have seen and heard of some takeaways buying but dont want to go there.. The simplest way to me of looking at things is that u get out of a dish is what u put in. The same can be said of any type of cuisine. Places that use better quality ingredients tend to do better than others.Enough said

Great thread. My question is more of a technical one, just wondering can you recommend a good quality but reasonably priced wok? Also, I only have access to a hob, not a gas flame, is it absolutely essential for the best Chinese cooking?

Very difficult on an electric hob because of lack of control of the heat. In a restaurant setting woks tend to be very thin and light so u get very high heat very fast. They also tend to be round bottomed. For an electric cooker u really have to have a flat bottomed wok. All i can suggest is not to spend too much on one and try them out to see what suits best for ure cooker.

Sorry i could not be of more help on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

jassha wrote: »
    Very difficult on an electric hob because of lack of control of the heat. In a restaurant setting woks tend to be very thin and light so u get very high heat very fast. They also tend to be round bottomed. For an electric cooker u really have to have a flat bottomed wok. All i can suggest is not to spend too much on one and try them out to see what suits best for ure cooker.

Sorry i could not be of more help on this one.

Not at all, I asked a question and you answered it. In my opinion that's very helpful. :)

Do you have a favourite recipe for prawns?

Not at all, I asked a question and you answered it. In my opinion that's very helpful. :)

Do you have a favourite recipe for prawns?

It would have to be salt and pepper prawns . same as the chicken but deep fry the prawns from raw. I like plenty of chillies in it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Can I have the recipe for Prawn or Chicken Toast please? Preferably without deep frying.
    Great thread OP, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Hi, this is a great thread. Would you have a good recipe for Black pepper stir-fry sauce please, thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunnes do a flat bottom wok for about 6 euros in their homeware section. Its very light and thin, does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

jassha

Any good recipes for lotus root?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Cooked this tonight but don't think I did it justice. This is the recipe I have so far.
    Step 1. put black beans, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, and a good dash of veg oil into a food processor and whizz for 20 or 30 seconds. This will keep in a sealed container in your fridge for 4 to 6 weeks. just make sure that there is a layer of oil on top of the mix.

Step 3. Assemble whatever veg u want to use.

Step 4. very hot wok or deep pan. add some veg oil. add half teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of black bean mix. add veg. add good splash of wine. keep everything moving until wine evaporates. add some water

Step 5. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste

Step 6. slice ure beef into ure desired size and mix with a little salt , pepper ,potato flour, sesame oil, water and a little dark soy. leave for about an hour. drain and fry before adding to ure sauce. For chicken omit the soy.

Step 7. Thicken with some potato flour mixed with water (or cornflour and water)

Step 8. Add 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil

I mashed 3 tablespoons of black beans (salted beans soaked in water for 45 mins) and 3 cloves of garlic with veg oil in a bowl.

Added chopped mushrooms, carrots, onions and beansprouts. I did add a little too much wine (Merlot) so took a while to evaporate off.

For beef I used about 3 dashes of dark soy, two teaspoons of cornflour mixed in water with a pinch of salt and pepper and 5 dashes of sesame oil and left for an hour.
    Fried it seperately, drained and added to cooked veg.

Result was a little oily. I know my attempt is very close from the taste. I think I've just messed up some measurements or something.

Sorry for such a long message just really wanna get this one right as I love the dish.
    Cooked the ribs aswell and were savage.

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Cooked this tonight but don't think I did it justice. This is the recipe I have so far.

I mashed 3 tablespoons of black beans (salted beans soaked in water for 45 mins) and 3 cloves of garlic with veg oil in a bowl.

Added chopped mushrooms, carrots, onions and beansprouts. I did add a little too much wine (Merlot) so took a while to evaporate off.

For beef I used about 3 dashes of dark soy, two teaspoons of cornflour mixed in water with a pinch of salt and pepper and 5 dashes of sesame oil and left for an hour.
    Fried it seperately, drained and added to cooked veg.

Result was a little oily. I know my attempt is very close from the taste. I think I've just messed up some measurements or something.

Sorry for such a long message just really wanna get this one right as I love the dish.
    Cooked the ribs aswell and were savage.

Might sound obvious but just reduce the oil content at all stages. A minimal amount is needed to mince the garlic and black beans..

d'Oracle wrote: »
    jassha

Any good recipes for lotus root?

Thanks

Afraid not. Sorry

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Can I have the recipe for Prawn or Chicken Toast please? Preferably without deep frying.
    Great thread OP, Thanks.

In a food processor whizz the following
    - 12/14 raw black tiger prawns
    - 1 egg white
    - pinch of salt
    - white pepper
    - 4/5 drops sesame oil

Spread onto slices of white bread and dip prawn side onto a plate of sesame seeds.
    Pan fry on both sides for about 2 mins and finish in the oven @ 170 degrees for about 8/10 mins

For a chicken version omit the egg white and add a little finely diced onion

Play around with above recipe. Adding other ingredients such as chillies ,spring onions or ginger gives a nice lift to the toasts. Enjoy

daisy100 wrote: »
    Hi, this is a great thread. Would you have a good recipe for Black pepper stir-fry sauce please, thank you.

You will need
    -diced ribeye beef(pre-fried like in other recipes)
    -sliced veg of choice
    -minced garlic
    -cracked black pepper
    -oyster sauce
    -dark soy sauce
    -sesame oil

Hot wok then add
    -little oil
    -1 teaspoon garlic
    -1 teaspoon oyster sauce
    -1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    -veg of choice
    -splash of wine
    -beef
    -water or stock
    -season with salt,sugar and white pepper
    -thicken with a little potato flour mixed with water
    -add some dark soy for colour and a few drops of sesame oil

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Hi Jassha,

I'm looking for the technique for salt and chili ribs - presumably the spice mix is the same as for the chicken wings, but I'd like to know how to cook the ribs to get the right texture and when the spice mix should be added, etc.

Also looking for a recipe for beef in oyster sauce if you have one please.

Cheers

Advertisement