Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

shinikins wrote: »
    Would you have a recipe for Sui Han chicken? Its one of my favourites but i don't seem to be able to get in in the local chinese restaurant lately :(

Sorry shinikins but thata a new one to me. not familar with it i am afraid.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

jassha wrote: »
    Sorry shinikins but thata a new one to me. not familar with it i am afraid.:(

Oh thats a shame, but thank you anyway! Its lovely BTW, a spicy sauce with chilies and pepper(i think) very thick and hot hot hot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Have you got a recipe for chicken & sweetcorn soup please love this from a Chinese tia

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Shenshen wrote: »
    I remember some years back I had "General Tso's chicken" in a Chinese place in Limerick.

I loved it, but I'm now vegetarian, so I was wondering if you could post the recipe for the sauce, and maybe some tips or tricks to do it with tofu or just vegetables? Thanks a million in advance!

i would love this recipe as well, have seen a few on the internet, but have always been put off trying them as they just dont seem to be what it would taste like at all. Certainly not concerning the consistency of the sauce.
    The only time i have had it was in a place in Dingle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Cant wait to try out some of the recipes in this thread, looks great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Black Bean Sauce. There are lots of black bean sauces out there but to start from scratch u need to get actual black beans from an asian shop. they are semi dry and resemble small raisins but black in colour. the jars and tins of black bean sauce to me taste very processed.

Step 1. put black beans, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, and a good dash of veg oil into a food processor and whizz for 20 or 30 seconds. This will keep in a sealed container in your fridge for 4 to 6 weeks. just make sure that there is a layer of oil on top of the mix.

Step 2. Cut up ure tofu and deep fry for 3 or 4 mins. Leave to one side. you can use unfried tofu but it tends to break up and looks unsightly.

Step 3. Assemble whatever veg u want to use.

Step 4. very hot wok or deep pan. add some veg oil. add half teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of black bean mix. add veg. add good splash of wine. keep everything moving until wine evaporates. add some water

Step 5. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste

Step 6. Add the tofu and a dash of dark soya sauce.

Step 7. Thicken with some potato flour mixed with water (or cornflour and water)

Step 8. Add 5 or 6 drops of sesame oil

ENJOY

I would like to make beef instead of tofu. Does it need marinating or a meat mallet to infuse the flavours with the beef and make it nice and tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Hi,
    Would love a recipe for nice spicy szechuan sauce.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

lemeister wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks!

Read through the thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Read through the thread:rolleyes:

I must have read this thread 3 times by now and still missed that one! Sorry:o

Give me a recipe for a good satay please.

Sorry for delay. Inter net problems for the past few days.

for satay sauce to use as a main course for chicken beef prawns etc

1. Mix together shop bought satay sauce(i use jimmys satay sauce) with an equal amount of crunchy peanut butter (it helps to heat the peanut butter in microwave for ease of mixing) . This is your base.

Fry half a teaspoon of minced garlic and half teaspoon minced ginger in a hot wok for 5 seconds.
    Add your veg of choice
    Add heaped teaspoon of base mix and a couple of ladels of stock or water
    Add ure meat or fish or prawns. (pre cook ure chicken or beef. use prawns or fish raw.
    Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste
    Thicken with potato flour mixed with a little water
    Enjoy

Add chillies with veg if u like it spicier

For a simple satay dip for skewers or crudities

Mix together 4 spoons of peanut butter 4 spoons of shop bought satay( for this one i use yeos satay sauce) and one spoon of a thai red curry paste.
    Season with a little salt and sugar
    Enjoy

• Advertisement

Defo making the salt chilli chicken and king prawn soon! :D

How do ya make bbq pork the way the chinese do?! its so yummy!
    You should write a book filled with these recipes, every house in the country would have a copy!

BBQ CHAR SUI PORK

marinate ure pork in the following over night if possible but for at least 4 hours

250 ml light soya sauce
    an equal volume of sugar
    125 ml white wine
    3 oz minced ginger
    2 teaspoons of the spicy salt mix used in the recipe for salt and chilli wings

Mix all above untill sugar has dissolved
    Pour over the pork
    Cover and refridgerate

If u are using a very big piece of pork double the marinade ingrediants

To cook place pork on a rack in an oven at 160 degrees
    Cook slowly until done(depends on size)
    Drizzle with honey for final 10 minutes

Allow to rest for 10 mins and enjoy

Minder wrote: »
    How about a recipe for singapore noodles, please?

This is a difficult to do at home. U really need the power of a wok station for best results. but give it a go and let me know how it turns out
    U will need

Packet of rice noodle cooked as per packet instructions
    Sliced onions, peppers, spring onions ,chillies and some beansprouts
    A little beaten egg
    Sliced cooked ham, pork and a few raw prawns
    Madras medium curry powder
    salt , pepper, pinch of sugar
    sesame oil

Stirr fry the meat, prawns, onions and peppers for 2 mins and set to one side
    In a very hot wok add the beaten egg, beansprouts, and spring onions to the wok and stir fry quickly til agg cooked
    Add the rice noodles and keep everything moving til well combined
    Add the veg etc u previously fried
    Sprinkle with a generous amount of curry powder(keep everything moving at all times)
    season with salt, pepper and the pinch of sugar
    When everything is well combined add a small splash of water
    Add 3 or 4 drops of sesame oil
    Enjoy

Most important thing is to keep everything moving at all times so have all ure ingredients ready and close at hand

Shenshen wrote: »
    I remember some years back I had "General Tso's chicken" in a Chinese place in Limerick.

I loved it, but I'm now vegetarian, so I was wondering if you could post the recipe for the sauce, and maybe some tips or tricks to do it with tofu or just vegetables? Thanks a million in advance!

General Tso's Sauce First - can be used for meat, prawns, veg etc

Oil
    3 small chillies
    2 heads of garlic
    half litre chinese red vinegar
    50 ml dark soy sauce
    100 ml light soy sauce
    150 ml water
    800 g sugar
    teaspoon salt

Fry the garlic and chillies in the oil for 5 mins gently
    Add all the liquid ingredients
    Bring to boil and add sugar and salt and simmer for 10 mins
    Strain and leave to cool

Like most other recipies this will last for weeks in a sealed container

To cook dish

Fry some minced ginger and chillies in a little oil for 30 sec
    Add veg of choice
    Add water or stock
    Add meat of choice(again pre cooked like other recipes)
    Season with salt, pepper and sugar
    Thicken with potato flour mixed with water
    Enjoy

fontanalis wrote: »
    What about Ginger & Spring Onion, I know the name is a give away but there's usually a liquid mixed through it. How do you make that?

Simple one this

You need minced garlic, minced ginger, thinly sliced ginger, spring onions and whatever other veg u choose. meat or prawns of choice. spoon of oyster sauce

Stir fry the garlic both gingers and the oyster sauce for 10 seconds,
    add veg of choice
    add splash of white wine
    add stock or water
    add meat(pre fried)
    season with salt, pepper and sugar
    thicken with potato flour mixed with water
    add a little dark soy for colour
    add a few drops of sesame oil
    Enjoy

astra2000 wrote: »
    Hi jassha
    these recipes are great thanks for taking the time to help us all out! Do you have a recipe for shredded chilli chicken? It would be much appreciated thanks:)

there is another shredded chilli chicken which is in a spicy sauce as opposed to dry. let me know if this is what u had in mind

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jassha,

you are now my favourite person on boards :D

I will be moving out to the countryside in a year or so and no takeaway will be near me, so was getting worried about my friday night takeaway.

Thankyou so much!!

quick question, can Shredded duck rolls be made up and frozen to before the final frying? and Salt Chilli chicken wings/King prawns, can they be frozen too? i generally cook most meals in bulk and freeze so was wondering if that would work with these.

Neyite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Neyite wrote: »
    I will be moving out to the countryside in a year or so and no takeaway will be near me, so was getting worried about my friday night takeaway.

Neyite

Is it possible to be more than 10 miles from a Chinese take away?
    It seems every village in Ireland has one!

quick question, can Shredded duck rolls be made up and frozen to before the final frying? and Salt Chilli chicken wings/King prawns, can they be frozen too? i generally cook most meals in bulk and freeze so was wondering if that would work with these.

Neyite[/QUOTE]

No. I would not freeze duck roll. beansprouts dont like freezers. too much water in them.
    Anyway most recipies take no more than 10 to 15 mins from start to finish.

FRESH IS BEST

You are correct. Dont think its possible

lemeister wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks!

see post no 40. sauce can be used for meat fish veg etc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

Hey Jassha

Could you please tell me the best way to make special fried rice. I have just made up your curry paste and will make the sauce tomorrow so it would be great to have a big plate of special fried rice to go with it.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

General Tso's Sauce First - can be used for meat, prawns, veg etc

Oil
    3 small chillies
    2 heads of garlic
    half litre chinese red vinegar
    50 ml dark soy sauce
    100 ml light soy sauce
    150 ml water
    800 g sugar
    teaspoon salt

Fry the garlic and chillies in the oil for 5 mins gently
    Add all the liquid ingredients
    Bring to boil and add sugar and salt and simmer for 10 mins
    Strain and leave to cool

Like most other recipies this will last for weeks in a sealed container

To cook dish

Fry some minced ginger and chillies in a little oil for 30 sec
    Add veg of choice
    Add water or stock
    Add meat of choice(again pre cooked like other recipes)
    Season with salt, pepper and sugar
    Thicken with potato flour mixed with water
    Enjoy

Thanks a million, I'll definitely give this a go on the weekend! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

yeah, the nearest is 10 miles, and they dont deliver. which means someone* has to stay off the booze to drive in to pick it up. if i can cook it at home it means less hassle and a drink after work too.

*someone being me, usually.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Super thread!

Do you have a recipe for Kung Pao?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Any tips on marinating or tenderising beef for flavour for Beef & Black Bean. A lot of my chinese dishes end up tasting more like beef dipped in the sauce rather than the whole dish tasting lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

You are correct. Dont think its possible

jassha - do some of the smaller places buy in frozen/pre cooked and reheat ?.

Thanks alot for your effort and input to this thread, I'm really enjoying it.

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Any tips on marinating or tenderising beef for flavour for Beef & Black Bean. A lot of my chinese dishes end up tasting more like beef dipped in the sauce rather than the whole dish tasting lovely.

slice ure beef into ure desired size and mix with a little salt , pepper ,potato flour, sesame oil, water and a little dark soy. leave for about an hour. drain and fry before adding to ure sauce. For chicken omit the soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

This is a difficult to do at home. U really need the power of a wok station for best results. but give it a go and let me know how it turns out
    U will need

Packet of rice noodle cooked as per packet instructions
    Sliced onions, peppers, spring onions ,chillies and some beansprouts
    A little beaten egg
    Sliced cooked ham, pork and a few raw prawns
    Madras medium curry powder
    salt , pepper, pinch of sugar
    sesame oil

Stirr fry the meat, prawns, onions and peppers for 2 mins and set to one side
    In a very hot wok add the beaten egg, beansprouts, and spring onions to the wok and stir fry quickly til agg cooked
    Add the rice noodles and keep everything moving til well combined
    Add the veg etc u previously fried
    Sprinkle with a generous amount of curry powder(keep everything moving at all times)
    season with salt, pepper and the pinch of sugar
    When everything is well combined add a small splash of water
    Add 3 or 4 drops of sesame oil
    Enjoy

Most important thing is to keep everything moving at all times so have all ure ingredients ready and close at hand

Many thanks for the recipe Jassha. I've been trying to reproduce an authentic Chinese Restaurant style Singapore noodles for ages. I can't seem to get the curry flavour right. I've tried adding curry powder at different stages, but it always seems gritty in the final dish. I've blended the spice mix in a coffee grinder, but no joy. I'm now using a curry oil, that avoids the gritty quality but the curry flavour isn't as strong. Any particular brand of curry powder I should look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi Jassha, thanks for all the fab recipes. I tried out the salt & chilli chicken; l added to much seasoning so it was more salt than chilli but I will know better next time I do it. Going to try the ribs next. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Minder wrote: »
    Any particular brand of curry powder I should look out for?
    I would like to hear more brand recommendations too. You mentioned Jimmy's satay sauce. The array of soy sauce is huge in Asian supermarkets.

Are you in dublin? if so what shop would you recommend. East End brand is common in most shops and I have seen the Indian takeaway bombay pantry use their stuff.

I have used Wing Yip hoi sin, and goldfish brand curry sauce both which I find good.

Advertisement