Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭galwayguy85

Yes, I suppose you can technically. However for the overwhelming majority of Irish based customers with accounts with amazon.co.uk that try to avail of the cheaper ebooks there, they will be met with this screen. I hope that this clears up any confusions and explains the raison d'etre of what I'm talking about.Screen%20shot%202010-09-27%20at%2022.35.16.png

Perhaps there is a way of only ever having one amazon account and being able to freely buy UK priced ebooks by changing your address back and forth between your real irish invoice/delivery address (for printed books, DVDs and so on) and a real/made-up UK invoice address. I haven't tested it and in any case it sounds like a lot of bother.

Having two amazon accounts, one for the delivery of real, physical objects and another for the online delivery of cheaply priced ebook sounds like a better solution. Neither ever have to acknowledge the existence of the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm considering one of these gadgets. I have a raft of ebooks sitting around, can I transfer them onto a Kindle easily? Is it USB based? Or can I only read bukes I buy on Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

bedlam wrote: »
    You can add your own, over USB, as long as they are in the correct format. If needs be you can use Calibre to convert your files to a supported format.

Or you can email a book or newspaper directcly to the kindle using Calibre and that is free using wifi. Amazon charge a small data fee if you do it by 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hey,
    i downloaded Kindle for pc app, and wanted to buy a couple of books on calculus for college, but it wont let me, sends me to US store, which looks for an american address,

am i goosed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Perhaps there is a way of only ever having one amazon account and being able to freely buy UK priced ebooks by changing your address back and forth between your real irish invoice/delivery address (for printed books, DVDs and so on) and a real/made-up UK invoice address. I haven't tested it and in any case it sounds like a lot of bother.

Having two amazon accounts, one for the delivery of real, physical objects and another for the online delivery of cheaply priced ebook sounds like a better solution. Neither ever have to acknowledge the existence of the other.
    Jesus, all that is unnecessary and very confusing for people.

Your amazon account is shared between amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. You can login to both with the same login details. So buy a kindle from amazon.com with your amazon account and have it delivered to Ireland. Then login to amazon.com and change the country associated with the kindle to a uk address.

Now just login to amazon.co.uk with the same account and you can buy ebooks from the uk kindle store. You can switch country back and forth if you want to buy ebooks from the US store.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130417&stc=1&d=1286641871

Change country option in the screenshot and free classic books are kinda awesome.

@CodMonkey, how clever you are. Absolutely, both methods are equally as valid though.

Should also point out that if you have just the one amazon account and goto change countries for the purpose of getting cheaper prices, it will as far as i know, break your newspaper and magazine subscriptions.

If that's true then cancel the monthly subscription at the end of the end and resubscribe on the other site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 outpt

Hello everyone.
    As i was making a personal enquiry about all legal issues associated with Kindle (inteding to buy one, wi-fi only as i have plenty of books on PC)

Heres what ive got from amazon as of today, 27/10/2010:

1. Is a US/UK address required to buy Kindle books ? (assuming im outside, in Ireland atm)

I'm happy to inform you that you do not require a US/UK address specifically to buy a Kindle book. All you need is a proper Wi-Fi connection and a registered Kindle account and you're good to go.

2. Can i use Wi-Fi in Ireland to get onto US version of kindle store to buy books ? Is this connection free of charge or is it free only in US/UK ?

We'll display your home country or region at the top of the Kindle Store on Amazon.com so you know you are browsing content and prices specific to your country or region. When shopping on your Kindle, it automatically picks up the home country or region from your account information and displays only content eligible for purchase and delivery in your home country.

If you simply wish to browse titles in the Kindle Store on Amazon.com to see the selection available by country or region, log out of your Amazon.com account by clicking the "(Not Your Name)" link at the top of the page.

You can update your home country or region on the Manage Your Kindle Page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle). Scroll down to the "Your country" section and select the "Edit" option.

Also, there is no fee for receiving books or single issues of periodicals wirelessly. Browsing the Kindle Store and using Kindle's web browser are also free.

Athough, fees do apply if you receive regularly scheduled issues of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscriptions wirelessly if you're a U.S. customer traveling outside the United States.
    (SO OK FOR BOOKS it seems)3. Can the Wi-Fi signal be used to buy books directly from US Kindle store in continental Europe ?

As mentioned above, yes, it is possible and totally free of charge.

Isnt that good now ?
    Im ordering mine shortly.

Hope the above helps to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hey, am also thinking of buing a 3rd gen kindle - but cant decide on wifi only or 3G.
    Can anyone answer this:
    If I buy a UK kindle with 3g internet - can I continue to use the internet for free here in Ireland (I reckon I will keep a separate UK 'kindle' account for this).

From the above it looks like downloading of books etc are free in any country, but subs for papers and magazines will incur an extra charge, however -

If the internet is free over 3g in any country, then the mobile versions of some newpapers will be available, cutting the need for subs.. Has anyone tried this? How is the browser? or is this too slow to be of any use on the train/luas etc?

as stated in my post and received from amazon

Also, there is no fee for receiving books or single issues of periodicals wirelessly. Browsing the Kindle Store and using Kindle's web browser are also free

HOWEVER

(unless u buy kindle from co.uk shipped to UK adress and then someone will send it to you from UK) you will be forwarded to .com which means that outside UK people can only buy the US-International version of Kindle.

The only limitations to it are the ones given by publishers.
    Once youll want to browse the Kindle store it will automatically pick up the signal origin (no matter 3G or wi-fi) and it will point you the titles available for you. Say you browse from here, kindle store will show up all the titles available to you from either UK or US (meaning uk store has different ebook choices depending on countries theyre being sold to). Here (again) comes the publishers limitation as some may simply not want to sell some books (say) outside US, or UK, in which case, for some books you would need to have UK or US address. As long as amazon wont break another deal with publishers, this wont change.
    In short, youre buying Kindle, it picks up your location and you buy books. I think its kind of hard to say which you can or cant buy at this stage, but im sure there are many other ebook stores throughout europe allowing you to buy stuff independently from amazon - after all you can use calibre to transfer ebook formats in between so kindle can open them, so buying books for kindle should not be that much of an issue. theres probably twice as much to download from various torrent websites anyway.

As for the newspapers, i think some publishers require monthly/yearly subscription, thus amazon will charge you for them (if they have signed a deal), if there are free ones there should be no reason to pay for them no matter what device u use to browse web.

As for the browser, keep in mind eInk limitations - its only grayscale, and its not good for websites full of flash/java objects. it wont (i think) display any animation and it will probably strip down website to quite primitive look. as much as LCD is bad for constant readin eInk is really build for ebooks, not real internet browsing. That being said, u can browse websites and assuming youll read plain text - you can do it, it just would not be as nice as, say, palmtop or ipad.

see here as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375890
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200387080

They say the browse is an experimental function - as much as it may be usefull to read plain text website i dont think it'll progress in this direction in future versions. eInk is for reading. websites are more and more for watching...

for final confirmation (if you want) - ask amazon - they respond within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Thanks Outpt - I thanks fo rthat I was trying to establish if the kindle is tied to the country based on settings/store it was bought from or the IP address geolocation of the place that you connect from.

I fancied having a kindle and having newspaper subs auto delivered. As I am originally from the UK, there are a number of papers I would like, which are not available outside of the UK - if the webbrowsing was free and able to visit the mobile version (i.e. mainly text) version of newspapers websites then not so bad as I can read news from them..

if they would tie the device to the country only they woudl end up with no sales. after all, mobility is todays big thing and im sure they're aware of people being on the go.

i think its the publishers to blam, not the amazon - after all amazon is only their client and once they put a price tag, thats it. the only way to us, readers, is to find alternatives. saying that, its less hassle for book but newspapers are diferent story.

i say just confirm the details with amazon - i would send a mail and ask especially if you have any specific papers u read, after that youll be double sure.

ive read the web browser is clumsy and not nice, also slow. its sort of google maps being "beta" all the time, and just because they tagged it as "experimental" they wont take the beating for it as "experiment" is their defense line, whereas in reality its just either badly implemented - or simply its the limitations of ereaders (eInk) atm.

ive heard one of readers on the market changes the flash from black to white when "turning" pages - but i haven't seen it yet. and im sure they'll want to sell all whats produced till now before they'll introduce a revolution. its like blu ray players - technology waited for a couple of years before they've sold enough DVD players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

km991148 wrote: »
    Hey, am also thinking of buing a 3rd gen kindle - but cant decide on wifi only or 3G.
    Can anyone answer this:
    If I buy a UK kindle with 3g internet - can I continue to use the internet for free here in Ireland (I reckon I will keep a separate UK 'kindle' account for this).

From the above it looks like downloading of books etc are free in any country, but subs for papers and magazines will incur an extra charge, however -

If the internet is free over 3g in any country, then the mobile versions of some newpapers will be available, cutting the need for subs.. Has anyone tried this? How is the browser? or is this too slow to be of any use on the train/luas etc?

3G in Ireland is grand. A little slow but that is to be expected. The browser is not so great so I wouldn't be planning on using it too much.

However, the good news for you is that you don't need to rely on the web browser or expensive Amazon subs to read newspapers. You can download a programme called Calibre that does all of that for you. Calibre has a large list of newspapers and magazines from the UK and around the world (Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, WS Journal, Irish Times, NY Times etc). You decide which ones you like and schedule them up to download every day.

I use a programme called Wake Up From Standby to turn my computer on at 7am every morning and open Calibre. I then have Calibre set up to download some newspapers at the same time and then Wake Up From Standby puts the computer back to sleep. The newspapers are perfectly formatted for reading on the Kindle and if you connect your Kindle by USB when you get up, Calibre will send them automatically to your Kindle.

But the really cool bit is that you can set up Calibre to automatically email the files to your Kindle. If you are on 3G there is a charge for this, but on Wifi it is free. So every morning I turn my Kindle on, connect to the wifi and a couple of seconds later, I have my newspapers ready to be read.

It really is one of the best features of the Kindle. You should download Calibre and have a look at their newspaper selection and download a few of the newspapers and check them out in the built in Calibre ebook browser to see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aprillo

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how long it took to ship please?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I had a replacement one within 48 hours from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

3G in Ireland is grand. A little slow but that is to be expected. The browser is not so great so I wouldn't be planning on using it too much.

However, the good news for you is that you don't need to rely on the web browser or expensive Amazon subs to read newspapers. You can download a programme called Calibre that does all of that for you. Calibre has a large list of newspapers and magazines from the UK and around the world (Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, WS Journal, Irish Times, NY Times etc). You decide which ones you like and schedule them up to download every day.

I use a programme called Wake Up From Standby to turn my computer on at 7am every morning and open Calibre. I then have Calibre set up to download some newspapers at the same time and then Wake Up From Standby puts the computer back to sleep. The newspapers are perfectly formatted for reading on the Kindle and if you connect your Kindle by USB when you get up, Calibre will send them automatically to your Kindle.

But the really cool bit is that you can set up Calibre to automatically email the files to your Kindle. If you are on 3G there is a charge for this, but on Wifi it is free. So every morning I turn my Kindle on, connect to the wifi and a couple of seconds later, I have my newspapers ready to be read.

It really is one of the best features of the Kindle. You should download Calibre and have a look at their newspaper selection and download a few of the newspapers and check them out in the built in Calibre ebook browser to see what you think.

This is great, I didn't know that calibre had this. I don't actually have wifi so I have to pay for the email service and calibre seems to be making it tricky to auto-sync the news to a USB connected kindle after downloading.

However, I also noticed that calibre has a web server. I stuck this on the internet and it allowed me download the MOBI on the kindle via the browser. After that it's on the home page same as always. This is currently free and amazon haven't said when or if that's going to change. It took a couple of minutes, but could be a good backup if you can't sync via wifi/usb.

I don't know which web server calibre is using yet or if I trust it on the internet, although the calibre site does say it's for internet use. It also doesn't appear to have an option for SSL. The kindle only seems to be able to connect to webservers on ports 80 or 443, so keep that in mind (this is from testing, not documentation).

Can somebody tell me, on the wifi kindle is there any way to access the storage on your kindle over wifi? I'm guessing that they don't support this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Zab wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me, on the wifi kindle is there any way to access the storage on your kindle over wifi? I'm guess that they don't support this.

I very highly doubt that this can happen, would be sweet if could.

Im getting a kindle soon and love what ive just read about calibre, will be handy for getting some papers so can read them while getting ready in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Hi there,

I have been using Calibre to download The Irish Times for my Kindle every morning for a couple of months now. It has more or less stopped working in the past week - I can just get the front page articles. Has anyone else had a similar experience ? I can still download other papers including the Irish Independent so I know my PC is working ok.

Any advice or help ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yes, it's the same for me. Try making a post on the calibre forum: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have been using Calibre to download The Irish Times for my Kindle every morning for a couple of months now. It has more or less stopped working in the past week - I can just get the front page articles. Has anyone else had a similar experience ? I can still download other papers including the Irish Independent so I know my PC is working ok.

Any advice or help ?

Thanks,

Just an Update on this -

The Irish Times downloaded perfectly this morning - first time in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that whatever was wrong is fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mad_iguana

Looking at buying a kindle for the other half for Christmas, but the international store says that it won't ship for 7-9 weeks.
    However, the UK store has it in stock; if I buy from the UK store and get it sent to a UK address (I have a relative in Wales), then change the country in the "Manage My Kindle" screen to Ireland, is it effectively the exact same as having bought the international Kindle in the first place?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

According to the Heathrow twitter, Dixons in Heathrow airport are now stocking the Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

juke wrote: »
    I had a replacement one within 48 hours from the US

I just tried to order one from amazon.com as a Christmas present for someone, but it said it wouldn't arrive until mid January :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

mad_iguana wrote: »
    Looking at buying a kindle for the other half for Christmas, but the international store says that it won't ship for 7-9 weeks.
    However, the UK store has it in stock; if I buy from the UK store and get it sent to a UK address (I have a relative in Wales), then change the country in the "Manage My Kindle" screen to Ireland, is it effectively the exact same as having bought the international Kindle in the first place?

Thanks!

Yes, Kindles aren't region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

My heads spinning a bit with this ......
    Can anyone confirm that...
    Its ok to buy with 3V voucher and use Uk address for delivery and indeed contact/invoice address if necessary?

.com address is not an option now as its and Xmas gift anf they're saying Jn/feb now on US website.

Pityn this Amazon site is making this soooo difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

My heads spinning a bit with this ......
    Can anyone confirm that...
    Its ok to buy with 3V voucher and use Uk address for delivery and indeed contact/invoice address if necessary?

.com address is not an option now as its and Xmas gift anf they're saying Jn/feb now on US website.

Pityn this Amazon site is making this soooo difficult!

Dont know what a 3V voucher is but I had my kindle delivered to a uk address and arranged my own shipping from there to Ireland and saved some money.

Still have to buy books from the amazon.com site but have not encountered any problems doing so yet. I agree its a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

paulafmoen wrote: »
    I just bought mine from Amazon.co.uk and had it delivered to me in Dublin via a Northern Ireland Delivery Service. Google Northern Ireland Delivery Address and you should get it from there.

What service did you use? I am interested in doing the same.

Although judging by the rest of your posts, I am not sure how unbiased your opinion would be.

Advertisement