Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beasty's objectives for 2010

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    You're going to need another power meter. :D
    That would make 3 - do you really think I would be that extravagent?

...thinking about it though, Powertap do a track hub now....;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A couple of public sessions on the track in Manchester have given me the opportunity to try out my new bike and set-up for the hour attempt. Aero bars are not allowed in public sessions, so I would not be able to practice with them before the actual attempt.

The first session was Thursday evening. The weather was lousy and I had to spend some time drying the bike off when I got it to the track, so I did not get an opportunity to set up the Garmin to record my speed and cadence. My gear ratio was 48:14, which would require an average cadence of about 92 to get to 40 kph. I did about 25km during the session, and was very pleased with the bike set-up, although I did suffer numbness in my right hand due to the weight it was bearing. Hopefully this will not be an issue if using the aero bars.

The second session was Friday lunchtime. I stuck with the 48:14, as I feel reasonably comfortable with this gear ratio. During my 25m TTs my average cadence has been around 86-87, but it has been a bit higher in the 10m TTs – about 90-91. An extra cog on the front would reduce cadence by about 2 rpm, which I suspect is unlikely to make a major difference.

This time I had the Garmin working, and hence have some pretty decent data. Given the race on Wednesday and Thursday’s track session, I did not go full out. I pushed 3-4 hard 10 minute or so sessions. Although my overall average speed was only just over 34kph, there were longish sessions when I was averaging 39kph. Steady cycling is not so simple when there are a number of others on the track, but overall I was pleased with the session. Using the above formula I was averaging around 262w when hitting 39kph, which is about where I need to be when I have the aero bars, aero helmet and skinsuit to help me on my way. In addition, my heart rate hovered around 160-165, whereas on my 25m TT efforts were more in the 165-170 range, again suggesting I could have put a bit more effort in. The question is can I sustain this for the full hour .....

So, having tee'd up the excuses in the earlier posts, today was the big day.

The gear:
    Bike – Dolan Track Champion
    Aero bars – 3T Mistral Pro
    Helmet – Giro Advantage 2
    Computer – Garmin 500
    Skinsuit – Assos chronosuit
    Overshoes – Assos lycra
    Plus prescription “streamlined” cycling glasses

With all this stuff what could possibly go wrong?

Turned up at the velodrome at about 1.20pm. I had the track booked for my exclusive use from 2.00 until 4.00. The coach was already there so by the time I got changed I managed to get onto the track by 1.45. To start with I wanted to do a few laps to get used to the aero bars. This would also allow me to warm-up. I did 25 laps in just over 11 minutes. I was a bit nervous on the bars when going round the bends to start off with, but by the end of this session was reasonably comfortable, and able to keep to within 10cm or so of the black line for most of the lap.

My intention was to use the Garmin to track distance and speed. The coach offered to count the laps for me though, using the track lap counter. I set off, probably a bit too fast. For the first kilometre I was averaging 42.5kph. It was very difficult to see the Garmin, as it was mounted on the stem. The only way to have a proper look would be to sit up completely.

I continued at a relatively fast pace, still averaging just under 42kph over the first 4km. This is where I started to think my mind was playing games, as the lap counter seemed to be missing some of my laps. I couldn’t afford to sit up and keep checking the Garmin, but after I had counted 40 laps the counter was showing 36! My legs were suffering a bit, but not as much as my elbows, and in particular the left one which suffers a bit more force going round the bends on the aero bars. I decided to give it a rest, and sat up for a couple of laps (still trying to maintain 40kph). At what I thought was 44 laps the Garmin showed over 11km, suggesting my own guess as to how far I had gone was more accurate than the lap counter.

As the laps progressed I felt myself gradually slipping back on the pace. According to the Garmin I did 20.02km in exactly 30 minutes, but based on the lap counter I was nearer 18km. I was seriously doubting the calibration of the Garmin, and had quite a lot of discomfort in the arms, legs and in the saddle area. I was also feeling dehydrated – although I had taken fluids and gels before starting, there was no opportunity for topping up during the ride.

I considered dropping out, as I had guessed I was quite a bit behind target. However I thought I would keep going until 80 laps and take it from there. At 80 I targeted 100 and at 100 I targeted 120. By then the coach was counting down from 10 minutes. I pushed hard for the last 5 minutes, but was pretty certain I would be well off my 40km target. At 130 the lap counter stopped altogether, and that’s where it stuck when he blew the whistle at the end.

A measly 32.5km according to the counter, but I knew he had missed some laps, and I had not kept to the black line, so there would be some extra distance as a result of this. The coach admitted he had had been erratic when counting the laps, but thought it would be OK, as I was relying on the Garmin!!

I had given up on the Garmin, but when I looked down it showed 39.4km. I guessed I had probably done something over 38, but was not sure. I knew I had missed the 40km target though.

Once I had chance to get some fluid I decided to do some slow laps on the black line to calibrate the Garmin. I did 9 x 250m laps and it came to 2.25km – ie the Garmin was right all along!!! In the end I was only 550m (just over 2 laps) short – I may have pushed a bit harder in the middle if I’d known the Garmin was accurate, but I also lost a bit of time sitting up to give my arms a break.

Hence stats are:
    Time 1hr
    Speed – average 39.44kph, max 43.74kph
    HR – average 165, max 173
    Cadence – average 91, max 101

PowerAgent graph/data:

track140810.jpg?t=1281813177

Here are the pictures:

velo1_edited-1.jpg?t=1281813493

Blurred to give a sense of speed;):

velo2_edited-2.jpg?t=1281813637

A commute, Wednesday's Swords League race, 3 track sessions and a bit of time in the hotel gym today added up to 228km for the week, at an average speed of 33.3kph, making the YTD total 6,668km (now over 2/3 of the way there:)) at 29.4kph. This puts me 448km ahead of target, with 3,332km to go.

It should quieten down a bit next week, with the main focus being Wednesday's final Swords League race (except for the Nags Head hill climb - might head off to Sundrive that night;)) on a new, almost completely fast, course. Given the speed of all the Groups last Wednesday, it will be interesting to see what they do with the handicaps, and how fast the race is. It's only due to be 33km in total, and I suspect the key will be trying to hang on when the faster groups catch us. I am hopeful given the lack of hills or even drags on the course, but who knows. Wednesday is likely to be my last road race of the year, although there is a vets 50mTT at the beginning of September I am thinking about:eek: (with a bit of luck "family commitments" will be back in play by then!)

I'll be heading off to Cornwall for a long weekend, so no cycling after Thursday, and I'll be eating into the headroom for my 10,000km target.

• Advertisement

I was originally planning to attempt this later in the year, but circumstances conspired to provide me with the opportunity to give this a go on Saturday (including Team GB very kindly giving up their normal Saturday afternoon training session!). With hindsight there are a number of things I could have done better, and given how close I managed to get to my 40km target, I think I will be back to give it another go (probably next year)

This was the hardest thing I have ever attempted on the bike. I have had more pain in my legs (in my first 25mTT), and I have felt my lungs more in other races. I have also put out more power. However the combination of pushing towards my power limits (certainly in such a low aero position), the pains in my legs and a combination of pain and numbness in my forearms and the saddle area, breathing hard and the psychological effects of thinking I was drifting well behind target was pretty unrelenting for the full hour.

When I turned up I did not even know if I was going to give it a serious go, because I had not been able to try the aero bars on that track. I now know I can use them, although I need to adjust them to get a more comfortable position. I reckon I must have lost quite a bit of time sitting up to give my arms a rest (probably sat up for 12-15 laps in total, costing me 100 to 150m or so). I was using S-bend bars, and had only given them a short go at Sundrive previously. I have used J-bend clip-ons on the road bike, and this type may be a better option for me, possibly helping reduce any forearm pressure. I also need to experiment with the angle of the bars.

I would certainly have been better off if I had practiced a bit longer – maybe 30 minutes rather than 11, also allowing me to get properly warmed up. I probably could have done with another half-bottle of lucozade sport inside me before the start also – the indoor track probably takes a lot more fluid out of you than when outdoors.

I think my gearing was probably about right. In fact, thinking back I cannot see many benefits from either increasing or reducing it. Putting on a higher gear would have cut down the cadence, but this is more likely to stress the leg muscles. Most hour records are set at a cadence of 100 or so, but this would be very unnatural for me. I would need to do 92 rpm or so to get to 40kph, and even this is a bit high for me over an hour. I do need to experiment though, and I think I will start by lowering the gear and upping the cadence a bit. A 47T front ring will increase the required cadence by about 2 to 94.

I also need to change the saddle – it had not been a problem previously, but was in no way suited to 1 hour of intense pressure – I think I’ll give my normal road bike saddle (which has been used in 25mTTs without major problem) a go at Sundrive.

My plan was to get ahead of target and try and stay there. However I think I pushed it too hard for the first 4-5km, which had me gasping for air a bit, and my legs and arms were already beginning to ache. I would probably have been better off starting at around 41kph and trying to hold it as long as possible. If I could have maintained this for the first 10k, then dropped to say 39.5kph for the next 20k, and picking it back up to 40kph for the last 10, this would be more typical of the relative efforts in my previous 25mTTs.

In terms of the bike, it seems fine for the job, but the main question, I guess, is whether I should consider investing in a rear disc wheel – it seems a bit extravagant, given it would probably only be used 4 or 5 times a year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    My plan was to get ahead of target and try and stay there. However I think I pushed it too hard for the first 4-5km, which had me gasping for air a bit, and my legs and arms were already beginning to ache. I would probably have been better off starting at around 41kph and trying to hold it as long as possible.

Your plan failed. You need a new plan. Going hard early on makes no logical sense - the graph shows you going into the red, attempting to hold it there but failing and getting slower.

I would just move the Garmin up to where you can see it (duct tape FTW) then spend the first 15 mins steadily cranking it up to 40kph average (over that period). Then hold that until the final 10 minutes when you can push a little harder.

Or else forget the Garmin and get someone to count laps and time you properly. Maybe they could hold out red/amber/green cards for slower/steady/faster signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Lumen wrote: »
    Or else forget the Garmin and get someone to count laps and time you properly. Maybe they could hold out red/amber/green cards for slower/steady/faster signals.

Last thing you needed was to be dealing with the discrepancy between the garmin and the coach. Who knows what affect the doubt your in your mind had on your performance, my guess is it was significant.

The Garmin will definitely be in view next time! I've found the data available a major benefit during the TTs I have done to date

I thought I was initially going at a pace I could sustain, perhaps for the first half, with an expectation of a bit of a dip in the third quarter allowing me to come back strong in the "home straight". I appreciate that in an ideal world power and speed would have been pretty constant throughout, but it is difficult to focus so intensely to maintain this (certainly for a novice like myself) for the full hour.

A combination of factors (and in particular the discomfort/pain I was in) meant I did not keep up the initial pace on this occasion. You can see I actually picked up pace after 11km - this was when I first sat up and could see the Garmin - clearly I was putting more effort in at that stage, both to raise the speed, and counteract the additional aerodynamic drag.

The discrepancy between Garmin and coach was definitely playing on my mind. If I had known I was still on target at half-way, I may have pushed a bit harder in the 3rd quarter. As it was, I was thinking more about jacking it in because I thought I was well behind target pace. Towards the end I pretty much ignored the lap counter, and picked up the pace a little during the last few km (although this has been a feature of my 25mTTs also - I do manage to pick it up when I feel the end is in sight).

Anyway, I think there were enough lessons learned for me to believe that with a few adjustments I can achieve the 40km:)

Tonight was the final "proper" race of the season (I may do another TT or two) at the new "White House" course.

Race report here

Despite being dropped early on, and one or two negative comments from other riders, I quite liked the course. However I had ridden (and driven) it before, and probably knew better than most what to expect (and spent half the race riding on my own, which was much easier than in the Group!)

Stats:

Distance 32.8km
    Time 56m 20s
    Speed - average 35kph, max 47.1kph
    Power - average 265w, pedalling 279w. normalised 278w, max 866w
    HR - average 166, max 177
    Cadence - average 88, pedalling 96

Average HR was a bit high compared to other races this season, and I did feel my legs a bit early in the race - I suspect I was not fully over the after-effects of Saturday's efforts

Power was at or pretty close to my best between about 30 mins and the race duration of 56 minutes, I just feel as if I used too much of it in the early part closing down gaps and pulling through to the front. It's something I need to work on for next year.

CP curve:
    whitehouse180810.jpg?t=1282168500

• Advertisement

Last night was my final road race of the season. I will probably do another couple of events, but they will be TTs or on the track.

When I started this log I had absolutely no intention of racing at all. Even when I joined the Swords Club in March it was with a view to doing some TTs and perhaps some track pursuits – I never imagined I would get into “proper” road racing. Anyway I decided to give it a go, and now find myself having done 14 races over the last 4 months or so.

So what have I achieved – in terms of points, not a great deal – largely just my 2 for turning up each week, although I did get 7th place and 4 points in a Vets DMS. Indeed for some reason I appear to have finished in 50th place (out of about 140) in the Vets midweek league, having only taken part in 4 of the 13 events.

I took part in 11 Swords and 3 Vets races, and completed 12 of them (no mechanicals though:)), although I was only in (or somewhere near) the “mix” in 5 of those, and was completely dropped in 6 races:o. I suspect I was a bit more cautious than many riders, and typically was dropped by not keeping close and fast enough through some of the corners (I remain nervous over the possibility of crashing, with my track record in this area and a history of back problems I suspect I will remain one of the more cautious ones – However I will work on this, and in particular the line I take through corners).

I can’t do a post of this nature without some stats;):

Total distance raced – 580.02km
    Total time racing – 16h 54m 55s
    Average speed – 34.3kph
    Power – Average 250w, pedalling 272w, normalised 274w

I’ll definitely be back next year, hopefully a bit wiser, and with more focussed training in me. Having said that, I remain unconvinced that group racing is best for me. I will probably pick and choose my races next year, to allow me to focus on a few more TTs and get some track work in. I may shift emphasis towards some of the Vets races also, as I feel at somewhat of a disadvantage racing against guys that are usually 20-30 (in some cases more) years younger than me at Swords (and the vets courses are flatter, with fewer potholes:D)

For anyone who may be thinking about taking up racing, I know my posts here have been a bit long-winded, but I hope I have been able to get a flavour of my own experiences over, both here and in the race threads. If I can take up racing, anyone can. I would recommend you join your local club and give it a go - despite the pain, I can honestly say I have enjoyed every race, and have no regrets whatsoever. Swords is a great club, and I have been welcomed by everyone I have come across, both from within the club, and other cycling clubs and organisations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Total distance raced – 580.02km
    Total time racing – 16h 54m 55s
    Average speed – 34.3kph

Have enjoyed your posts Beasty (and the pleasure of your company :rolleyes:).

Thought this interest you......

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/ritfiche.php?ritid=12287

Bordeaux - Paris 1985
    France
    Date: 25-05-1985
    Distance: 585 km
    1st René Martens in 13h 19m 05s
    2nd Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle at 04m 31s
    3rd Guy Gallopin at 11m 25s

Paul Kimmage finished 9th that year.

Anquetil also won it once the day after winning the Dauphine Libre (flew by private jet to the start allegedly drinking champagne ...)

Tom Simpson won it once as well.

RobFowl wrote: »

(flew by private jet to the start allegedly drinking champagne ...)

That's where I've gone wrong - I've flown in to races from Paris and Monte Carlo this season, but foolishly refused the offer of champagne on the flights ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Beasty,

Really interesting log you have going here. Man doing 130 laps of a velodrome track must have taken serious concentration. Agree with Lumen, you need constant reliable checkpoints of your progress. It must have felt harsh to be just 0.5km short of the 40 :eek: As for the pain, I did an hour all out on the turbo last night for the first (and last) time and my legs have never felt anything like it. Sadistic is a word I could use!

Hope you stay healthy and reach your 10,000k goal :)

It was actually about 156 or 157 laps when the ones that were not counted are included

If you scan back through the thread (I know, it's painful) you will see my references to 3 hour and 100km non-stop sessions on the turbo...:D

Only a short gym session on Monday, the Swords League on Wednesday and a commute on Thursday this week - total 110km, making YTD 6,778 at 29.4 kph

3,222km to go and 367km ahead of target

Another quiet week ahead as I won't be back from Cornwall until Tuesday evening - probably just the Swords Hill Climb on Wednesday and hopefully a couple of commutes, meaning I'll eat further into the headroom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Another quiet week ahead as I won't be back from Cornwall until Tuesday evening - probably just the Swords Hill Climb on Wednesday and hopefully a couple of commutes, meaning I'll eat further into the headroom.

Must try to co-ordinate some Tuesday commutes back...

If you can get out Sat am would fancy some extra miles at the end, would help you get some credit in the bank :rolleyes:

RobFowl wrote: »
    Must try to co-ordinate some Tuesday commutes back...

If you can get out Sat am would fancy some extra miles at the end, would help you get some credit in the bank :rolleyes:

Where are you coming from on Tuesday's Rob? Now the League is drawing to a close, I'll be aiming at commuting as often as I can (Champions League permitting - not an issue for you this season, I know Rob)

In terms of Saturdays, I will be bringing the "family committments" back from Cornwall on Tuesday, and they tend to tie up Saturdays, as I'm driving them round to various events. I'll try and get on the Swords spins when I can, but have to pick and choose my times, particularly as I'd like to do the vets 50mTT in a couple of weeks, and the IVCA track championships a couple of weeks later. It tends to be mainly school hols when I can get out on a weekend (except for dark and icy winter evenings:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

It was actually about 156 or 157 laps when the ones that were not counted are included

If you scan back through the thread (I know, it's painful) you will see my references to 3 hour and 100km non-stop sessions on the turbo...:D

Ah yes, did one of those earlier this year myself and while not as painful as the hour TT, it certainly bored me so much I lost the will to exist :D

Final Swords League race of the season tonight - report here

In terms of the stats -
    Distance 3.6km
    Time - 9m 14s
    Speed - 23.3kph average, 45.3kph max
    Power - 316w average, 321w pedalling, 317w normalised, 742w max
    Work - 174kj
    HR - 173 average, 186 max
    Cadence - 86 average, 88 pedalling, 111 max

CP Curve:
    nagsheadTT.jpg?t=1282770707

I've not been on a bike since last Thursday, and spent all yesterday driving back from Cornwall, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular and wasn't therefore disappointed!

I experimented with a 16-27 cassette - I may have lost a bit of speed on the flat and the short bit of downhill, but it gave me plenty of options on the uphill. I felt I was spinning a bit too much up the final slope, and should probably have gone a gear higher. The gradient for the last 100m was just under 13%, and my cadence was by then 100. However I was pushing out nearly 630w, and had an average speed of 19.7kph - I'm not sure I could have gone much faster, particularly as I was by then equalling the maximum HR I have ever recorded.

Anyway, that's the end of the Swords League for this season - 14 races plus another 2 marshalled amounted to 32 (16 x 2) points - next year I plan to get an extra point somewhere along the line ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where did you get a 16-27 cassette from?

edit: I see bike24 have them

I actually got it from Wiggle, but they are out of stock at present. It's only ever going to get used in hill climbs, and I will probably only do a couple of those a year, so if you ever want to borrow it let me know

I set a new record for the commute this morning, smashing 2 seconds off my previous best set on 6 May. This was my first ever sub-39 minute commute at 38m 58s, for an average speed of just over 34.4kph. Wind speed was a legal 16kph northerly, so this qualifies for entry in Beasty’s World Book of Records.

I set off knowing a record was on, but having re-set the Garmin before last night’s hill climb, I only had the power data to go on. I did not know my time until I pressed the stop button at the office car park entrance.

This proves the new boards jersey does make you faster ...

As anticipated, just the Swords Hill Climb and a couple of commutes this week. Total distance 121.5km at 29.7kph and 218w

Total YTD now stands at 6,894km at 29.4kph, with 3,106km to go.

Next week, if we manage to get the Boards 10m TT off the ground, I'll be aiming at trying out the new TT bike (Mr Skeff's old one), and if all goes well, hopefully it will be given another outing at the vets 50m TT:eek: on Sunday - it will be my first 50m TT, based on the shorter ones I have done, I should target somewhere around my age standard, which is just under 2h 17m. However I have done very few rides of this distance all year, and suspect I will be struggling by the end - I would guess my time will be nearer 2h 30m (and probably the wrong side of that!).

I should get a few commutes in also, so hopefully will regain some of the advantage over YTD target I have lost over the past couple of weeks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I did it two years ago and was destroyed at the end of it. The pain in my right foot was exquisite. Lasted a good ten minutes after. Neck and shoulders were terrible for the last half hour or so. Pain pain pain.
    Two hours plus in that position............lol. It's a ripper!

Apart from that, a piece of cake. Good luck. I'm off the bike till November.

I last did a 50mile TT as part of a duathlon 1n 1992.
    2:16 on a rolling course :cool:. (fastest on the day was 2;08 by a guy on a relay team)
    Shame about the fact that I went from 8th to 100th on the final run though :o
    As painful an experience as I've ever had on the bike.
    Enjoy......

Thanks guys - I feel those family commitments coming back;)

I'm certainly not going to be winning this one as I will be riding off scratch (which could well be sub 2hr:eek:)

However if I set a time this year, that becomes my handicap for next year - maybe I should be aiming at 3 hours or so;)

I would like to see what I can do with the TT bike - won't have any special wheels (in fact I'll have the PowerTap on the back) - but if I can set a reasonable time, I'll maybe look for some aero wheels for next year

Stats from tonight's TT:

Time 24m 49s,
    speed - average 38.9kph, max 49.1kph
    power - 275w average, 276w pedalling, 280w normalised, 533w max
    HR - 167 average, 175 max
    cadence - 94 average, 95 pedalling, 119 maximum

This was my 4th 10m TT, and I've managed to improve my time on each occasion.

The first one was in the Swords League - a hilly course, and it was quite windy - my time was 27m 8s at normalised power of 297w, and I had the benefit of TT bars.

The second was a flat Vets TT, slightly windy, at Moy Valley/Enfiled - this time I had an aero helmet and skinsuit, contributing to a time of 25m 39s at normalised power of 290w

The third was another vets TT, on the same course we used tonight. It was slightly windier than tonight, and I set a time of 25m 6s, at normalised power of 291w

Tonight I had the benefit of a proper TT bike for the first time. However I had not had time to try it out beforehand, and so the set-up was not ideal - I need to look at the saddle set-up in particular. Power was slightly down on previous attempts, but I was taking a bit more care as I was trying to get used to the bike, and in partiular the bar-end gears (which on a few occasions I switched in the wrong direction!) Cadence was much higher than in my other TTs, which, I think, reflects the easier gear-changing

Just need the wheels now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

how many bikes do you have now? a new track and TT bike this season.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beasty.
    Nice bike and well wear. The wheels look very wrong on it. You NEED new wheels.

Advertisement