Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Affordable Dentist? (for veneers)

Options
  • 13-08-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi i'm looking to get 3 or 4 veneers but everywhere is charging between €350 and €650 per tooth which is ridiculous! anyone know of a cheaper dentist? Preferably around Dublin but willing to travel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

This might not be up ur street but if you are willing to travel to Cork, in UCC, there are dentists in training, they do everything from pulling a tooth to braces, at more or less half the cost of ur regular dentist, they are supervised by a qualified dentist through the whole procedure. Might not be ur cup of tea but they are very good. You can check the prices on the UCC website.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

They most likely won't do cosmetic cases like this as undergraduates in training in UCC. €350 to €650 is reasonable for veneers. They have to be made in a lab and they take a considerable amount of expertise to be made correctly. I charge up to €800 for a single tooth veneer made from feldspathic porcelain, prosthodontists may charge even more for a single tooth.

All I can say in this regard is you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

snip...no names allowed

1.50mins each way in car from dublin

veneers for front teeth (4 veneers) -- was around £130 for the lot this was purely comestic and had them replaced after around 4 years, for around same money.

havent been to a dentist in southern ireland for over 8 years.

they have been RIPPING people off for years here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

snip...no names allowed

1.50mins each way in car from dublin

veneers for front teeth (4 veneers) -- was around £130 for the lot this was purely comestic and had them replaced after around 4 years, for around same money.

havent been to a dentist in southern ireland for over 8 years.

they have been RIPPING people off for years here...

Afriad not chap, you had 4 white fillings which is a totally different proceedure. A porcelain veneer is different and considerably better and more expensive, google it.

Also dont post names as per charter.

Good venners will cost over a thousand euro per tooth, bad ones a lot less, depends on the quality and aesthetics you expect for your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

Don't know what part of the country your from but i travel to enniskellin to get my teeth done for a fraction of the price i would be charged in Mayo excellent dentist

• Advertisement

Anyone have any interest in quality at all.....or should I talk to a wall instead?

Fitz you know we've been walltalking in here for years. Some people will buy German engineering like BMW Audi or Mercedes and some are only interested in buying second hand Eastern European ex cold war garbage like Ladas or South Korean knock offs of Japanese engineering which is knock off of the original German product. I don't know if you can change these people. They think they are getting a bargain but what they are getting is ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

i know someone who flew to LA for Jacko's funeral but won't have any dental treatment unles the med card covers it.

PS my fee for veneers is 1100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    My wife had 8 done and 2 white fillings for 2k and they are perfect look outside Ireland
    ****SNIP*****] have a look its your cash spend it anyway you want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i know someone who flew to LA for Jacko's funeral but won't have any dental treatment unles the med card covers it.

PS my fee for veneers is 1100 euro

the fool, everyone knows jacko is still alive and up there with the aliens that took elvis away. it's all because he called himself the king of pop. when elvis died in march 09, the aliens came back searching for the new king. they took jacko instead.

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife had 8 done and 2 white fillings for 2k and they are perfect look outside Ireland
    ****snip*** have a look its your cash spend it anyway you want

In all fairness the photos on the website of the aesthetic results are terrible, maybe your standards in aesthetics are lower than most, none of my patients would accept that sort of result. High quality dentistry is not for everyone, its your cash spend it anyway you want.

NO NAMES ALLOWED...infraction given

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

In all fairness the photos on the website of the aesthetic results are terrible, maybe your standards in aesthetics are lower than most, none of my patients would accept that sort of result. High quality dentistry is not for everyone, its your cash spend it anyway you want.

NO NAMES ALLOWED...infraction given

My standards are up there its the robbers over here that talk like that (Do you have any patients) and the infraction does not matter to me I was just trying to help a person out

Carpenter, Banned 1 week, read the PM that came with the infraction to understand why. A lot of people who get bad/suboptimal dental work done dont know about abut it for a number of years (just cause its white dont mean its right).....these are my patients and business is a booming. Thanks for asking.

Oh I remember our discussion from 2007 (pre recession) doesnt seem our views have changed but the person you know with the dental work has

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176587

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

I know a fella who holidays in Turkey. Got teeth pulled, got new set of teeth , i dont know exactly what they are but they look perfect.

1500 euro i think.
    He met an irish lad over who told him he only got one done here for the price of the whole procedure my buddy got. It might be just his front teeth but looks like a new person.

Im not claiming its safe but worth a look as even with the price of a package holiday on top of dental work might be cheaper than here. A family member said irish dentists would run a mile if you asked them for a bit of help fixing your "foreign teeth"

johnnyjb wrote: »
    I know a fella who holidays in Turkey. Got teeth pulled, got new set of teeth , i dont know exactly what they are but they look perfect.

1500 euro i think.
    He met an irish lad over who told him he only got one done here for the price of the whole procedure my buddy got. It might be just his front teeth but looks like a new person.

Im not claiming its safe but worth a look as even with the price of a package holiday on top of dental work might be cheaper than here. A family member said irish dentists would run a mile if you asked them for a bit of help fixing your "foreign teeth"

Oh well that proves it then....Dental tourism is done to death here, caution is advised.

Dental tourism is done to death here, caution is advised.

I agree with ya but some people would have no problem with it or might only be able afford this option.

Its not essential to have veneers, if you cant afford to have them done by somebody who knows what they are doing and will take care with your teeth and spend money on good diagnostic work and lab work, dont have them done at all.

Its not essential to have veneers, if you cant afford to have them done by somebody who knows what they are doing and will take care with your teeth and spend money on good diagnostic work and lab work, dont have them done at all.

Alright come down off the righteous horse. Are you an irish dentist?

How is that righteous? Yes I am an irish dentist. Its advice, bourn from experience rather and anecdote. Take it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

That is the most disgraceful thing I have heard all week. I would report that to the Social Welfare inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

not really. she saved (or borrowed)the money for the trip so it's her decision what to do with it. I was merely pointing out how people view things differently and have a different sense of values.

and I would rather see a med card holder enjoy a holiday in LA than some other individual whose inflated salary and expense account comes from our taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ValerieD

well i certainly didnt expect to cause a debate about this! thanks all for your replies. need to think about this one. I realise you get what you pay for but its just so damn expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

ValerieD wrote: »
    well i certainly didnt expect to cause a debate about this! thanks all for your replies. need to think about this one. I realise you get what you pay for but its just so damn expensive!

Do what you think is right Irish Dentist are to expensive saving up to go abroad for treatment bit of a jolly teeth fixed nuff said i mean €80 for to get your teeth cleaned come on that is a rip off

AAAaaannndd we're done here. Thanks to all the posters, especially the ones showing disrespect to a moderator and generally ruining the tone of the thread. Ordinarily I'd hand out a few bans but I'm feeling good today, despite it being Monday. Locked.

Just though I would add this from the OP sorry to bump a old thread but its important.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056182108
    ValerieD wrote: »
    Hi all, I could really do with some advice!

I travelled abroad to Hungary to have veneers done and they were fitted two weeks ago. I had 5 veneers and 1 crown fitted to my upper front teeth.
    I was only back a few days when one of the veneers fell off. I had to have this re-cemented over here which cost me €80. The next day, another one fell off - and again i had to have this re-cemented back on.

The dentist i went to where i live said that the material did not appear to be porcelain as it was etching and staining. The dentist abroad is adamant that it was infact porcelain that they used. Secondly, the work is completely inconsistent. The crown is white and the veneers are a light yellow colour. The veneer colour is not the colour i picked out. I picked a natural white. When i put it to the dentist abroad i was told that the crown is zirconium based and that it why it is whiter - plus the veneers are transluscent so the final colour depends on the colour of your own teeth underneath. I was never informed of any of this.

Lastly - some of the veneers are made chunkier than others. My two front teeth are not even the same shape and size - one is longer than the other and thicker in depth. And the reason why the other two veneers came off is because the dentist abroad did not tailor the veneer to suit my bite. It was constantly getting in the way when i was trying to eat.
    Now the dentist abroad has offered to reimburse me for having the veneers re-cemented back on but i wonder what to do about the fact that one tooth is white while the others are yellow?? As porcelain doesnt bleach, the only option would be to replace the veneers completely which would be so expensive. Am i being unreasonable to expect the dentist abroad to cover the cost of this?

I really dont know what to do. I dont want to be stuck with these teeth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement