Veneers - bad job done! need advice :( - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-02-2011, 14:26   #1
ValerieD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Veneers - bad job done! need advice :(

Hi all, I could really do with some advice!

I travelled abroad to Hungary to have veneers done and they were fitted two weeks ago. I had 5 veneers and 1 crown fitted to my upper front teeth.
I was only back a few days when one of the veneers fell off. I had to have this re-cemented over here which cost me €80. The next day, another one fell off - and again i had to have this re-cemented back on.

The dentist i went to where i live said that the material did not appear to be porcelain as it was etching and staining. The dentist abroad is adamant that it was infact porcelain that they used. Secondly, the work is completely inconsistent. The crown is white and the veneers are a light yellow colour. The veneer colour is not the colour i picked out. I picked a natural white. When i put it to the dentist abroad i was told that the crown is zirconium based and that it why it is whiter - plus the veneers are transluscent so the final colour depends on the colour of your own teeth underneath. I was never informed of any of this.

Lastly - some of the veneers are made chunkier than others. My two front teeth are not even the same shape and size - one is longer than the other and thicker in depth. And the reason why the other two veneers came off is because the dentist abroad did not tailor the veneer to suit my bite. It was constantly getting in the way when i was trying to eat.
Now the dentist abroad has offered to reimburse me for having the veneers re-cemented back on but i wonder what to do about the fact that one tooth is white while the others are yellow?? As porcelain doesnt bleach, the only option would be to replace the veneers completely which would be so expensive. Am i being unreasonable to expect the dentist abroad to cover the cost of this?

I really dont know what to do. I dont want to be stuck with these teeth
ValerieD is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2011, 14:32   #2
fitzgeme
Moderator
 
fitzgeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,249
Sound like a bad job post some pics.....you will need it redone by somebody that knows what they are doing. Did you approve the veneers before they were cemented? Was there a period in provisionals to see what they would look like?

Hate to say I told you so but...............
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055998870

Last edited by fitzgeme; 16-02-2011 at 14:35.
fitzgeme is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-02-2011, 14:48   #3
ValerieD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
lol thanks for pointing that out! i was referred to this dentist by an agent over there so i was a bit more trustworthy than i would have been. I know its a classic case of "you get what you pay for".

I had no temporary veneers on so i did not get to feel what they were like. And i only got to see them when i was having them cemented and they looked ok but i only saw and felt the defects when they were actually in my mouth. I had little choice at the time but to accept them as i was travelling back home two days later. I didnt realise they were considered bad workmanship until the dentist over here pointed it out..

Not sure whether to pursue them to pay for the work to be re-done as i wouldnt trust them doing it themselves. Chances are i will have them all replaced at some stage.

....Was it really necessary to bump up that last thread!

Last edited by ValerieD; 16-02-2011 at 15:10. Reason: additional info
ValerieD is offline  
16-02-2011, 16:41   #4
fitzgeme
Moderator
 
fitzgeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieD View Post
lol thanks for pointing that out! i was referred to this dentist by an agent over there so i was a bit more trustworthy than i would have been. I know its a classic case of "you get what you pay for".

I had no temporary veneers on so i did not get to feel what they were like. And i only got to see them when i was having them cemented and they looked ok but i only saw and felt the defects when they were actually in my mouth. I had little choice at the time but to accept them as i was travelling back home two days later. I didnt realise they were considered bad workmanship until the dentist over here pointed it out..

Not sure whether to pursue them to pay for the work to be re-done as i wouldnt trust them doing it themselves. Chances are i will have them all replaced at some stage.!
Everything is fixable with time and attention to detail. Unfortunately you may for the reasons above have to just put it down to experience and start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieD View Post
Was it really necessary to bump up that last thread!
Well I think you would have like to have known this before you teeth were damaged, maybe it will save somebody else.

Last edited by fitzgeme; 16-02-2011 at 21:19.
fitzgeme is offline  
16-02-2011, 17:29   #5
georgieporgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Naas
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieD View Post
lol thanks for pointing that out! i was referred to this dentist by an agent over there so i was a bit more trustworthy than i would have been. I know its a classic case of "you get what you pay for".

I had no temporary veneers on so i did not get to feel what they were like. And i only got to see them when i was having them cemented and they looked ok but i only saw and felt the defects when they were actually in my mouth. I had little choice at the time but to accept them as i was travelling back home two days later. I didnt realise they were considered bad workmanship until the dentist over here pointed it out..

Not sure whether to pursue them to pay for the work to be re-done as i wouldnt trust them doing it themselves. Chances are i will have them all replaced at some stage.

....Was it really necessary to bump up that last thread!
You should sue the agent who seduced you with misleading advice. You deserve to get all your out of pocket expenses refunded PLUS the cost of redoing it properly PLUS legal costs PLUS compensation for wasted time and possible damage to your teeth. A couple years ago some politician made big noise advising people to go abroad. Sue him/them too.

I'm a dentist. If I advised a patient to go abroad and they ended up like you I'd expect a big nasty letter on my desk from their lawyer and I'd be worried about losing my license.
Write a few letters to newspapers also. At least it may help prevent it happening to somebody else.
georgieporgy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2011, 18:17   #6
work
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 224
bad veneers

Going abroad for short periods for dental treatment will almost always result in shoddy treatment. You will have no come back on a dentist in Hungary as you need to sue locally (they are obviously not regulated in Ireland) which would be a nightmare for you and likely a further waste of time and money.
If there was an Irish agent certainly sue them. I cannot understand how someone can think an agent (salesperson) has any interest in your health, they are purely there to sell you products they know little about.

Please put this one down to a mistake and find the best dentist or prosthodontist you can to put it right.

Do not feel too bad, it is happening to thousands of people every day but at least you have the bawls to admit to going abroad. Most Irish shout about how much they saved until it goes wrong when they fall beneath the radar with embarresment.

I cannot state enough how important it is you do not go back as they are unlikely to do anything that will not involve more damage to the irreplacable tooth structure you have left.

Good luck whatever you do
work is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2011, 22:30   #7
fitzgeme
Moderator
 
fitzgeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,249
Indeed ValerieD, kudos on telling your story, so many people jump up and down about the bargain but are like mute statues with amnesia if thing go badly.
fitzgeme is offline  
Thanks from:
25-02-2011, 15:46   #8
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
whoah was considering going somewhere like hungary etc. to get work done have to say not as sure about it now though. i have heard that in germany they do excelllant work while not as cheaply as hungary and the like but still not as expensive as here, can anyone vouch for same??

also; it was veneers that i was considering, i havent really researched it in full yet but still very undecided. the structure of my teeth is actually perfect but badly stained from years of neglect you can also see 'brown marks' where the teeth are starting to rot at the side of my incisor. could this be treated by some sort of whiteneing treatment or are the veneers the only option?????????
celtictiger32 is offline  
25-02-2011, 15:53   #9
r3nu4l
Administrator
 
r3nu4l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In a world of technological devices
Posts: 15,108
Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
Congratulations to the OP on admitting that they had trouble with the work done. It turned out to be an expensive mistake for a 'cheap' job

However, dodgy work is not exclusive to Eastern European countries, there's dodgy work carried out in Ireland too. The difference is you have much more comeback in Ireland compared to Eastern Europe and while it will be expensive to pursue in Ireland you have a better chance of success and a better chance of having legal costs refunded to you.
r3nu4l is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2011, 17:03   #10
georgieporgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Naas
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictiger32 View Post
whoah was considering going somewhere like hungary etc. to get work done have to say not as sure about it now though. i have heard that in germany they do excelllant work while not as cheaply as hungary and the like but still not as expensive as here, can anyone vouch for same??

also; it was veneers that i was considering, i havent really researched it in full yet but still very undecided. the structure of my teeth is actually perfect but badly stained from years of neglect you can also see 'brown marks' where the teeth are starting to rot at the side of my incisor. could this be treated by some sort of whiteneing treatment or are the veneers the only option?????????

What you need is to go see a dentist for a check up to ascertain what the problem is. Maybe you need a cleaning. maybe some fillings. maybe even veneers. Most people who come to me thinking they need veneers actually don't.
georgieporgy is offline  
25-02-2011, 17:27   #11
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieporgy View Post
What you need is to go see a dentist for a check up to ascertain what the problem is. Maybe you need a cleaning. maybe some fillings. maybe even veneers. Most people who come to me thinking they need veneers actually don't.
true.. probably the obvious thing to do alright. thanks
celtictiger32 is offline  
01-03-2011, 09:48   #12
ValerieD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictiger32 View Post
whoah was considering going somewhere like hungary etc. to get work done have to say not as sure about it now though. i have heard that in germany they do excelllant work while not as cheaply as hungary and the like but still not as expensive as here, can anyone vouch for same??



also; it was veneers that i was considering, i havent really researched it in full yet but still very undecided. the structure of my teeth is actually perfect but badly stained from years of neglect you can also see 'brown marks' where the teeth are starting to rot at the side of my incisor. could this be treated by some sort of whiteneing treatment or are the veneers the only option?????????


Well given my experience with having it done in another country, i would strongly advise you not to go abroad. I have to have all of mine replaced now and the process takes several weeks whereas when you go abroad you get it done in a week usually. Theres a lot more preparation involved than you think. What they do abroad is just a rush job.

After seeing a specialist here about the bad work done, i found out that amongst other things - the fitting on mine were really bad also. There is bacteria getting under mine now because i cant clean them properly. bacteria as you know causes teeth to decay. Plus I was told you are supposed to be able to bite on an apple with veneers but let me tell you these ones wouldnt survive a sandwich! Two have come off already and theres another one thats loose.

The specialist i've gone to see deals with this type of problem on a daily basis. These poor people spending a fortune having the work re-done and all because they wanted to save a few quid by going abroad. While i was at the specialist the last time, another lady was there after being to Turkey. She kept getting infections because of bacteria getting in under the veneers due to the bad fitting. Her teeth looked great i have to say, looked well better than mine. but the fitting was just at bad, infact hers was probably worse than mine.

Im not sure that i can post the name of the place i went to in Hungary, but if you want the name just pm me. You will see that the place looks so modern and state of the art (which is probably what fooled me the most). So dont be fooled. I've learned from my mistake and if someone else can learn from it too than it will have been worth my while going over in the first place
ValerieD is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2011, 14:09   #13
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieD View Post
Well given my experience with having it done in another country, i would strongly advise you not to go abroad. I have to have all of mine replaced now and the process takes several weeks whereas when you go abroad you get it done in a week usually. Theres a lot more preparation involved than you think. What they do abroad is just a rush job.

After seeing a specialist here about the bad work done, i found out that amongst other things - the fitting on mine were really bad also. There is bacteria getting under mine now because i cant clean them properly. bacteria as you know causes teeth to decay. Plus I was told you are supposed to be able to bite on an apple with veneers but let me tell you these ones wouldnt survive a sandwich! Two have come off already and theres another one thats loose.

The specialist i've gone to see deals with this type of problem on a daily basis. These poor people spending a fortune having the work re-done and all because they wanted to save a few quid by going abroad. While i was at the specialist the last time, another lady was there after being to Turkey. She kept getting infections because of bacteria getting in under the veneers due to the bad fitting. Her teeth looked great i have to say, looked well better than mine. but the fitting was just at bad, infact hers was probably worse than mine.

Im not sure that i can post the name of the place i went to in Hungary, but if you want the name just pm me. You will see that the place looks so modern and state of the art (which is probably what fooled me the most). So dont be fooled. I've learned from my mistake and if someone else can learn from it too than it will have been worth my while going over in the first place
thanks for the advice i think ive scratched hungary off the list anyway. i still havent heard any feedback from people here that have gone to germany. i have personally heard of 2 people and they couldnt recommend it highly enough, i actually know of a dentist here that recommended his brother in germany to a relation of mine the work she wanted was costing an arm and a leg this guy in germany was considerably cheaper. i think i will take the advice of a previous poster about seeing a dentist here first just to see exactly what needs doing and then resarch germany etc.
celtictiger32 is offline  
01-03-2011, 14:47   #14
Carpenter
Registered User
 
Carpenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin/Kusadasi
Posts: 2,446
Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictiger32 View Post
thanks for the advice i think ive scratched hungary off the list anyway. i still havent heard any feedback from people here that have gone to germany. i have personally heard of 2 people and they couldnt recommend it highly enough, i actually know of a dentist here that recommended his brother in germany to a relation of mine the work she wanted was costing an arm and a leg this guy in germany was considerably cheaper. i think i will take the advice of a previous poster about seeing a dentist here first just to see exactly what needs doing and then resarch germany etc.
Hi
I could recommend a top class place but would bet it will be removed very quick .
Carpenter is offline  
01-03-2011, 15:10   #15
celtictiger32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Hi
I could recommend a top class place but would bet it will be removed very quick .
pm me??
celtictiger32 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet