Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Pot wrote:
    Its just better that way
    you can't argue with the truth! :D

i actually do my butter/franks boiling in a wok to make it easier to toss in the chicken pieces to get them properly coated.

it's not like you're boiling it for an hour, just 3-5 minutes in with the melted butter to take the vinegar edge off and clump the butter & franks together a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kimia wrote: »
    Also - what are the reasons for boiling the Franks/butter? Does it get rid of some of the sharpness? I normally don't do it - just heat it up.
    Yeah, I think it gets rid of some of the vinegar, though acetic acid has a higher boiling point than water, I still think it goes off as the fat itself is hotter.

There is a chinese buffet in bloomfields shopping centre, they did wings and I reckon it is franks they used. It is all you can eat for €10 so needless to say I had a disgraceful amount. Good ribs too. All the rest is not so good though, noodles were OK, but thats just filler food ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Today is my Wing Day. First, I got myself hooked up with plenty of Frank's this morning:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6418

That should keep me going for a while! :D

And tonight I'm going to TriBeCa. :) I'll have a pic of their wings up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Be the hokey! Thats a lot of Franks!

Be the hokey! Thats a lot of Franks!

:D Not all for me, though.
    And tonight I'm going to TriBeCa.

Here they are:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6429

Next up is The Harbourmaster, which have good ones too from what I've read here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Link is down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Pot wrote:
    Link is down

Haha who'd have guessed it. The "ultimate" recipe is a mix of franks and butter!! :p

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Haha who'd have guessed it. The "ultimate" recipe is a mix of franks and butter!! :p
    ssshhhhh! it's a secret! ;)
    Pot wrote:
    Link is down
    he means THIS one.

i reckon he must have shares in either franks for ghee though, because he's been pimping it in every franks and wings thread on boards.ie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm Franked :D:D:D

Made 3 kilos of wings today and everybody loved them, they were gone in no time. I made them slightly less hot than original - I wasn't bothering with dips (blue cheese or otherwise) to cool them down with. Here's what I did (big thanks to vibe666 as I used several of your tips)

Wash wings, dry them, discard tips and split in half. Roll them in batter of one cup of plain flour and 3 large tablespoons of corn flour and 2 large tablespoons of paprika powder and salt and pepper. Leave in fridge for 2 hours. Deep fry them in small batches at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes (I tried 12 minutes too, but 15 is better). In a wok I simmered 110g of Franks Red Hot Sauce and 70g of clairified butter (ghee - I bought in the Asian wholesale shop) for about 5 minutes stirring regularly. This is good for a batch of 24 wings. Stir them through the sauce in the wok for a minute or two and serve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Elephant & Castle wings have seriously gone down hill over the last year or so. They were never the hottest for me but they still ruled. Now the portions are smaller and they skimp on the sauce. I remember a couple of years ago I asked the waiter how to make them and he was disgusted with me for even asking, but now thanks to the widespread availability of Franks there's loads of places doing them and in some cases better. My favourite would be the Woodshed on Parnell St. They do vary depending on the chef but usually gorgeous. My only drawback would be that they can be dry sometimes. I'm sure you could ask for extra sauce but I never think of it till it's too late. Huge portions too and only about 9 euro. Frankies in Temple bar also do good wings just not very hot again. The hard rock cafe are really nice just very small portions and a rip off. I must take a trip up to TriBeCa some evening as they look really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Excuse a probably stupid question, but is it possible to deep fry the wings if I don't have a deep fat fryer?

Or would I just have to cook them in the oven? and if so how long and what temperature would people recommend?

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Excuse a probably stupid question, but is it possible to deep fry the wings if I don't have a deep fat fryer?

The answer is yes :)

Deep fat frying is a process, not an appliance. If you put enough oil in a pan and bring the oil to the boil you can deep fat fry your wings - as long as the wings are fully submerged in the oil.

Be careful though, several people die in this country every year who would not have died using a deep fat fryer. A budget normal size 2l deep fat fryer costs only about €20. I bought a deep fat fryer just to attempt these E&C wings and it was worth it :D

as unkel says, yes it's possible, but it's not entirely safe.

i use a wok sometimes if i'm doing large batches of wings or fried chicken for a party, but I wouldn't recommend using any kind of pan on a hob if you can avoid it as it really isn't safe and for the sake of 20 quid, your life is worth investing in a fryer and there's plenty of stuff you can cook in it aside from wings like chips, prawn crackers, hash browns, sausages and many more. :)

also NEVER use a pan+oil on a gas hob, you are basically playing russian roulette. whatever about an electric hob being unsafe, a gas hob and hot oil is 10 times as bad and should never ever be used to heat oil. remember, you can (theoretically) heat decent oil to several times the temperature of water before it boils and not even realise it, but anything you put in it with water content (chips, chicken or whatever) will instantly have the water boiled out of it into the hot oil and oil & water are not good friends as i'm sure you know.

i know i'm going on about it, but don't underestimate how dangerous it can be. just buy a fryer. the cheapest fryer in the world is going to be many times safer than a pot of hot oil. :)

well, it's official (sort of) "Franks Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce" is the best hot sauce (overall) in the world. :D

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/video-how-to/how-to-cook/supermarket-101-grocery-store-tips/taste-test-the-best-hot-sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Got franks hot sauce original in super-valu mullingar today!
    Made the sauce for the first time and worked out pretty good heres the recipe I used-
    for about 1.5 kilos of wings:
    -half a cup of franks sauce
    -half a cup of melted butter
    -a knob of philidelphia
    -a 15ml tablespoon of white vinegar
    mixed it all together, oven cooked the wings(with oil brushed on them)
    when wings were cooked I put them in the pot with the sauce,covered with a plate and shook! Took em out and were perfect. Might try frying them next but its a great place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Made the sauce for the first time and worked out pretty good heres the recipe I used-
    -a knob of philidelphia
    when wings were cooked I put them in the pot with the sauce,covered with a plate and shook! Took em out and were perfect. Might try frying them next but its a great place to start.

I hope you enjoyed them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

This guy is prob the best around, You'll love all his recipes . You can thank me later . You can do the second recipe too

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/04/original-buffalo-chicken-wing-sauce.html

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2008/05/clifton-springs-chicken-wings-oven.html

Guinness69 wrote: »
    This guy is prob the best around, You'll love all his recipes . You can thank me later . You can do the second recipe too

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/04/original-buffalo-chicken-wing-sauce.html

Yuck!

I can tell you now that those wings will be very acidic. Not only does he add more vinegar to the already vinegary Franks sauce, but he doesn't boil any of it off :rolleyes:

That guy should have a look over here for some tips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

I thought the same but try it , the E&C wings are a bit acidic but it's not as bad as you might think

• Advertisement

Guinness69 wrote: »
    I thought the same but try it , the E&C wings are a bit acidic but it's not as bad as you might think
    one of the few complaints we get on here about people making wings using franks hot sauce is that it's too acidic.

too acidic + vinegar = more acidic = bad

We had lunch in the Harbourmaster today. No celery and the dip is garlic mayonnaise with blue cheese, but the wings are not too bad at all and I'd definitely order them again:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7092

The best place I've had wings out in still in TriBeCa - sorry if I sound like a broken record - but even better are the ones you make at home using the suggestions in this thread! :D

looks like they didn't bother to get all the feathers off the wings there. :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like they didn't bother to get all the feathers off the wings there. :(

The funny thing is that I didn't notice that at all at the time! I only saw that when I was uploading the photo. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Had chicken wings in the Elephant and Castle yesterday. Just for old times' sake. Won't go back again. Reheated, slightly tired looking small chicken wings - I found a cold one among them... some of them with feathers ... and my husband told me now we know the trick how to make them, we should not bother going there again. The magic is gone... Ceasar salad was nice, though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    -a knob of philidelphia

Googled this earlier, thanks for all the suggestions!! Got 1.5kg of drumsticks, went franks sauce shopping and then combined some of the stuff from here...

covered the drumsticks in oil then rolled them in flour, salt, pepper, herbs, jamaican jerk and put them on an oven tray, 30 mins one side, then 20 on the other, they were perfect, skin was crispy and chicken cooked lovely, after i turned them half way i started on the sauce, put butter and herb philadelphia light in a pan, melted slowly, then added loads of frank's sauce, it got nice and lumpy, then threw it into a lunch box and chucked it around and served with blue cheese dip and celery, sensational!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Dillingers in Ranelagh had them on their specials on Friday night.
    I have had them everywhere and I make a decent stab at my own but I can say with my hand on my heart Dillingers are the best. I asked was it Franks and was told that is was the chefs own sauce!!!! If this is the case he should get bottling.

The funny thing is that I didn't notice that at all at the time! I only saw that when I was uploading the photo. :pac:
    sounds like you just horsed them into you then.

best count your fingers and make sure they're still all there just in case! :pac:

i had them in the thirsty bull (tyrellstown) on friday night and they were pretty good. i'd had them there before and they weren't great, but i think they might have a new chef there now as they were much better. they also do the (apparently) spiciest wings in dublin according to 98fm and their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Noctua

Wildly over excited to have found this thread! Now all I have to do is find some Franks. Does anyone know where to buy the large sized container?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think E&C hasn't moved with the times, no deals, no early bird, a whopping €4 for a glass of orange juice... That's celtic tiger stuff, I won't be dropping in again. And, the chicken wings are not as epic as they used to be.

Advertisement