Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

2ndtimer wrote: »
    Exemption and Limitation clause the practical consequences of difference.

Hi all,

Confusion slightly over consequences of each. Limitation clauses are to limit liability, exemption clauses are to exempt from a duty or responsibility, atleast thats my limited understanding Courts use strict line in determining incorporation and to the interpretation of fact and at law.

Anyone aware of the practical consequences? Im slightly at a loss

Thanks

You're a bit off there. The real difference is between limitation clauses (that limit) and exclusion clauses (that exclude entirely). Courts adopt a somewhat staggered approach to how strictly they apply the Canadian Steamship principles. You need to do a bit of looking at the Ailsa Craig Fishing v Malvern case (google it) and the cases that come after.

Practical consequence is that when one wants an ambiguous clause to cover negligence, the approach taken for exclusion clauses won't be taken, as is what happened in Ailsa Craig Fishing v Malvern.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Well done to all who have stayed the course so far. I did terribly on company, which was a nice paper, but I couldn't recall much case law, so I walked! Very disappointed as I had worked hard all summer, and I like company law. Plus as I had studied only for three subjects for my 1st ever sitting, that put paid to the other two. :mad: So it is resits for me. That is the danger with dropping a subject:eek: Anyway, I was just wondering vote4pedro about that reference you made to "passing in three sittings". Is that a rule made by your firm, as I don't recall seeing anything about that in the law society regs. :confused:

Good luck in contract 2moro to all who are doing it. That has to be the worst exam, what with all the multiple issue questions!!!

Btw, thanks to Brian Foley for the skeleton note example, that was really useful, plus all your answers. I had way too much information in my exam notes and left it too late to learn all by rote. Foolsih mistake:(

vote4pedro wrote: »
    As far as I know it's bell curved, without it there'll be a huge drop off in pass rate I'd guess! I had to do the s.117 essay, which went terribly, then for my fifth I had to do a pitiful bullet point attempt at the RTA 2004 despite knowing nothing about. Absolute disaster, don't think I'll have gotten above 30%. Oh well, six months to just go over the same stuff to make sure the bastard doesn't screw me again!

I didn't even sit EU! I fell way, way too far behind and decided to put all my efforts in to Equity and Company, both of which I'm pretty sure I passed, and apparently the EU paper was tough so I wouldn't have fluked a pass in it anyway. So yeah two left next April, if I don't pass them then I lose my Training Contract (I presume they're strict re that you have to pass in 3 sittings thing). Eep. Going to quit work/going out from January onwards and just kill myself to make sure I get them next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

colonel1 wrote: »
    Anyway, I was just wondering vote4pedro about that reference you made to "passing in three sittings". Is that a rule made by your firm, as I don't recall seeing anything about that in the law society regs. :confused:

Yeah it's just what I was told by the big 5 firm who I have an offer with. They offer you the job providing you pass your fe1s, and you have to do it in 3 sittings. I'm not sure if they're still as strict now they're happy to put trainees off until 2022 i they could, though they probably are as they'd prob be happy to lose a few due to being oversubscribed to trainee schemes. The pressure will be on in March!

Whew, thanks for that vote4pedro:D One less worry;) Congrats on getting a training contract btw.:)

Yeah it's just what I was told by the big 5 firm who I have an offer with. They offer you the job providing you pass your fe1s, and you have to do it in 3 sittings. I'm not sure if they're still as strict now they're happy to put trainees off until 2022 i they could, though they probably are as they'd prob be happy to lose a few due to being oversubscribed to trainee schemes. The pressure will be on in March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

Thanks I was way off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

You're a bit off there. The real difference is between limitation clauses (that limit) and exclusion clauses (that exclude entirely). Courts adopt a somewhat staggered approach to how strictly they apply the Canadian Steamship principles. You need to do a bit of looking at the Ailsa Craig Fishing v Malvern case (google it) and the cases that come after.

Practical consequence is that when one wants an ambiguous clause to cover negligence, the approach taken for exclusion clauses won't be taken, as is what happened in Ailsa Craig Fishing v Malvern.

Thanks I was way off!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

sarcastra wrote: »
    I wonder was part of the reason why the Property paper was so tough to ensure that unless you really know what you're talking about you should have to resit the exam when the Land Law and Conveyancing Reform Act comes into effect. It's the last FE1 paper without it in operation I suppose so there's essential elements missing from study that would be relevant in practice.

i see exactly where your coming from but thats still not a good enogh reason to try and intentionally get people to fail, you shouldnt bee victimised for doing the exams at a certain time in history, the examiner would have to be psychic to know how the courts interpret many sections of the new act, a wide ranging statute can take years to nestle into the legal system.

all in all a very difficult paper, putting AP and co ownership in one question was very unfair, the two items are totally unrelated and very large areas to study, especially knowing every section affecting the area verbatim. teh only reasonable area of the exam i thought was on succession, short questions were even more discreet than usual, i mean realistically who studied treasure trove ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarcastra

32minutes wrote: »
    i see exactly where your coming from but thats still not a good enogh reason to try and intentionally get people to fail, you shouldnt bee victimised for doing the exams at a certain time in history, the examiner would have to be psychic to know how the courts interpret many sections of the new act, a wide ranging statute can take years to nestle into the legal system.

all in all a very difficult paper, putting AP and co ownership in one question was very unfair, the two items are totally unrelated and very large areas to study, especially knowing every section affecting the area verbatim. teh only reasonable area of the exam i thought was on succession, short questions were even more discreet than usual, i mean realistically who studied treasure trove ?!

Aye, you're right about it taking time for the statute to be interpreted. I was just wondering out loud why the examiner changed the format so substantially out of no where. I actually thought that it was a different examiner initially!

Ha, treasure trove indeed. I didn't even study Landlord and Tenant for God's sake. Hee hee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

The pressure will be on in March!
    Thats exactly why i sat the first four during my postgrad last spring. What firm are you with? PM me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

32minutes wrote: »

so pissed off with the exam, hardest one i have ever done was an absolute bitch, cant see myself getting past 30%,gutted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Chinner

Was that exam today some sort of joke?

We should bombard the Law Society with complaints. Can't believe it, this was the only exam I had left, going to have to repeat it for a second time now. And I thought I was prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 very worried

Just wondering whether many people have heard this before about the law firms? Am with one of the big 5 and this was my third sitting... I might well be in trouble if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Just wondering whether many people have heard this before about the law firms? Am with one of the big 5 and this was my third sitting... I might well be in trouble if so...

Does it say so on your contract or have they represented this to you in any way?

Jev/N wrote: »
    Does it say so on your contract or have they represented this to you in any way?
    My letter of offer says that the offer is subject to my passing of the FE1s before the start date.

Dante09 wrote: »
    My letter of offer says that the offer is subject to my passing of the FE1s before the start date.

That's what I was thinking, I would assume the sittings between the contract and the start date for the poster above totalled 3 and they just had to be completed by that date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 glee123

I was particularly gutted by today's property paper. I would consider myself to be a good student who has made many sacrifices this summer to get the 4 FE1's... and I really don't think it was a fair paper. I went through property exam booklet from griffith last week and could have done every paper in it - sometimes jst but still. Today was the first exam in my life where it just felt hopeless. And I had done soo much work. Why were AP and Co-ownership so specific and where did he pull the 2/4's. settled land, reg/unreg, family property, judgment mortgages.... where was all of that??

It seemed like a deliberate attempt to throw people off. The examiner's shouldn't be trying to "beat you" they should be giving those who have done the work the opportunity to show it.

I have not met anyone who felt differently about today's paper. It's a tough course anyway and I'm dreading the resit already :(

Did get a good laugh though thinking about how awful correcting all those papers is going to be!!!! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Will be interesting to read his examiner report this time round, hopefully he spends some time explaining what the hell was up with that paper instead of making terrible jokes (it was property that the examiner moaned about people misspelling tenants like the beer "and a poor one at that" or something along those lines?)

If I'm also not mistaken, in one previous exam question he clearly phrased the question "analyse the relevance of x in Irish property law" and then noted in the exam report how thrilled he was to see comparative law in the answers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I was told to pass within 3 sittings too. Otherwise "it's time to reconsider whether law is suitable for you or not" as the person put it to me.

Condolences to those who disliked the property exam. I remember my land law exam in college :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarcastra

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck in contract tomorrow. Property was my last exam so am free - but soon you will be too. Within a day or so I usually forget that I ever sat an exam at all. Block out the torture. Hope contract goes well anways. :)

Dan133269 wrote: »
    If I'm also not mistaken, in one previous exam question he clearly phrased the question "analyse the relevance of x in Irish property law" and then noted in the exam report how thrilled he was to see comparative law in the answers :rolleyes:

Something similar in relation to Equity before...she explained in a report how it would have been nice if students had given a comparative analysis in their answer, even though it was a problem question! And for that matter, it wasn't an issue where the law was in flux and necessary to note the approach of other jurisdictions!

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but has the person who told you to consider whether law is for you or not ever sat a law society exam? Apparently these nightmare exams are of relatively recent vintage! In any case, exam performance is no indication of whether a person will make a good or bad lawyer imo:( These exams are simply a rite of passage, albeit a very tough one.

What do people make of the sit three and sign your name on the fourth paper strategy for the 1st sitting? It can be risky if you have a bad paper.:(

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I was told to pass within 3 sittings too. Otherwise "it's time to reconsider whether law is suitable for you or not" as the person put it to me.

Condolences to those who disliked the property exam. I remember my land law exam in college :(

What do people make of the sit three and sign your name on the fourth paper strategy for the 1st sitting? It can be risky if you have a bad paper.:(

Personally I think its daft that in this day and age anyone would throw away 110euro on writing their number on the exam book without a reasonable justification for why they havent bothered preparing for the fourth exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

What do people make of the sit three and sign your name on the fourth paper strategy for the 1st sitting? It can be risky if you have a bad paper.
    It was something I had to do at my first sitting for various reasons and going in to the last exam which I hadn't prepared for felt sooooo horrible........would never want to do it again. I understand Dante09's point about the wastage of 110 euro but, at the time for me if I had not choose to focus on 3 than i would have lost 440 euro!

I work full time Dante09, so it wasn't a question of not bothering to study for the fourth paper. However, it was a strategy which went badly wrong for me on this occasion.:eek:

Dante09 wrote: »
    Personally I think its daft that in this day and age anyone would throw away 110euro on writing their number on the exam book without a reasonable justification for why they havent bothered preparing for the fourth exam.

Hi legal eagle1, which subject did you leave out? I left out equity last time, though perhaps it might be best to leave out contract [the other subjects are company and criminal], as it is pretty tough imo:confused: I can understand why you left one subject out. It takes quite an age to get through the manuals etc.
    It was something I had to do at my first sitting for various reasons and going in to the last exam which I hadn't prepared for felt sooooo horrible........would never want to do it again. I understand Dante09's point about the wastage of 110 euro but, at the time for me if I had not choose to focus on 3 than i would have lost 440 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

I left out Company law which in hindsight was a mistake because it was a relatively easy exam. The reason i left it out was that the manual on it was huge and i seemed to be getting no where with the study on it. Listen on your first sitting your required to pass 3 out of 4, at the time in my view passing only 3 was better than failing all 4!!

Yes, I agree with you on that point legal eagle. The company paper was quite nice this time round, and with the benefit of hindsight one could have focused on directors, borrowing, capital maintenance and share transfer, and done quite well. Alas attempted to cover all, with result of recalling little:( Instead of wasting time covering stuff like separate legal personality, s25 contracts, alteration of articles and liquidation which didn't come up. Any tips for learning stuff off by heart, my pet hate! I was thinking of using mind/concept maps this time round. Still congrats on getting the other three, including the dreaded contract I prsume:D Ironically, I used to love contract in college:o

quote=legal eagle 1;62463185]I left out Company law which in hindsight was a mistake because it was a relatively easy exam. The reason i left it out was that the manual on it was huge and i seemed to be getting no where with the study on it. Listen on your first sitting your required to pass 3 out of 4, at the time in my view passing only 3 was better than failing all 4!![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Any tips for learning stuff off by heart, my pet hate! I was thinking of using mind/concept maps this time round.

Quite honestly i wouldn't have got mine without using this method. In fact i have no idea how people can learn off 200 cases per subject and be able to use them in the correct questions thereafter.

Yer man in Indp/griffith that does the memory seminar has a nice method of doing it. Even two years later, not that anyone ever needs to really, but i can still rattle off a few cases whenever i visit the places i "mapped". Think brian Foley had a skeleton done earlier which is great too but if you coan incorporate them both you'll find you never "blank" when you get into an exam. If you're struggling to remember something you just go to that area in your head and work through the different locations/rooms etc.

I was working while doing mine so being able to run over cases while having 5 minutes at the photocopier or on the walk back from lunch helps you revise even without the books. Can't big-up this type of revision enough.

Thanks shaneybaby:) Yes, I recall that fellow from Independent. Spoke a lot about coming 1st in tax exams. I didn't really like the idea of the journey method, but the mind map sounds useful. I tended to draw a case law "wheel". Just need to start learning the stuff much much earlier this time, as I have the base notes:o

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Quite honestly i wouldn't have got mine without using this method. In fact i have no idea how people can learn off 200 cases per subject and be able to use them in the correct questions thereafter.

Yer man in Indp/griffith that does the memory seminar has a nice method of doing it. Even two years later, not that anyone ever needs to really, but i can still rattle off a few cases whenever i visit the places i "mapped". Think brian Foley had a skeleton done earlier which is great too but if you coan incorporate them both you'll find you never "blank" when you get into an exam. If you're struggling to remember something you just go to that area in your head and work through the different locations/rooms etc.

I was working while doing mine so being able to run over cases while having 5 minutes at the photocopier or on the walk back from lunch helps you revise even without the books. Can't big-up this type of revision enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Yer man in Indp/griffith that does the memory seminar has a nice method of doing it. Even two years later, not that anyone ever needs to really, but i can still rattle off a few cases whenever i visit the places i "mapped". .

Are there any online links to this technique? The seminar isn't available at Griffith Cork and it's not on moodle.
    Thanks shaneybaby:) Yes, I recall that fellow from Independent. Spoke a lot about coming 1st in tax exams. I didn't really like the idea of the journey method, but the mind map sounds useful. I tended to draw a case law "wheel". Just need to start learning the stuff much much earlier this time, as I have the base notes:o

What's a case law wheel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement