Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

OK, for the record, I don't believe in ghosts ... well at least I don't think I do ... but here's my story, you can interpret it as you wish!

This happened me about two years ago. I was living in a rented house.

One night I was in bed, and I woke up about two in the morning. I can't remember if I was dreaming before I woke, but I woke up and there was a boy (aged about four or five) standing in the room. The room was dark, with no windows (major fire safety hazard, I know), but I could see the boy clearly ... he wasn't glowing as such, but I could still see him. He was blond, wearing dark shorts and a white shirt. He looked very ... solemn, I suppose.

Well, he sat down on the single bed beside me, looking at me. I could feel his weight coming down onto the bed, and I grabbed my phone (which was under my pillow) and dived down under the covers. My heart was going so so fast, I was terrified, I wanted to scream but no one else was in the house. I was thinking totally logically through all of this, by the way, it certainly didn't feel like a dream. After a few minutes I felt the weight lifting off my bed where he'd been sitting, and I phoned my boyfriend. I was absolutely bawling crying, he couldn't come in to me from his house because he'd been drinking and couldn't drive, but he eventually convinced me to get out from under the covers and turn on the light. There was no one there. I stayed up reading for the rest of the night. I actually stayed in the house a couple more weeks after that, and nothing else odd happened.

Anyways, I started a new job in that town shortly after all this happened. One day on lunch break, we were discussing paranormal experiences in general. This episode had really stuck in my mind, so I told my colleagues about it. Long story short, there was a man working there who was in his forties, and had grown up just down the road from the house. When he was four, his twin brother died after being knocked down by a truck. The truck driver lived in the house I'd been staying in, and the boy had been knocked down right outside that house. The man brought in a photo of himself and his brother, and they both looked just like the boy I saw.

I'm not one to read a lot into these things. I'd be much happier to think it was just some sort of coincidence. But I can't think of a logical explanation for what happened that night!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on this ...? In particular, isn't it unusual that the boy (assuming it was a "ghost") would appear in the truck driver's house rather than his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Chatterpillar,how can you not believe in ghosts after this experience?!

Maybe the boy appeared in your house because he had died outside it,
    or because his brother had lived in it before and the spirit was confused.

Or maybe(now this probably sounds far fetched)
    If you had spoke about your new job coming up in that house,and the spirit knew his brother worked there,maybe he was trying to pass a message through you to his brother?
    As maybe it is the only house the boy could appear in,as it is the location he died ?

Not sure about any of these theories,as I don't know an awful lot about ghost sightings,but these may be possible reasons.

I completely understand you being terrified though.
    When my father died,everytime I was trying to fall asleep,I would feel like his presence was in the room.
    I would hide under my duvet crying like a child,and begging in my head "please dad don't appear to me" over and over.
    After a while I would feel like the presence had left,and only then would I feel brave enough to come out from under the cover,and run to turn on the light.
    Now this "presence" might have all being my imagination,but it seemed very real at the time and absolutely terrified me.
    I used to be convinced that if I pulled back the cover,that my dad would be standing there as a ghost.
    Caused me severe insomnia.

The strange thing is,that I think if I had even 1 other person with me,that I wouldn't be frightened at all if a ghost appeared and might even try to have a conversation with them if possible.

But when I'm on my own,I don't want to see any ghosts or objects moving.
    I would love if I could a message from my dad in some other way,like a symbol or dream etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

Maybe the boy appeared in your house because he had died outside it,
    or because his brother had lived in it before and the spirit was confused.

If you had spoke about your new job coming up in that house,and the spirit knew his brother worked there,maybe he was trying to pass a message through you to his brother?
    As maybe it is the only house the boy could appear in,as it is the location he died ?

Not sure about any of these theories,as I don't know an awful lot about ghost sightings,but these may be possible reasons.

I completely understand you being terrified though.
    When my father died,everytime I was trying to fall asleep,I would feel like his presence was in the room.
    I would hide under my duvet crying like a child,and begging in my head "please dad don't appear to me" over and over.
    After a while I would feel like the presence had left,and only then would I feel brave enough to come out from under the cover,and run to turn on the light.
    Now this "presence" might have all being my imagination,but it seemed very real at the time and absolutely terrified me.
    I used to be convinced that if I pulled back the cover,that my dad would be standing there as a ghost.
    Caused me severe insomnia.

The strange thing is,that I think if I had even 1 other person with me,that I wouldn't be frightened at all if a ghost appeared and might even try to have a conversation with them if possible.

But when I'm on my own,I don't want to see any ghosts or objects moving.
    I would love if I could a message from my dad in some other way,like a symbol or dream etc.

if its your dad why would you be afraid?

stepdoyle wrote: »
    if its your dad why would you be afraid?

I don't know. Just even the thought of him as a ghostly figure and not flesh and blood terrifies me.
    Visible ghosts of anybody/any animal would scare me when I'm completely alone.
    I think I'd be ok if someone was with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

if its your dad hes still your dad, next time it happens relax and speak to him. how could someone who cares for you be terrifying? he can do you no harm. its the living you have to be scared of! :)

• Advertisement

My mum always says that it's the living you need to be afraid of too. :-)
    (She says doesn't believe in ghosts, but I do)

I can see your point,I should have no reason to be afraid,But I couldn't help it.
    To be honest,I haven't experienced anything in a few years now,so don't think his presence will return to me(if I wasn't imagining it)
    which is kind of sad.
    I think it might be because he doesn't want to frighten me.

Thanks for your reply though,
    it makes more sense than my fears. :-)

Well, I don't know! I'm a very logical practical person in general, and to be honest I think that a lot of stories you hear about the paranormal are probably either made up or exaggerated. What happened that night, well I can't make any logical sense of it. I never experienced anything like it before and I never want to again. And if something similar happened to someone I knew, I'd probably assume it was just a dream.

I suppose, I'd like to not believe in ghosts. If that really was a ghost that I saw ... well, it scares me to think that it could happen again, anywhere at any time. Even though, looking back, it's not like the boy seemed to be trying to scare me or anything. The way I reacted was my own fault, it would be interesting to know what would happen if I hadn't freaked out.

So I suppose I don't exactly not believe in ghosts. :o But I'd still be quite skeptical of any stories I hear. There are some very freaky experiences in this thread though!!!

Well, I don't know! I'm a very logical practical person in general, and to be honest I think that a lot of stories you hear about the paranormal are probably either made up or exaggerated. What happened that night, well I can't make any logical sense of it. I never experienced anything like it before and I never want to again. And if something similar happened to someone I knew, I'd probably assume it was just a dream.

I suppose, I'd like to not believe in ghosts. If that really was a ghost that I saw ... well, it scares me to think that it could happen again, anywhere at any time. Even though, looking back, it's not like the boy seemed to be trying to scare me or anything. The way I reacted was my own fault, it would be interesting to know what would happen if I hadn't freaked out.

So I suppose I don't exactly not believe in ghosts. :o But I'd still be quite skeptical of any stories I hear. There are some very freaky experiences in this thread though!!!

I get what you mean. When I was younger I never believed any ghost stories that I heard of my friends,as I think some teenagers will make things up.
    However as an adult,I have heard a few things from very sceptical friends, of things that happened which they couldn't explain.
    One of these girl's studied psychology,and one is my sister who is the most logical person you could meet.
    I reckon about 70% of paranormal experiences are real,as don't know what millions of people would gain from lying.
    Most people don't like to admit to believing in ghosts,as they may think it makes them look daft.
    My mum is one of these people.
    She told me of an actual sighting she had when she was about 13,but explains it away by saying, "sure I must have been away with the birds and seeing things!)

Agree with you about the freaky stories in this thread,
    some of these stories give me goosebumps,including your one.
    I would have freaked out just like you. :)

You know, the more I think about that theory, the more it makes sense - I didn't really think of it that way before, I always just thought it was a random coincidence I ended up working with the brother.

When I saw the boy, it would have been a couple of weeks before I started the new job, and I was still applying to loads of places - I'd no idea I'd end up working there. But who knows how these things work, I suppose he might have known what would happen. It was several months after I started there that we had the conversation about ghost stories and I found out about the man's brother.

If he was hoping to give me some message, then I feel kind of bad that I didn't let him! :( The man was diagnosed with cancer shortly after all this. Last I heard he was recovering though.

You know, the more I think about that theory, the more it makes sense - I didn't really think of it that way before, I always just thought it was a random coincidence I ended up working with the brother.

When I saw the boy, it would have been a couple of weeks before I started the new job, and I was still applying to loads of places - I'd no idea I'd end up working there. But who knows how these things work, I suppose he might have known what would happen. It was several months after I started there that we had the conversation about ghost stories and I found out about the man's brother.

If he was hoping to give me some message, then I feel kind of bad that I didn't let him! :( The man was diagnosed with cancer shortly after all this. Last I heard he was recovering though.

Don't feel bad,I think most people would have reacted in the same way.
    You had no way to know you'd be working with his brother.
    I don't know if people will ever have a full explanation for why these things happen.
    Hopefully his brother will get very well again,so don't feel bad about anything. :-)

Ghosts are one of the main mysteries in this world,that I've always wanted to get to the bottom of.
    If anybody ever finds out the meaning of it all,please PM me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Wow! Excellent thread guys. I read most of it during the night. Had to root out my little bros nightlight as I was sh*tting bricks here in the dark.:o

PaulieD wrote: »
    Wow! Excellent thread guys. I read most of it during the night. Had to root out my little bros nightlight as I was sh*tting bricks here in the dark.:o

I can't read this thread in the dark either.
    In the sitting room with both sets of lights on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

when I was a kid, my uncle died very suddenly. For two weeks or so after the funeral, every time his son (my cousin) went to go to bed, my uncle would be sitting on the edge of the bed with his arms outstretched. My cousin would run to hug him but my uncle wouldnt be there.

I'd say that was my cousin feeling stressed due to the death, but i just remembered it there now reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

tought id add one of my own stories about 10 years ago i worked security in clancy barracks in dublin. the army had sold this place to the government and a private security firm was used which i worked for. now the place was kinda freaky but the medical building was the most lively .i was used as a homeless shelter for drug addicts but they would allways leave at 8 in the morning. office staff would be left there during the day .things were so bad that they got a walkie talkie off us .they were convinced that someone was in the building. now we checked it top to bottom and no one was there but they insisted someone was there so we had to have someone there all day with them now lots of lads told me of strange stuff that happened im not gonna go into that .my experiences there were doors closing and opening, radios volume going up (radio was one with big knob to turn up volume we would set it at quater and it would go up to full all the time)then there was the feeling of being watched all the time.so one day me and a colleague decided to call out to whatever was there, not much happened untill we moved about 10 foot then 4 doors closed at once.we checked it out nobody in any of the rooms,and no breeze .did some research later seems this was occupied by the english (god knows what went on in there ).
    ps.this is not made up or exaggerated its true
    another strange thing about the barracks was the way sometimes when patrolling it some areas would make you feel sad as you walk through and others you would nearly burst out laughing.this wasn't my first experience with this kinda thing so i was frieked but only slightly (well mabey a bit more than slightly)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

OK, for the record, I don't believe in ghosts ... well at least I don't think I do ... but here's my story, you can interpret it as you wish!

This happened me about two years ago. I was living in a rented house.

One night I was in bed, and I woke up about two in the morning. I can't remember if I was dreaming before I woke, but I woke up and there was a boy (aged about four or five) standing in the room. The room was dark, with no windows (major fire safety hazard, I know), but I could see the boy clearly ... he wasn't glowing as such, but I could still see him. He was blond, wearing dark shorts and a white shirt. He looked very ... solemn, I suppose.

Well, he sat down on the single bed beside me, looking at me. I could feel his weight coming down onto the bed, and I grabbed my phone (which was under my pillow) and dived down under the covers. My heart was going so so fast, I was terrified, I wanted to scream but no one else was in the house. I was thinking totally logically through all of this, by the way, it certainly didn't feel like a dream. After a few minutes I felt the weight lifting off my bed where he'd been sitting, and I phoned my boyfriend. I was absolutely bawling crying, he couldn't come in to me from his house because he'd been drinking and couldn't drive, but he eventually convinced me to get out from under the covers and turn on the light. There was no one there. I stayed up reading for the rest of the night. I actually stayed in the house a couple more weeks after that, and nothing else odd happened.

Anyways, I started a new job in that town shortly after all this happened. One day on lunch break, we were discussing paranormal experiences in general. This episode had really stuck in my mind, so I told my colleagues about it. Long story short, there was a man working there who was in his forties, and had grown up just down the road from the house. When he was four, his twin brother died after being knocked down by a truck. The truck driver lived in the house I'd been staying in, and the boy had been knocked down right outside that house. The man brought in a photo of himself and his brother, and they both looked just like the boy I saw.

I'm not one to read a lot into these things. I'd be much happier to think it was just some sort of coincidence. But I can't think of a logical explanation for what happened that night!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on this ...? In particular, isn't it unusual that the boy (assuming it was a "ghost") would appear in the truck driver's house rather than his own?

What a creepy story,but thanks for sharing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

paranormal wrote: »
    tought id add one of my own stories about 10 years ago i worked security in clancy barracks in dublin. the army had sold this place to the government and a private security firm was used which i worked for. now the place was kinda freaky but the medical building was the most lively .i was used as a homeless shelter for drug addicts but they would allways leave at 8 in the morning. office staff would be left there during the day .things were so bad that they got a walkie talkie off us .they were convinced that someone was in the building. now we checked it top to bottom and no one was there but they insisted someone was there so we had to have someone there all day with them now lots of lads told me of strange stuff that happened im not gonna go into that .my experiences there were doors closing and opening, radios volume going up (radio was one with big knob to turn up volume we would set it at quater and it would go up to full all the time)then there was the feeling of being watched all the time.so one day me and a colleague decided to call out to whatever was there, not much happened untill we moved about 10 foot then 4 doors closed at once.we checked it out nobody in any of the rooms,and no breeze .did some research later seems this was occupied by the english (god knows what went on in there ).
    ps.this is not made up or exaggerated its true
    another strange thing about the barracks was the way sometimes when patrolling it some areas would make you feel sad as you walk through and others you would nearly burst out laughing.this wasn't my first experience with this kinda thing so i was frieked but only slightly (well mabey a bit more than slightly)

Yep, Clancy Barracks was freaky alright! Im in the army and to be honest, I havent been in a Barracks that didnt make me feel weird sometimes.

There are plenty of stories out there, some total nonsense, some with a bit of truth, then there are the ones that you dont want to tell or hear of, because you know they are true because you have experienced them. We all get a kick out of telling each other the stories.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys that have committed suicide on duty or just died in different barracks across the country, although I have never heard of any hauntings/appearances/ from the people who died.

Gormanston Camp in Meath is bogey enough, during the day its grand, but every now and again someone sees/hears/feels something different and freaks out a bit. Most of the time its just your mind playing tricks but im sure there is a small element of truth to it. There is a lot of history to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

benwavner wrote: »
    Yep, Clancy Barracks was freaky alright! Im in the army and to be honest, I havent been in a Barracks that didnt make me feel weird sometimes.

There are plenty of stories out there, some total nonsense, some with a bit of truth, then there are the ones that you dont want to tell or hear of, because you know they are true because you have experienced them. We all get a kick out of telling each other the stories.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys that have committed suicide on duty or just died in different barracks across the country, although I have never heard of any hauntings/appearances/ from the people who died.

Gormanston Camp in Meath is bogey enough, during the day its grand, but every now and again someone sees/hears/feels something different and freaks out a bit. Most of the time its just your mind playing tricks but im sure there is a small element of truth to it. There is a lot of history to the place.

Have you ever been in Collins Barracks? It's up by The Glen in Cork, northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Maybe the child had been over at the truck driver's house a few times before he was knocked down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

love reading this thread, some excellent stories:)

anyway, here's some of my experiences

i've never actually seen a 'ghost' but often when i'm at home (not necessarily alone) i get the feeling that someone has just come into whatever room i'm in. the feeling is hard to explain, it's like when a live person enters a room, you know they're there. this is the same but without ever seeing something. it's never frightened me however so i don't think much about it when it happens.

but something more frightening happened recently. i had just came in from work at around 10pm about 2 fridays ago and had used a big knife to cut some bread to make a snack in the kitchen. when finished i placed it in the sink (not one of those dishwasher friendly ones:rolleyes: ) anyway, this knife is rather large so it wouldn't go in an up down direction in the basin but would fit lengthways. i left the kitchen anyway and ate my fill went to put my stuff out to clean up later on and the knife had been placed pointed directly where i was sitting in the other room on top of the basin:eek:
    can't explain it and it freaked me out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I had a truly terrifying experience when I was 17. I was staying overnight at my friends house, and was sleeping on the couch downstairs. Everybody else was upstairs. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling terrified and I didnt know why. There was an unbelievable air of menace in the room. I was contemplating going up to my friend in her room but was too scared to move for about 20 mins as it was pitch black. I eventually sat up on the couch, getting ready to get up. There was massive bay windows behind the couch covered in thick drape curtains. The second I sat up, there were three slow knocks on the window behind me, DIRECTLY behind where my head was. Now the house was big and in its own grounds so there'd be no passers by, and the windows were the length of a wall and you couldnt see in so how would anyone know exactly where I was sitting? There was also still the real sense of evil and of some-one watching me in the air. It was pitch black I was so so scared! I legged it up the stairs to my friends room, crying, and never stayed in that house again.

• Advertisement

Oh yes another story about the same house. My brother was friend's with my friends older brother, who lived in the same house as my last post. They had a massive garden so my brother and his friend decided they would camp one night in the garden for a laugh. The whole night they were in the tent they were plagued by some-one running around the tent lightning fast, poking the tent, and shaking the tent violently. They were too scared too go out and look. They blamed my friend's little brother in the morning but he swore blind it wasn't him. And I cant imagine a 12 year old doing that all night, he would have got bored after half an hour. My brother also never stayed another nite in that house!

I had a truly terrifying experience when I was 17. I was staying overnight at my friends house, and was sleeping on the couch downstairs. Everybody else was upstairs. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling terrified and I didnt know why. There was an unbelievable air of menace in the room. I was contemplating going up to my friend in her room but was too scared to move for about 20 mins as it was pitch black. I eventually sat up on the couch, getting ready to get up. There was massive bay windows behind the couch covered in thick drape curtains. The second I sat up, there were three slow knocks on the window behind me, DIRECTLY behind where my head was. Now the house was big and in its own grounds so there'd be no passers by, and the windows were the length of a wall and you couldnt see in so how would anyone know exactly where I was sitting? There was also still the real sense of evil and of some-one watching me in the air. It was pitch black I was so so scared! I legged it up the stairs to my friends room, crying, and never stayed in that house again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Has anyone ever felt like they were being strangled at night? I've had the sleep-paralysis experiences and the shadow-man ones.....and also the feeling that someone is pressing down on your chest (I think it's called The Old Hag Syndrome or something). Never before had I felt like someone's hands were around my throat though. It happened twice in this past month. Very disturbing.....and very real because I actually couldnt breath! :confused:

This could be a severe case of anxiety, did you ever have a panic attach (not while asleep obviously) A bad panic attack can feel a little like that,

but i also know some one who experienced the same thing except they saw a face up against their own face for about 2 seconds, and he's still not right since. If its after happening along side other things then get the house blessed or some thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 number16

Hi, This is a great read. When I found it I did no work at all for a couple of days while reading. My experiences are similar to some posters. but not most. I have never seen a ghost but have lots of experiences of precognition. Most extremely minor that could easily be explained by coincidence or being tired etc. but one of them I cannot dismiss.

But it's my fathers tale I would love to tell. He has had so many experiences and they need to be written down.
    However I would not do it without his permission, as he is a very private person. I have a science degree and would consider myself a logical person, but can personally confirm one of his many many experiences

number16 wrote: »
    Hi, This is a great read. When I found it I did no work at all for a couple of days while reading. My experiences are similar to some posters. but not most. I have never seen a ghost but have lots of experiences of precognition. Most extremely minor that could easily be explained by coincidence or being tired etc. but one of them I cannot dismiss.

But it's my fathers tale I would love to tell. He has had so many experiences and they need to be written down.
    However I would not do it without his permission, as he is a very private person. I have a science degree and would consider myself a logical person, but can personally confirm one of his many many experiences
    you can tell us we wont tell anyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Dead mans knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Having an expereince for me is hardly a new or strange occurance but I did see a relative (passed) in Dublin city the other day. Out of place for him even if he was alive but he looked so "real". Standing on the opposite side of the road as I was waiting to cross, there one minute, a bus passes and then gone. Only as the bus passed did I cop who it was.

6th wrote: »
    Having an expereince for me is hardly a new or strange occurance but I did see a relative (passed) in Dublin city the other day. Out of place for him even if he was alive but he looked so "real". Standing on the opposite side of the road as I was waiting to cross, there one minute, a bus passes and then gone. Only as the bus passed did I cop who it was.
    nice .how long did it last ,and how did you feel at the time .bit of a medium in you me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

only lasted maybe 3 seconds. I was majorly stressed but felt good after. As for the medium bit ... well I dont like labels but I've been involved in the area a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

6th wrote: »
    only lasted maybe 3 seconds. I was majorly stressed but felt good after. As for the medium bit ... well I dont like labels but I've been involved in the area a long time.

bizarre, how come your experiences seem to be out in the middle of the day in public, whereas most others are at the end of there bed?...

Advertisement