Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Man's Knock!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

I think you're missing the real issue here guys.
    An invasion of Alien "stealth doors". Sleeper cells secreted into our homes in the guise of ordinary doors, they communicate with each other by morse code.

It's only a matter of time till their orders come from above and they lock us all in our rooms, as hordes of alien invaders pour out of the mothership and overrun the planet.

You've been warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

smithcity wrote: »
    I think you're missing the real issue here guys.
    An invasion of Alien "stealth doors". Sleeper cells secreted into our homes in the guise of ordinary doors, they communicate with each other by morse code.

It's only a matter of time till their orders come from above and they lock us all in our rooms, as hordes of alien invaders pour out of the mothership and overrun the planet.

You've been warned!

You've been talking to mysterious again haven't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Hey! I went out on a limb to warn you. If you don't want to listen that's your problem but I, for one, want my family to be safe.

That's why all the doors in my house are now in a big pile, burning, in the back garden.

It's draughty but I feel much better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Its the 21st Century. Wouldn't you think its time that the spirits got with the times and used the doorbell:D.

3 rings aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Have never experienced it myself, but know of people who have, they all say 3 knocks says there will be a bereavement. Others have experienced it on the night of the funeral or removal of a deceased member of the family.

It supposedly runs in families. Kinda like the banshee etc. I've one friend who heard the knocks, and caught a blob floating outside his house on CCTV, but no death in the family (so far any way!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

But do you think it fortells a death or it's the person who has passed away, because most stories say that when the knock was heard they found out a relative had passed away.

Its supposedly foretells a death, supposedly some one who has already passed on is calling for them. So go any of the stories ive heard any way.

I'm reading a book at the moment called "Haunted" it's very good. It's an Irish guy and it's all about Ireland. There is a part in the book about the Dead man's knock, and it says that lots of old stories suggest that the person knocking at the door and then the back door is infact "death" himself, and the person that does'nt here it is the person that's going to die.

I don't believe this myself but just thought is was interesting and wanted to share it with you guys.

kinda scary is'nt it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

My brother came into the kitchen the other night and asked me what I wanted him for? I said I wasnt looking for him. Turns out, he was in bed when he heard three loud knocks on his bedroom door. Thats when he got up and came down to me thinking it was me!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've never heard the story or a version of it that involved an internal door so I wouldnt worry too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

This happened in my house, that I still live in, I'm told.

About 13 years ago, before my younger bro was born, my grandad was terminally ill with lung cancer. He was in and out of hospital all the time and because he was from Mayo he would stay with us while in Dublin.
    They knew that he only had a few more days left.
    He stayed in the room right next to mine, it's where he died.
    Everyone who was there at the time before he died, which would have been my mam/dad, uncles and aunts all said that before he died he was looking at a corner in the room where no one was standing and talking to his mother and father, both of whom were dead for nearly half a century I think. He spent a good while talking to them so I'm told.
    Right before his death, which was late at night, they heard the 3 loud knocks on the door only to find out no one was there.
    My grandad died then.
    When everyone left the room and came downstairs, they saw something very strange. My grandad, who's name was Jim, used to have an old "paddy cap". There used to be a picture on top of the tv at the time, in a frame, of my brother James wearing my grandads cap. When they came down they saw the frame on top of the tv but with the picture halfway out of it.
    No one had been downstairs at the time.

Even after typing all this I'm gettin shivers lol.

My and my other two brothers weren't in the house at the time, we were staying in my aunts house so I can't say I've experienced this first hand but I believe what I've heard.

My mam used to tell me similar things when she working in James' as a nurse. Things like getting a sweet smell on the wards, which was a lot apparently, was a sign of death.
    Also she had patients tell her that they had visitors in that day but she knew no one was in with them, and nearly always they were people who were long dead.

While typing that last part a truck just drove by my gaff with a drop valve, my windows open...I nearly jumped outta the seat lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

I've experienced something similar a few times in my parents house.

The first time i was sitting at the computer in a downstairs room beside the window looking to the back garden. I was surfing for......things i didn't want to be seen looking at when three knocks come on the window. I figured it was the aul lad out the back locking up or something so i stayed on the computer looking at other stuff and waited for him to come in and say something:o. The back door didn't open for him to come back in and a fair time had passed before i went to see what he was doing out the back for that long. When i got to the back door it was locked up and found he had been in bed the whole time.

Ok so some prowler with views on what i should be looking at on the web perhaps??????? Spooked enough wether it was living, dead or undead. Definitely wasn't a family member.

The next time was in the sitting room watching random late night tv when i dosed off and was woken by three knocks on the window. I jumped up and looked out the curtains and stayed looking for a while but i couldn't see anyone.

Totally freaked at that stage but still not beyond the realm of possibility that a prowler waited at the window for the exact moment for me to nod off to do a late night nik-nak. Again wasn't a family member.

The third time i was upstairs in bed and again had just dosed off when i woke up with the sound of three knocks on the window:eek:. Upstairs!!! i pulled the covers over my head and curlled up, needless to say, unable to sleep for a while.

Sh*tting bricks i couldn't muster the courage to look out the window to see the fore mentioned nik nakking prowler dangling from a harness or legging down the road with a ladder on his shoulder.

Was it coming from inside???? I can see that its different from the deadmans knock. It seems to be more of a playfull sort of thing than a sinister foreboding. still sh*t scary though.
    Other stuff has happened in the house of a less hollywood horror nature but still freaky none the less.

I've since got my own house and nothing of a spooky nature to report from it happily.
    Any ideas on what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

have you people near heard of nic-nacs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

faceman wrote: »
    3 knocks on the door, you answer and no one is there? We called them "nik naks" when i was a youngster! :D

Yes, have you ever heard of reading a whole thread before posting? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Yes, have you ever heard of reading a whole thread before posting? ;)

not after reading one page...that was too much for me. I was just re-enforcing what the cause is obviously...sorry i have to go there is some one knocking on my door!

not after reading one page...that was too much for me. I was just re-enforcing what the cause is obviously...sorry i have to go there is some one knocking on my door!

if one page is too much and you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, then why post???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

We call that "Belfast" around these parts.

Interesting post MadMardegan.

I've often heard about patients talking to dead loved ones before they die. it happened in our family too. I asked questions about that to a nurse who works in a hospice, and she said staff see patients at it quite a bit. Her explanation is that cancer patients are pumped with morphine, and their system can become toxic, this causes halucinations.

Having said that she has seen one or two in her day where it seemed like there was more to it. For example a patient passing on a message from a dead loved one to a visitor (except the patient doesn't seem to remember the relative is dead, and the message is too specific and relevant to what is going on in the visitors life at that moment in time)

as for the knocks, I was talking to a friend about it recently, and apparently a picture falling off the wall is supposed to mean the same thing. The old stories go that 3 knocks or a picture falling off the wall in the house foretells a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    as for the knocks, I was talking to a friend about it recently, and apparently a picture falling off the wall is supposed to mean the same thing. The old stories go that 3 knocks or a picture falling off the wall in the house foretells a death.

My mam told me that a 'child of prague' statue fell off a windowsill when her dad passed away, not a picture though.

My mam told me that a 'child of prague' statue fell off a windowsill when her dad passed away, not a picture though.

Yeh all that kinda thing....not sure if i believe it though. In fairness the holy picture that fell off our wall was over 30 years old and had a sh*tty thread holding it up. It was bound to fall some time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Yeh all that kinda thing....not sure if i believe it though. In fairness the holy picture that fell off our wall was over 30 years old and had a sh*tty thread holding it up. It was bound to fall some time!!

ya totally agree, you have to look at these things with a bit of logic

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

a picture fell off our wall the day before we got the news that a cousin had died. if a picture ever fell in my house again i would be seriously worried!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

*bump*

it happens in my family a lot. one of the most memorable was sitting in the kitchen one night about 2am talking to my older sister about this and that. then all of a sudden there were three loud heavy knocks on the backdoor beside us, we naturally jumped and opened the door to see if anyone was there - not a sign on anyone in sight. we had a doberman and an american pittbull sitting outside and the garden has security lights but the dogs didn't bark nor did the lights activate. those dogs would and have spotted burglars or trespassers before they got anywhere near the property so it wasn't anything like that. the next day we found out a friend of the family had passed around the same time we heard the knocks. its not just ireland though some of my family have heard those knocks in the uk and elsewhere only to have the phone ring a few minutes later to notify them of a passing. to be honest i like it, its a nice way of saying goodbye and is a lot less urgent than the likes of the banshee which my mom swears she heard one night and the next day there was a death in the family. we openly talk about the paranormal and spirits but if i bring that night up she goes pale and refuses to say a thing about it. i said the usual thing of it could have been animals fighting but she was convinced it was what she thought it was, her side of the family goes back very far in time and as much as i love and embrace the paranormal i don't want to hear what she heard - ever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Its supposedly foretells a death, supposedly some one who has already passed on is calling for them. So go any of the stories ive heard any way.

Yeah, but these stories usually go like this:

A relative dies.
    Someone hears a story about a knock on a door.
    The grieving (important word here) 'remembers' hearing something 'now that you mention it'.

Then when people are telling the story, they usually start with 'one night I heard a knock and then the next day...'

@Bad Panda - true but what about when it happens to you yourself and then the next day or even an hour later or less you are told about someone passing away? i was always on the fence about the knocks until i heard it for myself. if there had been a time gap between the knocks and someone passing away a few days later or a week later i'd be less inclined to believe. i'm sure quite a few can be chalked down to something more of this world but i got that door open a couple of seconds later and searched the garden with the dogs and found nothing. if someone hears the knocks and stays frozen still in bed then an hour later has a look the chances are it could be easier to explain but i reacted straight away ready to unleash some karate ..but zilch :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

My parents bought a wreck of an old house in the late 80s when I was born and refurbed it over the last twenty years. They were permanently broke, and in 1993, still had one of those twisty dialy phones where you spun the phone around.

When you picked the phone up, it made a distinctive half-ring sound. So my parents are just home from visiting my granny in hospital and are asleep in bed when my mother is woken by the 'half ring'. She knows instantly that her mother has died, and tells my dad to go ring the hospital. He walks out and picks up the phone but there's no dial tone. He puts down the phone, and two seconds later, it rings. It was the hospital to tell them my granny had just died. I know it's not a knock on the door, but it's the same vein of 'death warning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I've experienced this myself, heard loud knocks on a bedroom window in my hubbies house, then the blinds fell off the kitchen window in the middle of the night, he heard and saw it too, and went out in the yard with his dad at 2.30 or 3.30 to check what was going on. 3 weeks later, my father in law died suddenly. My Nan also experienced something weird where the lid of a kettle kept flying off and hitting the back door, the kettle was one that you boil on a stove, and the kettle was not being used, just sitting on the table, 3 times it flew, and the 4th, my grandad (being Irish), opened the backdoor and told whoever was doing it (spirit) to feck off and stop frightening them. Next day, she found out her boss had committed suicide, yep, right around the time of night the lid was flying........ I've more stories too, but as it wasn't my family who experienced these things, I won't post them publically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

My mother mentioned a few times that she'd often heard knocks on her bedroom door in the early hours.
    She'd ask my Dad if it was him but it wasn't and it always puzzled her.
    Now I'm kinda freaked out by all your stories!

dazzlemoo wrote: »
    My mother mentioned a few times that she'd often heard knocks on her bedroom door in the early hours.
    She'd ask my Dad if it was him but it wasn't and it always puzzled her.
    Now I'm kinda freaked out by all your stories!

Ah i wouldn't let that bother you too much, the chances are if she heard it and keeps hearing it then it could be something to do with the house itself and nothing spooky. death knocks usually occur within 24hrs of a persons passing so the chances are if its ongoing and no one has passed then its something quite harmless. it could all depend on the house itself too, houses have a way of settling and anything from the pipes to the weather can produce all kinds of noises especially at night. its more than likely nothing serious, it still sounds interesting though but i wouldn't let it worry you too much. i can understand being freaked out, i usually spend my nights reading about spirits and demons until my boyfriend wakes up and drags me back to bed, even studying it can freak you out sometimes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

Overblood wrote: »
    Cos it's fecking wierd. Like a barn or something. Does your door open in half so you can stick your head out to get fed?

so funny :D:D:D:D:D

actually happened my mother a few months back, a few loud knocks on her bedroom window and a man she was related to died the next day. think id die if it happend to me :eek::eek:

Advertisement