Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

To answer my own question, it appears that they are about to divert traffic (next day or so) onto the new roundabout on the N6 between doyles bridge & summerhill.
    Westbound traffic will use the eastern half of the new roundabout and eastbound will use a temporary shortcut straight over the middle of the roundabout.

:eek: That doesnt sound too comforting for the Monksland folk...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

KevR wrote: »
    Hoping to head out around Doughiska/Galway Airport area in the morning to have a proper look at what progress is being made down this end. Might even head towards Athenry if I have the time.

Thanks for taking and sharing your photos but are they not on the wrong thread? This thread is for Athlone->Ballinasloe. The thread you want is the Ballinasloe->Galway thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

90kmh speed limit is not allowed

LOL . Temporary Speed limits and "Experimental" traffic control measure are allowed any time and with no time limits on Temporary or Experimental !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

no, only 30,50,60,80,100&120km/hr limits are allowed here.

To answer my own question, it appears that they are about to divert traffic (next day or so) onto the new roundabout on the N6 between doyles bridge & summerhill.
    Westbound traffic will use the eastern half of the new roundabout and eastbound will use a temporary shortcut straight over the middle of the roundabout.

Traffic is now using the new roundabout ("Dee"about:D)
    :eek: That doesnt sound too comforting for the Monksland folk...
    There's a funny little right turn in the median westbound just before the Deeabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks for taking and sharing your photos but are they not on the wrong thread? This thread is for Athlone->Ballinasloe. The thread you want is the Ballinasloe->Galway thread.

Is there some "techie" way of combining both threads? Seems pointless having one for each stretch when they're bothdealing with the eventual M6.

churchview wrote: »
    Is there some "techie" way of combining both threads? Seems pointless having one for each stretch when they're bothdealing with the eventual M6.

If you merge the threads now, it would end up a complete jumble.
    I agree that some posts should be moved between the threads.

It would be better if they were renamed, "M6 Athlone - Ballinasloe"
    and "M6 Ballinasloe - Galway" then both could work well.

It should be remembered that these are two separate projects!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you merge the threads now, it would end up a complete jumble.
    I agree that some posts should be moved between the threads.

It should be remembered that these are two separate projects!

Fair enough, I suppose I'm just looking at it from the point of view that it's one road rather than two projects but as a "newbie" at these boards yokes, I'll defer to your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Has there been any progress on this since christmas?

I've only been through on one weekend, (in the dark bith times so) I couldn't see any major progress.

Well the bridges over the railway are in place, the roundabout west of athlone is almost complete, along with the link road & the overbridge (old N6) is complete and the road is currently being relaid.

Elsewhere it appears that the road has the base layer of tarmac for most sections except where the existing N6 is still in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The roundabout at the end of the Athlone bypass was tarmac all around with traffic still going through the centre last Sunday.

A deep (>2m) circular trench has been dug north of the existing N6 just outside BSloe, for the roundabout for the link road to the new N6, again wasn't there 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

notice in the papers up here that the suck will be closed (sounds wierd closing a river ) for a bit so they can put foundations in untill 17th of feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Well the topic can't be renamed by the OP now because I think after a few days or weeks or something you can't edit your post.

Maybe we should ask a moderator to change the thread titles so it's clearer.

It looks like the overbridge near Ballydangen will be in use before the day is out, they are in the process of marking the new road layout.

Still looking good for completion in the summer.

Just the Athlone tie-in to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It looks like the overbridge near Ballydangen will be in use before the day is out, they are in the process of marking the new road layout.

Still looking good for completion in the summer.

Just the Athlone tie-in to start now.

It opened this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

For the affected people, i.e. everyone that uses the Athlone Bypass
    here is the traffic restrictions that will be in place:-

Dublin to Galway traffic will exit at the Monksland turnoff, go straight through the Daneshill Roundabout (the new one with the temporary surface), take a new road over the railway line and come out at the Summerhill roundabout where they then turn left to get onto the Galway Road. Elan / River Village traffic will enter / exit off the Daneshill Roundabout as we do today. The current slip onto the N6 to Dublin (across from Pharmaplaz) will be closed.

Galway to Dublin traffic, will first turn right at the new roundabout at Summerhill before going onto the next new roundabout at Daneshill. At this roundabout Galway - Dublin traffic will go straight through and access will be built across the median onto the N6 and proceed as normal.

It is planned that these arrangements will be in place from 30th March to 17th July. So all traffic will now flow through the Daneshill Roundabout which will certainly result in an impact on queues at peak times. The impact however is far less than what was being proposed previously.

Like the map I placed in another thread

73696.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

The only thing I dont get it the road between the Daneshill and Summerhill roundabout isnt that wide, so how will two lanes of traffic fit on it?
    Its only designed to take one lane of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

billbond4 wrote: »
    The only thing I dont get it the road between the Daneshill and Summerhill roundabout isnt that wide, so how will two lanes of traffic fit on it?
    Its only designed to take one lane of traffic.

It's designed to take 2 lanes. One in each direction.

That shouldn't be a big issue, after all the N6 (soon to be R???) is only a single carriageway, plus there are two roundabouts close to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This scheme is looking nice and advanced. Got the Heuston - Galway train. Obviously the tie-in isnt done and there is still a lot to do, but there are several areas tarred and awaiting concrete median. One thing I noticed in the car the last time; where the current N6 crosses over on a bridge, thats one hell of a motorway gradient I thought?

This scheme is looking nice and advanced. Got the Heuston - Galway train. Obviously the tie-in isnt done and there is still a lot to do, but there are several areas tarred and awaiting concrete median. One thing I noticed in the car the last time; where the current N6 crosses over on a bridge, thats one hell of a motorway gradient I thought?

I assume you are referring to the railway underbridge at the end of the Athlone bypass!

If so, the plan is to remove the entire embankment between the bridge and the Tuam road exit and regrade the alignment down to the new road, effectivly changing an up and left turn into a down and right curve. of a similar gradient.

I assume you are referring to the railway underbridge at the end of the Athlone bypass!

If so, the plan is to remove the entire embankment between the bridge and the Tuam road exit and regrade the alignment down to the new road, effectivly chanfing an up and left turn into a down and right curve. of a similar gradient.

Any chance of a diagram? :D

Any chance of a diagram? :D
    yep! ;)

A section of the Athlone bypass before the Roscommon exit westbound was down to single lane this evening, I was going east!

The queue was at least 1km long :eek: not looking good for when the traffic is diverted via the two roundabouts in a couple of weeks or so. :(

A section of the Athlone bypass before the Roscommon exit westbound was down to single lane this evening, I was going east!

The queue was at least 1km long :eek: not looking good for when the traffic is diverted via the two roundabouts in a couple of weeks or so. :(

In the name of god, what the FUKC are they doing there? WHAT is the point of putting that to 1 lane? And also the Tuam Exit - same problem

WHAT
    THE
    FUKC
    ARE
    THEY
    SMOKING

Not happy :mad:

It appears to be bridge related work, I came through this morning but could not see any work being done on the road surface.

WHAT
    THE
    FUKC
    ARE
    THEY
    SMOKING
    Don't know, but can I have some as well. ;)

Honestly, you would think they would forewarn about this. The AA said that this is due to"Emergency works".

Bull

Why was no work done on it all weekend if this was such an emergency. So many things have been wrong with this project sofar

-> Sending Tuam-Bound People to the already clogged Roscommon Exit and the god-awful right turn at O Mearas Gge for a month when Daneshill RAB built
    -> Uneven sufface on the new RAB when it was finally built
    -> 1-lane Tuam Exit. Why guys, for the love of god why? Are you afraid the trip from D-G will be faster in the car than by train? Do you have vested interests in Iarnroid Eireann?
    -> Proposing to send peple up the Roscommon Road again in BOTH directions when the Elan RAB being built
    -> And of course the closing of the lane from Coosan-Roscommon Exits

ENOUGH ALREADY GUYS. I hope they do not get another roads contract because as far as i can see, they are completely out of their depth. This is a very small road project with 2 (count em) exits, one of which is already partially there with Athlone bypass. How hard can it be?

Ive lost the rag on this one people. Now to go grab some of those pills that keep me so gosh darn jolly all the time.... :pac:

• Advertisement

Honestly, you would think they would forewarn about this. The AA said that this is due to"Emergency works".

Bull

Why was no work done on it all weekend if this was such an emergency. So many things have been wrong with this project sofar

-> Sending Tuam-Bound People to the already clogged Roscommon Exit and the god-awful right turn at O Mearas Gge for a month when Daneshill RAB built
    -> Uneven sufface on the new RAB when it was finally built It's only half surfaced at the moment, I think that the plan is to surface the entire link road in one hit!
    -> 1-lane Tuam Exit. Why guys, for the love of god why? Are you afraid the trip from D-G will be faster in the car than by train? Do you have vested interests in Iarnroid Eireann? Lane was closed while they constructed the base for the new gantry, now completed(ish)
    -> Proposing to send peple up the Roscommon Road again in BOTH directions when the Elan RAB being built We sorted that one! ;)
    -> And of course the closing of the lane from Coosan-Roscommon Exits

ENOUGH ALREADY GUYS. I hope they do not get another roads contract because as far as i can see, they are completely out of their depth. This is a very small road project with 2 (count em) exits, one of which is already partially there with Athlone bypass. How hard can it be?

Ive lost the rag on this one people. Now to go grab some of those pills that keep me so gosh darn jolly all the time.... :pac:

If you think this is bad, just wait 'till all the traffic goes via the new link road!

Advertisement