Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The 800 has an Mpeg4 tuner. Panasonic's technical support is rubbish. They either do not know what technology is in their products or giving deliberate wrong answers. Its hard to know whats up...... eh so what are you selling ? You dont know, do you.

Some girl recently tried to tell me there was seperate chip sets for the Satelitte and Terrestrial Tuners! Even though the PZ81b is confirmed as working with Irish DTT (even though according to Panasonic "it has an mpeg2 dvb-t tuner" - whatver that is!:rolleyes:)

I'm setting up the 37" LZD at the end of the week with a mate. Its not meant to do MPEG4 on the terrestrial end according to Panasonic. I am nearly convinced its a scare tactic to stop people in ROI buying Freesat products, especially ones that avail of the Use of the MPEG4 chip on the dvb-t end!

http://www.hifissimo.com/televiseur-plasma-panasonic-th-50pz800-31068-1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

Skyhater wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing results from your test.

Can anyone confirm that they have used the TX37LZD81 or TX32LZD81 to pick up Irish DTT's????
    Also, Does anyone know how this tv (or any other MPEG4 DTT TV's/STB's) handles receiving both Irish DTT and UK Freeview (...in Border Area's, etc).

I have just bought a Panasonic TX32LZD81 with Freesat and I set it up over the weekend. I connected an old 'rabbits ears' aerial and it auto-tuned in the 4 Irish TV channels as well as the radio stations.
    The reception quality is excellent. I am based in Dublin and picking up Three Rock, I assume.
    I connected up the NTL box and the picture is excellent on that as well. I haven't tried Freesat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Hi STB, I'm new to posting here but have been following various forums and threads for a while so apologies if this is posted improperly. I was in a shop on sunday looking to buy an LCD. The salesman told me that all Samsung series 6 and 7 were compatiable but i am unsure. I was looking at either LE40A786r2fxx or LE40A656 and could not see them on your list. I would be grateful if you or anyone here could advise me. Thanks

Samsung
    PS42A426, PS50A426, PS42A466, PS50A466/PS42A467,
    PS50A467, PS50A566/PS50A567, PS50A756, PS63A756,

LE26A465, LE32A465, LE37A465, LE40A465
    LE26A466, LE32A466, LE37A466, LE40A466
    LE32A566, LE37A566, LE40A566, LE46A566,
    LE52A566, LE32A577, LE37A577, LE40A577,
    LE46A577, LE52A577, LE32A568, LE37A568,
    LE40A568, LE46A568, LE52A568, LE32A569,
    LE37A569, LE40A569, LE46A569, LE52A569
    LE37A626, LE40A626, LE32A676, LE37A676,
    LE40A676, LE46A676, LE52A676, LE37A696,
    LE40A696, LE46A696, LE32A756, LE40A756,
    LE46A756, LE52A756, LE40A796, LE46A796
    LE40A856, LE46A856, LE52A856, LE40A859,
    LE46A859, LE52A859, LE46A956, LE55A956

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

@STB. Many thanks for reply, got me really interested in uk version now.

gb--

medoc wrote: »
    The salesman told me that all Samsung series 6 and 7 were compatiable but i am unsure. I was looking at either LE40A786r2fxx or LE40A656 and could not see them on your list. I would be grateful if you or anyone here could advise me.

Series 6,7,8 and 9 "apparently" are meant to have MPEG4 tuners as standard, but as always this varies by country.

Neither of those do. They are British models with a standard Mpeg2 chip. There is a model LE40A656F which is sold in France with an Mpeg4 tuner. Most products sold in retail shops have Mpeg2 tuners and will not work with Irish DTT.

Most salesmen would sell their own grannies. If in doubt get the salesman to connect the particular model in the shop to an aerial or google the model no and spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

STB wrote: »
    Series 6,7,8 and 9 "apparently" are meant to have MPEG4 tuners as standard, but as always this varies by country.

Neither of those do. They are British models with a standard Mpeg2 chip. There is a model LE40A656F which is sold in France with an Mpeg4 tuner. Most products sold in retail shops have Mpeg2 tuners and will not work with Irish DTT.

Most salesmen would sell their own grannies. If in doubt get the salesman to connect the particular model in the shop to an aerial or google the model no and spec.

Many thanks for your reply, I was 99% sure he was talking cr*p but I'm glad I checked here. The salesman actually sold the 7 series to a person before ma and assured all they would need were "rabbit ears" in a year or two. I'll keep looking.
    Thanks again STB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clanck

Hi All,
    I purchased a Panasonic Th42-PZ800B which has freeview (the mpeg2 decoder) and I have been considering changing out the tunerboard for the Th42-PZ800E model (mpeg4), which is locally available through your local TV service agent. I am interest in your feedback on this idea, the turner board cost 300Eur locally. I am trying to source one online, I can get a US model at shopjimmy.com. ( http://www.shopjimmy.com/showparts.cfm?item=418604&ps=4186&pn=4 ).
    This is an expensive solution but I should keep the full capabilities of my TV.
    What you your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Clanck wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I purchased a Panasonic Th42-PZ800B which has freeview (the mpeg2 decoder) and I have been considering changing out the tunerboard for the Th42-PZ800E model (mpeg4), which is locally available through your local TV service agent. I am interest in your feedback on this idea, the turner board cost 300Eur locally. I am trying to source one online, I can get a US model at shopjimmy.com. ( http://www.shopjimmy.com/showparts.cfm?item=418604&ps=4186&pn=4 ).
    What you your thoughts?

For that kind of money I'd just buy a high end set top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Apogee

The US model has an ATSC tuner - avoid like the plague!

Have you considered selling your current model and replacing it with an mpeg4 compatible version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Monkey Gibbons

Hi all,
    I receive a good signal BBC1/2, ITV & Ch4 through an arial (living in south Cavan). Does this suggest I would receive Freeview? Any opinions on the benefit of Freeview?

Looking at buying a Panasonic plasma and would probably go for a TH-42PZ81B (/E on pixmania?) if I thought Freeview would work, combined with the Mpeg4 compatibility I've been made aware of from this thread. I’m particularly interested as satellite/cable is not an option for me but wondering if it's this feature is worth the extra money:confused:.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Clanck wrote: »
    Hi All,
    What you your thoughts?

The tuner has nothing to do with mpeg decoding.
    The job of a tuner is to demodulate the signal and give bits and bytes.
    The job of the mpeg decoder is to decode that bit and bytes delivered from the tuner.
    The mpeg decoder is either a extra chip at the mainboard or part of the cpu design.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Argos now selling this for just 130euro. Its new to the market so 'may' have MPEG4 enabled. Anyone willing to check it out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I doubt itdoes if they are advertising it as an LCD with Freeview. A tv for the UK market on sale here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fkearney wrote: »
    Argos now selling this for just 130euro. Its new to the market so 'may' have MPEG4 enabled. Anyone willing to check it out ?

Not sure about the tuner, but some googling finds some comments about poor picture quality and limited viewing angles.

IBOOD have an interesting offer today.

Does not mention mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 for the turner, but since it does DiVX/MPEG4 play on the DVD side, the tuner might do it as well.
    Philips PET835 Portable DVD Player with DivX support
    You'll enjoy using the elegant PET835 DVD/DivX player in your car as much as at home. In fact, wherever you are, you can watch your favourite films, watch Freeview channels (thanks to its built-in Freeview tuner), and listen to music. Thanks to Zero Bright Dot & trade technology and an anti-reflective treatment, you get incredible image quality on the screen. You can play DVDs, DivXs, MPEG4 and MP3 files, as well as JPEG files, making it a really versatile machine! Amongst its many qualities is a dual headphones socket, so two people can enjoy the PET835 at the same time without disturbing those around them. It also has a USB port to play files stored on a USB key, a practical remote control, and an in-built battery for three hours of playback. Enjoy all your media wherever you are, thanks to the PET835 from Philips!
    • Brand: Philips
    • Type: Philips PET835 DVD/DivX
    • Product Type: DVD player with TV tuner
    • Form Factor: Portable
    • Media Type: CD-R, CD-RW, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD, CD, Video CD
    • Media Format: NTSC, PAL
    • Electronic Programme Guide: Digital EPG
    • Supported Digital Video Standards: DivX, MPEG-4
    • Supported Digital Audio Standards: WMA, MP3
    • Digital TV Tuner Type: DVB-T
    • Display Type: LCD display - TFT active matrix - 8.5" - colour
    • Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    • Display Format: 480 x 234
    • MP3 Compatible: Yes
    • Features: JPEG photo playback
    • Sound Output Mode: Stereo
    • Digital Audio Format: Dolby Digital output
    • Speaker System Details: 2 x right/left channel speaker - built-in
    • Type: Remote control
    • Technology: Infrared
    • Connector Type: 1 x composite video/audio output 1 x composite video/audio input 1 x SPDIF output 2 x headphones ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm )
    • Included Accessories: Carrying case, car power adapter, antenna
    • Cables Included: A/V cable
    • Power Device: Power adapter - external
    • Battery: DVD player battery - rechargeable
    • Capacity: 3 hour(s)
    • Dimensions: 25.5 x 3.1 x 17 cm
    • Weight: 1 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Once more, the tuner has no affiliation to mpeg decoding.
    Beside that DIVX is not mpeg4 AVC H.264.
    You need a mpeg4 AVC H.264 level3 compatible mpeg decoder for irish dtt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

IBOOD have an interesting offer today.

Does not mention mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 for the turner, but since it does DiVX/MPEG4 play on the DVD side, the tuner might do it as well.

This Philips specification states that the DVB-T tuner in this unit only complies to MPEG-2. So, no good for Ireland DTT, but OK for UK Freeview.

maxg wrote: »
    Once more, the tuner has no affiliation to mpeg decoding.

Don't get so pedantic, you know what i mean.

taung wrote: »
    This Philips specification states that the DVB-T tuner in this unit only complies to MPEG-2. So, no good for Ireland DTT, but OK for UK Freeview.

Pity, maybe the next version...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Was in HNs in Nutgrove today looking at hi-def tvs - printed out the model number list from this thread and took it along. Had checked practically every tv when I gave up and asked the guy - he said they had only 1 - a [granted beautiful] Phillips tv for 2.8k!!

I asked him would they be getting more in as the Irish DTT service would be using it - he seemed confused and just said that nobody's asking for them....

-ZBEEB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    I asked him would they be getting more in as the Irish DTT service would be using it - he seemed confused and just said that nobody's asking for them....

-ZBEEB

Shows just how informed Harvey Normans clientelle usually are...

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Shows just how informed Harvey Normans clientelle usually are...

I'd say it's more how informed most of us are to be honest....

I also rang DID and spoke to a guy who seemed to know a bit about it - but he said that the one model they sold with MPEG4 (a Sony) would probably get the fta stuff but that a stb would be needed for any commercial (pay) channels anyway.

I don't know much about this stuff but I thought some of the more modern tvs had a slot for a CAM (? - apologies if I'm confusing the terminology) / card that would allow them to work with pay services?

Basically he was saying you may as well get a non MPEG4 telly as you'll need a stb..... is he right? I guess it's down to what "other" channels might be available on DTT when it launches....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    I'd say it's more how informed most of us are to be honest....

I also rang DID and spoke to a guy who seemed to know a bit about it - but he said that the one model they sold with MPEG4 (a Sony) would probably get the fta stuff but that a stb would be needed for any commercial (pay) channels anyway.

I don't know much about this stuff but I thought some of the more modern tvs had a slot for a CAM (? - apologies if I'm confusing the terminology) / card that would allow them to work with pay services?

Basically he was saying you may as well get a non MPEG4 telly as you'll need a stb..... is he right? I guess it's down to what "other" channels might be available on DTT when it launches....

Most of not all Sony MPEG4 TVs also have a CAM slot which could be used for Boxer.

Panasonic_TX37LZD81.jpg

37" LCD

You CAN get a Panasonic TX-LZD81 for Sterling £699.

To ship these in costs either £49 from one supplier or £69 from the other. 3 day delivery.

This was obviously a very good deal a week or two ago when sterling was weak.

At todays rate that is in around €850 all in. which is still good considering they do both Freesat & DTT

2 places to try.

1. LE CONCEPTS
    http://www.leconcepts.com/products/lcd-tvs/panasonic-tx-37lzd81-freesat-full-hd-lcd.html
    + STG69 shipping

2. DIRECTTVs
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_TX-37LZD80_37in_HD_Ready_1080p_Widescreen_LCD_TV_TX-37LZD80/version.asp + STG49 shipping

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH THESE LCDS HAVE 3 TUNERS -THE ANALOGUE TUNER WILL NOT WORK WITH NTL (as it is a UHF Tuner only).

37" LCD

You CAN get a Panasonic TX-LZD81 for Sterling £699.

To ship these in costs either £49 from one supplier or £69 from the other. 3 day delivery....
    <snip..>
    Thanks for that - will have a look at that site - looking for more of a 42" screen but I guess that they'll have one suitable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also try richersounds.ie or samsyerman.co.uk, they do some pricematching too

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Any ideas if this TV from Argos picks up TNT HD?

Samsung 40in LE40A856S1MXXU 1080P Digital TV. 536/7229

I see it on the Argos UK website for £1174.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bird-man

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH THESE LCDS HAVE 3 TUNERS -THE ANALOGUE TUNER WILL NOT WORK WITH NTL (as it is a UHF Tuner only).

STB, so if a TV has a VHF tuner, then you can plug NTL cable straight into it without an stb? I presume that the TV will have to have a CAM slot to allow decryption?

Slegs or anyone else, do you know if the Sony 40W4000 has a CAM slot. I looked up the spec on the sony web-site and I don't see CAM mentioned. It did mention PCMCIA card slot - is that it? :confused:

bird-man wrote: »
    STB, so if a TV has a VHF tuner, then you can plug NTL cable straight into it without an stb? I presume that the TV will have to have a CAM slot to allow decryption?

A stb for what ?

This panasonic will pick up Irish DTT services via the internal digital tuner when conected to an aerial.

It will also give you freesat when a sat dish is connected to it.

It also has an analogue tuner for picking up terrestrial analogue broadcasts.

The analogue tuner covers channels 21 - 68 and is UHF only. The reason for that is that is a UK model.

The point is that those who think that they can connect their basic NTL cable connection to it should know that it wont work for NTL analogue as they use VHF in Dublin.

It is important to understand the concepts of digital terrestrial television and cable television. They are not the same.

This TV will allow you receive (digitally) RTE1,2 TV3, TG4 and BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV 1,2,3,4 CH4, E4, More4, Sky News, BBC News and all those stations listed on freesat.co.uk FOR FREE. You do not have to subsribe to NTL or SKY.

Most cable operators these days actually supply a digital box anyhow.

The possibility of watching low grade cable tv though this TV will not bother those who buy it as it is a FTA air SAT and Irish DTT TV. Most people will have bought it to avoid paying bills to cable/satellite companies

bird-man wrote: »
    Slegs or anyone else, do you know if the Sony 40W4000 has a CAM slot. I looked up the spec on the sony web-site and I don't see CAM mentioned. It did mention PCMCIA card slot - is that it?

Yes.

But you should buy the Panasonic. Has Freesat tuner and Irish DTT tuner, is HD, a Common Interface Slot and costs €850 max delivered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bird-man

A stb for what ?

This panasonic will pick up Irish DTT services via the internal digital tuner when conected to an aerial.

It will also give you freesat when a sat dish is connected to it.

It also has an analogue tuner for picking up terrestrial analogue broadcasts.

The analogue tuner covers channels 21 - 68 and is UHF only. The reason for that is that is a UK model.

I understand all this.
    The point is that those who think that they can connect their basic NTL cable connection to it should know that it wont work for NTL analogue as they use VHF in Dublin.

Good point. Now I get where you were coming from. Sorry, bit sloooow.
    It is important to understand the concepts of digital terrestrial television and cable television. They are not the same.

This TV will allow you receive (digitally) RTE1,2 TV3, TG4 and BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV 1,2,3,4 CH4, E4, More4, Sky News, BBC News and all those stations listed on freesat.co.uk FOR FREE. You do not have to subsribe to NTL or SKY.

Most cable operators these days actually supply a digital box anyhow.

Yes I understand that they are different.

I currently have a digital cable stb with a ntl card. So my query was whether I could now plug digital cable directly to the TV if there is a CAM slot for the NTL card. I've no idea what kind of compression (MPEG?) that NTL use for digital tv over cable. Perhaps it is proprietary coding and therefore I will always need their digital stb.

Advertisement