Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Snowbie, that cell you mentioned went up before my eyes. Passed just to my north, clipping Dublin airport. Lots of interesting clouds around. Got some nice rotation on video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice bit of Thunder and Lightning here but the rain was torrential, still raining but not as heavy the Thunder seems to have died away at present.

Got a few shots of flooding but none of the Lightning.

P1000709.jpg

P1000708.jpg

P1000707.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Surface winds have gone into the SW here but all signs of lightning has disappeared. Very dark to my west with heavy rain inching towards here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭squonk

Just started to pour here now. Just like flicking a switch. We're just on the margins I'd say. It's just stopped now but it has just come back lightly again now! Mad! Very big drops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Great shots Storm10 - especially the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thanks Confab, If I had the camera in the car going home from work I could have had a few of the Lightning as there were a number of pretty big forked ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Nice bit of Thunder and Lightning here but the rain was torrential, still raining but not as heavy the Thunder seems to have died away at present.

Got a few shots of flooding but none of the Lightning.

P1000709.jpg

P1000708.jpg

P1000707.jpg

Nice one Storm 10. When it rains it the city, it rains. I have many the horror story to tell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

All appears to be falling apart now. Skies still look very chaotic and I can see rain to my north but not much more development now. Will get some interesting video up online in the coming few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh well. Another day, another CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

On the 9:00 news weather, they confirmed a mini tornado in Mitchelstown this afternoon. Also something about most ever percip near shannon but got interupted by someone. Anyone catch that. Would love to know the details???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Geez, whats all the fuss about rain, tornados and shannon records? It was a fine day here and even managed a snoice 22.3c in Costa del Laois! :D:D:D

Danno wrote: »
    Geez, whats all the fuss about rain, tornados and shannon records? It was a fine day here and even managed a snoice 22.3c in Costa del Laois! :D:D:D
    I know Danno! Was on to the mammy a few times today telling her to expect a thunderstorm back in the home place, Johnstown not to far from you. God dem disco's in Murphys were great. But anyway, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We had a couple of faint rumbles of thunder before the rain arrived. very disappointing really - but at least i'm leading in the weather league:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Right then , packin the bags , checkin the resorts , headin for laois .;);)

(and its nearer to croke park ):D:D............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

CIDK wrote: »
    On the 9:00 news weather, they confirmed a mini tornado in Mitchelstown this afternoon. Also something about most ever percip near shannon but got interupted by someone. Anyone catch that. Would love to know the details???

Shannon had about 48mm this afternoon, wouldn't surprise me if it was most in a hour or 2.
    Haven't seen the 9.25pm forecast

38.2mm in an hour at shannon IIRC. http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/ <<< CLICK on Weather Forecast for a replay. It may be after 10pm by the time tonights cast is on there.

The 60 minute record for the most rainfall at any Irish Station ever was broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

38.2mm in an hour at shannon IIRC. http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/ <<< CLICK on Weather Forecast for a replay. It may be after 10pm by the time tonights cast is on there.

The 60 minute record for the most rainfall at any Irish Station ever was broken.

I had just looked and its not available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

CIDK wrote: »

I think I heard him say 38.1 mm in one hour atS hannon Airport the highest ever recorded since records began for any station in this country:eek:

Thanks lads.

F3ck1n H3ll!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

ok the video of small funnel cloud and storm now uploaded if you want to have a look.it was recorded in trim at around 5.45 when the convergence whas crossing the north east of the country.think this is the tail end of the storm that caused alot of lightning in navan, slane and Drogheda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdV7ir80VRQ

• Advertisement

Finally squeezed a drop of rain from the constant nearby shower. A whopping 0.6mm. Amazing the difference a mile or two can do with regards rainfall in these set ups.:)

But now, the fun begins ;)

Didn't Phenix Park in Dublin record twice that amount last year in the same amount of time, or is that for a different timespan? I think something like 76mm or something.

Just looked it up, obviously not. Max hourly rainfall last June was 29mm, while Phoenix Park 90min total was 26mm out of a daily total fall of 53mm. on the 22nd June.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/jun07MWB_lores.pdf

Although I am sure I read somewhere there was an exceptional total from a thunderstorm at Phoenix Park sometime in the past. Do you have any information about this off hand Mothman? I'd nearly swear in was in the 70mm range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

ok the video of small funnel cloud and storm now uploaded if you want to have a look.it was recorded in trim at around 5.45 when the convergence whas crossing the north east of the country.think this is the tail end of the storm that caused alot of lightning in navan, slane and Drogheda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdV7ir80VRQ

Tres cool man (you could have edited out the last 8 minutes though :)), just a coincidence that Network 2 showed a mock drama-documentary about a super-tornado hitting Dallas, Texas head-on this evening too.

Absolutely torrential in Galway city around 5:30 today, one of the heaviest rain showers I have ever been in, drove 10 miles up the road and it was bone dry - weird.

i know but there was some serious rotation in those clouds.pity the video doesn't show it that well.rang in to met eireann earlier and apparently there were many reports of tornados.the guy who is head of Torro even rang me and wanted to see the videos himself as i had recorded 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

An emergency flood warning has been issued for Newcastle West apparently. The river is swelling fast (again).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

darkman2 wrote: »
    An emergency flood warning has been issued for Newcastle West apparently. The river is swelling fast (again).

I am not surprised. The main river that flows through the town I live in is extremely high at the moment, and is flooding in parts. The amount of rain that fell today within two hours was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

We had round about 30mm from a large shower here this evening between 7.45 and 9.15, twas biblical at times. I caught some pics of the shower as it approached, and have posted them in the weather pictures thread.

Just checked this out on Torro

***SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING***

For East Sussex and parts of Kent, issued at 22:00BST Weds 6th August 2008:

Radar indicates that a thunderstorm capable of producing large and damaging hail is located close to Newhaven and Rottingdean at 22:00, and will move NE at abour 35mph. Residents of southern and eastern East Sussex, and western Kent should take shelter if severe weather approaches, away from windows. Severe winds are also possible

A TORNADO WATCH is in effect for the area - severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes with no advance warning. There is at least a small risk that this storm could produce a tornado.

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/t/19914.aspx <<< Just put a summary up on TWO. Maybe a bit of interest to some of them there too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Advertisement