Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCP Conference this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

First off, everyone's welcome, I figured everyone there knew who I was and would be expecting stuff to show up here anyway, so since I was in trouble already I might as well do it right :D

And I'm of the opinion that people (not necessarily me, and I'd prefer it if there were a lot more doing it) showing up at these things and blogging them like that is somewhat akin to having a boil on your posterior lanced. It's a pain in the rear end while it's going on, but the end result is that everything's a little bit better afterwards because then everyone knows what's happening, feels more invested in the whole process, and we generally see better results and less muppetry. (I say generally, because life is full of very specific muppets ;) )

Anyway, today was not a shouty day. Almost the entire shooting and hunting community was represented (and those not officially represented had significant people present to hold up their ends, like the team coach for the IPSA teams for example, who was there for another body but was still a friendly face). And almost every state body was represented as well. And problems were openly and straightforwardly discussed, sometimes a little more clearly than others yes, but discussed nonetheless. No-one shouted. No-one banged the table, metaphorical or otherwise. Everyone stayed in the same room. Everyone put forward viewpoints and everyone else listened. This despite the fact that I know several of the people in that room wouldn't have urinated on each other were they on fire only a few years ago.

Now, nothing got decided. Make no mistake there. This wasn't a "let's decide how to do X, Y and Z" day. This was very much a talkaboutit day. And it succeded enormously in that respect, and even now it's continuing to do so - as we speak, the DoJ and Gardai and NARGC and NTSA and SSAI and a dozen other groups are sitting down to dinner and drinks and they'll chat and schmooze and network and get facetime and whatever other buzzword you use to describe it. And that is how you fix stuff. Not sexy, not dramatic, and generally noone feels like they got exactly what they wanted, but everyone can live with the end result. People met at this, they listen to the stuff presented, they put forward things they've been thinking about, and then they go away and think about what they've heard and a solution gradually forms and bubbles up through their respective associations and through the FCP and pretty soon we have a comprimise consensus and then we get to actually go and do things. Like run matches or actually - gasp - shoot!

And some of the things that came out today were genuine sea changes being publicly expressed. Noel Clarke's talk had quite a few eyes discretely popping as he said in public things that we've "known" the Gardai would never say for as long as I've been shooting and for longer for quite a few others. Nothing was shot down - one person one licence (doing my bit against sexism there ;) ) was discussed and no objection past the technical one of implementation was raised. And this was put forward as an annual thing.

Seriously, does anyone else see this as being as important as I'm thinking it is? An actual, official, annual conference between all the members of the shooting community and the Gardai and the DoJ? How long have we wanted something like this? How many people have broken their backs working towards something like this? How much time and effort and money has gone into trying to get to here? And now we're seeing it and it's being acknowledged as a first step, the beginning of a continuing process rather than the end of an experimental trial run that will then be abandoned. That, in and of itself, is a massive, massive leap forward.

Having been in the middle of it for a few years, let me say that I for one am exceptionally happy that the useless shouting and macho posturing is being set to one side as a failed approach and something more productive (if less dramatic and tabloid) is being tried, and is succeeding.

Now, that said, I'll bet that tomorrow will be a bit more pointed as Rovi put it, but the important part of this whole conference has already been achieved by people showing up and attending today.

BTW, there's a nice group photo that'll wind up floating about soon enough, I'll post it soon as I see it on the websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

the whole thing sounds fantasic, i wonder if it's a world first to have open discussion like this amongst the varied shooting interest groups
    Bryan

Gunter, the canadian document is on this thread on an earlier page thanks to cantona and IRLConor.

Packas, I asked informally because (a) the opportunity to ask officially is tomorrow at the earliest and (b) I'm not really there officially on behalf of anyone (I seem to have been put in as jokingly representing boards.ie with Rovi though), let alone the IPSA. And there are people there who are far more involved with the IPSA than I am, I just asked because I figured if I was the lightning rod, not much was really going to get damaged as I'm not on any committee. The informal answer - and remember, it's informal so I'm paraphrasing, but I'll happily give more details if someone on the IPSA committee wants them - is that when the IPSA pulled out of affiliating to the SSAI, the powers that be got the impression that if they recognised the IPSA independently it would be snubbing other groups and it would also be stepping into "internal politics in the shooting community", and they have that up there in the top ten list of ways to not be productive. However, the department did meet with IPSA, so they've not been cut off alltogether. And while it was an informal answer and not a contract, the distinct theme of the answer was that if the IPSA were to affiliate with the SSAI, they'd have representation at the FCP and we could all get on with it.

(And yes, if the IPSA affiliate with the SSAI, the NTSA must leave, but that's the better solution in this case anyway, at least in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Again well done Mr.Sparks:D

I used to live across the road from David Scallan when I was in Sligo!! Have lost touch since:(

Sparks would there be any chance of someone mentioning a collectors licence? As they have in the north and UK?

Thanks and all the best for tomorrow. GROUNDBREAKING

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

well done guys esp...sparks,btw hows the fingers ? . :D

• Advertisement

They were aching a bit by the end there alright Pat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks, I know we've had our differences ;) but fair dues this is above and beyond the call of duty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Allow me to echo Bunny's sentiments on this as well Sparks.:)
    We have info coming out from the conference [real time]of what is being said,and can get some instant feed back.The more of this the better.It cuts down on the "what did you hear?" type rumours/ fear we have had to put up with in the shooting community for decades.

Better to jaw jaw than to war war [ W Churchill]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Allow me to echo Bunny's sentiments on this as well Sparks.:)
    We have info coming out from the conference [real time]of what is being said,and can get some instant feed back.The more of this the better.It cuts down on the "what did you hear?" type rumours/ fear we have had to put up with in the shooting community for decades.

Better to jaw jaw than to war war [ W Churchill]

+1 and rrpc also thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

And the dude from DOJ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fair play to Garret Byrne, Noel Clarke, the FCP and whoever else made this happen. As others have said this is groundbreaking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Fantastic job sparks, above and beyond the call

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Looks like Sparks' fingers couldn't take the strain of vBlogging all day today as well. (I'd say they're worn to stumps from yesterday's efforts :p) Looking forward to hearing about it later, especially the word from the workshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Well done Sparks, its great to see this openness. This is what the sport has needed for a long time. No more hidden discussions behind closed doors.

Again WELL DONE SPARKS, DOJ ,Garda and NGB'S.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I attended today( I could not yesterday due to work commitments) very productive and I was able to get my points over on the issues of reloading (Allthough I still dont think they even understand what is involved) and moderators( which is going to be revisited).
    There was talk of renewing licences at post offices.
    Also I believe there was some comments about this thread but I missed that. Sparks was taking more notes so he should fill you in more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I attended today( I could not yesterday due to work commitments) very productive and I was able to get my points over on the issues of reloading (Allthough I still dont think they even understand what is involved) and moderators( which is going to be revisited).
    There was talk of renewing licences at post offices.
    Also I believe there was some comments about this thread but I missed that. Sparks was taking more notes so he should fill you in more

Traumadoc, as a man with his finger on the pulse ,so to speak;)
    would you be hopeful that reloading would be legalised any time soon?

I would not hold out much hope, they (DOJ) were given legal advice that because persons reloading were in some way accredited ( they want us to do training)by the state, any accidents could lead the state ( State claims agency) being liable to damages. It was pointed out that the state licences shooters but is not liable for damages with shooting accidents.
    GB then said they could be used in pipebombs, ( real joe duffy stuff here) and it was pointed out that all that was needed was a visit to the supermarket to get the ingredients.

GB also pointed out that reloading was being tightened up in the UK, And the dangers about underloads leading to breaches blowing up. again it was all a bit grasping at straws

He also mentioned that the powder storage would come under the new explosives act. and that all places would need to be inspected to allow powders to be kept. And there was not the resources to do this.

I really dont think they want to allow handloading : I feel that it might be ignorance about what reloading entails, I would love to send my old RCBS training video to the department, but cannot find it - does anyone out there have a copy ?

Looks like Sparks' fingers couldn't take the strain of vBlogging all day today as well. (I'd say they're worn to stumps from yesterday's efforts :p) Looking forward to hearing about it later, especially the word from the workshops.
    Well, the fingers were tired allright, but the main problem was that yesterday's blogging wasn't well appreciated by some (not, I want to say, by the DoJ who expressly said it was a grand idea, nor by the shooting associations nor by the Gardai), and I wasn't going to go along with sabotaging the conference so I didn't do the liveblogging thing today. I will note for posterity, mind you, that some people continued to bring out the laptops, so it felt somewhat petty on the day. However, on to more important things.

The initial talk was by Des Crofton, and the title should tell you a lot about both the talk and the last two days - From Conflict to Cooperation and about five years ago, I would have sold all my rifles and kit to have heard that speech. A brief look at the history from 72 to today, not to bash the gardai but to point out the things that went wrong so they can be avoided in future, and to point out how they've been fixed or are being fixed. The situation isn't perfect, and legislation never can be perfect, but we've made enormous strides and the right attitude now prevails. There are new demands on shooters as well as on the DoJ and Gardai - we need to be more professional, more business-like, and to an extent we need to be more organised in our efforts. The FCP panel members present were introduced to the floor and thanked for their efforts. There was a small bit on looking forward and how things are looking promising for a continued evolution towards a better state of affairs.

Then there was the HCAP talk, which gave a brief history of the Irish Deer Society from '68 on, a discussion on the .22/250 round (for those wondering, it will not be barred from use, nor will the IDS seek to bar it, because in practise, it's being abandoned wholesale anyway as people move to better rounds on their own).
    It's anticipated that by 2010, all hunters on coillte land will have passed the HCAP test. (HCAP only applies to coillte land)
    The development of the HCAP test was outlined, and a walkthrough of the stalker manual was given (I'm not a hunter so picking out the interesting bits here is something I'm no good at).
    The range test was mentioned (grouping test at 100m prone - 3 shots inside a 100mm group; then 6 shots at a deer target, 2 from 100m prone, 2 from 60m kneeling, 2 from 40m standing, all must be in the kill area). Some photos of people doing the test in the midlands were shown. The standard of shooting seen in HCAP tests is increasing, and the presence of ranges like the MNSCI was cited as a big factor in that.
    Between 2003 and 2006, the number of deer shot annually has risen from ~12,000 to ~20,000, but the numbers are still too low to manage the deer population properly.
    To date, 600 have sat the HCAP test, some 300 have passed, but the pass rate is 75 to 80% (some of those sittings are obviously resittings) and the major cause of failure is people not studying the manual.
    HCAP is judged to have been a success.

Then the Firearms Safety talk, and this was probably the least well received (though again, noone shouted or booed :D ). The presenter was from the National Crime Prevention Unit, who issue guidelines as advice to supers (they do not issue standards or rules, only advice as the super is the persona designata).
    I think his initial statement, repeated a few times through the talk, that firearms are designed to kill didn't endear him to anyone. That was cited as the need to have controls in place.
    The bulk of the responsibility for safety falls on the licenced firearms holder and while the vast majority are responsible, there are a minority of exceptions who create the need for controls.
    There are four main threats to safety -
    Accidental Shootings: Mostly these are caused by people leaving firearms accessible to non-shooters who pick them up and "play" with them and have accidental discharges as a result. This happens regardless of the background of the non-shooter involved.
    Acts of Passion: Described as a row in a domestic situation where the protagonists would pick up a knife and stab their spouse - and if a firearm was easily accessible would use that as well.
    Suicides - About 30 per year, and while it's not possible to prevent a determined person from committing suicide, the twin points were made that (1) it's usually not the licencee who commits suicide, and (2) in some cases it's the 18-year-old filled with angst over breaking up with his girl who shoots himself, whereas if he hadn't, he'd have been fine the next morning.
    (As we put it to each other over coffee, the reason we've not been granted licences for our .375H&H rifles is that we might have been devestated when our teenage girlfriends leave us for younger men and might have shot ourselves, and therefore the Gardai are really just telling us that they love and treasure us by refusing certificates)
    Burglary & Theft - ~350 cases per year, ~30 of which are from cars. Stolen guns are used in crime. Cabinets are only rarely broken into, most thefts are from outside the cabinet.
    In the case of Driving, we have controls - licencing, insurance, roadworthyness checks, the rules of the road. We need similar controls for shooting, but only because of a careless minority.
    "Measures must be consummerate with risk"
    The liklihood of an event and the seriousness of the event must be considered.
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).
    Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).
    The NCPU is happy to see young people in the sport because they learn by example and we set a good example.
    (Like I said, not the most well-received of talks, it was met with a measured but polite silence)

That was the last talk; there was a brief coffee break then we broke up into three groups for the workshops. I'll let others comment on the young people's workshop and the clubs&ranges workshop.

In the catch-all workshop ( :D ), several topics arose. Deer hunting was the initial topic, but not only do I have no expertise in this, Garreth Byrne feels he doesn't have any either and that it'd be better to have had the wildlife services people there (they did actually invite them it transpires, they just couldn't attend).

The One Man One Licence topic arose again, and again the response was that it looks logical (though apparently some EU states prefer our system) but we're bound by the '06 act and must finish implementing that before we could move on to OMOL. There are also serious IT difficulties (PULSE can't do OMOL right now it seems).

The idea of raising the muzzle energy threshold for airguns from the current 1 joule to the 12 ft-lb level of the UK or the 7-joule level of the German system was brought up, and again wasn't shot down - there's no perceived problem with things like paintball (and I made the point that paintball markers have twice the muzzle energy of an air rifle so if they're okay, we should be too, and I pointed out the problems of bringing in air rifles for competitions). However, while this is a possible thing that may happen (in, say, the Misc.Provisions Bill) it needs to be discussed at FCP level first. Des Crofton made the point that while this is definitely something we should be looking to do, practical limits on people may lead to the FCP having short-term, medium-term and long-term goals, and this may not make it to the short-term list.

Reloading was discussed at length, with good input from two boards.ie people who I'll let decloak themselves if they so wish :D There is some resistance here - however there is also dialog. The DoJ's position has been given in a document to the FCP to work with, and they will be working with it.

Importation of firearms by individuals came up - it's felt that the practise of getting your licence then importing your firearm yourself is too uncontrolled to continue. At least a form to fill out so the DoJ know where the firearm came in from into the system seems to be felt to be needed.

I raised (and it was raised again in the second workshop, and we mentioned it in private afterwards) the problem of definitions in the Act - some which aren't there at all (like target shooting and zeroing and the whole section 4A mess that comes from that) and some (like in the restricted SI, which apparently is going ahead) which conflict with the Act. The point was made that the legislation is such a twisty beast that if you fix one hole here, you could create six over there in another act, so while they'll definitely work on it, it might not be a quick fix.

And that was workshop three. The last question and answer session was abandoned because at this point we were well behind schedule, so GB closed up the meeting, thanking all who had made it happen, and the IPA chair also gave a closing address, and we went to lunch and that was that. Hopefully, we'll see this as having been the first such conference and we'll see it become an annual event, because it was a resounding success at what it set out to do.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I would not hold out much hope
    I dunno. I don't see it happening immediately, but I think it's pretty inevitable to be honest. You can't go down the road of having meetings like this and panels like the FCP and somehow avoid allowing the sane things like reloading and such, where there's such a proven track record of safety. I think it's just a matter of time and exposure to the side of the argument that's not being put forward by health-and-safety types.

My glass looks half empty.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The glass isn't half empty Trauma, it's just that it was designed with excess capacity ;)
    (Well, that or someone's stealing your pint...)

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Sparks wrote: »
    Importation of firearms by individuals came up - it's felt that the practise of getting your licence then importing your firearm yourself is too uncontrolled to continue. At least a form to fill out so the DoJ know where the firearm came in from into the system seems to be felt to be needed.

I was at the same session as Sparks and I got the same vibe with regard to the DoJ concern over personal imports of firearms (particularly pistols). In my view this issue is born of the situation caused by the DoJ not allowing firearms dealers to hold stocks of pistols for sale which you can go in and try before purchase. Thus you have people making personal imports via Article 7 / 11 with or without the assistance of a firearms dealer.

Now you have the firearms dealers "kicking back" on the basis that their legitimate trade is being seriously affected by these personal imports. I'd say this is something that will need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

fat-tony wrote: »
    I was at the same session as Sparks and I got the same vibe with regard to the DoJ concern over personal imports of firearms (particularly pistols). In my view this issue is born of the situation caused by the DoJ not allowing firearms dealers to hold stocks of pistols for sale which you can go in and try before purchase. Thus you have people making personal imports via Article 7 / 11 with or without the assistance of a firearms dealer.

Now you have the firearms dealers "kicking back" on the basis that their legitimate trade is being seriously affected by these personal imports. I'd say this is something that will need to be addressed.

It would affect people like me who like to shoot older versions of rifles, which means most of them are no longer produced and have to be bought second hand at auctions and from dealers overseas etc. No dealer here would stock any of these anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Preusse wrote: »
    It would affect people like me who like to shoot older versions of rifles, which means most of them are no longer produced and have to be bought second hand at auctions and from dealers overseas etc. No dealer here would stock any of these anyway.

I don't think older model rifles/pistols would be an issue for the DoJ (or the dealers), Preusse. It's the newer semi-auto pistol importation that seems to be the main concern. I had to go down that route myself for an ISSF pistol, researched and located a seller in Germany, but used a firearms dealer as "middleman" in the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I was at the clubs and ranges workshop: the main question there was the definition of a shooting range. The current definition is that a range is where target shooting is carried out on a structured basis for the purpose of target shooting or target practice.

I may not have this worded correctly, but it's the gist of it anyway. The difficulty in defining what is target shooting and therefore what a range is was discussed at length, but it appears that the onus is on the range operator (whether ad hoc or otherwise) to ensure that it is authorised. The range inspector stated that he wasn't going to be 'jumping hedgerows' in order to find ranges. :)

An interesting slant was provided by the Surrey police firearms manager who pointed out that in the UK, your licence for a firearm in the case of a target shooter specifically states that the licence is for target shooting on 'approved' ranges.

We are not far from this description here, in that many licences issued are for target shooting only.

Someone else suggested that if you are shooting on an authorised range, then this is target shooting, if not then it is not target shooting. However, the whole issue of using your firearm in breach of the conditions of your licence could conceivably curtail this type of shooting to authorised ranges only and if you have your own range, then it may have to be authorised.

Some more work needs to be done to tighten up and more accurately define these areas with regard to all possible consequences and the work is ongoing.

Unfortunately, there was cnsiderable digression from the scope of the workshop as a result of questions about shotgun shooting, young people and lack of presence onthe FCP by certain bodies and this limited the discussion on ranges and clubs to the above discussion and one other question which although it was important to the club concerned, was not of any wider interest bar the possibility at some later stage of the DoJ part-funding certain improvements to range facilities (not safety ones) from whatever (if any) surplus derived from licence fee income.

Apologies if this is not altogether coherent, but tiredness is taking it's toll :)

By the way, GB mentioned that the rise in use of pipe bombs in dublin was a concern when reloading was mentioned - I suppose life has to have it's small jokes with us all.
    From today's Irish Independent:
    Pipebomb factory in CIRA link smashed by gardai
    By Tom Brady Security Editor

Gardai have smashed a bomb supply line between terrorists and Dublin crime gangs.

The breakthrough was made yesterday after a major garda anti-terrorist operation resulted in the arrest of a key dissident republican suspect.
    So, that's that problem dealt with - now, about this reloading licence... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

fat-tony wrote: »
    I don't think older model rifles/pistols would be an issue for the DoJ (or the dealers), Preusse. It's the newer semi-auto pistol importation that seems to be the main concern. I had to go down that route myself for an ISSF pistol, researched and located a seller in Germany, but used a firearms dealer as "middleman" in the transaction.

yes, you may be right, fat-tony. The only problem I have with this is that I usually have to explain to the auctioneer/seller etc that it will take a while because i need to apply for the Art 7. In the meantime however, I pay the auction price to keep the seller sweet and he/she usually accepts that. Now it would get more complicated (for the seller) as I have to make him/her understand that I want to buy/bid on the rifle/pistol but that he will have to wait after the auction for contact from a third person, i.e. my firearms dealer before we can conclude the transaction. That also means I will have to pay more, not only the usual auction costs and shipment and certification from Germany (usually 70 Euro including postage) but also the time and effort that "my" Irish firearms dealer puts into getting my firearm over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

its kinda quiet in here tonight lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yes pat, yes it is! maybe too quite.......isn`t this the boards where all them teens were killed years ago and noone was ever caught:eek::D

Plenty on the active list;)

Its strange to see how gardi/Doj have such Hollywood views on guns and reloading. Maybe an invite to the range is in order???

Advertisement