Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manly Injuries

Options
  • 05-12-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

What with this being the place where real men go I'm sure there are some interesting injury related stories amongst the brothers. I'm not talking paper cuts, broken nails or any of that. Leave them to the wimmins forum. I'm talking about horror limb breaks, nasty cuts, backs put out from lifting kegs etc. They do them in Zoo every week so have we any boards' ones? Any pics of said injuries would be great too.

I'll get the ball rolling. I've got a nice big scar just beside my right eye thanks to an incident in a football match earlier this year. Going up for a header with a few lads I got a lovely elbow to head. Split me right open. Did I cry for mammy? F*ck no. It was a quick taping up, couple of panadol (admittedly a slightly weak moment on my part), and back on I went. Didn't bother with stitches either so hence the scar. Here's what it looked like the next day -

66107211a4139283156b936225675l.jpg

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I cut my finger in half lengthways :eek:

Pic to follow........

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have a huge bruise on my tigh where i fell out a door - do that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

irishbird wrote: »

:eek: Off to wimmins forum with you. Shoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mucker23

I hav a scare on my leg from 3rd degree burns when my trousers went up in flames, in and out of hospital for 9 months :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I have a scar on my ass from when I was 6 and got so dizzy playing musical chairs that I fell over onto a china pot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Complete Rupture of my Left ACL, I thought that was sore,but then came the surgery, 2 weeks of lieing on the floor getting everything done for me, I think I got a good deal out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ruthiedv

You haven't really lived till you've had an episiotomy:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

irishbird wrote: »
    You have to post a pic.

Of your thigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Broken Nose and two broken arms :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ruthiedv wrote: »
    Ah but you were in mint condition after it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

When I was 5 or 6, was on a tour with school before the break for summer holidays. The bus stopped at a beach somewhere, and we all got off the bus to go nuts. About 10 minutes later, I was approached by my teacher and dripping wet (1-year-younger) brother. The stupid sod had fallen into the drink fully clothed, and the teacher wanted me to remove my under clothes so my brother would have something dry to wear on the return trip. This was done and we made the trip home.

Fast forward to later that afternoon. We're at my cousins' house playing out back (beside the old school). Parents are in my Uncle's house chatting before we go back home that evening.

We were always herded outside to play by my Aunt, and you would incur serious wrath if you tried to get back inside. If any of us needed to pee, we'd just unzip and pee wherever we happened to be standing, and this is what I proceeded to do. Now, this being my first time ever 'going commando', I was unaware of the extra caution needed in zipping up, and I zipped up fast and carefree as normal. BIG MISTAKE! There were probably those 3-4 seconds of stunned silence that you always see kids doing before the floods of tears appear, but the floods came.

No idea how it actually managed to happen, but the foreskin was lodged inside the zip with the zipper fully closed to the top of the fly. Ran inside screaming, not caring about the wrath of my Aunt (couldn't be any worse than this). My father got the unenviable task of removing todger from it's trap. He used his usual gentle approach in matters such as these and ripped the zip all the way downwards in a picosecond and I was free (albeit an agonising freedom).

I've since moved onto button flies, and have had a strange aversion to 'going commando' ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

I've a scar that runs down my left cheek where my ex from 13 years ago hit me with an Iron. It broke my cheek and ripped the skin right off and as much as I hate to say it that was actually one of the highlights of that night, he then went on a rampage and also broke my arm, my jaw, my nose, my maxilla (the part just under your nose) and 4 ribs. I ended up hospitalised for 6 months and needed alot of surgury to fix what he did :( But I'm all pretty now and he's probably in a gutter somewhere so screw him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

smashed my thumb and broke my wrist playing GAA when I was 14/15. Thumb was broke so bad the bone peirced the skin(just). Nearly shat myself when I looked down at it.

Worst thing was the awkward LHW's that I had for the next 3 months. Especially at that age when my hormones were all over the place and I was as horny as hell! :p

EDIT:
    Kazobel wrote: »
    I've a scar that runs down my left cheek where my ex from 13 years ago hit me with an Iron. It broke my cheek and ripped the skin right off and as much as I hate to say it that was actually one of the highlights of that night, he then went on a rampage and also broke my arm, my jaw, my nose, my maxilla (the part just under your nose) and 4 ribs. I ended up hospitalised for 6 months and needed alot of surgury to fix what he did :( But I'm all pretty now and he's probably in a gutter somewhere so screw him :D

Might just delete my post after this one. holy broken bones batman!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have ruptured my patellar tendons (the bit the doc taps on your knee when testing your reflexes) 5 times. The current running total is 3 times on the right and twice on the left. Three were the result of accidents and two were re-ruptures while the tendons were healing from the initial rupture. It's left me with 6 inch vertical scars on both knees, another 6 incher going horizontally on my right knee and three other scars ranging from 1-3 inches where various metal wires and screws had to be removed after the tendons had strengthened. I have little or no feeling in the flesh around my knees due to all the scar tissure there. Oh, and I have a small scar on my forehead where I split it open when I was 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

About 2 years ago playing football (on a Thursday) i went for a tackle and some fcuker decided he'd have a go at kicking the ball even though it was gone. Result was I got a kick full on in the stones. I was doing the usual, rolling round in agony not even able to scream as all the life had been knocked out of me.
    Ended up having to limp off. Then was in so much pain i couldn't watch the match so i drove home. Had to stop twice on the drive home as the pain was unbearable. When i got home i took a couple of *hore tranquiliser pain killers and then took a look at the damage. Bit of swelling of the leftie but didn't look too bad. Next day (Friday) went over to Liverpool to watch a match. Was having a walk round the city and had to go to a sports shop and buy a pair of Tracksuit bottoms because my jeans were causing so much pain.
    Back to hotel and had another inspection, leftie was now approx twice the size of rightie. Had to tell the g-friend and show it to her to see if it was really as bad as i thought. She thought it was hilarious.. So basically the rest of the weekend was ****.
    Back to college on Monday and eventually had to visit the doctor (a bloke!!) to see if there was something seriously wrong. Next thing i knew he had a syringe out and was draining blood from my town halls. The doc said it was pretty horrific looking. Was seriously swollen for about 2 weeks after it, no football for 6 weeks. Still have 1 ball bigger than t'other..
    Feel a bit queasy now after thinking about it...

*Yes, they were Hore Tranquilisers that i took. Similar to Horse Tranquilisers, but stronger..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ruthiedv

Robbo wrote: »
    Ah but you were in mint condition after it?

Mint...yeah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Age 10. Skateboard + broken glass == 7 stitches in knee-cap
    Age 12. Rusty hatchet + knotty wood == 10 stitches in thumb, index-finger + tetanus shots
    Age 14. Pushbike + icy road == 1 broken wrist
    Age 17. Pushbike + scumbag + milk bottle == 1 broken arm
    Age 18. Jogging + Alsatian == scar tissue on left buttock, in the shape of a padlock ... ice breaker :rolleyes:
    Age 23. Motorbike + brick wall == Both legs broken
    Age 30. Van + Motorbike + Kerb == 1 broken arm for trout, and 1 broken jaw for the van driver after I clocked him with my helmet :o

I don't count broken fingers from rugby ... though some of them now look like a pigs tail ... all stunted and curly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shooter McGaven

Brother + Wrestling = Slashed eyebrow, 4 stitches
    Roof + trip = 2 broken arms (casts up to shoulders, had to be fed and have arse wipped)
    Booze + Car + Wall + Tree + Windshield = 11 stitches on the head and nearly jail
    Booze + Stairs = Badly bruised back and legs
    Booze + Stairs = 4 stitches in the head
    Booze + Broken pint glass = 3 stitches on bottom of foot

No doubt theres more to come....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Roof + trip = 2 broken arms (casts up to shoulders, had to be fed and have arse wipped)

Now is that wiped or whipped? :D

Booze + Car + Wall + Tree + Windshield = 11 stitches on the head and nearly jail

I know this goes against everything this forum stands for, but have you ever thought that just maybe you should stop drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I pulled a full cup of me ma's tea off the kitchen table when i was about one. All over my face and shoulders. The boat race cleared up but my shoulders are a bit of a mess but the chicks love it.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote: »
    I know this goes against everything this forum stands for, but have you ever thought that just maybe you should stop drinking?

YOU SIR ARE BANG OUT OF ORDER!!! heres your coat, off to the wimmins forum with ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ruthiedv wrote: »

:eek:Ripped out fireplace!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

in march I slipped climbing over a gate and impaled the back of my right thigh on it, fell backwards with spike still inside - doing more damage. Had to be stiched inside out. Have a scar of about 6 ins but healed superbly due to good needlework! Saw some of the fat from my leg on the spike next day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Tendons in left shoulder and elbow.
    All bar three fingers have been broken at some time, mainly from boxing.
    Ligaments in neck, right knee and ankle.
    Broke right leg when a kid
    Four ribs
    Nose (on an ongoing basis)
    Ripped left calf muscle.

Mainly sporting injuries but the occasional recreational stupidity

Brother + Wrestling = Slashed eyebrow, 4 stitches

forgot to mention with the 2 broken arms that i had to have surgery to have one broken and set again, twat doctor made a complete shambles of it first time, good times, good times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

ah with the sprains....constantly doing them. Have weak ankles & wrists. As for cuts...umm a nice array of ones from paniced pets, and a few on my finger tips from a fight I had with a razor. That stung :(

Mostly I've been very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Drank a bottle of cheap aftershave when i was younger. reckon thats what has me drinking the way i am now

Breath still smells cool tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Was out cycling this time last year and cheap skate that I am I had one of those generator operated front lights (the ones that rub againest the wheel). Anyway my bike had a bit of a buckle on the front wheel so the light would brighten and dim rather annoyingly. Rather than stopping (I was on a hilll and freewheeling) and moving the little gene closer to the wheel I reached over the handle bars and attemped to fix it.
    Next thing I know I'm bleeding from a nasty gash on the head having gone over the handle bars after my left hand got tangled in the spokes of the front wheel. It's true what the say that at first shock dulls the pain because it wasn't untill I noticed that my wedding ring was missing after ripping most of the skin (I could see bone :eek:) from my ring and little finger, that the pain kicked in.
    Thankfully the local doctor told me my fingers, the little finger wasn't as bad as the ring finger which took the worst of it, had not been completely degloved as he decribed it, and having since seen pictures of fingers that have been degloved (look it up) thank god they weren't. This was due to my loose fitting ring, which is now even looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

right wrist snapped, left ankle in ****e, ligimants in right ankle twice, left collar bone, L2,3,4,5, prolapsed last 4 teeth on the left side removed without anastetic, oh the nose twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

when i was about 14 i was giving a mate of mine a crossbar and we were flying down a hill. when my mate decided to get his foot stuck in the front wheel:eek: so next thing i knew i was lying on the ground breaking my tits laughing. my mate was running up the road screaming. anyway managed to get up and carry the bike home with some blood coming from my face. i walked around the side of the house and my old man said look at the state of the f...ing bike:D then i my mother saw me and said dont mind the bike look at the state of him. so off to hospital we went. turned out i had two broken bones in my head a broken collar bone and tore the lining of my knee cap. was kept in hospital for a week and when my sister came to visit me she walked into the ward and back out again she didnt even know who i was i was so bashed up:D

anyway thats my 2 cents;)

Advertisement