Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

I've borrowed a judo suit off someone who previously got it in the college, the brand is Kabuki for anyone looking. Are the trousers meant to be nearly 3/4 length?

No lower than your ankle, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get them caught and break an ankle / leg whilst grappling and sparring

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Would it be suitable for someone who is 6ft 3 do you think?
    Cheers

The one I ordered was 180cm. Still that little bit long on my legs but I'll bring it up.

I'd get one that would suit your height. 6'3" is roughly 190cm tall.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

How strict do you think they will be on the 'predominantly white' trainers?

I've a brand new pair of black trainers in a box that I bought months ago when discounted because they were the same as my current ones which are comfortable but starting to wear thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

I've a brand new pair of black trainers in a box that I bought months ago when discounted because they were the same as my current ones which are comfortable but starting to wear thin.

Fairly strict I'd say it's all bout getting u use to the uniformity of AGS and that everyone is all on the same wave length. U would probably get away with it during the induction week and if they are telling you to get white ones u will have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

I've been trying to find Winstanley shoes online, they seem to be monopolized by the college! Also rang the college shop to see how much we might need and what we could we could get away with, they have nothing for sale yet so no use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just ordered that Judo suit on amazon. Amazon's dangerous, ended up buying a bunch of stuff I didn't need along with it. :/

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Just ordered that Judo suit on amazon. Amazon's dangerous, ended up buying a bunch of stuff I didn't need along with it. :/

And use Parcel Motel for the shipping to Ireland, works out much cheaper

billie1b wrote: »
    And use Parcel Motel for the shipping to Ireland, works out much cheaper
    But super saver delivery is completely free. Takes longer, but should still arrive in time.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    But super saver delivery is completely free. Takes longer, but should still arrive in time.

Cool, once it wasn't an arm and leg, sometimes its more for postage than the actual product

If your order comes to 25 pounds and the seller is Amazon it is always free. Even if it comes to 23 pounds by the time the VAT is recalculated for Ireland it usually hits the magic 25 mark.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know thar, I deal a lot with Amazon, thanks for the heads up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Please tell me this was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sgthoff

i was thinking the same thing, a lot here in for a shock with the line of thinking on the last few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

It's the one thing that's bugging me really - being expected to pay for uniformed kit. If it's standard issue, it should be issued, not sold.

Wouldn't see it anywhere else.

NYPD buy almost their entire uniform themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

sgthoff wrote: »
    i was thinking the same thing, a lot here in for a shock with the line of thinking on the last few pages

Massive shock is right!!

White trainers mean white trainers

Judo suit means judo suit

Its in black and white on a list sent directly to your home. Follow it, stick to it and dont deviate.

Point taken lads. Was only asking. Trainers don't grow on trees and I'm haemorrhaging cash as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Point taken lads. Was only asking. Trainers don't grow on trees and I'm haemorrhaging cash as it is.

I'm looking to get away with a pair of runners as well. Kinda blue. Kinda white. We'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

On the runners lads, in the shop they were selling blue/grey asics runners when I was down there for the lads and pink/grey for the girls.. The general asics running runners. With the white soles!

We now call them the mile and a half runners because that's exactly what they are for.. Running the mile and a half over and over!

At the end of the day if you have runners suitable for running distances you will not be told to get a new pair. Just don't turn up with flat soled runners that are not for running because then you will be told to change them. You will be doing a lot of running down there so decent runners are recommended!

Same here - its a nice little bill to get started with isnt it?! But best to be prepared properly for the sake of a few extra quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Same here - its a nice little bill to get started with isnt it?! But best to be prepared properly for the sake of a few extra quid

What's been your biggest cost? I've not started shopping for stuff yet!

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »

I think that'll hit us down there! The credit union must be drilling at our pending arrival!

But I did spent a bit on bed sheets etc... If they havnt bought new stuff it'll be donkeys years old and slept in my hundreds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I think that'll hit us down there! The credit union must be drilling at our pending arrival!

But I did spent a bit on bed sheets etc... If they havnt bought new stuff it'll be donkeys years old and slept in my hundreds!

Haha, I'm happy to sleep on their bedsheets if they clean them every week like they say. Less money and hassle for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I must say lads the bed sheets are always spotless.

Lol bringing new sheets... Do ya do that on holiday or when staying in a hotel...?

I would bring a pillow, everyone loves their own pillow!

I must say lads the bed sheets are always spotless.

Lol bringing new sheets... Do ya do that on holiday or when staying in a hotel...?

I would bring a pillow, everyone loves their own pillow!

Don't let the bed bugs bite!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Bed sheets? Are you a bit OCD? Do you bring sheets with you when you stay in a hotel? What about cups, plates and cutlery ? Need those also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't see a problem with bringing sheets. I wouldn't myself, maybe a pillow but sure what does it matter if someone does want to?

Twas Not wrote: »
    Bed sheets? Are you a bit OCD? Do you bring sheets with you when you stay in a hotel? What about cups, plates and cutlery ? Need those also?

And are you a bit pass remarkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Can someone send a link for the judo suit they bought on amazon. Just looking at different ones available im sure theyre all the same but i may aswell go on reviews from here.

Carroller wrote: »
    Can someone send a link for the judo suit they bought on amazon. Just looking at different ones available im sure theyre all the same but i may aswell go on reviews from here.
    Here's the one I went with, I think ShiverinEskimo is the one who posted it originally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XSALOW/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

His arrived and he said it's decent, so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »

I havnt bought anything yet - pay day next week!

Advertisement