Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Hey folks,
    You know (a) - (e) on the sportswear list, the stuff we have to buy from the Garda shop, any idea what kinda money we're looking at? I presume we'd need a couple of each of the polo and t shirts. The formal shoes could be pricey too. Yikes. We did awesome to get in, but it's working out quite expensive! :-/ I wonder is any of it subsidised?
    Thanks

I was told to set aside 300e to go down with for stuff to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Carroller wrote: »

Crikey. Ok, thanks for that! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Trusty credit card can take the brunt of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Trusty credit card can take the brunt of it

Credit Card? Whats that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It's the one thing that's bugging me really - being expected to pay for uniformed kit. If it's standard issue, it should be issued, not sold.

Wouldn't see it anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Guys,

A word of caution here for those starting post acceptance of offers and commencement of contractual engagement with AGS as you approach 8th Sept and future intakes.

Assume your instuctors are reading this forum
    Assume it will be discussed upon commencement of training.

Assume you will be asked who is such and such username (will be in jest ish)

Assume some of you will be already identifable.

Assume you won't be posting on here next month.

AGS will not be in favour of some/all of AGS related posts on public forum.

Be cautious imo and continued success.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I see swimming trunks are required folks, does tis mean that if you cant swim you have to learn or is it optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Lojak wrote: »
    I see swimming trunks are required folks, does tis mean that if you cant swim you have to learn or is it optional?

ive been told they teach you, and if you havnt learned to swim after that they throw you in the deep end and you do it the hard way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

ive been told they teach you, and if you havnt learned to swim after that they throw you in the deep end and you do it the hard way :p

i went through Templemore eight years ago. The swimming is divided into three. Non swimmers, medium and strong swimmers. You re expected to show an improvement but its really no worries if you stay in the shallow end for the duration. Just try your best and dont be worrying. Good luck to everyone starting. I wouldnt change jobs for anything else!

What make/brand are the parade shoes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Fachtna Murphy apparel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Winstanleys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Lojak wrote: »

what would happen if you didn't wanna get involved in the swimming? It's handy but, I can't see many actually using the swimming skills..

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Every town and city in the country is centred on a river !

Unfortunately suicide is common as well as people attempting it and others falling in due to alcohol or carelessness.

Swimming ability would be up there, but off course your safety comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jacks wasted life

Has anyone got any advice re. the judo suit? Where/estimate of how much?

I found this one but it seems a bit cheap compared to other ones I have seen online:

sportsdirect (.) com/lonsdale-judo-suit-mens-632153?colcode=63215301

Lads in relation to the swimming, unless your starting off down in the advanced class you will be very unlikely to be leaving the college with a good enough standard of swimming to be saving lives in a river...

Whats the point jumping into a river and ending up needing help yourself never mind attempting to help someone who sometimes might not want it and who will fight against you...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Lads in relation to the swimming, unless your starting off down in the advanced class you will be very unlikely to be leaving the college with a good enough standard of swimming to be saving lives in a river...

Whats the point jumping into a river and ending up needing help yourself never mind attempting to help someone who sometimes might not want it and who will fight against you...!!

Still a good skill to have. Whether just basic or advanced id recommend everyone to try. While you're down there, what's the worry?

BRB wrote: »
    Still a good skill to have. Whether just basic or advanced id recommend everyone to try. While you're down there, what's the worry?

apologies.. I should have replied directly to the one poster and not a general post.. I only know of 1 person in my phase who would have been competent enough to save a life when swimming in that situation.

A lot of others learned how to do the basics as they could not swim at all, it is great for that. I even eventually ended up in the advanced swimmers(all 2 of us) by the end of the time down there but even I still would not attempt to save someone in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D1401

Has anyone got any advice re. the judo suit? Where/estimate of how much?

I found this one but it seems a bit cheap compared to other ones I have seen online:

sportsdirect (.) com/lonsdale-judo-suit-mens-632153?colcode=63215301

Got mine in Mullen sports on Mary street in dublin city centre.
    Plain white €50....pricey compared to some of the others put up on here but I've bought martial arts suits and equipment off them nearly all my life and the product is always top quality stuff, have literally never been let down once..gum shield aswell...€5

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

D1401 wrote: »
    Got mine in Mullen sports on Mary street in dublin city centre.
    Plain white €50....pricey compared to some of the others put up on here but I've bought martial arts suits and equipment off them nearly all my life and the product is always top quality stuff, have literally never been let down once..gum shield aswell...€5

Maybe he would do a deal for bulk price for garda trainees?, I know plenty of dublin based folk heading down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I've a friend who has done judo for years, he's given me a kit... Here's hoping that it fits!!

Ordered mine off amazon. I'll let yas know what it's like when it arrives.

Got mine from amazon today. Not sure of the fit yet but it's reassuringly heavy and seems quite sturdy.

Got mine from amazon today. Not sure of the fit yet but it's reassuringly heavy and seems quite sturdy.

Good to know! Mine should arrive by Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭underachieved

When you get the chance you can join the AGS judo club. Great training in a great atmosphere!! Learn some good self defence skills too.

How much we talkin lads!?

Fit was perfect anyways. Put it on and immediately felt like a ninja. Sizes go by height and I'm exactly 180cm tall.

Cost 25.99 of the Queen's finest pounds:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?R=2RJNYCJHLR9W6&C=2PLWJIK85A5HM&H=XXAZEL31PAEEQBPGKL0NXZEKJYYA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB007XSALOW%2Fref%3Dpe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

Judo suit arrived in the post today. Pretty happy with it. Decent fit and sturdy.

Kind of excited to start now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

BRB wrote: »
    Judo suit arrived in the post today. Pretty happy with it. Decent fit and sturdy.

Kind of excited to start now.....

Would it be suitable for someone who is 6ft 3 do you think?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

I've borrowed a judo suit off someone who previously got it in the college, the brand is Kabuki for anyone looking. Are the trousers meant to be nearly 3/4 length?

Advertisement