Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 7 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Anyone care to guess when this will be coming out?

Highly likely around Q3/Q4 of this year. FR also got confirmed for EVO this year, which I think is all the more a good sign.

It's been confirmed that Akuma will have EX meter for T7. Some new costumes for the veteran characters are shown here also.

It's been confirmed that Akuma will have EX meter for T7. Some new costumes for the veteran characters are shown here also.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Looks like Tekken 7 will have more of a fireball zoning game than SF V :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Wow it's looking pretty interesting.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

They cut my beloved Marduk :( Guess I'll be using Gigas as my main (it's probably Marduk in a bizarre gimp suit anyways) and King as my second as per usual. Haven't played Tekken in about 6 years but I'm very excited about the next instalment in the series. Anyone going to be organizing tournies/casual sessions for the game when it comes out?

I haven't played in about 2 years myself but the new game looks good I think. Plenty of good characters to choose from and it looks gorgeous to boot.

The juggle system is also heavily nerfed by the looks of it, the stages are bigger too which should make wall carry less of a "thing" and 50/50 life & death mixups less annoying. Of course I haven't seen much so I'm just guessing based off one or two matches I've seen. :P

Who (from the old crowd) still reads this thread? Bob, Steven, Patrick, Mantys lol?... :pac:

Ya the new system looks pretty good. I have to say though, I don't like that they are bringing in Akuma (I hate SF lol) but we'll see how that goes. I regret not buying another PS3 for TTT2, do people still have sessions for this game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm planning to organize stuff for T7 when it comes out, hopefully have some people stick around from the new FG hype as well.

As of now, there hasn't really been much action for TTT2 in the last 1-2 years and some of us have moved over to SF5 completely.

The "life/death" 50/50 mixups only really applied to Julia/Kaz (wall) Anna/Capo/Lei/Rolex (open stage) and Paul/Leo/Jun (very specific spacing from wall + situational) and certain chars with balcony/wall breaks like Leo db41, Anna's db3+4,4. You only got put into those mixups if you really messed up tbh ie guessing wrong on the ground by teching into the mixup itself, put yourself in spacing for wardrums/hellsweep splat, not backdashing away from Rolex db3, Lei db4, Paul's demoman and so on. It's not so "50/50 vortex" as it seems as you would have to messing up a lot on a previous situation to be put into that mixup scenerio. You got options to take less damage to get out of it in most cases.

It's not too big of a deal in TTT2 tbh. The damage is still quite high in T7. I could even argue its easier to get "randomed" out in T7 than it is in TTT2 cuz you only have 1 lifebar with no tag crash available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Not really into SFV, might give Tekken a go when its out.. ill 100% be buying it anyways, beacuse its the most fun to play with people who aren't into fighting games.

Looked up a character tier list, and Gigas is at the the bottom. Doesn't bother me much as Marduk was always a lower-tier character. Just have to grind out in practice mode and learn everything there is to know about him. From watching Youtube, Knee uses him pretty effectively so I have to study his gameplay a lot more and try to adapt it into my own. It's gonna be weird not using Marduk anymore, I relied on his vts a lot to not only tackle, but to trick/confuse opponents into rushing me and countering or launching them. It was also excellent at creating space between me and my opponent, even though it got nerfed from T6 onwards. Marduk was actually a pretty good character to use if you knew what you were doing.

I believe Gigas actually got Marduk's VTS stance in T7:FR. Not 100% on that but it certainly would help him a lot.

Ye you're right he does, just checked a movelist vid on YT. He doesn't have the back dash variant though so I'm not sure how useful it will be. They could add it in at a later date maybe who knows. I still have hopes that Marduk (minus his new shiny metal gimp suit) will be playable on the console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Looking forward to T7! I haven't played Tekken regularly since after 10 months or that when TTT2 was released. There shouldn't be such a gap in between the games to hold myself and the gaming communities/casual players interest. Hopefully TR brings it a wider audience.

'm gonna cave in and buy a PS3 and TTT2 sometime this week. Does anyone still have any interest in playing it, or are you all waiting for T7?

'm gonna cave in and buy a PS3 and TTT2 sometime this week. Does anyone still have any interest in playing it, or are you all waiting for T7?
    I would if I was around Dublin now, but it'll have to wait till September likely. I'll be around for T7 though.

I would if I was around Dublin now, but it'll have to wait till September likely. I'll be around for T7 though.

I was going to wait for T7 myself, but I came across Von Doom's YT channel and saw that the Irish Tekken scene lives on and I wanted to become a part of it again.
    I quit the scene about 6 years ago when interest died out after the tournament I organized in DR. Quirkeys and no one seemed to want to play anymore.

I'm kicking myself that I missed a few tournaments since then as I love to play in them. Has godfistedkaz (Aaron) been active in the scene at all? He was a high level Mishima player. How about Gustav (a Polish Law player), Mantys or Patrick (The Witch)? We all used to go to Jeff's (Triademans) apartment and play sessions almost on a weekly basis back in the day.

Damn, we used to have a full roster of regular players using a wide variety of characters back in those days, is it the same now?

Last I was there (1.5 years ago) it was fairly good yeah. There were at lest 2-3 European level players and the other guys didn't need much work to catch up.

As far as variety of characters goes, most of us played at least 10 or so. There was only one Hwo player though, not sure where he is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

I was going to wait for T7 myself, but I came across Von Doom's YT channel and saw that the Irish Tekken scene lives on and I wanted to become a part of it again.
    I quit the scene about 6 years ago when interest died out after the tournament I organized in DR. Quirkeys and no one seemed to want to play anymore.

I'm kicking myself that I missed a few tournaments since then as I love to play in them. Has godfistedkaz (Aaron) been active in the scene at all? He was a high level Mishima player. How about Gustav (a Polish Law player), Mantys or Patrick (The Witch)? We all used to go to Jeff's (Triademans) apartment and play sessions almost on a weekly basis back in the day.

Damn, we used to have a full roster of regular players using a wide variety of characters back in those days, is it the same now?

Quirkeys doesn't even have the cab anymore, just a vanilla vf5 :(

Last I was there (1.5 years ago) it was fairly good yeah. There were at lest 2-3 European level players and the other guys didn't need much work to catch up.

As far as variety of characters goes, most of us played at least 10 or so. There was only one Hwo player though, not sure where he is now.

Good to know there are still people playing.

airmax87 wrote: »
    Quirkeys doesn't even have the cab anymore, just a vanilla vf5 :(

Lol, that's still there? I haven't been in Quirkeys in years but that cabinet must be almost 10 years old or thereabouts.

It's fairly inactive at the moment but I have hope for a big/active scene in T7.

Patrick is still around, not playing Tekken but he's active in other FGs. Haven't seen any of the others in TTT2 at all. Aaron made a few appearances throughout the years but never really stuck around. I've met Jeff/Triademan at Ultimate Tournament in 2014 and he's still kicking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think it's also safe to say that Fergus is now ranked 2nd best in Ireland after Simon Lau.

I never met Simon actually, where did he come from anyway? Was he around in your day Domonator?

Well I wouldn't say he's 100% better, we have traded a lot of sets in tournies and mains casual sets so it's always been really close. But it doesn't matter anymore since neither of us really play it anymore xd

@Eoin, he's from Belfast. Unsure of his previous tekken history but he has competed in an UK tourney abroad in DR and played some T6 as far as I know.

Definitely the best Wang and Pappi I've played ever

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't say he's 100% betteR

ZOMG THE DISRESPECT GUS CALLING SIMON OUT FIRST TO A MILLION LESS GOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

ZOMG THE DISRESPECT GUS CALLING SIMON OUT FIRST TO A MILLION LESS GOOOOOOO

Plz stahp, it already takes them about an hour to go FT5. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

They cut my beloved Marduk :( Guess I'll be using Gigas as my main

Just to drop some random tangents and trivia into the Tekken thread:
    I'm a big fan of portable gaming, and I really enjoyed having the 3DS port of Super Street Fighter 4 (when it was the most recent version) so that I could test stuff out in a portable fashion. Some lads might remember me testing stuff between pool matches in Cannes on my 3DS or on the bus or plane or wherever.

In this vein, I picked up Tekken 3D Prime Edition on 3DS a while back for cheap to try and maybe get a basic grasp of Tekken games/mechanics. Unfortunately it's an awful package with almost no content, but it looks like a totally faithful port of the Tekken 6 engine with a good character roster.

It seemed to me like the key to getting value out of it would be to only play with the characters that seemed the most likely to never be cut, and persist through all the future games. I thought that would give me a good starting ground on any future Tekkens I might want to get into.

He might not remember this, but years ago I asked Fergus to tell me which of the Tekken 3D Prime characters he thought would be the best to main, purely from a perspective of how likely they are to be in future game rosters. I know the Mishimas are obviously not going anywhere, but I wanted a wider pool than just them to choose from.

I noted his recommendations down on a spreadsheet, played around in Tekken 3D with them a bit and promptly forgot all about this.

Only now, when I see you lamenting the death of Marduk was I reminded to go and add the Tekken 7 characters to the document to see how accurate Fergus was in his predictions.

Gus%20tekken_zpslcn3djwk.png

Hopefully the length of that doesn't destroy the forums.

Tl;dr: Gus called Marduk's death

Advertisement