Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Nice claim about all your customers

Just thinking now if I was working for those shaggers I'd keep the fact that they are shaggers to myself and get on with it, there's no way I'd be out on a forum defending their honour. Nobody thinks these businesses are about anything but making money, they are not a charity for poor struggling innocent injured motorists at all. They'll get away with what they can for the shareholders and most of them are legally obliged to make as much money for their shareholders as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Just thinking now if I was working for those shaggers I'd keep the fact that they are shaggers to myself and get on with it, there's no way I'd be out on a forum defending their honour. Nobody thinks these businesses are about anything but making money, they are not a charity for poor struggling innocent injured motorists at all. They'll get away with what they can for the shareholders and most of them are legally obliged to make as much money for their shareholders as possible

If you were a wanna be shagger, you'd probably be online shilling that high insurance prices are necessary because Irish people are so devious, and we are all at it, and even the one's that aren't should pay more and more, and aviod all talk about dealing with the fraudsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Nice claim about all your customers

I don't have customers, I'm a PAYE employee and have been all my working life

I don't have customers, I'm a PAYE employee and have been all my working life

All businesses have customers. Did the organisation you work for not train you to respect customers instead of claiming they are all devious ?

That would explain a lot.

Nobody thinks these businesses are about anything but making money, they are not a charity for poor struggling innocent injured motorists at all. They'll get away with what they can for the shareholders and most of them are legally obliged to make as much money for their shareholders as possible

Sh1tbag finally gets it. Insurers are all about profit. Sometimes, in order to make profit, Insurers offer YOU a premium in the hope you'll fluck off, so they can make money on others.

How is this news to people?

• Advertisement

All businesses have customers. Did the organisation you work for not train you to respect customers instead of claiming they are all devious

Live in my shoes for a week and you will see that they majority of people who claim from insurers are devious.

Live in my shoes for a week and you will see that they majority of people who claim from insurers are devious.

Then the industry should deal with the fraudsters properly, instead of training you to claim that all Irish people are devious and therefore those that don't claim should also pay higher insurance prices, because the industry doesn't effectively deal with the fraudsters in the first place.

Then the industry should deal with the fraudsters properly, instead of training you to claim that all Irish people are devious and therefore those that don't claim should also pay higher insurance prices, because the industry doesn't effectively deal with the fraudsters in the first place.

Aaand we're back to my original post No. 836

Aaand we're back to my original post No. 836

I replied but you avoided the question, here it is again . . .
    Come up with the solution on how to go about that and any insurer in Ireland will guarantee you a 7 figure annual salary

To silence me, or to implement it like any other industry does ?

Instead the Irish insurance industry pays out to the fraudsters, does nothing to deter them, or spends any effort investigating or gathering evidence against them like the UK industry does, and penalises those who never make claims and calls them devious instead. Nice little earner.

Instead the Irish insurance industry pays out to the fraudsters, does nothing to deter them, or spends any effort investigating or gathering evidence against them like the UK industry does, and penalises those who never make claims and calls them devious instead. Nice little earner.

Bollocks

Every insurer, with the exception of FBD, who operate here also trades in the UK. Do you seriously think the Irish CEO's are given different directives by their peer?

• Advertisement

Bollocks

Every insurer, with the exception of FBD, who operate here also trades in the UK. Do you seriously think the Irish CEO's are given different directives by their peer?

Answer the question

Answer the question

The one about paying you a 7 figure salary to silence you or for you implementing the solution to the industry wide scourge of fraud that cost them many multiples of that each year?

Goodnight

Sh1tbag finally gets it. Insurers are all about profit. Sometimes, in order to make profit, Insurers offer YOU a premium in the hope you'll fluck off, so they can make money on others.

How is this news to people?

Never claimed to not get it. I hope they're looking after you for shilling them online.

So many companies that come in from abroad twist the rules to suit themselves and milk its for what its worth and they'll keep doing it until someone changes the rules. All they do is sell a little piece of paper to stick up in the windscreen for 400+ quid and pay out as little as possible when someone crashes, tis a license to print money and they're still complaining

Never claimed to not get it. I hope they're looking after you for shilling them online.

So many companies that come in from abroad twist the rules to suit themselves and milk its for what its worth and they'll keep doing it until someone changes the rules. All they do is sell a little piece of paper to stick up in the windscreen for 400+ quid and pay out as little as possible when someone crashes, tis a license to print money and they're still complaining

They don't mind paying out to the scammers at all though, while constantly increasing the premium and doubly fleecing the people who never claim, because there's more money in that, while claiming all Irish people are devious.

They don't mind paying out to the scammers at all though, while constantly increasing the premium and doubly fleecing the people who never claim, because there's more money in that, while claiming all Irish people are devious.

Each time they increase their payouts their premiums rise proportionally and so do their profits. A few scammers changes nothing, they are just dealing in bigger numbers now. Maybe some boardsies should group together and create an invite-only insurance scheme and only invite people who won't crash their cars on purpose.

How many brown envelopes does it take to become a licensed piece of paper for the windscreen issuer these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd be interested to see the company results that show the money they are making off motor insurance lads.

Ye seem awfully sure that they are creaming it so presumably ye either know the financial controllers of these companies or you are basing this on the financial results they have released.

A bit of proof to your points would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Do windscreen replacement claims effect premium quotes?

If you made a claim for windscreen replacement and you where fully covered
    for windscreen replacement under your policy would that effect your quotes for next year, in theory NO right?

Keplar240B wrote: »

for windscreen replacement under your policy would that effect your quotes for next year, in theory NO right?

No. It will likely show up on your letter of no claims but it wont have any effect on your NCB.

For those that are beating the drum about insurers making a killing on motor policies, heres some information that would say otherwise.

Collective losses of €234m in 2013.

Motor insurance continues to be unprofitable.

More information on losses suffered in general.

Not exactly in line with some of the claims on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

No. It will likely show up on your letter of no claims but it wont have any effect on your NCB.

It will show up on the letter.

It may affect premium. When you read the small print of various insurers you'll find things like "2 windscreen claims in 5 years" is acceptable, or "1 in last 3 years" or whatever. It's a bit arbitrary, but if you're getting lot of windscreen claims the insurers will eventually pay attention to what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

As a follow up to my earlier posts about the 72% increase I was facing. I got the renewal in the post and sure enough its for 502 up from 280, I was checking all the extras I have and I had them all, when I paid last year my quote was 280, I added all the extras in and the quote was still 280, this year, the extras are broke down individually on the policy and priced individually. Anyway just been on the phone with them and I still have my full NCB (NCD) it says now (after my 7k payout for a new engine), and I removed open driving but kept NCB protection etc and have been issued with a new quote of 290, I could remove other extras I have like Journeywise accident cover (€12), step back ncd (€34) Protected ncd (€78.75) but the minimum policy amount is 280 so no point removing them.

Fair play, but €280 is a stupidly low price for motor insurance and is not sustinable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

As a follow up to my earlier posts about the 72% increase I was facing. I got the renewal in the post and sure enough its for 502 up from 280, I was checking all the extras I have and I had them all, when I paid last year my quote was 280, I added all the extras in and the quote was still 280, this year, the extras are broke down individually on the policy and priced individually. Anyway just been on the phone with them and I still have my full NCB (NCD) it says now (after my 7k payout for a new engine), and I removed open driving but kept NCB protection etc and have been issued with a new quote of 290, I could remove other extras I have like Journeywise accident cover (€12), step back ncd (€34) Protected ncd (€78.75) but the minimum policy amount is 280 so no point removing them.

Good on you

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Fair play, but €280 is a stupidly low price for motor insurance and is not sustinable
    why would you say that?
    might as well say €2.00 is a stupidly low price for a lottery ticket.
    Depending on the overall risk being insured, it might be a reasonable price or even a high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's a fairly broad-sweeping assertion. Surely that would all depend on the specific risk-profile, would it not? Thus, it could possibly range from "money for old rope", for a risk of zero or approaching it, to "You must be chuffing-well joking, mate!" for a 19-year-old in a 'Felty A4 with his mother's learner permit. Unless... insurance companies just pull premium figures from mid-air with surprisingly little regard for the actual risk in question. :D

Well other than the claim because of the bogey fuel, I am claim free for over 20 years, rural area, low mileage, 1.0 ltr 141 car, so I would say I am fairly low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Keplar240B wrote: »

Some companies won't quote if you have over 2 windscreen claims within a certain time period- Majority it doens't make any difference - I'd say it's going to become the norm within a few years - Doesn't affect your no claims bonus though.

Well other than the claim because of the bogey fuel, I am claim free for over 20 years, rural area, low mileage, 1.0 ltr 141 car, so I would say I am fairly low risk.

You've just confirmed my point. You are a low risk motorist, yet 20 years worth of premiums at €280 would not cover the unfortunate incident you had. You did not cause the loss, but the insurers still had to write the cheque.

Insurance is not just about taking out what you put in to it, it is about pooling the good, the bad and the ugly and paying the claims out of the collective kitty.

You've just confirmed my point. You are a low risk motorist, yet 20 years worth of premiums at €280 would not cover the unfortunate incident you had. You did not cause the loss, but the insurers still had to write the cheque.

Insurance is not just about taking out what you put in to it, it is about pooling the good, the bad and the ugly and paying the claims out of the collective kitty.

That is true but I didn't always pay 280, my first insurance with pmpa was 1760 punts, for the first 2 years, that was on a car i paid 950 for so 3.5k in the first 2 years then it dropped by 1000 when I moved to the bog.

• Advertisement

That is true but I didn't always pay 280, my first insurance with pmpa was 1760 punts, for the first 2 years, that was on a car i paid 950 for so 3.5k in the first 2 years then it dropped by 1000 when I moved to the bog.

Fair enough, but I'll phrase it another. There is a lot of mucky fuel out there at the moment and it would take 24 years of someone paying your new premium to cover the cost of a similar claim you made.

If an excellent motorist is unfortunate enough to injure someone leading to a €50k payout for replacement car, injuries and legal costs, it would take 172 years of paying €290 for the insurer to break even

OR

172 fellow motorists getting through the year with out as much as a replacement windscreen being incurred.

Advertisement