Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father says his raped "sex mad" 11 year old was "fully up for the experience"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Feminists will probably go to town on this.......wait.

She's should be locked up. Even taking into account an immature age- say she was 17? You know the difference between right & wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Shouldn't she be on the sex offender's register forever? Why only seven years?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

That father should never have access to that child again. Absolute scum.

And that judge should never be allowed anywhere near a courtroom again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

How can a 20 year old woman be attracted to an ELEVEN year old boy and not be branded a paedophile. She's sick.

People can say niiiiiiicccccccce on his behalf all they want, when I was a young teenager I fancied random adult Popstars well older than me, so I get why he may have been caught up in it all but for her to want to have sex with an immature little boy...jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

She got a suspended sentence and will be registered on the sex offenders list for the next 7 years. That's not getting away with it, that's an incredibly lenient sentence.

Yes it is. You know damn well what people mean when they say she "got away with it" in the context of such a serious offense. She may not have got scott free, but it's almost as good as and that qualifies as getting away with it. If I rob a bank and get a million euro and only get a suspended sentence, are you telling me it wouldn't apt to say I had gotten away with it? I bet you a million fcuking dollars if a man had walked away with a suspended sentence for raping an 11 year old girl you wouldn't be on here correcting anyone that said that HE got away with it.
    The circumstances of that case aren't at all similar to the case in the OP, there are some similarities between the two cases but..

The cases aren't at all similar.. but there are some similarities? What?

Make up your mind.
    ...having read the whole article, the gender of the perpetrator wasn't the only difference at all.

Here is what you asked for:
    If you can find me a case with similar circumstances (I'm even being generous in asking for similar and not the exact same circumstances) with only the genders reversed as the intrinsic difference between the two, then I'll accept your point.

In both cases an 11 year old was raped.
    In both cases the rapist was considered immature.

You asked for similarities with the genders reversed. You got it.

In fact, the man at the centre of that case was only 15 at the time and there is no question regarding his mental capacity. If anything he should have got more understanding from the court, but yet he got 4 years.
    Of course there's a gender discrepancy between genders with regard to the sentencing handed down for rape and sexual abuse of children in the UK, but what's actually more important as far as I'm concerned, is not the gender of the perpetrator, or the victim, but the leniency of the sentencing handed down. That's actually what needs to be addressed more urgently IMO.

Well, your opinion is wrong and by the way, asking for case where only the genders are reversed and refusing to take someone's point until you are presented with one, is implying that no such bias exists, so not sure why you are now suggesting you don't hold that opinion when it's patently clear that you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

orubiru wrote: »
    To be honest, when I was a young lad I think I would have been, to some degree, thinking I was a legend if I had managed to have any remotely sexual encounter with a woman.

I don't think too many lads beyond their late teens would be gladly telling their new partner about that time they had sex with your dad's ex when they were 11. I don't think too many of your future partners would be high fiving you when they hear the story.

Ultimately, I think it becomes a traumatic experience because when you grow up you come to realize that what happened to you when you were 11 was actually really wrong. When all the other folks are talking about their "first time" or whatever you're gonna come to the realization that you were used and abused by people who were responsible for your protection.

It's not good.

This gets passed around a fair bit, but it's often relevant. It is a monologue performed by an actor, but it was written by him because he actually experienced it. It's incredibly sad; really shows how it might effect a young fella from the very start and how he couldn't really let on otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes it is. You know damn well what people mean when they say she "got away with it" in the context of such a serious offense. She may not have got scott free, but it's almost as good as and that qualifies as getting away with it. If I rob a bank and get a million euro and only get a suspended sentence, are you telling me it wouldn't apt to say I had gotten away with it?

Well it wouldn't obviously, because you wouldn't have gotten away with it. You know how suspended sentences work - they're a sentence handed down, but suspended under certain conditions - break the conditions within the time period set, you'll serve that sentence.

I bet you a million fcuking dollars if a man had walked away with a suspended sentence for raping an 11 year old girl you wouldn't be on here correcting anyone that said that HE got away with it.

Your million dollars is safe until that actually happens.

The cases aren't at all similar.. but there are some similarities? What?

Make up your mind.

You know there's a difference between those two things, let's not play stupid here.

Here is what you asked for:

In both cases an 11 year old was raped.
    In both cases the rapist was considered immature.

You asked for similarities with the genders reversed. You got it.

No, I asked for similar cases with the genders reversed as the intrinsic difference. The circumstances in the case you linked to were a lot more than simple gender reversal.

In fact, the man at the centre of that case was only 15 at the time and there is no question regarding his mental capacity. If anything he should have got more understanding from the court, but yet he got 4 years.

Fcuk that tbh, I'd sooner see anyone who abuses a child serve the maximum sentence, regardless of their gender. Otherwise what's the bloody point of maximum sentences if nobody who is convicted is ever made to serve them?

Well, your opinion is wrong and by the way, asking for case where only the genders are reversed and refusing to take someone's point until you are presented with one, is implying that no such bias exists, so not sure why you are now suggesting you don't hold that opinion when it's patently clear that you do.

Well, your opinion of my opinion is wrong.

That's not very useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Noobas2

orubiru wrote: »
    I don't think too many lads beyond their late teens would be gladly telling their new partner about that time they had sex with your dad's ex when they were 11. I don't think too many of your future partners would be high fiving you when they hear the story.

This is it, theres just as much adult female on young male sex going on as the opposite scenario. All the women feel they were robbed of something while the lads quietly think of it as a conquest especially if it was with their mom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

This gets passed around a fair bit, but it's often relevant. It is a monologue performed by an actor, but it was written by him because he actually experienced it. It's incredibly sad; really shows how it might effect a young fella from the very start and how he couldn't really let on otherwise.

Very, very powerful. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Damn, he got fcked by his Dad too. I feel bad for the kid.

• Advertisement

Well it wouldn't obviously, because you wouldn't have gotten away with it. You know how suspended sentences work - they're a sentence handed down, but suspended under certain conditions - break the conditions within the time period set, you'll serve that sentence.

Yeah, we all know how suspended sentences work, the point is that when someone gets a non-custodial sentence for such a serious crime, a suspended sentence is in essence 'getting away with it'. Your just nit-picking for the sake of it as you know damn well the point that is being made when someone says that in this context. It's an idiom, not to be taken literally, but sure come back and tell us that she got a suspended sentence again if you want.
    You know there's a difference between those two things, let's not play stupid here.

Do you ever admit when you're wrong? You said:
    The circumstances of that case aren't at all similar to the case in the OP, there are some similarities between the two cases but..

You're trying to tell me there is no contradiction in that statement? And you tell others not to play stupid! :p

Yeah, we all know how suspended sentences work, the point is that when someone gets a non-custodial sentence for such a serious crime, a suspended sentence is in essence 'getting away with it'. Your just nit-picking for the sake of it as you know damn well the point that is being made when someone says that in this context. It's an idiom, not to be taken literally, but sure come back and tell us that she got a suspended sentence again if you want.

All I can do is assure you that I'm not just nit-picking for the sake of it. It drives me barmy when tabloid rags like the DM claim in their headlines that someone "walked free" or whatever, and buried in the small print in the article is the fact that they received a suspended sentence. It's even worse when a poster suggests in their opening post that the person commits a crime and gets away with it, because it's just not true, and I'd rather see the fact that they got a suspended sentence acknowledged, and criticised for the leniency of the actual sentence.

EDIT: The point I'm making is that I have no interest in the 'if the genders were reversed' bollocksology - a child was the victim of a rape or sexual assault, and the perpetrator only received a suspended sentence. That for me, is the most important thing that should be focused on, rather than 'ohh if the genders were reversed, this would happen', etc.

Do you ever admit when you're wrong? You said:

You're trying to tell me there is no contradiction in that statement? And you tell others not to play stupid! :p

I'm not sure what's causing you difficulty there, I asked for similar cases, not cases where only one or two similarities can be drawn but the overall circumstances are completely different.

As I said, I can pull up numerous cases where the perpetrator was an adult male who received a suspended sentence upon conviction, so this idea that it's as simple as if the genders were reversed, the certainty that an adult male would have done time for the same crime in the same circumstances, is nonsense.

I don't think you'll find too many cases either where a father claimed his 11 year old daughter was well up for being raped by a 20 year old male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

From the article:
    The boy was laying down, Jade Hatt sat on top of him, sat astride him, took off her clothes and removed his.
    'Sexual intercourse took place. According to him it was fairly brief - about 45 seconds. She told him she enjoyed it, he said he had not as it was wrong.'

Yeah right, a 'sex mad' boy, seeing it as a 'notch on his belt.'

Disgusting and disgraceful on the part of the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭tritium

I guess there are a few different issues at play here, and sometimes its hard to disentangle how much focus should go on each.

Most obviously we have a judge who is frankly an embarrassment. Usually I try to avoid joining the pitchfork mob wrt sentencing on the basis that you may not know all the facts that weighed into that sentence. Fortunately the judge here provided a lot of this in his summation, and on the back of that should hand in his wig with his head hung in shame

There's of course the question of severity of sentencing for sex crimes generally. While averages would seem to indicate that light sentencing isn't the norm there are some pretty appealing outliers nonetheless, and a fair question would be if there should be minimum tariffs applied to such crimes

There's also a question of how society views female sex offenders. Outcomes like this serve to trivialise the issue, for example in any official sentencing statistics this will be aggregated into a category far less serious than what actually happened, and inevitably this will serve to downplay the severity associated. It would also seem to tally with a lot of research around severity of sentences by gender.

And finally there's also the father in this case, and a pretty significant question as to how fit for purpose a creature who downplays the abuse of his child in court actually is....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

^ Compared with what the sentence would have been were the genders flipped (and don't kid yourselves if you honestly believe there wouldn't be a difference), it is indeed "getting away with it". A guy would have done time.
    Considering it's ireland, I'm not convinced anymore
    Didn't one of our judges make some "she knew what she was at" comment about an underage girl before?
    Maybe I'm confusing it with this fellow in the usa http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/08/30/judge-says-14-year-old-was-in-control-when-she-was-raped-by-adult-teacher/

The "nice" comments aren't helping either.

It is a case of a child who was raped and it's awful, regardless
    can't believe the dad's comments if they were true

tritium wrote: »
    I guess there are a few different issues at play here, and sometimes its hard to disentangle how much focus should go on each.

Most obviously we have a judge who is frankly an embarrassment. Usually I try to avoid joining the pitchfork mob wrt sentencing on the basis that you may not know all the facts that weighed into that sentence. Fortunately the judge here provided a lot of this in his summation, and on the back of that should hand in his wig with his head hung in shame

There's of course the question of severity of sentencing for sex crimes generally. While averages would seem to indicate that light sentencing isn't the norm there are some pretty appealing outliers nonetheless, and a fair question would be if there should be minimum tariffs applied to such crimes

There's also a question of how society views female sex offenders. Outcomes like this serve to trivialise the issue, for example in any official sentencing statistics this will be aggregated into a category far less serious than what actually happened, and inevitably this will serve to downplay the severity associated. It would also seem to tally with a lot of research around severity of sentences by gender.

And finally there's also the father in this case, and a pretty significant question as to how fit for purpose a creature who downplays the abuse of his child in court actually is....

Brilliantly worded tritium tbh, and just on that last bit regarding the father in this case - I'm reminded of the thread we had recently where the mother was charged with failing to protect her children from her abusive ex-boyfriend, and even frustrated the prosecution case to the point where they had to make a deal with her ex-boyfriend. She was sentenced to 30 years, and I think there's something to be said for a sentence like that, that could be applied here.

I'd have said the same regardless of the gender of the parent or guardian in any case where they failed or actually neglected to protect their children from abuse of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The whole family would seem ideal candidates for a Jeremy Kyle special.

I just can't believe the father, what a gift to humanity he is.

It drives me barmy when tabloid rags like the DM claim in their headlines that someone "walked free" or whatever, and buried in the small print in the article is the fact that they received a suspended sentence.

If they only received a suspended sentence...... then they did "walk free".
    It's even worse when a poster suggests in their opening post that the person commits a crime and gets away with it, because it's just not true, and I'd rather see the fact that they got a suspended sentence acknowledged, and criticised for the leniency of the actual sentence.

The OP linked to an article which made it very clear the woman got a suspended sentence.
    The point I'm making is that I have no interest in the 'if the genders were reversed' bollocksology

So what if you have no interest in it? How the hell does your lack of "interest" make a point an invalid one exactly? One Eyed Jack has no time for anyone who points out that women tend to get lenient sentences for raping kids in comparison to men, it's bollocksology, and so what should we all do now then? Never mention it again just because you have no time for it? You haven't even posted anything of substance to back up your position that it's 'bollocksology'. You seem to think referring to it as such is argument enough. If your opinions were chocolate you'd ate them.

Thankfully however, the appeal court in the UK is starting to wake up to the fact that women are walking free for sexual crimes when they shouldn't be and have brought them back to court and jailed them. Here are three recent ones:
    Kelly Jane Richards (36)
    Initially given two-year suspended sentence for sex with 15-year-old:
    Court of Appeal jailed her for two-and-a-half years.
    Caroline Salisbury (28)
    Initially given two-year suspended sentence for sex with 14-year-old:
    Court of Appeal jailed her for three-years.
    Karen Ackland (44)
    Initially given nine month suspended sentence for sex with 14-year-old:
    Court of Appeal jailed her for two-years.

Course, are judges really to blame when they have been told this kind of crap by the British Judicial Studies Board.

Course, I suppose it's all still just bollocksology, right.

If they only received a suspended sentence...... then they did "walk free".

No they did not, and no amount of inverted commas will make that statement a fact.

The OP linked to an article which made it very clear the woman got a suspended sentence.

We'll have to agree to differ on just how clear the linked article, let alone the opening post, makes it clear the woman was given a suspended sentence.

So what if you have no interest in it? How the hell does your lack of "interest" make a point an invalid one exactly? One Eyed Jack has no time for anyone who points out that women tend to get lenient sentences for raping kids in comparison to men, it's bollocksology, and so what should we all do now then? Never mention it again just because you have no time for it? You haven't even posted anything of substance to back up your position that it's 'bollocksology'. You seem to think referring to it as such is argument enough. If your opinions were chocolate you'd ate them.

Mention it all you like, scream it from the rooftops for all I care, for all the good you think it'll do. It still won't stop me, or anyone else, from questioning the validity of your claims when you seem perfectly willing to ignore the number of men who receive lenient sentences for sex crimes. That's the point your argument falls apart on, the assumption of what would happen, when all the evidence suggests otherwise. The evidence you're choosing to ignore as it doesn't suit your argument.

If you're going to claim I'm biased, I'd respectfully suggest you examine your own biases first.

Thankfully however, the appeal court in the UK is starting to wake up to the fact that women are walking free for sexual crimes when they shouldn't be and have brought them back to court and jailed them. Here are three recent ones:

You seem to have formed a concrete impression that I give a shìte for the gender of the perpetrator. I don't. Don't let that stop you ignoring what I've said many times before already though, but fwiw, those sentences are still too lenient IMO.

Course, are judges really to blame when they have been told this kind of crap by the British Judicial Studies Board.

Course, I suppose it's all still just bollocksology, right.

Yes, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Posters with more than a casual knowledge of case law here obviously. I'm sure that given the obvious training and access to record they have they could quantify and compare sentences in cases of illegal sexual relations between opposite sexes involving those victims legally classed as children on the basis of gender of the convicted over, say, a 20 year period. Should settle the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

bluewolf wrote: »
    can't believe the dad's comments if they were true

Sure the dad had a relationship with this apparent immature 20 year old. How old was she then I wonder?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Just read the story. Yer one is a complete freak. He was 11 years old, he probably hadn't begun to go through puberty. She had sex with a pre-pubescent child ffs.

And that line by the dad, "he was fully up for the experience" , such a load of arse. The state of her, the child will probably be scarred for life having to relive the memories of her flopping up and down on top of him.

What a weird, disturbing story. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Controversial opinion and all that, but putting this specific case to one side for a moment, I don't think it's as bad for an older female to have sex with an underage lad as it is for an older man to have sex with an underage girl. 11 is obviously ridiculous and disgusting, but I know loads of lads who I grew up with who actively chased older woman when they were 14/15 and on many occasions either got their hole with them or at least got a shift. Sometimes the gap could be 10/15 years.

If someone at that time (or now) told me that a guy of 30 had got off with a 14/15 year old female friend I'd have been disgusted.

I think a lot of comes down to the perceived idea of who was doing the chasing. It also the reason why when you read these stories that crop up every now and again of a schoolboy having an affair with his teacher a lot of lads will react to say he was a legend because most of us growing up had a teacher we'd have been up like a rat up a drainpipe given half a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

At least the kid didn't get charged with rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yes, teenage boys fantasise about sex with older women/teenage girls fantasise about sex with older men, but none of those older women and men should take advantage of teenage fantasies.
    jungleman wrote: »
    Just read the story. Yer one is a complete freak. He was 11 years old, he probably hadn't begun to go through puberty. She had sex with a pre-pubescent child ffs.

And that line by the dad, "he was fully up for the experience" , such a load of arse. The state of her, the child will probably be scarred for life having to relive the memories of her flopping up and down on top of him.

What a weird, disturbing story. :(
    How she looks is hardly such a pressing concern.
    I know a guy who's absolutely scarred after an attractive older woman kept molesting him when he was a young fella.

What a depraved story this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Even if it were true, what has that got to do with the case? And coming from the father. I honestly can't imagine an 11 year old girl being described like that after being raped by a man. Especially from a parent. There'd be murder if it happened. Loose Women would have a special. Yet it seems to have pretty much gone unreported when it's said of a boy, barring a few of the usual articles which will soone disappear. Nothing in the nature of the reaction to Chrissie Hynde's recent comments anyway.

This is exactly why the prevailing "Men are all inherently sexual beasts" and "Women are locks, not keys" crap that's coming out of the States is so damaging, to both genders.

It puts men (or boys, in this case) in the role of perpetual horndogs who will take sex in any circumstances and an 11-year-old child who is sexually abused by an older woman should somehow feel thankful for it.

Likewise, all women are automatically placed in positions of not really knowing any better, to the point where an adult woman can rape a male child and it not really be seen as a big deal.

This is where third/fourth wave feminism and ultra-macho thought processes have brought us. It's grossly unfair to both genders and the saddest part is that both extremes of the divide will learn absolutely nothing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No they did not, and no amount of inverted commas will make that statement a fact.

Was a custodial sentence imposed? Did she walk out of the court? If she walked out of the court and went home because a custodial sentence was not imposed then she did walk free. 'Don't rape any more children for six months' is not a punishment; it's barely a slap on the wrist.
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    This is exactly why the prevailing "Men are all inherently sexual beasts" and "Women are locks, not keys" crap that's coming out of the States is so damaging, to both genders.

It puts men (or boys, in this case) in the role of perpetual horndogs who will take sex in any circumstances and an 11-year-old child who is sexually abused by an older woman should somehow feel thankful for it.

Likewise, all women are automatically placed in positions of not really knowing any better, to the point where an adult woman can rape a male child and it not really be seen as a big deal.

This is where third/fourth wave feminism and ultra-macho thought processes have brought us. It's grossly unfair to both genders and the saddest part is that both extremes of the divide will learn absolutely nothing from it.

I disagree; the 'all men/boys love sex and always want to have sex with any woman' is as, if not more, prevalent amongst men than women. I don't see any women on this thread saying 'nicccccccce'.

kylith wrote: »
    Was a custodial sentence imposed? Did she walk out of the court? If she walked out of the court and went home because a custodial sentence was not imposed then she did walk free. 'Don't rape any more children for six months' is not a punishment; it's barely a slap on the wrist.

No, she didn't walk free -

A six-month jail term suspended for two years with supervision was imposed and Hatt was told she must register as a sex offender for seven years. Mousley also imposed a sexual harm prevention order banning her from having unsupervised contact with young boys for two years.

Source: The Guardian

She received a ridiculously lenient sentence, and that's the fact which should be acknowledged and criticised. The sentence itself is a farce for the crime committed, and it was even worse that the judge took the account by the father into consideration in determining sentencing.

It wasn't simply because of the fact she is a woman that she received such a lenient sentence, there were other factors involved also.

That's why the 'reverse the genders' crap is nothing more than simplistic bullshìt whataboutery that takes the focus off the fact that a child was abused and the perpetrator was given a lenient sentence when the sentencing for adults who commit sex crimes against children should be much tougher, regardless of the gender of the perpetrator or the victim.

Did they amputate her legs along with the suspended sentence?

No. Well, then she walked free.
    We'll have to agree to differ on just how clear the linked article.. makes it clear the woman was given a suspended sentence.

Seems quite clear to me:

https://twitter.com/MrNachoBusiness/status/651549520602509312

..fwiw, those sentences are still too lenient IMO.

Well, if you think they are lenient, how's about this woman who raped an 8 year old boy 50 times and only got 2 years. Or how about this woman who tried to have sex with her ten year old pupil, got his name tattoo'd on his chest and walked free. Although you might not like that last one as the paper says she "walked free" but in fact was given a community order. Damn tabloids, eh.
    Yes, it is.

Eh, no, it's not.

• Advertisement

Eh, no, it's not.

No point in addressing the rest of it, I'll just clarify this bit. Yes that is bollocksology. At least that much we can agree on.

Advertisement