Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father says his raped "sex mad" 11 year old was "fully up for the experience"

Options
  • 05-10-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Adult woman has sex with 11 year old boy and get away with it .

"Hatt was arrested and pleaded guilty to sexual activity with a child, saying that the boy had told her he was 15 even though his father had previously told her his real age."

"
    Judge Tim Mousley QC said that the case was so exceptional that he could go beyond the usual sentencing guidelines.
    He said: 'Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you.' "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

What does that have to do with equality?
    Judge did not mention her sex in determining the sentence...he mentioned her mental age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The boy's father, who is also Hatt's ex-lover, claimed his son was 'fully up for this experience' as he pleaded for the babysitter to be spared jail over the 45-second sexual encounter.

Seems like a classy family, anyway, can you imagine if it were a 21 year old bloke and 11 year old girl ?

Murder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jeez what a "family" the dad should be doing a bit of time as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

play4fun1 wrote: »
    Adult woman has sex with 11 year old boy and get away with it .

According to the same article, Hatt didn't get away with anything -

Hatt was given a six-month suspended prison sentence, ordered to register as a sex offender for seven years, and banned from having unsupervised contact with young boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ Compared with what the sentence would have been were the genders flipped (and don't kid yourselves if you honestly believe there wouldn't be a difference), it is indeed "getting away with it". A guy would have done time.

• Advertisement

^ Compared with what the sentence would have been were the genders flipped (and don't kid yourselves if you honestly believe there wouldn't be a difference), it is indeed "getting away with it". A guy would have done time.

If you can find me a case with similar circumstances (I'm even being generous in asking for similar and not the exact same circumstances) with only the genders reversed as the intrinsic difference between the two, then I'll accept your point.

I can point to numerous cases where men have received suspended sentences for similar circumstances. I'm not arguing at all that there wouldn't be any difference, because the law isn't gender blind, nor has it ever claimed to be or aspired to be gender blind.

I don't have a problem with that. My issue is with the leniency of the sentencing in these cases. I don't particularly care for sentiments like anyone 'got away' with anything, when they clearly didn't. The issue is that the sentencing for these crimes against children is far too lenient, regardless of the gender of the perpetrator, or the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Menas wrote: »
    What does that have to do with equality?
    Judge did not mention her sex in determining the sentence...he mentioned her mental age!

If it was a male adult and a female child, it would have been a completely different outcome.

But feel free to pretend otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I was a foot taller I could have played basketball for Ireland.

True story.

DareGod wrote: »
    If it was a male adult and a female child, it would have been a completely different outcome.

But it seems to be ok for you to pretend that would be the case, when quite frankly, nobody can actually say with any certainty what the outcome of any hypothetical case would be! Are you trying to suggest that men who have committed similar crimes against children have never received suspended sentences?

That would be completely untrue if that's what you're trying to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Penn

DareGod wrote: »

No one is claiming otherwise. The point is that "Equality" isn't the issue. If anything, the lack of equality is the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Niccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce

An 11 year old child was raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

If you can find me a case with similar circumstances (I'm even being generous in asking for similar and not the exact same circumstances) with only the genders reversed as the intrinsic difference between the two, then I'll accept your point.

I can point to numerous cases where men have received suspended sentences for similar circumstances. I'm not arguing at all that there wouldn't be any difference, because the law isn't gender blind, nor has it ever claimed to be or aspired to be gender blind.

I don't have a problem with that. My issue is with the leniency of the sentencing in these cases. I don't particularly care for sentiments like anyone 'got away' with anything, when they clearly didn't. The issue is that the sentencing for these crimes against children is far too lenient, regardless of the gender of the perpetrator, or the victim.
    And even if you were to find a similar case a different judge could be the cause of any sentence disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The dad's comment about his CHILD are what is really unbelievable about this and you have to wonder how much that affected the sentence. What kind of parent defends the paedophile who rapes their child??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Tommy Kay The DJ

If genders were reversed there would be complete uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

No they weren't, not legally anyway.

They were sexually abused.

eviltwin wrote: »
    The dad's comment about his CHILD are what is really unbelievable about this and you have to wonder how much that affected the sentence. What kind of parent defends the paedophile who rapes their child??!!

The kind of parent who was had a relationship with the perpetrator themselves, the kind of parent who says their own child was fully up for it -

The boy's father, who is also Hatt's ex-lover, claimed his son was 'fully up for this experience' as he pleaded for the babysitter to be spared jail over the 45-second sexual encounter.

Unfortunately, being an utter scumbag isn't a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Niccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce

I hate to focus the "double standard" topic of this thread, given the appalling nature of the entire situation, but would anyone dare post a comment like this if this story was about a 21 year old man having sex with an 11 year old girl?

Would this post be held up as a concrete example of rape culture?

When a poster, with 2,431 posts, thinks that this is an appropriate response to the sexual abuse of an 11 year old, then I think we have a problem.

Even if the poster doesn't think of it as really being rape, or really being so bad or violent or whatever, you still have to wonder why they think that this is perfect response to a situation like this.

I can't understand the motivation for posting something like this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

orubiru wrote: »
    I hate to focus the "double standard" topic of this thread, given the appalling nature of the entire situation, but would anyone dare post a comment like this if this story was about a 21 year old man having sex with an 11 year old girl?

When a poster, with 2,431 posts, thinks that this is an appropriate response to the sexual abuse of an 11 year old, then I think we have a problem.

Even if the poster doesn't think of it as really being rape, or really being so bad or violent or whatever, you still have to wonder why they think that this is perfect response to a situation like this.

Unfortunately there will be a lot of people who should know better whose first thought will be that this kid is a legend or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ah, the craythur

Ya don't watch south park so I suppose?

• Advertisement

Ya don't watch south park so I suppose?

If your comment was satire then I apologize for misunderstanding or misrepresenting you.

If your comment was satire then I apologize for misunderstanding or misrepresenting you.

Feck it looks like I'm after stumbling into the one of the rare thoroughly serious AH threads by mistake so I'll let the rest of ye carry on with the outrage and I'll be on my way

eviltwin wrote: »
    Unfortunately there will be a lot of people who should know better whose first thought will be that this kid is a legend or something

To be honest, when I was a young lad I think I would have been, to some degree, thinking I was a legend if I had managed to have any remotely sexual encounter with a woman.

I don't think too many lads beyond their late teens would be gladly telling their new partner about that time they had sex with your dad's ex when they were 11. I don't think too many of your future partners would be high fiving you when they hear the story.

Ultimately, I think it becomes a traumatic experience because when you grow up you come to realize that what happened to you when you were 11 was actually really wrong. When all the other folks are talking about their "first time" or whatever you're gonna come to the realization that you were used and abused by people who were responsible for your protection.

It's not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

This reads like a story from the Onion. What in the tarnation is going on in the UK with the courts and female rapists.

What does "arithmetic" age gap even mean? Wouldn't "age gap" have sufficed?

This boy should be taken into care and the judge removed from his position.

"Sex mad" ? "Up for the experience" ?

Even if it were true, what has that got to do with the case? And coming from the father. I honestly can't imagine an 11 year old girl being described like that after being raped by a man. Especially from a parent. There'd be murder if it happened. Loose Women would have a special. Yet it seems to have pretty much gone unreported when it's said of a boy, barring a few of the usual articles which will soone disappear. Nothing in the nature of the reaction to Chrissie Hynde's recent comments anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

According to the same article, Hatt didn't get away with anything -

Yes she did. She got a suspended sentence for raping an 11 year old boy.
    That's getting away with it.

Here you go:
    Teenager who raped 11-year-old locked up for four years

Collis, described as immature with a low IQ level, was found guilty by a jury following a trial.

Today, Judge John Pini QC, passing sentence, told him “It must have been absolutely obvious that the girl was the sort of age she was and absolutely obvious to you that she was not consenting.”

The Judge told Collis that his time in a young offenders’ institution had been reduced because Collis was himself only 15 when the offence took place and sentencing guidelines required him to give a lesser sentence than would have been imposed on an adult male for the same offence.

Adam Pearson, defending, said his client has a low IQ and is on disability living allowance as a result of being diagnosed with “conduct disorder”.

“He is not intelligent. Although he may have been very nearly 16 at the time his behaviour and emotional maturity relate to someone much younger than that.”

Quite frankly, OEJ, you must have your head in the sand if you can't see that there is major gender discrepancy with regards to the sentences (or the lack of them) being handed down for the rape and sexual abuse of children in the UK, but sure carrying on pretending there isn't if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Following on from what ****ebagotoole said... Niccccceeeee.

The father should be beaten with iron bars.

How could you look at your child and know you robbed him of his innocence.

Yes she did. She got a suspended sentence for raping an 11 year old boy.
    That's getting away with it.

She got a suspended sentence and will be registered on the sex offenders list for the next 7 years. That's not getting away with it, that's an incredibly lenient sentence.

Here you go:

The circumstances of that case aren't at all similar to the case in the OP, there are some similarities between the two cases, but having read the whole article, the gender of the perpetrator wasn't the only difference at all.

Quite frankly, OEJ, you must have your head in the sand if you can't see that there is major gender discrepancy with regards to the sentences (or the lack of them) being handed down for the rape and sexual abuse of children in the UK, but sure carrying on pretending there isn't if you wish.

Of course there's a gender discrepancy between genders with regard to the sentencing handed down for rape and sexual abuse of children in the UK, but what's actually more important as far as I'm concerned, is not the gender of the perpetrator, or the victim, but the leniency of the sentencing handed down. That's actually what needs to be addressed more urgently IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I mean its a horrible case don't get me wrong but I would have loved to have banged my 6th class teacher, she was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The father should be beaten with iron bars.

How could you look at your child and know you robbed him of his innocence.

Relax conor, doubt the guy loses sleep over anything moral. Save your outrage for someone who has a conscience

Advertisement