Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »
    Made no sense once the one at Paulstown has started and one at kilcullen whenever they decide to crack on with.

Wonder if Topaz at J5 will go ahead so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Wonder if Topaz at J5 will go ahead so?

I think that could be viable. J5 very busy with the N80 and close to Carlow town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Haven't been down this way in a long while. How is the Junction 2/3 station development getting on? I assume this will be a standard Applegreen layout as the others?

Jayuu wrote: »
    Haven't been down this way in a long while. How is the Junction 2/3 station development getting on? I assume this will be a standard Applegreen layout as the others?

Nothing going on. Junction/flyover all completed now, but no building works going on yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nothing going on. Junction/flyover all completed now, but no building works going on yet.

Any idea whether they are doing two separate stations or just one, I really hope they have sense and only construct one.

On another note drove to Dublin earlier and back and there is two bridges with a big dip from the road (sign posted) by roadworks signs. Anyone know when they will rectify those as I can't see it doing any favors for the bridge structures especially with HGV's.

Can't remember the exact area but at least one if not both were before the N10 joins going up and didn't notice any issues southbound.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, so I apologise in advance!:)

When is Kilcullen due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Jamie2k - it will be one service station, hence why a bridge was built.

Jayuu - its rumoured to be a Topaz

Schadenfreudia - it hasnt started to be built and there is no activity on site, so who knows when it will be completed.

Works update
    KILDARE: From 9am, the M9 Waterford/ Dublin Rd will be closed northbound between J3 Athy and J2 Kilcullen until 4pm this Friday (14th) for works. Diversions will be in place. Expect delays. The southbound carriageway will be unaffected.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »

Schadenfreudia - it hasnt started to be built and there is no activity on site, so who knows when it will be completed.

Works update

Wow! They built a whole motorway junction and have put nothing on it? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

the road closure is only northbound on the m9.
    if on the m9 the diversions are taking you to Athy and then back out the old N78 up to kilcullen to rejoin the m9.
    if I were coming from m9 northbound I would divert to the N9 and not towards Athy.
    if coming from Athy it makes sense to go the old N78 road to Kilcullen.

coming home from Dublin this late afternoon, there were a lot of cars and trucks coming off the m9 and most were taking the Athy direction.

• Advertisement

What's going on now with the M9? It's closed so regularly for this and that for a road that's scarcely 5 years old.

the road closure is only northbound on the m9.
    if on the m9 the diversions are taking you to Athy and then back out the old N78 up to kilcullen to rejoin the m9.
    if I were coming from m9 northbound I would divert to the N9 and not towards Athy.
    if coming from Athy it makes sense to go the old N78 road to Kilcullen.

coming home from Dublin this late afternoon, there were a lot of cars and trucks coming off the m9 and most were taking the Athy direction.

That would be longer too. Just take the old N9, it's not far to Kilcullen.

What's going on now with the M9? It's closed so regularly for this and that for a road that's scarcely 5 years old.

the are repainting all lines, cleaning up all areas,
    resurfacing the m9 where they only recently put drainage in on the mainline.
    this drainage and resurfacing are due to the small part that flooded and many cars have aquaplaned and gone up the bank on the left.
    some very bad crashes have happened at this point

the are repainting all lines, cleaning up all areas,
    resurfacing the m9 where they only recently put drainage in on the mainline.
    this drainage and resurfacing are due to the small part that flooded and many cars have aquaplaned and gone up the bank on the left.
    some very bad crashes have happened at this point

Could do with replacing all the cats eyes as well while they are at it but I won't hold my breath...

Could do with replacing all the cats eyes as well while they are at it but I won't hold my breath...

Indeed. If there is a single aspect of NRA motorway maintenance that is well below "European norms" is it the maintenance of cat's eyes and other reflectors.

Patww79 wrote: »

Well you shouldn't really be driving on them! They merely enhance the rumble strip on the yellow line - a boon to sleepy drivers :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You likely have soft tyres or a front suspension issue in that case. They're not that bad, anywhere.

• Advertisement

Wow! You must drive on the yellow line all the time! :D

Update. Works completed ahead of schedule and road reopened. Nb between jn 3 and jn 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

M9 northbound closing near Kilkenny for a couple of days next week:

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=83794

fricatus wrote: »
    M9 northbound closing near Kilkenny for a couple of days next week:

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=83794

Those humps on the road coming out of Kk after j8 getting fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hopefully, how many times is it now that they've closed off this section of the M9?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Indeed. If there is a single aspect of NRA motorway maintenance that is well below "European norms" is it the maintenance of cat's eyes and other reflectors.

These norms being the ones that have no cateyes?
    France
    Italy
    Spain

Autosport wrote: »
    Hopefully, how many times is it now that they've closed off this section of the M9?

At least twice. Then if you add up all the other sections that have been closed at various times must be well over a dozen at this stage.

These norms being the ones that have no cateyes?
    France
    Italy
    Spain

Yes indeed, including those.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There must be something very wrong with the original construction of the M9 for it to have been closed for repairs so many times at this stage.:(

Who were the original contractors for the construction? Could they be sued for shoddy work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There must be something very wrong with the original construction of the M9 for it to have been closed for repairs so many times at this stage.:(

Who were the original contractors for the construction? Could they be sued for shoddy work?

The section that will be closed later this month was constructed by Sisk and Roadbridge. the other contracter was Ascon now Bam whi did the Carlow Bypass and Waterford to Knocktopher

Advertisement