Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the new breaking bad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Mr. Robot was our water cooler show in work recently

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

As mentioned earlier, Forbrydelsen is bloody fantastic. Also another Scandinavian show The Bridge.

Both will hold your attention as much as Breaking Bad and are real "I'll watch one more episode" shows.

Breaking Bad is probably my favourite to show ever but these two aren't too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

The unit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Downloading Narcos (legally). What made Breaking Bad so good was the family mix so hopefully there is that in Narcos.
    There isn't really.

If you want the family mix (and assuming you've seen 'Better Call Saul') then 'Bloodline' is your best bet. 'Narcos' from what I've seen (half the season) is a different beast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

adox wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier, Forbrydelsen is bloody fantastic. Also another Scandinavian show The Bridge.

Both will hold your attention as much as Breaking Bad and are real "I'll watch one more episode" shows.

Breaking Bad is probably my favourite to show ever but these two aren't too far behind.
    I looked The Bridge up at the weekend as I had enjoyed The Killing (the crappy American version as someone else called it earlier :P). I have watched so much of it over the weekend, I'm really enjoying it. Just watched Ep 8 of Season 1 last night, it'll be keeping me busy for another while. Picking up a few Swedish words too :D
    Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

I think how to get away with murder is great
    Also Ray Donavan series 1 and 3 were good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Thanks again guys,

I am going to try her with bloodline and also a blast from the past will try to get her into the Sopranos (but Tony is far more unsympathetic than Walt).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Watched ep1 Mr robot, it's brill

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Loving Sons of Anarchy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

sweetie wrote: »
    Watched ep1 Mr robot, it's brill

I watched the first series and it's okay, not that great. Ray Donovan and Better Call Saul are streets ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Rectify is the best show on tv at the moment and its mostly based around family dynamics which you seem to be looking for OP.

Be warned though that its slow paced with very little 'action' so may not be for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

kidneyfan wrote: »
    I've heard that Mr Robot is good has it the elelemnt?
    I love the wire Ratsam but can't see herself being into it. That is what was so amazing about Breaking Bad everyone loved it (personally the Sopranos was better and alot of my friends think the wire was better but we all love BB).

Does American House of Cards have the family element?

House of Cards is very well written and looks great on the screen but I find it strangely empty beneath all the gloss. The original BBC version is much better but if you really want a dark American political show the much overlooked Boss is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Banshee. Slightly dodgy first season, brilliant thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For me two of the best series in recent memory were Boardwalk Empire & Peaky Blinders, both obviously set in the early 20th Century as opposed to more recent times but both excellent viewing with great characters.

Better call saul as mentioned on thsi thread is also great viweing, in fact it was considerably more entertaining than I had expected it to be TBH.

Justified also a decent watch & gets better as it progresses too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Forbrydelsen & Peaky Blinders are the 2 I've seen recently that I found it hard to stop watching. Very different but both leave you wanting to watch that 1 more episode. Narcos is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Looking forward to seasons 2 of the leftovers and the knick also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

sweetie wrote: »
    Looking forward to seasons 2 of the leftovers and the knick also.
    'The Leftovers' would definitely fit the bill of family elements that the OP asked about (and that half the suggestions listed here don't have!). It's a quality, albeit very bleak show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 FlickBean

Narcos, Better Call Saul, Fargo, GOT and Peaky Blinders....all worth a watch!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's no natural successor to Breaking Bad yet. As mentioned, the hype only caught on in later years (insanely so at the end) and downloading apparently helped to keep it alive, to a degree. If someone wants to make a show about a middled aged man in a tricky situation (not that has to be directly similar on that front) I'd watch, assuming it'd be up to BB's consistency.

The networks seem to be retreating to fairly generic stuff at the moment. Where's the quirky, likely low-viewership yet high quality stuff? It must be a frustrating time to be a TV writer in that world. Maybe this is all cyclical and things will come back around, eventually.

There's been a few articles about what's being called 'peak TV'. Here's one from Salon's Sonia Saraiya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

justified is well worth a watch

longmire is very good too. it's never going to reach epic levels of greatness but it's just so damned... good, aggressively so, it's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

if you want a family orientated drama show, Tyrant would be a great shout, set in the middle east about a royal familys inner turmoil, and events that affect their country, it has been a fairly overlooked show,

but there is no show out there matching breaking bad, for me id say there would be maximum 20 shows that i could rate as highly as i do that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The best for me since BB was/is House of Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Watched all of Orphan Black and Sense8 in recent weeks. Both quite similar shows in many respects and loved both of them. Sense8 took an episode or two to get into but if you commit to it's really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

gypsylee wrote: »
    Loving Sons of Anarchy at the moment.

I miss sons of anarchy so much might just have to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sense8 is superb,only one season in ..http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431438/

borgen is great

Gomorrah is superb

Leftovers

Leftovers

Leftovers.

We're a few episodes into season 2 and there hasn't been a single dull episode whatsoever.

Aside from that, with a family dynamic, is Bloodlines on Netflix. It's not at all action based and is somewhat slowpaced (similar to Rectify, in that way), but it is a fantastically well written, acted, and shot TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Fargo (season 2) is fantastic it has a similar pace to Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

When does Fargo season 2 come to Netflix Ireland I wonder? Loved season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, Fargo is insanely compelling and fantastically crafted.

Leftovers is also another brilliant show.

With regards Breaking Bad, the only thing I can see as comparable in terms of the vast fan base and hype currently running, is something like Game of Thrones.

Boardwalk Empire is another show worth anyone's time, easily my favorite TV show ever, particularly the first 3 seasons.

Not too many shows can do what Breaking Bad did - get better and better right up until the very end.

Banshee is doing just that so far as well - three seasons under it's belt and the next one set to be its last, so hopefully it'll go out on a major high note as well.

Hopefully shows will now naturally start to wind down at the season 5 mark going forward, and avoid the horrors we were subjected to with a lot of shows - Dexter, True Blood, etc, which were parodies of themselves towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cant recommend "Deadwood" enough.
    Fantastic writing, acting, sets, story-lines, etc etc. Its got everything.
    They only ever made 3 seasons of it...but 3 seasons of pure quality.

Advertisement