Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Was talking to a lad the other day involved in the sports coalition and he said keep an ear out for an announcement this Friday. Our beloved minister will be making 1 got to do with this. It could be ****e talk but he seemed to know what he was talking about

I was told the same by one of the sports coalition members with a petition in the nargc tent at the game fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

This is the rumour I heard that was supposed to happen last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can't see the Minister wanting to Pp1ss off anybody at this moment in time so I won't hold my breath waiting for an announcement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hexosan wrote: »
    This is the rumour I heard that was supposed to happen last week.

Same as that. Was told three weeks ago it would happen that Friday, then it was last Friday.

If it's true then the Minister is about to, excuse the pun, shoot herself in the foot. If it's rumor only then people need to stop worrying others by pretending to know what they're talking about. I hold my breath every time i think something like this could happen especially as none of the interested groups have said anything about such a statement being made. So they either know and are not saying anything, or don't know what is happening which i find hard to believe seeing as how some people are talking about it.

If another Friday passes without anything happening i'll be taking any further "predictions" with a pinch of salt.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I was "told" it's supposed to be favourable for the shooters.

• Advertisement

I was told nothing. Just the usual "i know something, but can't tell you the specifics (wink wink)".

I wish people would just keep that crap to themselves if that's the case. Either tell us everything or shut up. All this type of rumor spreading does is cause panic and worry. Historically we've never done too well in such circumstances.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Heard that one too.Ill belive it when I see it on paper.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'll get out the camera then. I've never seen pigs fly and I wouldn't like to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah for fecks's sakes.
    I only got finished cleaning the tea off that screen an hour ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

I doubt there would be an unfavorable announcement a few months before an election.
    I am sure many are aware of the effect RISE had over the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

I've been hearing the same cryptic nonsense too... People like to talk a lot o ****e. Was told last Thursday that a new S.i. Had been signed by a man not partial to b.s. but I'm pretty sure that the same can't be said of his source in the NARGC.

I'm in the "I'm sick of this ****e, don't give a f#*k anymore, believe it when I see it camp"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

So Friday came and went, I didn't hear anything.

I'm glad I'm in the flying pigs camp!

Heard this is now happening next Friday. Haha. ( if we stay doing this Eventually someone will be right)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Heard this is now happening next Friday. Haha. ( if we stay doing this Eventually someone will be right)

Yeah, it's like the RTE weather forecast.

"Next month/week/weekend will see high pressure and sunny weather over the entire country"*

*May not actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

The weather is "Changeable"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

My 2c is that Francis and Noirin are probably not on best terms for the moment, what with AGS reporting the IRA had gone away and the PSNI saying the opposite.

Don't see any reason why AGS would get their way on the smaller things such as this in that atmosphere and equally don't see why a government minister would aggravate 145,000 voters to one degree or another right before a general election.

But you never know - although last Friday would have been opportune for releasing bad news, what with all the other news breaking, the story would have been buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Noirin is probably mindful that she might answer her front door some evening to find a senior civil servant (dressed like the grim reaper) looking to have a chat.
    As to rumours- I heard it first from a friend and then repeated a few days later by a garda.
    I also heard we are to have an Indian Summer this month because a sheep in Donegal managed to scratch it's own ar#e with a front hoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I kindof think the Syrian refugee crisis might be more of a pressing concern for the Minister right now, even over the Fennelly report or anything else, what with her department being in charge of that, and with a few thousand people standing by the famine memorial on the quays right now protesting to save more of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭garrettod

Sparks wrote: »
    I kindof think the Syrian refugee crisis might be more of a pressing concern for the Minister right now......

Well, you'd certainly like to think so anyway (and I'm not just speaking as a shooter).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Both the Minister and the Commissioner appear to be intelligent ladies. They should be well able to see that there's no problems worth mentioning with licenced firearms as things stand.

I for one would be delighted to see a proper implementation of tariffs in criminal firearms possession cases which is out of their control and also a serious step up in operations against violent crime with or without firearms which is firmly within their remit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Both the Minister and the Commissioner appear to be intelligent ladies. They should be well able to see that there's no problems worth mentioning with licenced firearms as things stand.

You would assume that there are intelligent people at the higher echelons of An Garda Siochanna too, yet they are pushing for draconian changes that will only affect law abiding licenced firearms holders.

I'd be happy enough with the firearms laws being applied evenly across the board instead of the postcode lottery which we seem to have at the moment.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    .............. yet they are pushing for draconian changes that will only affect law abiding licenced firearms holders.......
    This is not a mistake on their behalf. Regardless of what is said the removal of all firearms would be a "best result" scenario for them. We shouldn't be surprised that any wanted or proposed changes will effect us.

Cass wrote: »
    ...Regardless of what is said the removal of all firearms would be a "best result" scenario for them.

If guns are made criminal, then only criminals will have guns.

Those words are as true today, as they were the first time I saw them, which was probably close to 30 years ago now.

Thanks,

G.

Not trying to be a dick, but those little quips are all well and good, but have not and will not protect us or stand as a valid argument against everything that has occurred to date or will occur in the future. You're applying a logic that most people would understand and agree with, but goes against the anti firearm opinions of those in control.

Do you not think that if there was someway to outright ban all firearms in the morning without the grief of court cases, compensation, etc in the morning that it would not be done asap? All i mean is we should not be surprised at what is done or thought of about firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I think you are right Cass, we shouldn't have faith that authorities will look out for ALL interests equitably and fairly. Their interest, as you say, could be to remove "the problem" of firearms altogether, and if not then large sections of it.
    This would have a huge impact to many different sports and other interests such as farmers. So, if we all coalesce and stand together we can present an intimidating group for them to attack. i.e It becomes politically infeasible to attack us.
    Well, fingers crossed.

...but those little quips are all well and good, but have not and will not protect us or stand as a valid argument against everything that has occurred to date or will occur in the future. You're applying a logic that most people would understand and agree with, but goes against the anti firearm opinions of those in control.

The truth is always going to be the truth and the facts will always be the facts, Cass.

The question is why punish those law abiding citizens, while the criminals run free to do what they want... thats a key message we need to keep sending through every public channel imho.

...Do you not think that if there was someway to outright ban all firearms in the morning without the grief of court cases, compensation, etc in the morning that it would not be done asap? All i mean is we should not be surprised at what is done or thought of about firearms.

What people think is often down to the information they are provided with, be it right or wrong. Part of our job is to help inform people and ensure they have the right informaiton, to make the right decisions or form the right conclusions.

Sure, the anti gun lobby will always exist, but so will other opposition groups to various other things. In fact I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was the same "naysayers" found in groups lobbying about all sorts of different things, just to try and enforce their will on everyone else. As long as we continue to do the right thing and ensure people are correctly informed along the way, those lobby groups will always struggle to get significant support.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is, as ever, an anti-firearms sub text in much of the media's output. Less than an hour ago the presenter on Newstalk was interviewing some publicity hungry politician, and stated "a gun is a dangerous thing to have in a house"
    The interview was in relation to the rise in robberies country wide. As usual, both interviewer and politician are unaware/ignorant to the realities of licencing conditions and safe use of said firearms.
    A tiger is a dangerous thing to keep in a dwelling house, because it is unpredictable. A gun is an inert piece of steel and wood and will sit in a press for forty years and hurt no one. It requires criminal intent on a humans behalf to make it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ever wonder why the loudest anti gun ownership politicans and celebs are the ones surrounded by armed state supplied protection or can hire armed private security to protect them?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'm going to be a little blunt, but i don't want that to be confused as attacking or being ignorant. No offence is intended.
    garrettod wrote: »
    The truth is always going to be the truth and the facts will always be the facts, Cass.
    Another quip that while true in meaning has absolutely no value other than a good soundbite. Our (shooting community) history has shown us to be the safest sport out there (at least in Ireland) and still we are attacked every time it comes to tackling firearms. That will never change so we can sit on our righteousness all we want but its of little value if they continue to chip away at firearm ownership.
    The question is why punish those law abiding citizens, while the criminals run free to do what they want... thats a key message we need to keep sending through every public channel imho.

We are a known factor in terms of names, addresses,etc. So when a "win" is needed we are the easy target and considering the prevailing attitude of non firearm owners (however irrational some may be) we are a minority.

What people think is often down to the information they are provided with, be it right or wrong. Part of our job is to help inform people and ensure they have the right informaiton, to make the right decisions or form the right conclusions.

Sure, the anti gun lobby will always exist, but so will other opposition groups to various other things. In fact I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was the same "naysayers" found in groups lobbying about all sorts of different things, just to try and enforce their will on everyone else. As long as we continue to do the right thing and ensure people are correctly informed along the way, those lobby groups will always struggle to get significant support.
    I'm not talking about non firearm owners from an "averagee Joe" point of view, i'm talking about those in control such as An Gardaí & DoJ. You know, the ones that actually decide what and if we get them.

I agree with your point of view and have even said as much myself over the years, but i've also been there and seen this happen before and know that it is never as black and white as it should be. IOW the truth does not win out, the person with the best media coverage and soundbites do. When you have a largely anti gun society, an anti gun media, and an anti gun establishment it doesn't matter how valid your argument is when you are fighting attitudes and not the law.

• Advertisement

....IOW the truth does not win out, the person with the best media coverage and soundbites do.When you have a largely anti gun society, an anti gun media, and an anti gun establishment it doesn't matter how valid your argument is when you are fighting attitudes and not the law.

Then maybe it's time the media coverage was used a little more, by those in the sport. Maybe it's time those in the sport start to speak up a little more and stop hiding, or lurking in the shadows almost acting as if they are embarrassed to be a law abiding citizen enjoying their chosen sport.

To be quite honest Cass, I don't know whether it's due to fatigue or what, but at the moment your coming across as someone who is almost ready to give up and that, if accurate, would be a real shame.

No offense either taken or intended btw.

Oh, just to add, I'm not saying your wrong in what you've posted but I am saying that the future shoudln't reflect the past either. Just because things have not always gone as they should in times past, doesn't mean we shouldn't stop pressing for them to go the right way in the future.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement