Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

We are actually discussing the M7 from J9 Naas north to J11 Kilkenny/Carlow and it needing widening.
    And that tolling it would be insane and never counter traffic volumes

Exactly which is badly needed and to toll it would be ridiculous and unfair. Cork commuters would have to pay four tolls to get to Dublin airport whereas Wexford Waterford & KK Would only pay two.

I didn't suggest tolling the M7 widening. I just suggest a toll on the M50 South. Free flow the same as the one at the Northern section. Or a new toll somewhere along the N11/M11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Deedsie wrote: »
    I didn't suggest tolling the M7 widening. I just suggest a toll on the M50 South. Free flow the same as the one at the Northern section. Or a new toll somewhere along the N11/M11.

I've asked you where a few times, but you've no suggestions.There would be a huge amount of rat running to avoid a toll on the N/M11 and a significant decrease in road safety as a result.

Or travel for free at a time when there was no traffic...

Depends on what the pay back period would be, Ireland has a bad peak traffic problem after that the roads are pretty much empty because we're an Island we have no traffic travelling through to different countries.

A lot of people that drive on the M7 M9 have a train, does anyone know why most people take the car ?

I could drive to Carlow or Athy and take the Train to Clondalkin Fonthill

This is the timetable from Athy.

Dep Arr Dur

06:41 08:02 1:21 1
    07:19 08:18 0:59 1
    08:12 09:07 0:55 1
    09:10 10:08 0:58 1
    12:19 13:18 0:59 1
    14:23 15:19 0:56 1
    16:20 17:18 0:58 1
    19:49 21:15 1:26 1
    21:45 22:30 0:45 0

From Fonthill

Dept Arr Duration
    06:51 08:10 1:19 1
    09:31 10:58 1:27 1
    12:15 13:58 1:43 1
    14:26 15:56 1:30 1
    16:32 17:35 1:03 1
    18:07 19:23 1:16 1
    20:27 21:15 0:48 0

I work shift and wouldn't make it for 8am, but I could make it for 9am if I were doing regular 9-5

If doing 9-5 I there isn't a train from 2.30pm -4.30 Pm ? this is absolutely disgraceful , would dart commuters stand for this level of service I think not ?

I'm sure I could get a bus to Grangecastle Business Park ? It would be a bit inconvenient but anything would be better than that mental traffic from Kill sometimes all the way to the M9 turn off.

If we had a lot better rail network from this areas along the M7 M9 I think a lot more people would commute by train elimination the millions needed for a road upgrade and the hassles of driving.

However one huge advantage of doing 8-8 days and nights means that horrendous traffic for me is a distant nightmare !!!

I think that money would be far better spent upgrading the rail network along this route and offering far more trains, there should be trains every 15-20 mins max during peak times.

I've asked you where a few times, but you've no suggestions.There would be a huge amount of rat running to avoid a toll on the N/M11 and a significant decrease in road safety as a result.

I dunno really... I just think to balance payments for motorists it should be considered. A free flow toll would be the only option. Junction 15 South. Where you come on to the M50 and get off should dictate the payment

Exactly which is badly needed and to toll it would be ridiculous and unfair. Cork commuters would have to pay four tolls to get to Dublin airport whereas Wexford Waterford & KK Would only pay two.

Who's commuting by car from Cork to Dublin ?

A toll on the M9 around Naas would help fund a rail upgrade along this route , but I would only accept this if there was a proper rail network with frequent train times. A toll would then probably convince people to take the train.

• Advertisement

A toll on the M9 around Naas would help fund a rail upgrade along this route , but I would only accept this if there was a proper rail network with frequent train times. A toll would then probably convince people to take the train.

Plenty of people from Cork travel for work in Dublin. Not Daily but I work with a guy who is in our office at least once a week. Drives to the red cow park and ride, Luas to abbey street and walks from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A free flow toll would be the only option.

We should never build another toll plaza in this country. The technology is already in place to avoid it and the existing plazas should all be upgraded to M50 style gantries.

Plenty of people from Cork travel for work in Dublin. Not Daily but I work with a guy who is in our office at least once a week. Drives to the red cow park and ride, Luas to abbey street and walks from there.

Is that for work he travels to Dublin once a week ?

So, I travel to Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast sometimes and pay tolls ? doesn't bother me, I rather that than have to travel through every tiny village sitting in traffic for hours.

hardCopy wrote: »
    We should never build another toll plaza in this country. The technology is already in place to avoid it and the existing plazas should all be upgraded to M50 style gantries.

I agree but in the case of the M1, M7 M8 the tolls don't exactly cause traffic congestion and you got the eflow barrier with the tag.

So, I travel to Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast sometimes and pay tolls ? doesn't bother me, I rather that than have to travel through every tiny village sitting in traffic for hours.

no he vacattions in our office.... Of course he travels up for work. You are happy to pay a toll and sit in traffic, good for you. I am just advocating new tolls to areas that for some strange reason the government decided to not toll. (The wealthiest part of the country). There is no justification for another toll on the M7 though. The road is already overly tolled if travelling from the Cork, Clare/Limerick if you have to go under the tunnel on the N20.

• Advertisement

no he vacattions in our office.... Of course he travels up for work. You are happy to pay a toll and sit in traffic, good for you. I am just advocating new tolls to areas that for some strange reason the government decided to not toll. (The wealthiest part of the country). There is no justification for another toll on the M7 though. The road is already overly tolled if travelling from the Cork, Clare/Limerick if you have to go under the tunnel on the N20.

No need to be a smart ass, he could be travelling for business or he's commuting, either way why should it matter if he chooses to have work so far away ?

If he can work from home most of the time then good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

See you next Tuesday.
    On-topic, constructive posts only please.

How many people using the N7 are going to places served by the train on the n7?
    How much of an upgrade to rail would be needed to get the train to Dublin city centre? or to Blanch or Sandyford?

The whole point about a toll reducing traffic, does't stack up, when traffic backs up at the Tolka on the M50 Southbound just as the tolled section begins.

How many people using the N7 are going to places served by the train on the n7?
    How much of an upgrade to rail would be needed to get the train to Dublin city centre? or to Blanch or Sandyford?

No Idea, this is what needs to be found out so a proper public infrastructure can be planned.

The whole point about a toll reducing traffic, does't stack up, when traffic backs up at the Tolka on the M50 Southbound just as the tolled section begins.

A toll won't reduce traffic unless there are alternatives, which there isn't so in that case it could be used to pay for the upgrade because currently we're told the money isn't there or unlikely to be for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Tolls should be considered as an aid to combat congestion. It is essential that they vary by time of day/week so you are tolling people less (or not at all) who choose to use the road when it is empty at 2am. The port tunnel is a very good example of this.

This is how Ryanair keep their planes reasonably full at all times, by adjusting pricing to match demand.

The current narrative in Ireland is that tolls are needed to pay for the sunk cost of building the road is silly and not very good economics. Ireland is very well placed to introduce barrier-free tolls - a very small % of cars on the road are non-Irish and a considerable share of the population already has a toll tag due to the M50.

People who commute at peak times will of course complain at the introduction of tolls. But in the long run no one has the same job or house forever. People adjust behaviour to the prices they face. Ireland's road network is about to get very congested again if growth continues and we need organisational solutions as much as engineering ones.

No Idea, this is what needs to be found out so a proper public infrastructure can be planned.
    If only there was a nationwide periodic survey of where people live, where they work and how they travel to work done once in a while... :rolleyes:

What work is to be done on this scheme? one completely new junction, and a rebuild of an existing junction?
    and D3M

There's 2 abp approvals. Is one for the completely new build junction?

The Naas bypass is 10.5 km, while its another 6km to the M9 junction

The M1 widening works (7km) were done in the bottom of the recession, there's surely money to build this widening now, and build the new junction after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I’m willing this project to happen, mainly due to my fear that the road is only going to see an increase in traffic volumes due to people being pushed out of Dublin due to the housing crisis. Right now, the commute is tolerable, mornings are fine going up but the evenings are hit and miss.

I have to agree with the sentiment of many though and say that driver behaviour is deplorable on out motorways, the left lane is the least used land on the N7. It just seems to be one huge game of leap frog and jesus help you if you try leave a safe gap between you and the car in front, others feel compelled to squeeze in there.

Hell, I’d just be happed if they widened the southbound portion to the M9 to 3 lanes…everyone could take a chill pill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mandraker1000

It amazes me they way people go on about tolling on routes such as the M/N7 or likely M11 ( no experience with this one) as a mechanism to "encourage" people to leave their cars at home and take public transport instead. The reality is that people have no choice but to take their cars into Dublin if they want to get to work. I live between Sallins & Newbridge (both have which have very good commuter trains) ...but I WON'T use them !!!, why?? Well Let me explain !. I work in Sandyford, to get from my home to work takes approx 40 - 45 min ( if I time it correctly ...and failing accidents / construction) . IF I decided to take public transport I would need to take a train from either Sallins or Newbridge to Heuston, then a Bus / Luas to O'Connell St. , walk to St Stephen Green then finally a Luas to Sandyford, total time > 2 hours. I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum ...but life is short ...I don't want to spend > 4 hours per day getting to and from work. I appreciate that in my case perhaps it's a little awkward to get form Home to Work but I sense that there are an awful lot of people in a very similar situation. Now for those out there whom might suggest ...Why don't you move closer to where you work ???....NO!!!. ....I DO NOT want to live in Dublin !!!..I like where I live . I genuinely would love to leave my car at home but without a reasonable public transport system this won't happen. If I could give an example of what I'd consider a public transport system, if you take the city of Stockholm ( which is approx 300-400k more people that Dublin..ie: it's not that much bigger) then this is a map of their public transport (rail component only) h**p://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/SL_Sp%C3%A5rtrafik.pdf ....I think you'll agree it's a little different. To be fair these people have been building this for decades and you certainly couldn't expect Dublin to produce something remotely like this in a short time , but it's called forward taught, planning and commitment. In the meantime, most park'n'rides that I've visited are free ...except ireland ( don't they want people to use them ??). As for tolling, if I get tolled I'm simply going to pass it on as a salary request to my employer and sooner or later it'll have the effect of driving up employment costs ( double , as it'll be after tax) , so ultimately every looses. I appreciate that somebody has to pay for road construction & maintenance But I believe we already pay rather a lot for car tax , so why are they giving some of it to Irish Water ( sorry , not getting into that here!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I totally agree Mandraker, the options for people unless you are going into An Lar are laughable! the luas lines being linked, will make things a bit better, but DU is badly needed. No one in their right mind who has a car, is going to ditch it for that joke of a commute you would have to take... 2015 and that is Dublins transport network, its a total disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm in exactly the same position... priced out of Dublin (it's like it's 2005 all over again) due to rent hikes and the Government's inaction in dealing with the housing crisis they've created and like Mandraker I am trekking up to Sandyford every day which by car is bearable - and thankfully I can be somewhat flexible in my hours and work from home occasionally - but using public transport would take at least 4 hours a day.. not to mention the expense because it's not exactly cheap either!

The idea that everyone should leave the car at home and spend hours commuting to and from work on our unreliable, costly, and patchy-outside-Dublin public transport system in a country that is busy pushing more and more workers into the surrounding counties again is just nonsense.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

The idea that everyone should leave the car at home and spend hours commuting to and from work on our unreliable, costly, and patchy-outside-Dublin public transport system in a country that is busy pushing more and more workers into the surrounding counties again is just nonsense.
    While leaving (or is that keeping) all the jobs in Dublin.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position... priced out of Dublin (it's like it's 2005 all over again) due to rent hikes and the Government's inaction in dealing with the housing crisis they've created and like Mandraker I am trekking up to Sandyford every day which by car is bearable - and thankfully I can be somewhat flexible in my hours and work from home occasionally - but using public transport would take at least 4 hours a day.. not to mention the expense because it's not exactly cheap either!

Who was suggesting leaving the car at home and taking public transport ?

The only time I suggested that was if the public transport network was good enough.

It amazes me they way people go on about tolling on routes such as the M/N7 or likely M11

If you had the choice to sit in traffic every day or pay a toll what would you do ? you would choose to sit in traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

It amazes me they way people go on about tolling on routes such as the M/N7 or likely M11 ( no experience with this one) as a mechanism to "encourage" people to leave their cars at home and take public transport instead. The reality is that people have no choice but to take their cars into Dublin if they want to get to work. I live between Sallins & Newbridge (both have which have very good commuter trains) ...but I WON'T use them !!!, why?? Well Let me explain !. I work in Sandyford, to get from my home to work takes approx 40 - 45 min ( if I time it correctly ...and failing accidents / construction) . IF I decided to take public transport I would need to take a train from either Sallins or Newbridge to Heuston, then a Bus / Luas to O'Connell St. , walk to St Stephen Green then finally a Luas to Sandyford, total time > 2 hours. I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum ...but life is short ...I don't want to spend > 4 hours per day getting to and from work. I appreciate that in my case perhaps it's a little awkward to get form Home to Work but I sense that there are an awful lot of people in a very similar situation. Now for those out there whom might suggest ...Why don't you move closer to where you work ???....NO!!!. ....I DO NOT want to live in Dublin !!!..I like where I live . I genuinely would love to leave my car at home but without a reasonable public transport system this won't happen. If I could give an example of what I'd consider a public transport system, if you take the city of Stockholm ( which is approx 300-400k more people that Dublin..ie: it's not that much bigger) then this is a map of their public transport (rail component only) h**p://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/SL_Sp%C3%A5rtrafik.pdf ....I think you'll agree it's a little different. To be fair these people have been building this for decades and you certainly couldn't expect Dublin to produce something remotely like this in a short time , but it's called forward taught, planning and commitment. In the meantime, most park'n'rides that I've visited are free ...except ireland ( don't they want people to use them ??). As for tolling, if I get tolled I'm simply going to pass it on as a salary request to my employer and sooner or later it'll have the effect of driving up employment costs ( double , as it'll be after tax) , so ultimately every looses. I appreciate that somebody has to pay for road construction & maintenance But I believe we already pay rather a lot for car tax , so why are they giving some of it to Irish Water ( sorry , not getting into that here!!)

Do you think that most people in Stockholm live more than 40km by road or more than 50km by rail from their place of work?

No public transport system in any country would get you to work in less than 90 minutes given the distance you live from your work.

You're the one who needs to do a bit of forward planning - although having completely unrealistic expectations about the ability of public transport to get you from your chosen place of residence to your chosen place of work in a time frame you consider acceptable suggests you don't really grasp the concept.

On your 'point' about car tax - it hasn't been hypothecated (look it up) for decades, if it ever was.

Do you think that most people in Stockholm live more than 40km by road or more than 50km by rail from their place of work?

No public transport system in any country would get you to work in less than 90 minutes given the distance you live from your work.

You're the one who needs to do a bit of forward planning - although having completely unrealistic expectations about the ability of public transport to get you from your chosen place of residence to your chosen place of work in a time frame you consider acceptable suggests you don't really grasp the concept.

You're making very large assumptions about the ability of people to a) live where they want and b) work where they want. Lots of people are in negative equity in their homes and cant sell up amd move. And there's a big unemployment problem in the country at the minute, in case it passed you by....

I'd hope a rail public transit system could average better than 30kmh or so you seem to think is the upper limit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Who was suggesting leaving the car at home and taking public transport ?

The only time I suggested that was if the public transport network was good enough.

Wasn't aimed at you :) but on your point.. public transport isn't, has never been, and probably never will be, adequate for the "Irish situation". It's been that way for certainly the 40 years I've been around!

As dolanbaker points out above, while people may be forced to move further out to put a roof over their heads thanks to spiking rents and limited supply to rent OR buy, their job will most likely be still back in Dublin.. possibly somewhere not easy to get to from "the sticks" like Sandyford, Blanch etc

It happened before a decade ago, and it's happening again and public transport is no better than it was then for these people. PT is fine if you're making a simple A-B trip along a given route... but if you deviate from that, or have to make multiple connections, the time lost and the expense make it more worthwhile to just drive!

The ONLY way to solve both problems is to build up, not out and CPO the empty/abandoned plots of land within the city boundaries to do it. Rather than lowering minimum apartment standards, they should be increased to Euro-spec family sized dwellings with security and local amenities AND transport links in place to make them attractive. Think how many Semi-D's would be freed up by having such apartments available to single people, or students, or childless couples who want to be in the city.

But in Ireland we don't want to live in apartments and we don't want to invest in the rest of the country (with the exception of maybe Cork and Galway) so the reality is that private car traffic (and the problems that come with it) are going to be with us indefinitely and we might as well accept that and plan/develop accordingly, rather than trying to turn the place into Amsterdam or something!

On your 'point' about car tax - it hasn't been hypothecated (look it up) for decades, if it ever was.

I'd broadly agree with that, no one was forced to purchase a house 40km from where they work. Was there sufficient public transport when you moved in and it was removed? If not a lot of personal responsibility has to be taken.

4.5 million people live throughout Ireland (+2 million in the North), we are never going to have a ninfrastructure network like France, Germany or Britain. A bit of spatial planning and discouraging people from buying houses in isolated locations away from existing public transport and many kilometres from where they actually work would be a good government policy

Ireland has a huge amount of one off housing dotted disgracefully around the Island which is imo unsustainable and no signs of it changing.

There should be proper developments with proper infrastructure and Public parks etc rather than match box size houses in horrible looking housing estates littered all over Ireland. We have plenty of space for proper developments and I'm not saying we should not have high density housing but there are many towns and villages that should never have those hideous looking housing estates shoved on top of one another.

I look at the really nice towns and villages in the German Countryside for instance, no housing estates, nice looking houses that are not all identical. Decently spaced apart, Nice greenery , parks and mostly proper infrastructure linking any half decent Town and village. A really lovely place with proper thought and effort into the design and look of houses, villages and towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Even Ireland's busiest motorways are only ever busy to the point of slowing down traffic about 3 hours a day, 5 days a week (match days and festivals too of course). This is less than 10% of the hours in the week.

Tolling could play a very useful role in spreading some of this excess demand to times when the network is less busy.

People who are then prepared to pay a toll to travel at peak times will also get a better product, namely a quicker journey.

People are arguing like they were assigned both a house and a place of work at birth with no potential to change. This is argument is fallacious. Most people move house several times during their life and their place of work many more times. There is a large element of personal choice involved in all of these decisions.

As a student I had a 3-hour round trip commute. I hated it and resolved never to do it again. Over the years I've paid well above average in housing costs but I've been happy to do so because I really dislike long commutes.

• Advertisement

At 84 miles round trip commute I don't find it excessive at about 1 hr each way but I'd rather not do it. I'd rather not waste so much time commuting but at least the only advantage of shift is I rarely see peak traffic, only when going up to work on days.

I would love if Carlow or Kilkenny, Naas etc had more employment but this is not going to happen.

Advertisement