Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Going on a bit of an adventure for the Canada game. Getting the Ferry on Friday the 18th, train to Shrewbury that night, staying in a Premier Inn then down to Cardiff in the morning for the game. Staying in a hotel in Port Talbot that night then back over to holyhead for the ferry home sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

There's 8 of us going over, 4 Irish and 4 South Africans, flying Cork to Newcastle on Friday 2nd of October, staying Friday and Saturday night in Newcastle, going to the South Africa v Scotland game on Saturday, then getting the train from Newcastle to Kings cross London on Sunday morning then going to Ireland v Italy on Sunday, staying Sunday night in London and flying Gatwick to Cork Monday afternoon.
    Then planning on being extremely paranoid and anxious for two days while two nuns on Wolfback chase rainbow haired dolphins around my bed while i constantly get the sensation that I'm falling off a curb!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not much of an adventure for us for the Romania and Italy games because we live in north London! Tube or overground to Wembley and the Olympic stadium. Munster bus then to the France game.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

There's 8 of us going over, 4 Irish and 4 South Africans, flying Cork to Newcastle on Friday 2nd of October, staying Friday and Saturday night in Newcastle, going to the South Africa v Scotland game on Saturday, then getting the train from Newcastle to Kings cross London on Sunday morning then going to Ireland v Italy on Sunday, staying Sunday night in London and flying Gatwick to Cork Monday afternoon.
    Then planning on being extremely paranoid and anxious for two days while two nuns on Wolfback chase rainbow haired dolphins around my bed while i constantly get the sensation that I'm falling off a curb!

That train journey will not be fun after 2 nights in newcastle!

That train journey will not be fun after 2 nights in newcastle!

Don't i know it!

• Advertisement

It's only 2 hrs 40 minutes if you get the right train. It will only be as terrible as you make it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Not much of an adventure for us for the Romania and Italy games because we live in north London! Tube or overground to Wembley and the Olympic stadium. Munster bus then to the France game.
    Flying into london for Italy adn France games and plan on getting the munster bus to the France game

It's only 2 hrs 40 minutes if you get the right train. It will only be as terrible as you make it :pac:

Ya we're leaving at 10 and into London at 12:55 so basically Cork to Dublin and I'm sure everyone has suffered on that train before.
    I'm sure we'll make it as terrible as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Would have love to have went to the France game only for the shortage of accommodation available in Cardiff. Last decision Italy game looks most viable option! Anybody any advice on cheapest way and safest way to book tickets for Italy game online??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

wexilad wrote: »
    Would have love to have went to the France game only for the shortage of accommodation available in Cardiff. Last decision Italy game looks most viable option! Anybody any advice on cheapest way and safest way to book tickets for Italy game online??

If you can't get any via the official ticket website then viagogo.com are supposed to be reliable, but you'll pay an extra chunk of change there.(website takes a commission from seller and also ads a commission to the purchaser)

• Advertisement

Tickets galore up since 10.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

kuang1 wrote: »

Damnit, typically a week before I get paid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Thank you :) got 3 France Cat D together an all. Although travel costs may put a halt to my excitement.

Anyone know how much the sail and rail from Rosslare to Cardiff costs? I think the ferry one way is 38 euro but not sure about the train on top of it.

Yeah I was amazed myself at that...obviously they had an unreleased section of tickets. They're still available as I type.

Interestingly though no ticket released for Italy game this morning. Checked last night...Wembley capacity is 90,000!!
    That's a lot of ex-pats making that game a sell-out!

Italy game is at the Olympic stadium, which has a capacity of 54,000. Still a lot of London-based Irish going to it and a lot travelling as well because if you can get tickets for it then it's a much easier trip than Cardiff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Unfortunate Derivative

Anyone any ideas of the best way to travel from Birmingham to Cardiff? Flights to Birmingham cost me 9.99 each way which saved buckets but looking to get back for a morning sunday flight (7ish) after a 8pm kick off the previous night in cardiff (quarter final 2, Oct. 17). Busses and trains seem not to run late on. Anyone any advice or know someone willing to carpool?

Italy game is at the Olympic stadium, which has a capacity of 54,000. Still a lot of London-based Irish going to it and a lot travelling as well because if you can get tickets for it then it's a much easier trip than Cardiff!

Oh yeah sorry...so its Romania that we play in Wembley?????
    Sounds like the organisers missed an opportunity there...90,000 to see Ireland vs Romania?! I think not! But you might have got close to that number had we played Italy there.
    I'm sure they had their reasons though!

Are there any cheapish accomodation options in or around Cardiff for the France game? I'm guessing not.

Sail and rail - Rosslare to Fishguard is 82 return. Availability to go over the Saturday night.

It looks like Swansea and Bristol could be options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Trying to get £50 Cardiff tickets keep missing out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Anyone any ideas of the best way to travel from Birmingham to Cardiff? Flights to Birmingham cost me 9.99 each way which saved buckets but looking to get back for a morning sunday flight (7ish) after a 8pm kick off the previous night in cardiff (quarter final 2, Oct. 17). Busses and trains seem not to run late on. Anyone any advice or know someone willing to carpool?

Assuming that you meet the minimum age requirements I don't know of a better way than to rent a car. If you're planning on drinking and can't drive then the only option I can think of is a long distance taxi but you're probably looking at £130+ for that. Whereas you'd probably pick up a rental for £25 + £30-40 for petrol depending on how heavy your foot was. I did this for the 'hand of Back' european cup final and the drive was very straightforward then with free parking easy to find in Cardiff - :eek: that's 13 years ago now so the parking situation could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Gah, the one day I was late having a check! Typical. Did manage to swap out my corner upper tier Cat Bs for lower tier Cat Cs for France though, so happy enough with that.

Now if I could only find cheaper than the £315 semi tickets which I still haven't figured out whether I'm going to pay for or not (sitting on the cc)/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭munsterrugby09

Managed to get tickets for both quarter finals in Cardiff and also managed to swing two double rooms off a couple in Cardiff City centre.

A great mornings work.

Now for travel- ferry seems only option. What would it cost me return?

Managed to get tickets for both quarter finals in Cardiff and also managed to swing two double rooms off a couple in Cardiff City centre.

A great mornings work.

Sail and rail from Rosslare to Fishguard and train onwards to Cardiff is 82 euro return, although some of the ferries are now sold out for France game so I'm not sure what I'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

A great mornings work.

Flights into London that weekend from €40-€60 return from Dublin/Cork/Shannon etc still... MRSC bus down £30/£35 return ...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭munsterrugby09

Doing rosslare - Pembroke fri- mon

Can book going over but not coming back?

Is it booked out Monday oct 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Is anyone else getting the circle of death trying to log on just now?

I don't know if this means there's a fresh batch up or my a account is just a bit stuck...

Is anyone else getting the circle of death trying to log on just now?

I don't know if this means there's a fresh batch up or my a account is just a bit stuck...

No circle of death, but getting the "we're sorry, there has been an unexpected error" message.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

All QF's still not sold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Oh yeah sorry...so its Romania that we play in Wembley?????
    Sounds like the organisers missed an opportunity there...90,000 to see Ireland vs Romania?! I think not! But you might have got close to that number had we played Italy there.
    I'm sure they had their reasons though!

Wembley has severely limited availability because of other bookings (Euro 2016 qualifier, NFL etc) and is being used for 2 games only in the rwc, both in the first 9 days.
    Now obviously Ireland Italy could have been one of those two games if theyd wanted, but that would have meant a completely different fixture matrix for the entire comp.

Advertisement