Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Foods

Options
  • 15-08-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Howdy There,

I'm looking for a place that sells American Food like cereals, sweets, etc...

I've only found a couple of really old threads here in the forum, so I was wondering if anyone knows a current place near/in Dublin that sells those.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fresh in Grand Canal Dock has an American food section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Avoca and Donnybrook Fare sell some candies, cereals and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Food Hall in Harvey Nichols, and I think Fallon & Byrne does also

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Dealz have a few American sweets in at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Some Tescos have a (very) small american section now but I can't remember if I saw any sweets in mine; pretty sure I saw things like cereals, pop-tarts, marshmallow fluff, tinned pumpkin, and some drinks in my local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The Country Market in Howth village sells some American food- sweets and cereals and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gmogames

Thanks guys,

I went to Candy Lab and Fallon & Byrne today. They do have some stuff. I was able to buy a couple of things, but unfortunately they didn't have most of the stuff I was looking for and they were very expensive.

I'll try the other places.

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

gmogames wrote: »
    Howdy There,

I'm looking for a place that sells American Food like cereals, sweets, etc...

I've only found a couple of really old threads here in the forum, so I was wondering if anyone knows a current place near/in Dublin that sells those.

Thanks!

I saw a shelf of American food in Tesco today. Lucky something or other cereal. Other stuff as well, but I can't remember what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thanks guys,

I went to Candy Lab and Fallon & Byrne today. They do have some stuff. I was able to buy a couple of things, but unfortunately they didn't have most of the stuff I was looking for and they were very expensive.

Thanks!

What exactly are you looking for?
    Probably best post that up and anyone here that likes it will know :)
    Expect any US food to be expensive though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz is the only reasonable priced place I have seen.

My tesco has twinkies and sometimes peanut butter m&ms. It was €3 for a small 45g pack of m&ms, twinkies were €9.50 for 10

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for?
    Probably best post that up and anyone here that likes it will know :)
    Expect any US food to be expensive though!

What I was desperate to find was american Frosted Flakes, as I find the ones here in Ireland tasting like feet!

But in terms of cereal, Frosted Flakes and Froot Loops. For sweets, skittles and twizzlers (I found twizzlers in Candy Lab).

I actually don't know how the irish regulation is for food, but there is a big difference in taste of foods and even soda from anywhere in the world to here. Maybe they use less sugar, sodium, or the other bad stuff, which is better for your health, but not very tasty.

Which is ironic, because I find that Irish chocolates are way sweeter then in the US. Maybe all the sugar they take out from other food goes in the chocolates :)

Cheers

Oh, and Crunchy M&Ms which I also found in Candy Lab.

rubadub wrote: »

My tesco has twinkies and sometimes peanut butter m&ms. It was €3 for a small 45g pack of m&ms, twinkies were €9.50 for 10

I usually get my groceries from tesco online, and even though they have the American section under World Foods, there is nothing there. Maybe the stores that deliver to my place do not carry any american items.

They do have polish a lot.

I need to go to a Tesco store and give it a try.

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The new Tesco Sriracha sauce is a reasonable substitute for the Huy Fong Sriracha from California. No, it is not like it, but it is better than Flying Goose, and I can't get Huy Fong anywhere near here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Thanks guys,

Thanks!

Hi,

Mr Simms on Dame St have a very small selection of (expensive) American stuff. Also Fresh across from Whelans have a small selection.

Have you tried Planet Candy http://www.planetcandy.ie/ they are also expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I'm sure you'd find Frosted Flakes on eBay, but you'll pay a pretty penny for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I actually don't know how the irish regulation is for food, but there is a big difference in taste of foods and even soda from anywhere in the world to here. Maybe they use less sugar, sodium, or the other bad stuff, which is better for your health, but not very tasty.

High fructose corn syrup is banned as a food ingredient in Europe whereas it's used in almost everything in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Hey, I'd recommend candyland, they are based in Galway and have cereals, snack, chocolate, jellys and drinks. They have a website; candyland.ie if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

• Advertisement

Oh, and Crunchy M&Ms which I also found in Candy Lab.

Are crunchy m&m's the same as crispy m&m's? :) there might be a taste difference I guess but crispy M&M's are readily available in all shops in a blue bag, I got some yesterday in Supervalue on offer at €1.50 (there my fav M&M's :). )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

rubadub wrote: »

Can you tell us where this magical Tesco is? I needs to get me some of them Twinkies :D

Are crunchy m&m's the same as crispy m&m's? :) there might be a taste difference I guess but crispy M&M's are readily available in all shops in a blue bag, I got some yesterday in Supervalue on offer at €1.50 (there my fav M&M's :). )

Almost the same. A long time ago they also had crispy blue pack M&Ms in the US, which was always my favorites.
    Then they stopped making them, and early this year they started selling this crunchy M&Ms which is a green bag. It's very similar to the blue one, but still a bit different in taste.

And yes, I tried buying the blue crispy M&Ms here in Ireland, but honestly, I didn't like it's taste, very different then the ones in the US.

Try the green bag crispy M&Ms and see the difference :)

sabat wrote: »
    High fructose corn syrup is banned as a food ingredient in Europe whereas it's used in almost everything in the States.

That explains!

I've also read a response somewhere in here from Kelloggs about Frosted Flakes and Froot loops having a different taste, and they mentioned that they are not allowed to use high quantities of sugar and salt and they are not allowed to use some food coloring and that makes the taste different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joannie

Candyland in Galway are very good. They also have an online service - candyland.ie, Orders under €50 only cost €50 to get delivered. And they're quick too. I've used them a lot.

Joannie wrote: »
    Candyland in Galway are very good. They also have an online service - candyland.ie, Orders under €50 only cost €50 to get delivered. And they're quick too. I've used them a lot.

I think you mean €5 to be delivered right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joannie

Oops! Yea, €5 for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can you tell us where this magical Tesco is? I needs to get me some of them Twinkies :D

It was ballybrack, but I was in again yesterday and that section was totally gone, there was an asian supermarket type shelf beside it to which is gone too. It might have moved elsewhere in the shop, I will check next time. The asian section had brands like east end, which are usually only in the asian supermarkets.

None of the products appeared on tesco online for me.

There was marshmallow fluff, nerds, lucky charms.

Twinkies show on tesco uk
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=281612923

you can actually browse a US section
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=peanut+butter+m%26ms&search=Search&N=4294697434&newSort=true&action=toggleProdListSize_4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hi,
    Also Fresh across from Whelans have a small selection.

Fresh in Grand Canal Dock has lots of American sweets (sorry, candy!) too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Jessme

Hi, I'm in Cork but the last time that I was in Brown Thomas here I saw a selection of American foods in their little deli/coffee/gifts area by the café. There were a few different cereals but I couldn't honestly tell you what else was there. It might be worth taking a look in BT Dublin.

Advertisement