Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once they're running on road diesel - which you can damn sure they aren't.

Agri diesel is for <50km/h only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I'd say I see cyclists using the motorway on about half my trips to Wexford - normally on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jd wrote: »
    I'd say I see cyclists using the motorway on about half my trips to Wexford - normally on a Saturday morning.

That is shocking. I travel the M9 daily and never see cyclists, these people are nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,775 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

road_high wrote:
    That is shocking. I travel the M9 daily and never see cyclists, these people are nuts.

It's because the N11 becomes the M11 & cyclists just stay on the road, whereas it's more difficult to get onto the M9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

L1011 wrote: »

Which means the restrictions must be totally unenforced because being caught with agri-diesel on the public road is serious enough.

Also, 50kph is a crazily low minimum cruising speed for a motorway; 80pkh would be much safer.

The tractors I've seen are still relatively crawling compared to the HGVs and the rest of the traffic; they often avoid obstructing the traffic by driving in the hard shoulder - which is also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Got an email from the Program and regulatory unit at the nra
    the nra wrote:
    The alternative route is the Wicklow Town Relief Road and the R772 ( previously the R751)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also, 50kph is a crazily low minimum cruising speed for a motorway; 80pkh would be much safer.
    The problem is though that it is not a minimum speed. All that is required by law is that the vehicle be capable of driving at 50km/h. They could then quite legally potter along at a lower speed if they wanted to. Utter madness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Alun wrote: »
    The problem is though that it is not a minimum speed. All that is required by law is that the vehicle be capable of driving at 50km/h. They could then quite legally potter along at a lower speed if they wanted to. Utter madness.

It is a minimum speed. The signs state No slow vehicles (under 50km/h).

And the ROTR state
    You must not enter a motorway if:

• your vehicle cannot travel at a speed of at least 50km per hour;

• Advertisement

It is a minimum speed. The signs state No slow vehicles (under 50km/h).
    That's what it rather simplistically says on the signs, but it's been discussed many times on other forums here (Motors, Transport) that it is not in fact a minimum speed, but a minimum attainable speed.

And the ROTR state
    You must not enter a motorway if:

• your vehicle cannot travel at a speed of at least 50km per hour;
    Exactly. That's not a minimum speed though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

L1011 wrote: »

Are you serious?? You have to use two different types of diesel? That doesn't sound practical?
    road_high wrote: »
    I also think it's shocking - I've never seen a cyclist on a motorway in Ireland.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I also think it's shocking - I've never seen a cyclist on a motorway in Ireland.
    I see them quite often on the M11, mainly the section between Fassaroe and the M50/M11 junction. Usually on Sundays and they're usually cycling club members plainly displaying their club names. I've reported them to Bray Gardai station, but you could almost hear them rolling their eyes skyward when I did, so I never expected anything to come of it. I've also reported cars parked in on ramps, and pedestrians crossing the M11 to get lifts from vans parked on the hard shoulder in the morning rush hour and got similar responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Alun wrote: »
    I see them quite often on the M11, mainly the section between Fassaroe and the M50/M11 junction. Usually on Sundays and they're usually cycling club members plainly displaying their club names. I've reported them to Bray Gardai station, but you could almost hear them rolling their eyes skyward when I did, so I never expected anything to come of it. I've also reported cars parked in on ramps, and pedestrians crossing the M11 to get lifts from vans parked on the hard shoulder in the morning rush hour and got similar responses.

Yeah, you see all sorts on that section! Blokes walking their horse up the hard shoulder, pedestrians with kids walking along. Tractors and cyclists are the least of the problems along there.

Tractors plodding along in the hard shoulder and cyclists are also common on the Ashford to Rathnew section. Guess as pointed out above, they are legally allowed on the N part and just keep going when it turns M.

The nra have followed up and sent me a map with the R772 draft redesignation shown
    the nra wrote:
    The route will be the R772, from Ashford to Rathnew then out towards the Wicklow Town Relief road, on to the relief road, through the two sets of traffic lights, then continue on the old R771, now the R772 towards the Beehive. In addition the road from Rathnew Hill is now the L1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

The nra have followed up and sent me a map with the R772 draft redesignation shown

They mean continue on the old R751 not 771
    So this is why they never gave the relief road a number because it was going to be designinted
    The R772 number once they completed the motorway sections.

Next question when are they going to update the road signs to reflect this?

That makes sense, the unnumbered relief road is the obvious route, not going into Wicklow town centre and back out.

Wonder why the new signs erected at the Beehive make no reference to the R772?

And on the other topic; you definitely see cyclists on the M11 frequently - it is very unusual on other motorways (though not tractors).

But Wickla is "blessed" with the most incompetent Local and other authorities in Ireland by a country mile - IMHO.

And on the other topic; you definitely see cyclists on the M11 frequently - it is very unusual on other motorways (though not tractors).

But Wickla is "blessed" with the most incompetent Local and other authorities in Ireland by a country mile - IMHO.

It's hardly the council's fault people are cycling on the M11. It's the design of the road that encourages cyclists to use it for short cuts, and it's the guards who don't patrol it in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

That makes sense, the unnumbered relief road is the obvious route, not going into Wicklow town centre and back out.

Wonder why the new signs erected at the Beehive make no reference to the R772?
    Had a proper look at the relief road, and yep, it's the best option. I guess they can't resign the roads until they are officially redesignated.
    Someone mentioned patched signs - maybe it says R772 under the patch!
    Main thing is that there will be a continuous alt route from M11

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's hardly the council's fault people are cycling on the M11. It's the design of the road that encourages cyclists to use it for short cuts, and it's the guards who don't patrol it in any meaningful way.

I said local and other authorities. 'Cos that is what I meant. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

OK, nice work. I won't look at the map (since I can't use it as a source for OSM), but if the relief road is part of the route and based on the description, are we looking at this routing?

http://osrm.at/dUL

If so, it would be interesting to know whether the preceding part of R750 is also be be renumbered.

What I find very odd about this is that the brand new signs erected at the beehive roundabout (which is itself brand new) refer to the road towards Wicklow as R751. So this will either have to be changed, a waste of money, or will be left like that for ages (typical Irish confusion).

For now, given the prominence of R751 on signs, I'm going to leave OSM as is and respect the ground truth. But I'd welcome any information about changes to signage, because it would be nice to finish the job.

mackerski wrote: »
    If so, it would be interesting to know whether the preceding part of R750 is also be be renumbered.

It is, and the port access road will be R752 (so that little section between the roudabout in Rathnew and the junction with the relief road is effectively both the R772 and R752)

mackerski wrote: »
    OK, nice work. I won't look at the map (since I can't use it as a source for OSM), but if the relief road is part of the route and based on the description, are we looking at this routing?

http://osrm.at/dUL

What I find very odd about this is that the brand new signs erected at the beehive roundabout (which is itself brand new) refer to the road towards Wicklow as R751. So this will either have to be changed, a waste of money, or will be left like that for ages (typical Irish confusion).

For now, given the prominence of R751 on signs, I'm going to leave OSM as is and respect the ground truth. But I'd welcome any information about changes to signage, because it would be nice to finish the job.

I'd say the nra aren't the people to redesignate R roads, nor are Wicklow Co. Co; so they have to comply with the existing designations for the time being.

It'ss the r772 all the way through Rathnew.

The lady at the nra said rathnew hill will become the l1100

There are roads which are 2 "R" routes, the Swords bypass is the r132 and r125

While the n52 and n6 are the same between Kilbeggan and Tyrellspass
    (or one route is discontinuous while it travels along the other route)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

It is, and the port access road will be R752 (so that little section between the roudabout in Rathnew and the junction with the relief road is effectively both the R772 and R752)

No, I'm pretty sure that it can only bear one of those numbers. You'll see in the SIs defining the national and regional roads that where two routes seem like they should multiplex, only one of the numbers applies and the other route is interrupted.

mackerski wrote:
    No, I'm pretty sure that it can only bear one of those numbers. You'll see in the SIs defining the national and regional roads that where two routes seem like they should multiplex, only one of the numbers applies and the other route is interrupted.

I did say "effectively" - in this case the R752 appears to be non continuous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So how many minutes are shaved off by the new motorway? The benefits in terms of safety will be huge.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So how many minutes are shaved off by the new motorway? The benefits in terms of safety will be huge.

comparing travelling at the limit on old road with the new road, only about 5 minutes; but obviously the old road was much more likely to be congested and you were quite likely to get stuck behind a tractor, JCB or Honda 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

comparing travelling at the limit on old road with the new road, only about 5 minutes; but obviously the old road was much more likely to be congested and you were quite likely to get stuck behind a tractor, JCB or Honda 50.

at least now yu have an overtaking lane when you come up behind them on this road :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

How did the first bank holiday Friday evening go?

Advertisement