Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are BAM the preferred tender?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Waze satvav app showing Camolin to work journey a 52 mins, was 63

3.6 days saved per year assuming heading up for 5 days 48 weeks of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    3.6 days saved per year assuming heading up for 5 days 48 weeks of the year :)

I get 44 hours, less than 2 days?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Roryhy wrote: »
    I get 44 hours, less than 2 days?
    44 hours = 1.8 days * 2 for the return = 3.6 days

Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I've traveled the new road in its entirety both ways 4 times. Three out of the four trips I saw a Garda pulled in using the gun. I obviously have no issues with speed checks but why are they checking speed on this new stretch of road an excessive amount. Usually I'd see a speed van or a guard about once a week on average on the old road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jd wrote: »
    Yes

Oh it's BAM and others I read !

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

MuddyDog wrote: »
    I've traveled the new road in its entirety both ways 4 times. Three out of the four trips I saw a Garda pulled in using the gun. I obviously have no issues with speed checks but why are they checking speed on this new stretch of road an excessive amount. Usually I'd see a speed van or a guard about once a week on average on the old road.

Easy pickings. Its not really about safety is it when motorways are the safest roads around. Plenty of dangerous 50kmph, 60kmph, 80kmph local and regional roads they could be enforcing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh it's BAM and others I read !
    Well yeah " BAM PPP PGGM and Iridium consortium"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MuddyDog wrote: »

They always do this on new sections of higher speed roads to get the habitual users to be habitual in their new habits - slow down.

They did it when the Shankill to Bray section opened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

They did it when the Shankill to Bray section opened.

And that wasn't today or yesterday :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No of course it wasn't - that stretch has been open for years. Keep up there at the back.:D

Patww79 wrote: »

Lets not forget that driving at the speed limit on motorways and Dual Carriageways is much more fuel efficient so that is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Antarctica wrote: »
    Lets not forget that driving at the speed limit on motorways and Dual Carriageways is much more fuel efficient so that is a good thing.

I know i'm derailing it but...

A person's time Time saved > the pennies you lose from Fuel inefficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

driving at the speed limit on motorways and Dual Carriageways is much more fuel efficient

No its not. I think maximum fuel efficiency is at less than 100Km/h. The Greens wanted to reduce the motorway limit for this reason.

loyatemu wrote: »
    No its not. I think maximum fuel efficiency is at less than 100Km/h. The Greens wanted to reduce the motorway limit for this reason.

Yes it is.

My point was that driving at the speed limit is much more efficient than driving well over the limit i.e. 10% and more.

I was not making a comparison with lower speeds, which I thought was obvious since the discussion was initially about the speed checks.

Anyway yeah I heard generally speaking 80kmph is the most efficient, highest gear with low revs.

I know i'm derailing it but...

A person's time Time saved > the pennies you lose from Fuel inefficiency.

Yes for many people time is money unfortunately but what about the environment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes it does - every crash costs money - insurance ,medical bills, lost economic productivity. Not to mention a personal tragedy.
    Each crash you prevent saves money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yes for many people time is money unfortunately but what about the environment.
    So, a person in a Nissan Leaf can go as fast as they want? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The system should be set up so that you do not have to greatly limit your behaviour in order to avoid environmental damage. Why does getting around in a vehicle damage it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Great road, nice and quiet surface, slightly shorter journey time, now all we need is to get people to drive properly on it! Impossible to drive on cruise control what with all the overtaking lane hoggers and people overtaking you then pulling in in front of you and slowing down to 115kph to make up for having had to break the speed limit to overtake you going a steady 120kph in the driving lane ;)

Hopefully it will all settle down after a while.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Great road, nice and quiet surface, slightly shorter journey time, now all we need is to get people to drive properly on it! Impossible to drive on cruise control what with all the overtaking lane hoggers and people overtaking you then pulling in in front of you and slowing down to 115kph to make up for having had to break the speed limit to overtake you going a steady 120kph in the driving lane ;)

Hopefully it will all settle down after a while.

I've often thought our motorways would work much better and be a lot safer if 120kph was the minimum speed allowed in the overtaking lane and that you can accelerate to, say, 150kph while actually overtaking. :cool:

I do, ergo, you are wrong :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Nobody in Ireland knows how to use the word nobody.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The majority don't.

And this majority really do hinder the minority from effectively using a motorway/dual carraigeway. But shur it doesn't matter, speed kills so there's no point enforcing any other rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Motorways and, well, decent roads in general are a fairly new concept to Ireland, so it's not at all surprising many motorists are still struggling to understand what the overtaking lane is for. Or the "fast lane" as many call it. How did other countries in the 60's cope when motorways arrived?

And this attitude is the worlds number one problem.

Even the pope is speaking up about it now.

• Advertisement

And this attitude is the worlds number one problem.

Even the pope is speaking up about it now.

A guy who believes in the Virgin Mary believes in global warming?

Hardly an endorsement of the science! :rolleyes:

Advertisement