Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

Fysh wrote: »
    I read Millar & Parlov's Starlight yesterday after finding it in my local library and was very impressed - I think the last time I read something by Millar that felt this genuine and uncynical was American Jesus (and even that had that line at the end to let the side down...). But this was just great - a wonderful European-influenced ligne claire sort of style with a few hints at being inspired by Moebius, and a story that was all the more powerful and affecting by not trying to cater to the baser instincts of 15 year old boys.

Not read it myself but have been curious to pick it up. I really don't like Millar's work but when he reins it in a little he can be decent, just has a tendency to appeal to immature 13 year olds far too often.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not read it myself but have been curious to pick it up. I really don't like Millar's work but when he reins it in a little he can be decent, just has a tendency to appeal to immature 13 year olds far too often.

I don't know that I'd say buy it or anything, but unlike much of his work over the last 10 years I think it's at least worth a read. Whatever his IMO numerous failings as a writer, he's got great taste in artistic collaborators and I really enjoyed Parlov's artwork as a change of pace from what the Direct Market normally has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Read chrononauts #3 today, I'm still not sure where it's going but I was smiling the whole way through!

Also got Howard the duck #3, he is a funny ducker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As a huge Dune fan, I absolutely love the name of Secret Wars #2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Planning to finish of Dark Knight Returns today and the weekend. Had it for about three years gathering dust and brought it with me on a trip recently and loved it, so hopefully will finish that off.

Was in Easons yesterday having a casual browse of their Dept 51 section and saw Planet Hulk collection for €17. I'd heard some guys in work saying it was brilliant, and for the size of the content just picked it up on a whim. So might move into that shortly also.

I saw Civil war 1-7 there also for €20 which looked a decent deal, but I picked up a digital copy for €5. After the recent Avengers film kind of interested to branch out from DC and read more Marvel stuff.

Still moving through 52 Batman and Justice league, albeit pace has slown down dramatically(my reading comes in waves) but very much enjoying both immensely.

On a slightly seperate note, while I see the appeal of owning physical copies of stuff, and enjoy watching a collection grow, the pricing point on graphic novels and collections is so drastically out of kilter I'm pretty much exclusively digital. Google Play is excellent and seems to have every comic or volume I'm looking for, for really good prices. I guess I was so taken a back by Planet Hulk in Easons, was that it was the same price as digital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Have bought and read the first 40 convergence tie-ins with maybe 12 or so being a good read, I have also read the first five issues so far of the main story and it's stupid so far, my local store didn't get me my variants for this week so I may abandon it for Secret Wars instead, issue one was very good.

Wow, fair play for giving it a go.... I've only read the main series #0&1 so far but was not blown away.... Will finish out the main series but doubt I'll bother with anything else.

Read Secret Wars Number 2 and quite enjoyed it, I'm intrigued now find out more and read one or two of the tie-ins. Resources are limited so will have to choose carefully!

Read Secret Wars Number 2 and quite enjoyed it, I'm intrigued now find out more and read one or two of the tie-ins. Resources are limited so will have to choose carefully!

Agreed; Hickman's kinda knocking it out of the park with this event so far. I wasn't gonna bother with tie-ins but I reckon I'll try out some of the more interesting looking ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Agreed; Hickman's kinda knocking it out of the park with this event so far. I wasn't gonna bother with tie-ins but I reckon I'll try out some of the more interesting looking ones.

Hickman in general usually has things planned out like 50 issues in advance so I do find him to be consistent.

All the tie-ins are continuing to at least December and replace most of the regular books so it's going to be hard to avoid them

Thwip! wrote: »
    Hickman in general usually has things planned out like 50 issues in advance so I do find him to be consistent.

All the tie-ins are continuing to at least December and replace most of the regular books so it's going to be hard to avoid them

I guess I gotta do some research so...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Currently reading Lucifer, Booke One...

As a massive fan of The Sandman, and the worlds he revolves in, I finally got my hand on this bumper volume..

349148.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Book-One-Mike-Carey/dp/1401240267/ref=pd_cp_14_1/180-5493034-1690956?ie=UTF8&refRID=12MJ5DGBJZD4QEVS1J55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Vulture has a lengthy article on the Ultimate Marvel universe.
    (I reached out to Loeb for an interview but was told he would only speak with me if we didn’t discuss Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

http://www.avatarpress.com/thecourtyard/

Was home in Ireland to vote over the weekend and had a bit of time to look through the few thousand comics I left behind when I moved (these WILL be coming over here someday!) and came across an artist signed copy of The Courtyard by Alan Moore (two part mini series). I think this was part of a Moore heavy collection I bought years ago but hadn't read it in a long time.

Like most Alan Moore stuff, this was a great read, basically a supernatural crime thriller (?), although like most Moore stuff, it's harder to categorise than most. I imagine it would be cheap enough to pick up a copy so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Currently on my third read-through of Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key, which I recommend to all sentient beings.

Kev W wrote: »
    Currently on my third read-through of Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key, which I recommend to all sentient beings.

the First 6 Volumes of Locke and Key are part of the HumbleBundle Books Bundle for the next two weeks, so many people have recommended it recently that I will have to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wife bought me the first three volumes of Transmetropolitan for my birthday, so should be starting them over the weekend.

Wife bought me the first three volumes of Transmetropolitan for my birthday, so should be starting them over the weekend.

Good wife.

The Superior Spider-Man 3

Fear Itself: Secret Avengers

Secret Avengers: Run the Mission, Don't Get Seen, Save the World
    - Meh, it's fine but it's possibly the weakest Warren Ellis material that I've read (Planetary/Extremis/Ultimate FF/Dark Avengers/previous volumes of Secret Avengers).

New Avengers 4
    (AvX)
    New Avengers 5

Avengers 4
    (AvX)
    Avengers 5

The Wicked + The Divine 1: The Faust Act
    - Props for the punny volume title. Yep, I'm on board. Though I was with Gillen/McKelvie's run on Young Avengers for the first volume as well so I'll have to see how it goes.

The Unwritten 4: Leviathan

Cinderella: Fables Are Forever
    - Liked it a lot. Cinderella vs.
    Oz's Dorothy
    . Some confusing moments where the art doesn't reflect the speech balloons such as referring to two characters who look nothing like the people she's talking about, and action doesn't look like
    Dorothy took her to her limit
    . But yeah,
    Dorothy being a killer because she was rewarded twice for the death of witches
    makes sense and the
    glass slipper vs. silver slipper
    premise is neato.

Fables: The Deluxe Edition 10
    - Werewolves of the Heartland is just about lip service to Fables, really. Could more or less replace Bigby with any generic action man.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Started the following comics:

Nailbiter - Absolutely fantastic story. Haven't been reading comics for a huge period of time but it's easily one of the more violent ones I've read. Very enjoyable.

Star Wars/Darth Vader - Very much enjoying this new series particularly Darth Vader. Such a great character to focus in on and I'm enjoying it a lot.

We Stand On Guard - 1st of a 4 part series set in the future with Canada and America at war. Really interesting and even though I know it's only 4 parts, I really hope they extend it in the future. Really fascinating read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

That_Guy wrote: »

We Stand On Guard - 1st of a 4 part series set in the future with Canada and America at war. Really interesting and even though I know it's only 4 parts, I really hope they extend it in the future. Really fascinating read.

Is that the mecha war one? Looked interesting.
    What would you consider it similar to?

• Advertisement

the First 6 Volumes of Locke and Key are part of the HumbleBundle Books Bundle for the next two weeks, so many people have recommended it recently that I will have to go for it.

Currently on my second read through of Locke and Key, it is excellent, everyone should read it, immediately.

Also still up on secret wars and some of the tie ins, I'm really enjoying the main series and the tie ins are good too.

Squirrel Girl #7 from last week might be my highlight of the summer so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

New Marvel Civil War today is awesome, great twist on the original tale. 1872 is great too, Age of Apocalypse not so much though. Also bought Lando Calrissian Issue 1, pretty good start for this five piece Star Wars series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Squirrel Girl #7 from last week might be my highlight of the summer so far.

Yeah actually laughed at
    Her leaving all the Avengers knocked out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I read the Warren Ellis "Secret Avengers" trade recently, and it was pretty good, although I don't know if I'd ever go back to it again - it felt like a dry run for his later arc on Moon Knight. I liked the mixture of artists, though I found Jamie McKelvie's struggle with drawing Beast a bit ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

MarkHall wrote: »
    Is that the mecha war one? Looked interesting.
    What would you consider it similar to?

Yeah, it's a very good read. Visuals are great too.

To be honest, I'm the last person you should be asking what it might be similar to as I've only recently delved back into the world of comics.

Fysh wrote: »
    I read the Warren Ellis "Secret Avengers" trade recently, and it was pretty good, although I don't know if I'd ever go back to it again - it felt like a dry run for his later arc on Moon Knight. I liked the mixture of artists, though I found Jamie McKelvie's struggle with drawing Beast a bit ropey.

Forgot to mention it above but I liked the bit about time travel having to account for the Earth's orbit. Really should be brought into sci-fi more. Could be useful as a limitation.

I also forgot a question I had about Unwritten about what happens with travel between worlds being connected by theme when a new story is introduced. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Decided to move into buying physical, and away from digital. See the appeal of watching my collection grow on a shelf, and having the physical copy in my hand.

Plan to buy even the stuff I've read digitally. Mostly being on New 52 stuff.

Picked up Batman volume one in easons for €20. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Which Batman?

Done book 1 of Saga.
    Interesting world building. But it didn't really grab me.

Also picked up Transformers regeneration 1. Even feels like it did back in the 80s
    Hope to enjoy the full run

Just reread Batman Year One and am currently rereading The Long Halloween. I forgot how amazing Year One is. TLH is a little slower than I remember but still great.

Also just finished Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10, Vol 1 and Angel & Faith Season 10, Vol 1. Both great, particularly BTVS. Have been really enjoying them so far, love how it's a rolling storyline trough several seasons of both.

American Vampire vol 6 was another great read; can't get enough of this book!

Have a few other books on the shelf and a short stack of things to pick up this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I've just finished Batman year one and also DR Who 10th Doctor Volume one. Quite enjoyed the Batman one. Any suggestions on what Batman next to read?

The DR Who one I may need to read again. Started off poor but improved quite a bit

Advertisement