Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

I wish I had seen it before then. Ive worked in every town in Cavan, Louth, Monaghan and everything from Louth down to Swords in North Dublin for the last 4 years. Im an energy broker in the electric and gas market and all I usually deal with are small and medium enterprises. So I have a decent amount of first hand experience of the opening and closing of SME's in the North East.

Aside from Swords itself, which has a busy vibe most of the time, Sligo is far and away the most buzzing town. It is of importance to me how busy premises are as it will affect credit ratings and likelihood of a sale. So I pay attention to these details when Im out and about. Ive not seen a town in the areas Ive mentioned where the restaurants are so busy, yet they are still open and managing to keep afloat.

I have also noticed that there are a decent number of foreign tourists in the town as well.

I cannot argue that it may not be the place it was 15-20 years ago as I wasnt in Ireland then, but compared to many other areas it certainly is not on its knees just yet.

Good to hear your positive observation ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

il gatto wrote: »
    But Sligo is dying. The economic recovery is just people who've been fairly unaffected by the recession feeling safe to spend a bit again. In reality there's still jobs being lost almost as quick as they're being created, there's very little summer work for students, there's to all intents and purposes, no tourists worth talking about and even those with a few quid to spare hardly bother going out as they know the town is dead. Shops, restaurants, nightclubs etc. are still closing. Frequently.
    As someone who remembers how much fun the town was 15-20 years ago (as grubby as some of it was) i find it all very sad to see so many places going under and seeing deserted streets at night.

Yeah that's right, Sligo is fu*ked.
    The town, county and every man, woman and dog is doomed!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Fortunately, I believe, there are more positive people in Sligo than the glass fully empty merchants and many doomsayers who find it easiest to moan, gripe and bellyache.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Anyone been to, or know about the new restaurant on O'Connell St called Knox. A Google search only gives location and number, and that its name is possibly in reference, to O'Connell St former name, Knox Street.

I popped in to the place in the last week, I ordered mussels and herself ordered a BALT?
    The portion I got was a bit on the small side, was expecting it to be another 50% bigger considering it cost €10 but couldn't say it wasn't tasty! The sadwich looked lovely and she confirmed that it was. Must try the dessert menu next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Yeah that's right, Sligo is fu*ked.
    The town, county and every man, woman and dog is doomed!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Fortunately, I believe, there are more positive people in Sligo than the glass fully empty merchants and many doomsayers who find it easiest to moan, gripe and bellyache.

"Every man, woman and dog is doomed"? Did I say or even imply that?
    I don't find it easy to tell it how I see it. I just don't see all that much positive happening at the moment. I'm not an anything merchant. I have been affected by the recession on the majority of my friends and colleagues have. Many quite badly. Sure, some are coasting through it like the boom never ended and I'm happy for them. But I dislike the "I'm alright jack" element of Irish society that shout down anyone who says anything negative. So roll your eyes if it makes you feel superior. I couldn't care less.

I wish I had seen it before then. Ive worked in every town in Cavan, Louth, Monaghan and everything from Louth down to Swords in North Dublin for the last 4 years. Im an energy broker in the electric and gas market and all I usually deal with are small and medium enterprises. So I have a decent amount of first hand experience of the opening and closing of SME's in the North East.

Aside from Swords itself, which has a busy vibe most of the time, Sligo is far and away the most buzzing town. It is of importance to me how busy premises are as it will affect credit ratings and likelihood of a sale. So I pay attention to these details when Im out and about. Ive not seen a town in the areas Ive mentioned where the restaurants are so busy, yet they are still open and managing to keep afloat.

I have also noticed that there are a decent number of foreign tourists in the town as well.

I cannot argue that it may not be the place it was 15-20 years ago as I wasnt in Ireland then, but compared to many other areas it certainly is not on its knees just yet.

Swords is practically a suburb of Dublin. Hard to compare and no offence to Cavan and Monaghan but Sligo has always been of more significance due to historic size and location. It's population didn't increase much over the boom so has slipped down the pecking order nationally. However it still has the trappings of a center of local government and trade.
    It's always been a lively town compared to most midlands towns which can be very dull. That's (IMO) down to being a port and garrison town. The locals are more urban than say in Cavan or Longford towns which are very much rural towns and feel very sleepy.
    Sligo is more comparable to Galway, Tralee, Killarney etc. and as far as tourism goes, yes, better than the midlands but nowhere really compared to these places.
    It's a great town and hopefully they find a way to market it properly and capture some of the tourist money sloshing around down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The vast majority of my time was spent working in Drogheda and Dundalk, even spent a good bit of time working in Newry when I couldnt be bothered to drive far. I was living in Carlingford at the time so it was close.

Despite Drogheda and Dundalk being much larger, roughly double in size, there is a very different feel to it. Its hard to say without sounding offensive, but the overall feeling is one of poverty and a sense of defeat. I do not know about crime levels in Sligo as Ive only just moved, but it doesnt feel anywhere near as dodgy at night. I even walked my dog around town centre last weekend just to see and not even the slightest hint of grief.

The one thing that has truly impressed me, and my partner even commented on it herself when we were walking the dog, was how free of litter Sligo is. Its almost unnatural actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Despite Drogheda and Dundalk being much larger, roughly double in size, there is a very different feel to it. Its hard to say without sounding offensive, but the overall feeling is one of poverty and a sense of defeat. I do not know about crime levels in Sligo as Ive only just moved, but it doesnt feel anywhere near as dodgy at night. I even walked my dog around town centre last weekend just to see and not even the slightest hint of grief.

That's because Sligo isn't "dodgy" at night.

I have walked the streets hundreds of times from 11pm-1am, and observed nothing dramatic or dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Sligo is a pretty safe town. Though somebody did try to mug me once about 1 months ago.

Apparently he had only gotten out of jail a couple of days beforehand, and I think he's back in there now.

I would regularly be around town late at night, and never really see any sort of trouble.

The vast majority of my time was spent working in Drogheda and Dundalk, even spent a good bit of time working in Newry when I couldnt be bothered to drive far. I was living in Carlingford at the time so it was close.

The one thing that has truly impressed me, and my partner even commented on it herself when we were walking the dog, was how free of litter Sligo is. Its almost unnatural actually.

It's not too bad really. Was probably worse years ago. Only hassle I've ever had was after kicking out time on Saturday nights. Usually around a fastfood. Same for most if my friends.
    There used to be a lot if litter but they have the road sweeper out most nights now and there's not too many out most nights to make a mess.
    Don't get me wrong. I love Sligo and I think it has huge potential. At the moment though, it is mainly potential as a combination of Sligo Co Co, Tourism Ireland and numerous other bodies suckling at the public purse have let Sligo down. Including it's elected representatives. This time of year you should be able to go out any night of the week and the town center should be buzzing. Like Galway, Killarney etc. That's what I would like for Sligo. To be on the tourism map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

prodsc wrote: »
    Miso Korean and Japanese cafe where the series of Chinese restaurant were. Opening officially tomorrow(Sunday) but having a 1/2 price tasting day today. Didn't see a menu on the outside.

Anyone given this a try yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

prodsc wrote: »
    Miso Korean and Japanese cafe where the series of Chinese restaurant were. Opening officially tomorrow(Sunday) but having a 1/2 price tasting day today. Didn't see a menu on the outside.

Had the ramen soup, tasty and filling dinner. Would like to see this place succeed. Will definitely go again but will give it a while to give them time to get their feet. Even if the food is good, the location and Sligo's obsession with pizza, etc, it is going very difficult for it to survive. I really do hope that people give it a try.

On another point, had Thai curry for lunch in casa mia last week, not good. I suppose it's my own fault for ordering Thai in an Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Had the ramen soup, tasty and filling dinner. Would like to see this place succeed. Will definitely go again but will give it a while to give them time to get their feet. Even if the food is good, the location and Sligo's obsession with pizza, etc, it is going very difficult for it to survive. I really do hope that people give it a try.

On another point, had Thai curry for lunch in casa mia last week, not good. I suppose it's my own fault for ordering Thai in an Italian.

What even is A Casa Mia? In their own self proclaimed "Italian Quarter" but a confused mash of Spanish/Italian/french/Irish on their menu. Last couple of meals I had there were awful. Now I'd just call in for a glass of wine, not the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah hasn't been the same since the changed the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

The Coragh Dtonn is open again after many many years closed.
    Not open as a pub cum dance venue any longer but as a cafe with a wine bar while also features a gallery.
    Ran, I believe, by the same folks that run Osta Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I seen work going at he shop opposite the bus station looks like it could be reopening

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sligono1 wrote: »
    I seen work going at he shop opposite the bus station looks like it could be reopening

Same as. The guy who manages centra in maugheraboy was in there as well so it looks like they've taken it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It would be great to see a surf shop open in Sligo. There was one called Outsider? Not sure about the name. But I always tried to support it. Got a really good wetsuit there and a few boogie boards for the kids. Always brought wax or a leash when I passed by to support local. Unfortunately, they're battling with the massive UK warehouse online scene. Maybe the bad exchange rate will prompt a shop?

Tom Hickey's a great outdoor entrepreneur for surf stuff in Sligo. Brought a lovely longboard from him and a few bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Good to see it opened again always found it handy and have missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It would be great to see a surf shop open in Sligo. There was one called Outsider? Not sure about the name. But I always tried to support it. Got a really good wetsuit there and a few boogie boards for the kids. Always brought wax or a leash when I passed by to support local. Unfortunately, they're battling with the massive UK warehouse online scene. Maybe the bad exchange rate will prompt a shop?

Tom Hickey's a great outdoor entrepreneur for surf stuff in Sligo. Brought a lovely longboard from him and a few bits and pieces.

There is one called Sunset Watersports, although its in a very quiet area. I only can across it going to Sat Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Whereabouts is this?

The Coragh Dtonn is open again after many many years closed.
    Not open as a pub cum dance venue any longer but as a cafe with a wine bar while also features a gallery.
    Ran, I believe, by the same folks that run Osta Cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst surfing is not its specialty does Call Of The Wild not do Surf equipment.

But yes, I do miss the Surf and Skate shop from Rockwood Parade. Whilst do not partake in them activities, I do like some of the clothing and brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

johnire wrote: »
    Whereabouts is this?

In Skreen, opposite the Co-op beside the old handball alley

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It would be great to see a surf shop open in Sligo.
    There is one in Adelaide st Sligo...the back of the blue building faces the inner relief road, and its got big writing on it Sunset Watersports shop.
    T-Bird wrote: »
    Sunset Watersports, although its in a very quiet area. I only can across it going to Sat Planet.
    I find the area is very suitable because its nearly opposite the Dunnes car park and yet you can drive up to the door and its got free customer parking ...very handy for loading etc when I bought a surfboard there. Some of my friends from Dublin got wetsuits from there (and a few from Waterford got them online from Sunset), as the selection and prices are better.

I saw some activity recently ( perhaps shopfitters measuring up or something?) in the unit beside is it O'Brien sandwich bar / the Rooftop restaurant...wonder if anything is going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I see the ice cream parlor in Johnson court is open for business again!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Vlove wrote: »

Was that not Quayside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

No one can beat Fabio's though! Great guy, even better gelato!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Mauds seem to be taking it over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Mauds seem to be taking it over!

Mauds is like the Lazarus of the Sligo business world, does he just have the small kiosk in the Quayside at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I believe Connolly's pub is closed and due to re-open under new management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Cullens also to open under new management

Advertisement