Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Books rip offs

Options
  • 25-07-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

I ordered this book for my daughter today, I am looking forward to discovering what amazing new discovery in Maths that Folens have discovered that will justify them charging €16.40 for this book. Surely they can't be just rehashing existing knowledge and basically just copying and pasting that stuff and charging people this extortionate sum? This is crazy.
    Educate Together schools are definitely a step in the right direction. But we have hopefully moved on. The next battle has to be about this nonsense of €16 maths books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

2+2=5 now, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bajer101 wrote: »
    I ordered this book for my daughter today, I am looking forward to discovering what amazing new discovery in Maths that Folens have discovered that will justify them charging €16.40 for this book. Surely they can't be just rehashing existing knowledge and basically just copying and pasting that stuff and charging people this extortionate sum? This is crazy.
    Educate Together schools are definitely a step in the right direction. But we have hopefully moved on. The next battle has to be about this nonsense of €16 maths books.

What's the problem again?

€16 is not extortionate for a school book. They're usually reasonably priced, and if you're complaining about the cost of school books at primary level, wait till your daughter is in college and you'll find out all about the extortionate cost of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

There's a lot of colour in the maths books compared to other subjects and they are among the biggest in size with more pages. Paper quality is usually good

I think it just comes down to cost of production for a big book to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you think education is expensive try ignorance.

Make sure your daughter gets value from it for the year. Help her with homework, encourage her. It will all pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My reaction was to produce my own maths books for my kids.

The sound of victory is my son reciting his durpteen times tables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Surely they can't be just rehashing existing knowledge and basically just copying and pasting that stuff and charging people this extortionate sum?

It's the same knowledge, just adjusted to make it easier for people to learn I would imagine. Just think of it like an OS, its the same system at the core just new features etc.. V.1 V.2 V.3 etc..

The question I would be asking myself is the book any good with to begin with if its on like v.7 then it might be good.

I am studying CCNA, have access to all the CCNA v.1 stuff, but they changed to v.2 so depending on what's added in / taking out, its just easier to by the book and know whats in the v.2 and use the v.1 stuff to assist as the core concepts of a subject will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Crikey, if E16 is bad, wait until they hit college.

Books can easily be E60-90. It's a total disgrace still. Biology by...argh, I'll edit it in when I find it. It's on about the 16th Ed. every few years, and it rarely changes more than the blasted chapter numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Books can easily be E60-90. It's a total disgrace still. Biology by Campbell and Reece. It's on about the 16th Ed. every few years, and it rarely changes more than the blasted chapter numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Samaris wrote: »

Books can easily be E60-90. It's a total disgrace still. Biology by...argh, I'll edit it in when I find it. It's on about the 16th Ed. every few years, and it rarely changes more than the blasted chapter numbers.

It can be had on amazon for ~£25 used, there should be no need of getting the newest edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

2+2=5 now, apparently.

What point are you trying to make? My point is that €16 is a crazy amount of money to charge for basically copying and pasting the work of other people.

€16 is not extortionate for a school book. They're usually reasonably priced, and if you're complaining about the cost of school books at primary level, wait till your daughter is in college and you'll find out all about the extortionate cost of books.

What sort of argument is that? €16 is not expensive, because it will be more expensive later! Please address the point about the €16 book that this thread is about. If you have an issue about the costs of third level costs, start your own thread.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    If you think education is expensive try ignorance.

Make sure your daughter gets value from it for the year. Help her with homework, encourage her. It will all pay off.

Cool story bro, but what has that got to do with the point I am arguing about having to pay more than €15 for a basic maths book? There are no copyright or patent issues here. I just paid €15 to buy a book that cost **** all to produce and which had nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I saved a fortune last year by buying slightly older versions of college books. One particular book was around €50 new. I found a perfect second-hand copy for €3.99 (including postage) on Play.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Who gives a fuck?

Use Facebook for this trivial shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Just pray she doesn't want to go to Art School! We had to get the usual expensive books and expensive art materials on top of that

Gerard Craughwell, the former TUI President, was on tv the other night (I assume you all watch Oireachtas Report on RTÉ tv at 3am). His whole speech was about the damage all these books are doing to kids' backs and he was passionately arguing for electronic books.

He is 100% correct, but I'm lost as to who pays for it when kids lose them and can't afford new ones, etc. Just glancing at many of these books, it doesn't take long to find factual inaccuracies in you have a good grasp of the subject. A lot of schoolbooks seem to be put together in a hurry without proofreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Nib wrote: »
    Who gives a fuck?

Yeah, 'cos After Hours just isn't the place for trivial nonsense.

Now, excuse me while I have a read of the "Racist Aliens" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I did four years in college and didn't buy one book. You get them all in the college library for free.

What point are you trying to make? My point is that €16 is a crazy amount of money to charge for basically copying and pasting the work of other people.

It's not just copying and pasting the work of other people though. Printing costs, distribution costs, staff costs to make sure the information is accurate and complies with the curriculum...

€16 is the price of two packs or smokes, or three pints, for a book that your daughter will get months of use out of. Is there a book scheme in your school you can avail of? That would make the cost of the books easier on you.

What sort of argument is that? €16 is not expensive, because it will be more expensive later! Please address the point about the €16 book that this thread is about. If you have an issue about the costs of third level costs, start your own thread.

Well it's all relative - you're cribbing about the cost of books now and I'm telling you €16 for a maths book is not by any standard extortionate. In fact there are moves on to cut down on the number of workbooks used by students at primary school level which are where the real profits are for publishers, go figure! Because you can't sell them on at all.

Cool story bro, but what has that got to do with the point I am arguing about having to pay more than €15 for a basic maths book? There are no copyright or patent issues here. I just paid €15 to buy a book that cost **** all to produce and which had nothing new.

Actually there are copyright issues. That's why teachers can't just go photocopying books willy nilly and handing them out to students. I don't think you're genuinely aware of how much a book costs to produce if you think it cost fcuk all to produce.

The math just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

anna080 wrote: »
    I did four years in college and didn't buy one book. You get them all in the college library for free.

+1

Why buy them when you can take them out of the library for a month?

anna080 wrote: »

I've no doubt obviously that’s what some people do, and even then it depends on the course you're doing, but it's far from the norm in fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Nib wrote: »
    Who gives a fuck?

I give a **** - that is why I created a thread to discuss the issues. A lot of other adults also care about this. I realise that it won't be an issue for you because it is a discussion about being the parent of a child and that usually involves finding a woman who will let you have sex with her. Good look with that. In the meantime, fúck off and let the grown ups talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Mods -please move to parenting or education forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I give a **** - that is why I created a thread to discuss the issues. A lot of other adults also care about this. I realise that it won't be an issue for you because it is a discussion about being the parent of a child and that usually involves finding a woman who will let you have sex with her. Good look with that. In the meantime, fúck off and let the grown ups talk.

Well, I never!! I nearly dropped my monocle into my sherry.

Wouldn't this not be better discussed in the education forums, but in a more polite setting.

"Foul mouthed temperamental brats" forum...

Oh, they got rid of the thunder dome, didn't they :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What about this then?

That's my subscription to Busy at Maths 3 out the window.

Pól and Síle better fcuk off with their subh

Anne and Barry, you Nazi cun....t...z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Folens and their schoolbook cartel! Unstoppable and above the law for decades.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mod note:

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

This thread is far too derailed to be moved now but can we please get back on topic?

OP, if you start a thread in a more appropriate forum, I'll close this. To be honest, I wouldn't know which forum would be appropriate for this if you're looking to discuss all schoolbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Buy books in university? Are you mad? I went to university and never bought a single book.

Failed every f**king subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

You don't even need to wait for college for book prices to go up from 16 euro. Wait untill first year in secondary school, 16 euro may not even get a second hand maths book. And higher level students usually need 3 maths books for junior cert!
    Now multiply that by 11/12 subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

But seriously, the books isn't just the actual maths in it - it has (the publisher believes) been designed so the material will be accessible to the students, help the teacher present the material, facilitate learning and so on. All this might need to be revised based on stuff like teacher feedback, or because of decisions made by the Dept of Education, or their own research on the best practices in teaching maths.

That is going to be how maths books differ from each other, as the maths itself isn't going to change.

Not to say it's worth the money, but it's more than just the maths itself in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

The best thing to do in this situation is to buy a ropey convertable and get mad in to the golf. I'd also suggest listening to Billy Joel and having a long hard look at Miriam.

Advertisement