Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

Thats quite a coincidence because prior to that video i had never heard of a Health Psychologist. lol, yeah, should have all that "experience and wisdom". At this point one might just have to say, i know i will like the course and i know i will like the future me i am working towards becoming... and the rest.... well i will just deal with on the way! That's the way i am trying to think about it now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

loopylulu wrote: »
    Cheers for that link. My mum's a health psych and is encouraging me to do it.
    I'm 30 soon, if I was younger I'm sure I wouldn't have worried so much. Although I guess we will have experience and wisdom on our side now!

I've just turned 30 and will be sitting the GAMSAT in Sept. I doubt I'll pass 1st or potentially even 2nd time as I've zero science background. But its something I've wanted to do and regretting not trying would eat me up. Think about it this way. When qualified you will effectively practice for as long as you've been in this world. Thats a long time doing something you will love. That's my reasoning behind it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I've just turned 30 and will be sitting the GAMSAT in Sept. I doubt I'll pass 1st or potentially even 2nd time as I've zero science background. But its something I've wanted to do and regretting not trying would eat me up. Think about it this way. When qualified you will effectively practice for as long as you've been in this world. Thats a long time doing something you will love. That's my reasoning behind it :)

How do you know you will "love" it? Do you realise the long hours they work for very mediocre pay? You won't see much of your family/friends. You won't have much time for social/family gatherings. You literally live in the 'job'. Be prepared to have no life outside of the hospital wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

GeneralC are you a doctor? Junior doctor? Medical student? I hope I'm wrong but your comment sounds a little 'rain on the parade' to people on the forum who are currently anxious/excited about the possibility of embarking on a new course/career, many of whom, I think I'm correct in assuming have wanted this for a long time.
    I also think that people who do attempt and study; especially 'graduate' medicine do not go in with their eyes closed. They do their research, they know what the job entails and how much work and sacrifice goes in to being successful, and surely they are the type of doctors we all want; those that actually want to be there. People wouldn't put themselves through the hardship, stress, financial or otherwise unless they really wanted it and felt that they would indeed 'love it'. And just in my opinion, going into it with such a positive outlook really is half the battle. Best of luck everyone awaiting an offer, congrats on getting through the gamsat, and those who didn't don't give up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

GeneralC wrote: »
    How do you know you will "love" it? Do you realise the long hours they work for very mediocre pay? You won't see much of your family/friends. You won't have much time for social/family gatherings. You literally live in the 'job'. Be prepared to have no life outside of the hospital wards.

I am with GeneralC on this I am sorry to say.

I wish it was better for Doctors in Ireland, that way there would be better health care for Patients. Long hours for very mediocre pay is reality. Often the hours are "hidden by the HSE". Not being available for family/friends is reality too. I am not talking about just the first couple of years. That's before you even begin to consider the pressure to perform sometimes way above your comfort zone.

All of this adds to the stress for Doctors even for those without debt.

Take a look at Enough Is Enough on Facebook.

Where are the GEM Doctors who are now out working in the hospitals? What advice do they have for aspiring Doctors?

I know the GEM's currently in college often say it is great, but that lasts for only a few short years before reality has to be faced. I have no interest in "raining on parades". However, I think it is better to be informed. I wouldn't base a decision on the contract either.

• Advertisement

Firstly, have a look back over GeneralC's past posts on boards. (a fellow GAMSAT/GEM hopeful)

Secondly, objections J.mcfrmd makes regarding the HSE are not without their merit however that is the HSE and not doctors.

Putting the first two points to the side, i simply cant draw a parallel with the perspectives of J.mcfrmd or GeneralC's. GEM threads are, unfortunately, full of them and such are myopic.

People talk as if doctors are the only college graduates, working hard, completing long hours for seemingly little pay and under bad management.

During my mid twenties i was working two jobs. Both of which were high responsibility. Completed on average 60 hours a week and frequently 70+ in busy periods. Now in my later twenties i am only working one job and frequently do 55 hour weeks. Was i always paid "appropriately", no! Did i see my friends and family frequently, no! Did i always have great management, no!

So i hear some of you saying why am i/why did i do that....the answer is simple... because i liked what i was doing, i liked how i was contributing value to those around and me, because i was passionate about what i was doing. (If u dont understand that or think i am crazy, then i cant help you)

Was i stressed or under pressure, yes! But that stress, was for the most part positive and motivational, and as i highlighted in an earlier post, it has been empirically shown that stress, in and of itself, is not a problem. How we engage with stress is the problem (learn more here https://youtu.be/RcGyVTAoXEU )

If ur focus in life is money and prestige with comfortable hours....then stop looking at medicine as a job!! This is looking at a job for what it gives you...and you will be let down.

If you are looking at medicine thinking what you can give and why you want to give it...then u are off to a good start!

I think too many people are looking at medicine for the wrong reason and thats where the conversation should focus and not on it being a tough job...there are loads of tough jobs out there. Sure the HSE needs to get its act together but at the same time some doctors should question why they are doing the job they are doing. And, as i said, folks who hope to become doctors should question their motives for getting into the profession...not only wondering what the profession will give the.

Over the course of my gamsat/gem journey i have read so much focusing on the hours, pay and hse management. This is working condition, this is some of "what" the job gives. And while important it is not the only point, at least not to me.

So, can well intended people please stop hijacking good threads evangelising the negative aspects of "what" the profession offers (because the same is true of so many professions)

The conversation, if any, that needs greater awearness is "why" people enter the profession.

To close my rant, i acknowledged it as such :), i will paraphrase Alan Greenspan...I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant... that is to say, if i have communicated poorly then please give me the benefit of the doubt.

Suffice it to say, i, like many, want a job that pays me correctly. I, like many, want good working conditions. i, like many, want a good work life balance....whatever that means to each of us. I, like many, hope to create meaning and value in the life of others and myself. And i, like many, see the the difficulties within the irish medical sector (As in other sectors). yet, no matter how much i might attempt to dissuade myself or consider other professions or ways of life (lets face it, medicine is a way of life) ....medicine is all that comes to mind and it wont go away. And it hasn't for ten years!! For that, and a myriad of other resson (some of which i dont even yet know), is "why" i want to study and practice medicine!

Hi j.mcdrmd I completely agree with everything you said. There are terrible inadequacies and working conditions for doctors in this country at present. But 'being better informed' - that was exactly my point... That most people who undertake the graduate medicine course are well aware of the working conditions and various stressors that exist within this career choice. Especially having done a degree, changing career etc, it's a big decision and one that would not be taken lightly. And often for such a big or bold move, or however you want to view it, maybe people should be commended, and feel happy for receiving a place on the course. And as there is so much truth and evidence for these difficult working conditions perhaps it is admirable that people are still willing to step up to the plate.

Durf wrote: »
    Firstly, have a look back over GeneralC's past posts on boards.

Secondly, objections J.mcfrmd makes regarding the HSE are not without their merit however that is the HSE and not doctors.

Putting the first two points to the side, i simply cant draw a parallel with the perspectives of J.mcfrmd or GeneralC's. GEM threads are, unfortunately, full of them and such are myopic.

People talk as if doctors are the only college graduates, working hard, completing long hours for seemingly little pay and under bad management.

During my mid twenties i was working two jobs. Both of which were high responsibility. Completed on average 60 hours a week and frequently 70+ in busy periods. Now in my later twenties i am only working one job and frequently do 55 hour weeks. Was i always paid "appropriately", no! Did i see my friends and family frequently, no! Did i always have great management, no!

So i hear some of you saying why am i/why did i do that....the answer is simple... because i liked what i was doing, i liked how i was contributing value to those around and me, because i was passionate about what i was doing. (If u dont understand that or think i am crazy, then i cant help you)

Was i stressed or under pressure, yes! But that stress, was for the most part positive and motivational, and as i highlighted in an earlier post, it has been empirically shown that stress, in and of itself, is not a problem. How we engage with stress is the problem (learn more here https://youtu.be/RcGyVTAoXEU )

If ur focus in life is money and prestige with comfortable hours....then stop looking at medicine as a job!! This is looking at a job for what it gives you...and you will be let down.

If you are looking at medicine thinking what you can give and why you want to give it...then u are off to a good start!

I think too many people are looking at medicine for the wrong reason and thats where the conversation should focus and not on it being a tough job...there a loads of tough jobs out there. Sure the HSE needs to get its act together but at the same time some doctors should question why they are doing the job they are doing. And, as i said, perspective doctors should question their motives for getting in to the profession...not wondering what the profession will give the.

Over the course of my gamsat/gem journey i have read so much focusing on the hours, pay and hse management. This is working condition, this is some of "what" the job gives. And while important it is not the central point, at least not to me.

So, can well intended people please stop hijacking good threads evangelising the negative aspects of "what" the profession offers (because the same is true of so many professions)

The conversation, if any, that needs greater awearness is "why" people enter the profession.

To close my rant, i acknowledged it as such :), i will paraphrase Alan Greenspan...I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant... that is to say, if i have communicated poorly then please give me the benefit of the doubt.

Suffice it to say, i, like many, want a job that pays me correctly. I, like many, want good working conditions. i, like many, want a good work life balance....whatever that means to each of us. I, like many, hope to create meaning and value in the life of others and myself. And i like see the the difficulties within the irish medical sector (As in other sectors). yet, no matter how much i attempt to dissuade myself or consider other professions or ways of life (lets face it, medicine is a way of life) ....medicine is all that comes to mind and it wont go away. And it hasn't for ten years!! For that, and a myriad of other resson (some of which i dont even yet know), is "why" i want to study and practice medicine!

Durf apologies, I posted my reply before seeing your comment! Also, well said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

I have no more interest in stalking GeneralC than I have in raining on parades. I simply commented on the arguments put forward by them.

Neither, at the time I asked you to look Enough Is Enough on Facebook, was I aware that the latest posts pointed towards a publication by Prof. Ciaran Bolger in the Irish Times.

So it seems that I agree, based on those publications, with both GenralC and Prof. Ciaran Bolger.

So be it.

At the end of the day it is all about health care for Patients. Simply wanting do deliver health care, even for nothing, is not the answer.

j.mcdrmd wrote: »
    I have no more interest in stalking GeneralC than I have in raining on parades. I simply commented on the arguments put forward by them.

Neither, at the time I asked you to look Enough Is Enough on Facebook, was I aware that the latest posts pointed towards a publication by Prof. Ciaran Bolger in the Irish Times.

So it seems that I agree, based on those publications, with both GenralC and Prof. Ciaran Bolger.

So be it.

At the end of the day it is all about health care for Patients. Simply wanting do deliver health care, even for nothing, is not the answer.

I also read Prof Ciaran Bolger's letter to the Irish Times, prior to reading your previous comment, and I also agree with everything he said. I also stand by everything I said previously. So be it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Durf wrote: »
    Firstly, have a look back over GeneralC's past posts on boards.

I think too many people are looking at medicine for the wrong reason and thats where the conversation should focus and not on it being a tough job...there are loads of tough jobs out there. Sure the HSE needs to get its act together but at the same time some doctors should question why they are doing the job they are doing. And, as i said, folks who hope to become doctors should question their motives for getting into the profession...not only wondering what the profession will give the.

Over the course of my gamsat/gem journey i have read so much focusing on the hours, pay and hse management. This is working condition, this is some of "what" the job gives. And while important it is not the only point, at least not to me.

Suffice it to say, i, like many, want a job that pays me correctly. I, like many, want good working conditions. i, like many, want a good work life balance....whatever that means to each of us. I, like many, hope to create meaning and value in the life of others and myself. And i, like many, see the the difficulties within the irish medical sector (As in other sectors). yet, no matter how much i might attempt to dissuade myself or consider other professions or ways of life (lets face it, medicine is a way of life) ....medicine is all that comes to mind and it wont go away. And it hasn't for ten years!! For that, and a myriad of other resson (some of which i dont even yet know), is "why" i want to study and practice medicine!

Care to expand on this please?

GeneralC wrote: »
    Care to expand on this please?

Clarified by editing original post. And, apologies if i am understanding incorrectly. i thought you seemed interested in GAMSAT/GEM.
    j.mcdrmd wrote: »
    ... latest posts pointed towards a publication by Prof. Ciaran Bolger in the Irish Times....

Hadn't read this, but now have. Good article, with good points and no disagreement from me. Likewise, my opinion remains the same.

Your points are good and valid, but perhaps, the conversation is better set in another thread.

Who goes into nurseries, play schools, primary schools, universities etc. passing out pessimistic statistics about the challenges each kid, teenager and young adult can statistically expect to encounter in life over the next 40-60 years of your life. And then top it off adding by the way everyone dies at the end!

Aught not constructive, realistic and optimistic approaches be taken with those seeking to build and create value in life... with a sprinkle of prudential pragmatism.

Suppose we think everyone here a mindless pleb indeed of illumination as to the woes of the medical sector. And but for the few who dare speak up and broadcast the hidden and esoteric details, all would never know?!

The topic you bring up is a good topic, needs focus, needs its own thread and greater public and political attention.

This thread seems to have started on a great positive collaborative intent. A thread where folks can share a common interest and share common hopes. A thread where folks can help each other get to where they want to be.

I may be grossly mistaken and utterly out of line... and if that is the case... i am sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

Thanks everyone for clearing up whether my transcripts and proof of commencement were adequate!

I suppose everyone who is applying for GEM is aware of the demands and long hours of this profession. The mediocre pay in Ireland can perhaps be solved by practicing abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

gaffer93 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for clearing up whether my transcripts and proof of commencement were adequate!

I suppose everyone who is applying for GEM is aware of the demands and long hours of this profession. The mediocre pay in Ireland can perhaps be solved by practicing abroad?

Before even talking about the profession, people should see how they get on in 1st year of the course.

I wouldn't mind the pay personally because it'll always be better than what I am earning in my current job. I'd feel differently if I was in debt though.

Before even talking about the profession, people should see how they get on in 1st year of the course.

I wouldn't mind the pay personally because it'll always be better than what I am earning in my current job. I'd feel differently if I was in debt though.

After all of the heartache and years taken to get medicine I think not enjoying the course isn't an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The pay is not all that bad, even in debt. Intern is 32k and that's not including overtime, SHO starts off at 39 rising 2/3k per year capping at 55 after 7 years

Reg is 50 capping at 60 after 6 years and Senior reg is 65 capping at 75 after 6 years.

It's hardly scraping the bottom of the barrel. Whether consultant is achievable for a lot of people starting in their 30's, I'm not to sure, but I'd rather be doing a job I've wanted to do all my life at the top end of the pay-scale @75k than getting 100k in a job I detested.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/nov13.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Take 2

For anybody that has just finished their undergrad and sent their transcripts, does it say anything under 'Third level education' on yer CAO application? It says no details entered on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kathryn15

Hey Take2, on my cao it says my degree and the score I achieved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Take 2

Kathryn15 wrote: »
    Hey Take2, on my cao it says my degree and the score I achieved too.

When did you send your transcripts? Did that information appear soon after you sent them? Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kathryn15

Take 2 wrote: »
    When did you send your transcripts? Did that information appear soon after you sent them? Thanks for the reply.

I sent them in January and when I checked my cao about two/three weeks ago it was updated to reflect this. I got a postcard from cao to confirm this back in February (I self-addressed one when I sent the transcripts in). According to another poster a few pages back the colleges are meeting this week and if they're not happy with the proof we've given apparently the cao will contact people individually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I only sent my transcripts in 2 weeks ago. My CAO hasn't been updated yet to reflect it other than the message at the top reminding me to send in my documents.
    I got the stamped envelope back from them last week though which I guess means they've received my transcripts

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tennisfan1

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information being posted here about the CAO process and offering of places. I was starting to panic because I hadn't heard anything from CAO for months so I am glad they will be contacting us in the next few weeks.
    I echo many of the opinions being voiced on this forum. At present I have a well paid job in the UK and have managed to save up quite a bit over the past few years. Seeing those savings being wiped out and probably needing a loan on top of that is something I'm really grappling with. At the same time, I have known for some time that being a doctor is what I really want to do with my life. I can think of no job that will give me greater satisfaction.
    Looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates in Cork this September! Now just need to find a house to live in, landlords on daft don't seem to like replying to me!

Kathryn15 wrote: »
    I sent them in January and when I checked my cao about two/three weeks ago it was updated to reflect this. I got a postcard from cao to confirm this back in February (I self-addressed one when I sent the transcripts in). According to another poster a few pages back the colleges are meeting this week and if they're not happy with the proof we've given apparently the cao will contact people individually!

Hi Kathryn,

I have no indication on my CAO that the transcripts are ok and i sent it in January too.
    I received a stamped envelope back and had a chance to view the transcripts that they sent a few months ago when they scanned the documents in. So they definitely got them but are they supposed to officially recognize this on my CAO profile? Under my Third Level Education heading is just my own description of the 2.1 degree i received. Are they supposed to change this themselves and put something more "official"?

Finally, I heard that CAO are supposed to send us an email around the 18th of July to acknowledge that our transcripts,etc are ok...did anyone get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

The closing date for sending transcripts was 15th, so I'd say the colleges only started reviewing the docs yesterday/today. Will probably be next week before we hear anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 GEM2015

I was wondering if anyone who got a score of 53 was offered a place in CAO round 0 for UL GEM 2014?

I scored 53 in March during final year of college and really don't want to have to take a year out to apply for GEM in UL again. The round 0 offers are out on July 30th but the wait is killing me. I have applied for GAMSAT UK in Birmingham come September and if I don't get a round 0 offer I am quitting my job to focus more on study for the month of August rather than just studying after work.

Any information from someone who got offered UL in 2014 with a score of 53 would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

GEM2015 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone who got a score of 53 was offered a place in CAO round 0 for UL GEM 2014?

I scored 53 in March during final year of college and really don't want to have to take a year out to apply for GEM in UL again. The round 0 offers are out on July 30th but the wait is killing me. I have applied for GAMSAT UK in Birmingham come September and if I don't get a round 0 offer I am quitting my job to focus more on study for the month of August rather than just studying after work.

Any information from someone who got offered UL in 2014 with a score of 53 would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to say but I don't think 53 will get you a round 0 offer...if anything the scores are going to go up a point or 2. I think 54 was the lowest score anyone got round 0 with 53 been random allocation.

Thanks for the reply JackD123.

Why do you think only 54 got a round 0 offer, is that a guess/assumption/your opinion? Just wondering. I'd be inclined to assume the same about 53 being a complete lottery score but I am holding out hope I suppose.

And by random allocation do you mean random round 0 allocation or that the 53's were pushed to round 1 or even 2?

Thanks for the reply JackD123.

Why do you think only 54 got a round 0 offer, is that a guess/assumption/your opinion? Just wondering. I'd be inclined to assume the same about 53 being a complete lottery score but I am holding out hope I suppose.

And by random allocation do you mean random round 0 allocation or that the 53's were pushed to round 1 or even 2?

No worries. I made my own enquiries with the CAO and GEM Limerick. 53 was the cut off but not everyone with 53 was offered a place,everyone with 54 or more got a place. Random allocation was for 53,basically they just give places to random people with 53 at round 0. The rest will have to wait for the next round for people who drop out/didn't get funding etc.

JackD123 wrote: »
    No worries. I made my own enquiries with the CAO and GEM Limerick. 53 was the cut off but not everyone with 53 was offered a place,everyone with 54 or more got a place. Random allocation was for 53,basically they just give places to random people with 53 at round 0. The rest will have to wait for the next round for people who drop out/didn't get funding etc.

Great Thanks, thats good information to know anyway. I'm sure they weren't able to give you the statistics but it would be interesting to know how many people with a 53 ended up getting into UL last year.

I have read on a previous post that someone contacted ACER and was told 700 people sat GAMSAT in Ireland 2015. A score of 53 this year was in the 40th percentile which narrows down the number of people competing for places to 420 (not including deferrals from last year). And there are 90 EU places in UL. I don't think those figures give me much hope to get accepted with a score of 53 unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Great Thanks, thats good information to know anyway. I'm sure they weren't able to give you the statistics but it would be interesting to know how many people with a 53 ended up getting into UL last year.

I have read on a previous post that someone contacted ACER and was told 700 people sat GAMSAT in Ireland 2015. A score of 53 this year was in the 40th percentile which narrows down the number of people competing for places to 420 (not including deferrals from last year). And there are 90 EU places in UL. I don't think those figures give me much hope to get accepted with a score of 53 unfortunately.

If the scores stay the same then you have a great chance. A lot of people don't pick Limerick simply due to it been new and unknown.

Worst that happens you don't.. you retake and go next year.

Advertisement