Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I just got my insurance renewal. I've been quoted €900+ fully comp by Axa. (Previously paying < €350)

I had an accident in January causing me to write off my car. (Black ice, hit wall- "own damage"). The claim has been settled and I'm now driving a car twice the value of my old one.

I was expecting a price hike post-claim and also with a higher value car, but shocked at how much it is.

I had step back on my policy and am on point 2 of their scale (60%). Full licence with 0 points on it since 2003.

Many websites won't quote me so I suppose I'll have to call a few insurers to get a price but has anyone experienced similar?

Do I have a leg to stand on in negotiating a lower price?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aglomerado wrote: »
    ...Do I have a leg to stand on in negotiating a lower price?

Hate to say it Aglo, but if you cost one of them a bunch a'money at some point they have you by the short-'n'-curly and they know it. Keep ringing around, you never know your luck in a small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hate to say it Aglo, but if you cost one of them a bunch a'money at some point they have you by the short-'n'-curly and they know it. Keep ringing around, you never know your luck in a small town.

Thanks Jim. If I could shave 50 off even, it would soften the blow somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

My insurance premium has jumped from €324 to €446 without any change to my policy this year. Is that in line with what others have been experiencing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dempsey wrote: »
    My insurance premium has jumped from €324 to €446 without any change to my policy this year. Is that in line with what others have been experiencing?

That's probably a higher than average increase however €324 is way under priced if it's for comp cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That's probably a higher than average increase however €324 is way under priced if it's for comp cover.

It was full comp cover. Good haggling! :D

Dont think ive anything to use as leverage this year though. All €500 quotes from other companies

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Phantasos

Any advice for a 27yo male with no previous named insurance cover? Looking to insure a 1.6 Golf. I'll be ringing everyone but some pointers would be good. I've had a few €1,300 quotes already... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

MugMugs wrote: »
    And were Kenn Co the underwriter for the policy which had the claim against it ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Moved from a 1.4 to 1.6 car a few months ago. Last year was paying 850-900. Just got my renewal and its jumped to 1400.

Although a claim against me for 2.5 years is still ongoing from so that's also affecting it. And I cant shop around either with an open claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Am due my Aviva quote any day now,had an accident earlier in the year that cost them 10,000+. Only paid €280 fully comp last year with no claims protection ( 2 unlimited claims over 3 years) so will be interesting, if that's the right word, to see what comes in this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm getting a very reasonable quote on 25plus.ie ... what's the catch? Are they a reputable insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So my renewal quote just landed.It was about €580 last year, so with another years no claims bonus penalty this years quote stands at €1,116....no accidents or claims at all & it's nearly doubled. Yes FBD, here, take my grand please :rolleyes:

Sigh, the quote hunting begins....hate this task but it's gotta be done

^^

€623 from First Ireland
    €669 from Liberty

Will keep looking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Mine is up for renewal on the 28th. Last year it was €452 and renewal quote from Axa was €877!!

Have it down to €550 but am getting a quote of €440 from 25plus.ie but never heard of them before so not sure about them. With Axa I have all the bells and whistles including being fully comp on any other car I drive and can't get anywhere near €550 with any other crowd.

As has been mentioned a few posts up has anyone any dealing with 25plus.ie before? Might try use their quote to try get a bit more off Axa.

mossy464 wrote: »
    Moved from a 1.4 to 1.6 car a few months ago. Last year was paying 850-900. Just got my renewal and its jumped to 1400.

Although a claim against me for 2.5 years is still ongoing from so that's also affecting it. And I cant shop around either with an open claim.

So 25plus.ie have quoted me 694 and I've provided details of the claim and amount too. So seems like a bargain.

Myrddin wrote: »
    So my renewal quote just landed.It was about €580 last year, so with another years no claims bonus penalty this years quote stands at €1,116....no accidents or claims at all & it's nearly doubled. Yes FBD, here, take my grand please :rolleyes:

Sigh, the quote hunting begins....hate this task but it's gotta be done
    Myrddin wrote: »
    ^^

€623 from First Ireland
    €669 from Liberty

Will keep looking...

Went with Chill.ie in the end for €630, their excess & benefits were better than First Ireland's. FBD had zero interest in retaining my business either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I am trying to insure a car, because I can't insure my own i was looking into "crappy other options" I would never drive but don't have a choice but those prices are totally unacceptable for someone that has a license for 9,5 years with age of 30.. and I chose the cheapest option available.
    If I try to insure my MX5 I get: Sorry.. we cannot quote you, or I get 2400+ euros a year quotes..

00D16713 : 2000 Civic 1.4 , 176,40 / month
    98DL6378 : 1998 Toyota Starlet 1.3, 136,20 / month
    01D18083 : 2001 Mazda 323 LX 1.3 Sedan, 156.07 / month
    02LK5672 : 2002 VAUXHALL CORSA, 122,01 / month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Can anyone tell me what this bull**** means as quite a few companys online have come up with this ?

"You do not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel."
    Oh and i'm 46 with full no claims , no penalty points and no medical conditions in a family car.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this bull**** means as quite a few companys online have come up with this ?

"You do not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel."
    Oh and i'm 46 with full no claims , no penalty points and no medical conditions in a family car.:confused:

It means phone them, you don't meet their acceptance terms for automatic quotation. Could be the car, your occupation, address etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It means phone them, you don't meet their acceptance terms for automatic quotation. Could be the car, your occupation, address etc

Ok thanks mate. I'll try the phone so!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone had issues with 25plus?
    I went with them and sent my NCD cert last week but they keep sending me mails from a noreply mail address asking for it and threatening to cancel. The fact that they don't seem to answer a phone doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Panrich wrote: »
    Anyone had issues with 25plus?
    I went with them and sent my NCD cert last week but they keep sending me mails from a noreply mail address asking for it and threatening to cancel. The fact that they don't seem to answer a phone doesn't help.

Contacting them seems to be a big issue according to a lot of reviews here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

NATLOR wrote: »
    Contacting them seems to be a big issue according to a lot of reviews here

Well you live and learn. I hope that if they go aheead and cancel my insurance, it doesn't go against me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Panrich wrote: »
    Well you live and learn. I hope that if they go aheead and cancel my insurance, it doesn't go against me.

Don't let THEM cancel the policy as it must be disclosed to any potential insurer. Ring them to sort it or YOU request the cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 2 loz75

first post, evening all. Right to the point, my ncb discount has supposedly expired after 2 years !. Does anyone know of a insurance company that accepts ncb after 2 years ? cheers

loz75 wrote: »
    first post, evening all. Right to the point, my ncb discount has supposedly expired after 2 years !. Does anyone know of a insurance company that accepts ncb after 2 years ? cheers

Nope, Setanta used to accept bonuses up to 3 years but as far as I know no company does anymore.

Is there any reason not to purchase from 25plus.ie. They've given me by far the best quote. Are they reliable as an insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

Folks question for anyone in the industry; so I've 8 years named & no claims on one of the cars at home; got my own insurance a year ago so have 1 year NCB in my own name. Talking to one of the agents at Aviva she was of the opinion I should be able to say I've the 5+ years no claims that they all look for - doesn't sound right but then again quotes are higher for me than last year purely because I'm going from putting my experience as 8 years named to 1 year in my own name (no option to have both in the online forms). Anybody in the industry got insight into this?

cson wrote: »
    Folks question for anyone in the industry; so I've 8 years named & no claims on one of the cars at home; got my own insurance a year ago so have 1 year NCB in my own name. Talking to one of the agents at Aviva she was of the opinion I should be able to say I've the 5+ years no claims that they all look for - doesn't sound right but then again quotes are higher for me than last year purely because I'm going from putting my experience as 8 years named to 1 year in my own name (no option to have both in the online forms). Anybody in the industry got insight into this?

Most companies would give you a full allowance.

Id suggest calling though rather than doing it online. Tell the agent you have one year in your own name and can prove 5 years + prior to that and you should get the benefit of a full 5 year bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I just got a decent quote from 25plus.ie. I've a few more weeks to shop around. Can someone tell me though, as I wasn't immediately obvious on their site, is driving other cars covered on their comprehensive policies?

Advertisement