Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Jayzesake wrote: »
    How so?

Competition. Pheasants will use the same cover as corncrake. Especially when cover is low at this time of years the pheasants will compete with corncrake for nettle/iris/umbellifer patches. Pheasants will also eat the same food material. Tory island is rank with pheasants and crex numbers have decreased in recent years. Hopefully they can be removed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Competition. Pheasants will use the same cover as corncrake. Especially when cover is low at this time of years the pheasants will compete with corncrake for nettle/iris/umbellifer patches. Pheasants will also eat the same food material. Tory island is rank with pheasants and crex numbers have decreased in recent years. Hopefully they can be removed also.

Where we are (southwest) it's 'rank' with Pheasants too. Probably a lot of the country is, seeing that they are widely bred and released for shooting. Which I presume doesn't auger well for the future of the Corncrake, other than on a few islands and specially protected areas?

Where we are (southwest) it's 'rank' with Pheasants too. Probably a lot of the country is, seeing that they are widely bred and released for shooting. Which I presume doesn't auger well for the future of the Corncrake, other than on a few islands and specially protected areas?

Corncrake return to within 1-2km of where they are hatched. They imprint on the position of the stars above them when they hatch. If they ever do spread (beyond the Islands/narrow coastal strips in West Connaught/Donegal) it will take decades for them to spread even short distances. There is however a chance if the habitat is good they might set up breeding territories. On Raithlin Island they have set up nettle beds in the hope Corncrake migrating to Western Isles off Scotland might set up residence.

Intensive agriculture is the main threat to crexs (early cut silage). Anywhere it is present crexs are quickly exterminated. Pheasants would be only a minor threat.

I remember that around 10 years ago around 5 crexs had set up territories on the Dingle peninsula. The farmers were offered grants for delayed mowing I believe. They refused and cut silage per normal killing all corncrake.

Pheasants would be only a minor threat.

On another note related to that, does anyone have any opinions as to how Pheasant fit in ecologically with native ecosystems in a more general sense?

For example, are they damaging in ways other than those mentioned above, and on the other hand I presume in some instances they can be positive, for example by acting as prey to native carnivores, etc?

On the whole, do folks see them as a problematic, or as a relatively benign, introduced exotic species?

On another note related to that, does anyone have any opinions as to how Pheasant fit in ecologically with native ecosystems in a more general sense?

For example, are they damaging in ways other than those mentioned above, and on the other hand I presume in some instances they can be positive, for example by acting as prey to native carnivores, etc?

On the whole, do folks see them as a problematic, or as a relatively benign, introduced exotic species?

Nobody any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement

Pheasants mostly managed for shooting reasons. Shooting people can create/maintain habitats for pheasants like woodlands, hedges and gamecrops. this can be helpful to a wide range of species.
    Can have a problem when huge numbers of pheasants are released into an environment. They can eat huge amounts of insects which can probably have a negative effect on species like insectivorous birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Had my first fledglings of the year in the garden today, 2 Blackbirds, 2 house sparrows and 2 starlings. The female sparrowhawk is also hanging around the area.

14+ Adult frogs around the garden ponds this evening. Saw 2 newts in the small pond. A few frog tadpoles seen, I thought they had all been eaten by newts.

Shooting people can create/maintain habitats for pheasants...

That's dangerous territory you're getting into there, Capercaillie!

That's dangerous territory you're getting into there, Capercaillie!

Why so?

• Advertisement

Why so?

Just me pulling your leg. Taken out of context, it looks like you're looking at the potential ecological benefits of culling people!

https://twitter.com/BradRobson1
    Dejected as 3 "birders" walked through fields with calling Corncrakes Tory Is to take pictures thought such disgraceful behaviour long gone
    Hen corncrake on nests at the moment:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Anyone know what this might be? About 1" long, swimming around shrimp-like in a pond, then emerged onto dry land. Doubled-up and flicked itself back into the water when I tried to touch it.

Maybe a Water Beetle larvae?

619BD77E984F472F9361F86D1390623A-0000318105-0003764269-00800L-61A1D248813548CE819374BC8CBF15BA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

On Monday, sitting in the car having a sandwich and coffee at the entrance to Emo Court I was pleasantly surprised to to see a Red Squirrel (probably one of those made famous by a poster in the photos thread!) appear and start to forage in the leaf litter on the woodland floor. It spent about twenty mins being very busy before making his way out of my sight between the trees.
    Quite a treat for me as our Reds are long gone since the Greys came to town..
    Then yesterday while at a tree nursery near Aughrim ( Wicklow ) I saw two Red Kites circling in a thermal, when I pointed them out to the owner he said " yes, lovely birds aren't they? We see them all the time but they are still a real novelty.." It's been a nice week, starting to feel like summer as well.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Anyone know what this might be? About 1" long, swimming around shrimp-like in a pond, then emerged onto dry land. Doubled-up and flicked itself back into the water when I tried to touch it.

Maybe a Water Beetle larvae?

Might be an Alderfly larva (i guess) its about right size and they emerge from water may to june. they have that tapered abdomen
    very common

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Got sent this photo the other day, Naas area. Sent details on to Biodiversity Ireland. Confirmed as Hazel Dormouse and looks like there is now an established population in that area.

83E00525A7364D73BC1778A99FD7FD50-0000318105-0003766865-00500L-D1723FB9F8F14C3F9C183B122A668F00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Fire on Ireland's Eye started some time in the wee hours. DFB are putting it out as I type and it hasn't spread too far so hopefully the Puffins shouldn't be badly affected. DFB fella said there were birdwatchers on the island last night which isn't the most comforting thought.

The whole island went up in flames in the 70s and tens of thousands of rats swam to the beach at Burrow and Claremont Roads with hundred running across gardens.

tricky D wrote: »
    Fire on Ireland's Eye started some time in the wee hours. DFB are putting it out as I type and it hasn't spread too far so hopefully the Puffins shouldn't be badly affected. DFB fella said there were birdwatchers on the island last night which isn't the most comforting thought.

The whole island went up in flames in the 70s and tens of thousands of rats swam to the beach at Burrow and Claremont Roads with hundred running across gardens.

They probably started it. The messing that goes on Ireland's eye is disgraceful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The birdwatchers reported it, they didn't start it.

• Advertisement

^^^ Good. I was careful not to apportion blame and it now looks like 2 young gurriers from last nights pub chat. That said, the local rumour mill isn't always reliably accurate, quite the opposite some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Mod Edit: The below convo has been moved from another thread.

BWI went through a very bad patch and have had big distractions with contentious AGMs etc. I hope they can pull out of it and do as you say. There are big practical issues to address like what you describe.

Desmo wrote: »
    BWI went through a very bad patch and have had big distractions with contentious AGMs etc. I hope they can pull out of it and do as you say. There are big practical issues to address like what you describe.

Some great people in BWI and some not so good. I would not be hopeful about the reserves out West. Were you at this years AGM?

Yes; was that you in the back corner? I was in front row but said nothing.

Yes; was that you in the back corner? I was in front row but said nothing.
    Yes. They won't do anything though. I voiced my concerns before, not in public though.

What you said had to be said. Sadly the whole day was taken up with the "motions". It all ended up on a positive note but it took until 4.45. Normally teh AGM is very quiet.

What you said had to be said.

What was it that had to be said? (If you'd prefer not to go into it, that's o.k.)

What you said had to be said. Sadly the whole day was taken up with the "motions". It all ended up on a positive note but it took until 4.45. Normally teh AGM is very quiet.

I made sandwiches in the middle, I knew it was going to be a long day.

What was it that had to be said? (If you'd prefer not to go into it, that's o.k.)
    At the AGM in 2014 one of the motions was lack of management at ECNR. The reserve had fallen into disrepair. Another reserve in Mayo is in a bad state through improper management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The garden turned into a creche today with 17 newly fledged House Sparrows, 6 new Blue Tits, 4 young Greenfinches, at least 9 chaffinch, 3 fledgling Robins, 2 Blackbirds and a young Bullfinch on the lawn at one time. And over 30 juv Starlings in the trees.

A late start perhaps but they have made up for it.

Advertisement