Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episode 5x10: 'Mother's Mercy' - READERS thread

Options
  • 14-06-2015 9:37pm

Ok, I can't wait any longer, the hype train is fully boarded and awaiting departure. Even with early starts ahead tomorrow morning, we're gonna try and stay up here tonight to watch Sky Atlantic's live feed.

For those interested, HBO released the 'Previously on GoT...' footage which will precede tonight's finale. This footage usually serves to point at where the episode is going character-wise and/or to remind viewers of storylines/characters which have been out of the picture for a bit.

Well, in the below video there is some footage which already has certain corners of the internet frothing at the mouth. Even with my cautious, skeptical eye, I am interested in why this character is prominent in this 'Previously on...' footage...

Obviously, I'm keeping this spoiler free as there are some book-readers who rightfully don't want to see a preview or anything ahead of this episode. And for those who have viewed it, I'm talking about
    ***Benjen Stark***
    and not
    Silvio Forel, who is only there to build up Arya v Meryn Trant

The hype is huge, it would be impossible to live up to it, but here's hoping for a strong episode.

'What Is Hype May Never Die'

Rate the episode on a scale 1 to 10 169 votes

1 - Makes Dorne fighting scenes look good
    0% 0 votes
    5% 9 votes
    1% 2 votes
    4% 7 votes
    7% 12 votes
    4% 8 votes
    15% 26 votes
    25% 43 votes
    27% 47 votes
    10 - Best episode ever!
    8% 15 votes

Comments

What times here does this air in the usa?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What times here does this air in the usa?

It started at 2.

Nim wrote: »
    It started at 2.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Nooooooooooooo :(:(

I've never felt more trolled in my life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Damn it, have to wait another year now!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Loose ends all over the place. At least Mel is back at castle black

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is there be hope to be taken from the fact that we didn't see Stannis die?

Brienne is terrible at keeping oaths, can't believe she gave Jaime so much schtick.

FunLover18 wrote: »

Brienne is terrible at keeping oaths, can't believe she gave Jaime so much schtick.

I'd doubt it. She was mid swing when the scene cut

FunLover18 wrote: »

I don't think so. She was about to kill him before they cut the scene. Him coming back from that isn't like Game of Thrones(Edit: Jon being, hopefully, the exception with Melissandre's return and red priests alibities already shown). Most of Stannis' scenes near Winterfell was off camera anyway.

I never thought I'd be glad to watch Stannis' whole army fall apart around him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Messi19 wrote: »
    I'd doubt it. She was mid swing when the scene cut

And he was at a tree. She could've struck the tree, and I doubt D&D would kill off such a major character without the gratuitous violence they're known for.

That entire battle scene seemed rushed and pointless. Stannis was a proven commander, and knew the Boltons had an army at Winterfell. He wouldn't have sat in the open, he would've positioned his army along the tree line. Him announcing they were going to start a siege (without food) the morning after made them sitting out in the open absolutely pointless.

For the Watch seemed rushed and poorly written, the same with the Sam-Jon scene with Sam asking to leave and Jon asking him to stay. Cersei's walk was dragged out, a lot. It seemed like they were just trying to flaunt Lena's nudity because they could.

At least the season's over and we'll see the Greyjoys and Tarly's next season :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

No, Stannis is dead- D&D say so in the behind the scenes clip.
    Possible Jon Snow Parentage spoiler:
    They also say Jon Snow is his "father's son"

Season six will be an interesting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This must be the first season finale with so many cliffhangers - I thought it was great. Everything I was expecting and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The battle scene was a let down... Dont know why they felt the need to be so vague with Stannis' death (or lack thereof)
    Sansa and Theon escaping... Liked it.
    Arya killing Trant... Brutal and easily the best scene of the episode.
    The Cersi walk of shame was so far drawn out it was boring. Oh yay! Boobies... Sure I could have fapped twice and still had a smoke.
    The Mereen scene were very confusing.... They were ok, not great.
    The Dorne scenes were.... Well they were there.
    The Jon Snow part was very bittersweet for me. My favourite character in books and second favourite in TV show... I was really hoping for a hint over if he is definitely dead or not.

A very up and down episode altogether but I am looking forward to Winds of Winter or Season 6... Whichever comes first... Heart says book, head says tv show.

Jijsaw wrote: »

I'm not so sure that it's a direct hint at his parentage but more of he believes that he's ned's son and holds his values

Jijsaw wrote: »

They haven't actually said he's dead. Just that she shows up to kill him, which she did, and that he's resigned to dying, which he was.

So, Benjen was used as a red herring on fans who watched the preview just like he was used to trick Jon Snow. I will say though with honesty that I sensed it during the episode. When I saw over 40 minutes had passed and no sign of the lost 1st ranger, I thought he might be used as bait.

And so it was, I'm just relieved that it wasn't Olly who landed the first stab, and "For The Watch" got more than its fair share of utterances. With the Red Lady back at The Wall, her working on reviving Jon has to be on the cards for early next season.

What a downfall for Stannis Baratheon. Within days, he loses his daughter, his wife, his priestess, half his army, the war, then his life. Sure, his death took place off camera so anything could happen in the future, but I got a feeling that these were the final moments of a broken man we were seeing.

Did anyone else think of the 'Aim for the bushes' scene from The Other Guys when Theon and Sansa took that leap off the Winterfell walls?? It was a long drop but no doubt they will have survived pretty much unscathed to return next season.

Damn, those Arya revenge scenes. The last time I saw something that gruesome between a man and a girl in a bedroom, it was David Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, you know the scene I'm talking about if you've seen the movie. The revenge part of Arya's story I liked, but I'm afraid the scenes back at 'A Man, A Girl HQ' just posed more questions for me than answers. So, clearly there's a supernatural element at play in the House of Black and White and Ja'aqen can conjure holograms? It's either that or he convinced some person to put on 20+ masks and then poison themselves just to temporarily trick Arya. And Ja'aqen can induce blindness in another being at will? I'd rather not think too much about those scenes and just wait to see what happens there next season.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I was taken in by the Dorne scenes this week. I know that I already said in this post that I called something before it happened, but the minute Ellaria kissed Mycella I thought of the possibility of poison. But then I thought how that scene between Ellaria and Jaime last week seemed genuine and maybe the bad blood had been buried. Jamie and Mycella's conversation on the boat with them discussing some home truths was touching, if only because we finally got to see Jaime genuinely happy for at least 10 seconds. The second it all got too lovey-dovey and just before the music cresendoed and took that diminished turn, the thought of Ellaria and her vibrant lips came back to the front of my mind. I would think that's Mycella done now. As comical and Benny Hill-like as some of it came across this season, Ellaria and the Sand-snakes are some cold, heartless bastards. It's a shame some of the production values weren't a little higher and the script more refined.

The scenes at Meereen were meh, and just about served to get Varys into the picture for next season and Jorah and Dario taking over the Jaime and Bronn quest from this season to parts unknown. Dany in the field likewise, this was all just 'checking in' after last week's climactic scenes in the Fighting Pits and that's ok I guess. I just don't want to see her take half of next season to get back to Meereen to then have to get to Westeros.

Lena Headey, what a woman first and actress second. I have no experience in the business, but that cannot have been easy what she did. I actually got the feeling during it that there was fúck all difference between her acting this and having to do it for real. The scene was not brief. Of course being the red-blooded man I am, when she was first disrobed on the steps I thought 'How you doin?', but from halfway into the walk to the end of it, I was torn for the character. And then, when she finally gets into 'home' territory, not even her Uncle will come to her aid. Qyburn has been the silent wonder this season for me and I'm looking forward to seeing more from this story next season.

So much happened it's hard to know just how I feel about the episode, but I definitely enjoyed it and some of it moved me. There was...

-Selyse, departed.
    -The army of Stannis Baratheon and his quest for the Iron Throne obliterated from existence.
    -Stannis Baratheon, departed.
    -Brienne fulfilling her oath to avenge Renley Baratheon.
    -Sam, Gilly and eh, Sam depart for Oldtown.
    -The return and part-redemption of Theon Greyjoy. Myranda, departed.
    -Sansa's escape from Winterfell.
    -Arya Stark strikes a name off her list. Meryn Trant, departed.
    -Arya goes blind.
    -Jamie finally gets some love and recognition as a father from one of his secret children.
    -Mycella, departed.
    -Ellaria defies Doran's ultimatum.
    -Vary's finally appears in Meereen.
    -Dany comes upon the Khalasar in the Dothraki Sea.
    -Cersei confesses to the High Sparrow and is cleansed by the sisters.
    -Cersei does her walk of shame, and then some.
    -Ser Rob Strong is revealed.
    -Mellisandre is back at the wall.
    -Jon Snow was For the Watched.

I'm not sure if all of that happening in one episode was a great or dire thing, but I do have to remind myself that the show is covering some books that definitely weren't as straight-forward or tightly-knit as those that provided the material for earlier seasons, and they had to shape it into an accessible story for a prime time television audience. The season will take another viewing in a shorter space of time to see how it ranks compared to the rest. Now, we play the waiting game, and the guessing game too. The Winds Of Winter or Game Of Thrones Season 6 to land first?

2 hours until I've to be up for work, sleep isn't going to happen at this stage so may as well go and see how some non-readers reacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Would have thought Thorne was too honourable to be involved but turns out he truly was a snakey and cowardly ****er. Thought the linger on Jon and slight change in the score meant there was a twist in the tale but not to be unfortunately. I feel trolled. :P

Red woman is where she should be anyway. Jon Snow won't stay dead.

stankratz wrote: »
    So, Benjen was used as a red herring on fans who watched the preview just like he was used to trick Jon Snow. I will say though with honesty that I sensed it during the episode. When I saw over 40 minutes had passed and no sign of the lost 1st ranger, I thought he might be used as bait.

And so it was, I'm just relieved that it wasn't Olly who landed the first stab, and "For The Watch" got more than its fair share of utterances. With the Red Lady back at The Wall, her working on reviving Jon has to be on the cards for early next season.

If you were reading the books, sure. From the show, not so much. I hate to be the one to say this, but D&D really have butchered the books. They have, what, 10 seasons on contract and they're only at the 5th? They could've ended this season with Aegon's landing, never mind the gratuitous nudity from Headey (it was obnoxiously long, to be honest, and I was looking forward to it).

Oh well, at least we have the hope that WoW will come out before Season 6. Otherwise I'm just going to become a hermit and refuse any and all contact with social media.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview
    EW: I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead
    Kit:I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future is not like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Awful, awful episode and end to the season in general. It's very annoying as about halfway through I was at the point of not caring about the changes and just appreciating the good scenes when they happened. This was awful tripe from the start.

First, Stannis being abandoned, betrayed, wife dead, Mel hits the road. So why on earth was Shireen burned? Makes zero sense to drag a fan favourite through the mud like that, though he might be back in some shape or form at some point he is tarnished in most people's eyes. If he died a bit closer to Jon in time it'd have made it a bit more interesting about the resurrection theories. The battle of Ice was just a slaughter, Ramsey in battle with no armour again, snow melting in the north in winter!? Pure bull from start to finish. My hand was hovering over the x on my laptop but I convinced myself to keep going as I've put so much time into the show I might as well see it out. I was finished 3 books before I watched the show and I kind of wish I hadn't started but too late now I guess.

Then onto Jon and Sam. Sam admitting to the Lord Commander of the NW that he'd broken his vows and the LC just laughs. Then Jon is the one who wants Sam to stay rather than the other way around, lets him leave with his girlfriend on a cart to god knows where considering Sam is an awful fighter and has to travel through the 2 roughest places in all of Westeros and an untold amount of miles to get to Oldtown that way. Ridiculous stuff. I guess the 4 year old kid that's still a baby for some reason could get a sudden growth spurt and be a great warrior but I'd doubt it.

Brienne and Sansa then. Sansa uses a corkscrew to get out of the door, doesn't cover her face but still nobody recognises her. Brienne looks away right before the candle is lit in an almost comedic way. Myranda tells Sansa the information that she should have been using all along with the Boltons needing her but her and Theon instead do a snow jump that I feel is outrageously higher than in the books and would cause instant death. Presumably she's just going to bump into Brienne in the woods which will be even more ridiculous considering it's probably miles to the next town. Though they might go to the mill that theon killed the boys in I guess or something. Still very nonsensical imo.

Arya, not the worst scenes this week but still not really great. The multi-layered mask thing just looked strange and seemed like a cheap way of swerving people. Trant being portrayed as literally the worst piece of **** in the entire series in just one scene(2 I guess if you include last week) also felt a bit cheap to me but he got his gruesome death I guess.

I wasn't too much on the Dorne hate brigade but definitely am after this week. Hammy acting and now they have Trystane on a ship with Bronn and Jaime Lannister and have just presumably killed Myrcella. What in god's name did they think they were going to achieve? Just handing the heir of Dorne a death sentence. Yeah, really smart. Doran just allowing Ellaria and the Sand Snakes the freedom of Dorne after all that went down is hilariously stupid. The "I always knew" moment with Jaime and Myrcella was very clichéd but as a Jaime fan I didn't really mind that, but then Myrcella has a pointless cheap death. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes seem to have developed some cure all antidote too which I'm sure would be a good money maker around Westeros.

Then Meereen. The sulky boyband crew and their manager was actually ok. Tyrion was in good ball busting mood as usual. Jorah and Daario going off alone is a bit silly considering Daario still has a lot of sellswords on his team presumably and Jorah and Tyrion have only recently found how dangerous it is to travel Essos as a duo. Bit of a WTF moment with Varys showing up in Meereen as it means that despite the fact they've pushed ahead with a lot of storylines we're still going to be lagging in Meereen with a throwback season 2 dynamic for a good portion of next season. Didn't really care for Dany's one way interaction with Charizard...I mean Drogon. Just seemed a bit silly and she just walks off and predictably gets picked up by the fastest moving Khalasar in Essos. Was the ring one that Drogo gave her or what was the relevance? Not much else to talk about going on there.

The saving grace somewhat was the walk of shame. Brilliantly acted by Lena Headey and raw as hell! No punches were pulled in the treatment of it though I wouldn't have minded Robbie Strong cutting a few people in half who were getting too close to Cersei. I got a laugh out of Pycelle's creepiness though. Seems the Tyrells and Littlefinger have gone the Greyjoy, Gendry, Brotherhood, Tully, Frey etc. route and disappeared too until they're needed again.

The Ides of Marsh minus Marsh scene left us in no doubt about Jon's fate I feel unlike the small bit of doubt that we still have in the books and Mel just conveniently showing up a couple of hours before makes what has to happen quite clear. Just on her, she really didn't act like Melisandre at all in this episode though I guess it's fairly endemic for the show in general. Anyway, as far as the scene went it was what it was I guess. Well enough acted and every stab seemed to have a good bit of emotion behind it. For the amount of time spent at the Wall though the lack of developed characters is really apparent. They built Alliser Thorne in the show as someone very respectful of the ways of the Watch even if he dislikes Jon and then have him turn around and kill the LC. I'm not sure about the internal workings of the Watch and how it's been handled in the show but as I said it is what it is.

TLDR: very confusing in general, walk of shame good, everything else pretty bad. Basically at fan fiction level at this point. I know why GRRM wouldn't trust anyone else with the books if he died now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If you were reading the books, sure. From the show, not so much. I hate to be the one to say this, but D&D really have butchered the books. They have, what, 10 seasons on contract and they're only at the 5th? They could've ended this season with Aegon's landing, never mind the gratuitous nudity from Headey (it was obnoxiously long, to be honest, and I was looking forward to it).

Oh well, at least we have the hope that WoW will come out before Season 6. Otherwise I'm just going to become a hermit and refuse any and all contact with social media.

Well those quotes are incredibly worrying, the Jon warging into Stannis theory might still be on however I guess.

I thought the walk of shame was very well done. I'm not sure how long people expected a nude walk from the sept to the Red Keep but I thought it hit all the right notes and the aim of the scene is probably more to disgust the viewer after they get over the "beewwbs" thoughts. Cersei is fairly broken by it in the books according to Kevan so it had to be harsh.

I'm not too bothered about Kit's comments, he can hardly give anything major away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I believe seven seasons is what they have in mind. They're going way too fast for ten seasons at this rate in any case.

I'm going to continue hoping and hoping for TWOW before season six, but deep down I know it won't happen. Alas.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered about Kit's comments, he can hardly give anything major away.

There's a difference between giving something major away and outright denying you'll be returning. He didn't have to say anything.

I believe seven seasons is what they have in mind. They're going way too fast for ten seasons at this rate in any case.

I'm going to continue hoping and hoping for TWOW before season six, but deep down I know it won't happen. Alas.

There's a difference between giving something major away and outright denying you'll be returning. He didn't have to say anything.

Easier to deny it outright than to be ambiguous/silent and leaving himself open to a grilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Easier to deny it outright than to be ambiguous/silent and leaving himself open to a grilling.

Yeah, but he didn't have to do the interview in the first place, or they could have made it more general and had it released before the episode aired. Plus, I don't think Kit would have just made up a story about what was said to him by D&D.

Game of Thrones is an absolute behemoth of a show, they'd have no problems bending EW's arm for something that 'sensitive' about the its future imo.

I do hope you're right all the same, and I don't necessarily think this means he dies at this point in the books, though it casts a lot of doubt on the Azor Ahai theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Awful episode, pacing and structure non-existent.

At last Stannis is still alive.

I don't really care what happens in the show now, they've kind of butchered everything that still has me gripped in the books, or at least made those storylines way less interesting than they are on the page.

Where are the Tully's, the Greyjoys, Nymeria, Stoneheart, Manderley, Freys, Brotherhood without Banners etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Added poll for the episode.

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

I enjoyed it. Not greatly but that's been consistent with a fairly poor season.

*Stannis and his army dead. Bit of an anti-climax and I can't see how Ramsey wouldn't be the one to kill Stannis.

*Sansa: How many times does she need to get rescued by a man. She's learning to play the game of thrones is she?

*Meeren: I like Tyrion as much as the next but a bit of action might have helped. It all seemed very subdued. They could have shown them releasing the dragons or the Harpies trying to kill them and failing.

*Walk of Shame: I enjoyed it. At the start I thought Cersei was like "this is fine" but then.

*Dorne: No idea what's happening here. The weakest part of the season

*For the Watch: Perfectly fine. I was trolled about the Benjen speak. Could have done with hearing Ghost howl though.

Overall probably the weakest Season so far. Only Hardhome really got into excellent territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I honestly think they would have done much better if they had saved the big fight scene from episode 8 to slot in at the end instead (yes I know we'd not get the Stabby mc Stab event then but still); it would have had people seriously pumped for the season finale rather than this partially lame duck.

Cersei - Fine, season finale deserved
    Dorne - Who ever is the ex porn movie story writer needs to be fired; any GoT fanboy can write better script than this
    Sansa - Who would use a bow at close range to torture someone? Seriously give the girl a dirk or a meat hook or something but ok for season finale
    Meeren - Fine, season finale deserved as it sets up the next arc
    Stanis - Yes, season finale worthy
    The wall chat - Err, no, just no
    Stabby mc Stab - Ok, season finale material
    Melisandre - What did she see to make her leave? Seriously they really need to expand on this as this is not season finale material
    Aryia - Not season finale material for me but I guess for the non book readers the fact she "died" is

Overall I'm missing is wtf is going on in Westeros in general; how's the queen doing? What's highgarden (i.e. Queen of Thorns) doing? Littlefinger? Yunkai army? There are a ton of areas not touched on for several episodes which are bloody relevant which annoys me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Daith wrote: »
    *For the Watch: Perfectly fine. I was trolled about the Benjen speak. Could have done with hearing Ghost howl though.

Ghost has had an odd treatment on the TV show. They should have showed him locked up and going mad, or at least howling as you suggest. The direwolves were so significant in earlier seasons, only job this season was deus ex machina rescue of Samwell.

I was also disappointed with Grey Wind's death on the show.

Advertisement