Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Government Report spells disaster for on-shore Wind Energy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

You were wrong too. Probability of your scenario is the product of the individual probabilities. Dice analogy is an excellent method.

No I was not wrong at all. You made a stupid statement. I pointed it out. Rather than just accept that you made an extradorinarily stupid, basic, primary school error, you tried to maintain I was wrong.
    Let's be completely clear. You were wrong. Stop trying to pretend you were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You were wrong too. Probability of your scenario is the product of the individual probabilities. Dice analogy is an excellent method.
    The dice analogy is a stupid analogy because you're dealing with a continuous random variable (wind speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

beeno67 wrote: »
    No I was not wrong at all. You made a stupid statement. I pointed it out. Rather than just accept that you made an extradorinarily stupid, basic, primary school error, you tried to maintain I was wrong.
    Let's be completely clear. You were wrong. Stop trying to pretend you were not.

lol, feel free to be as abusive as you wish. It does not alter the fact that for a gaussian probability distribution this statement is true
    You can have any scenario you wish so long as you use the numbers under the bell curve. Pick any, it has a probability associated with it. The probability of your scenario is the product of the probabilities. Scenarios populated with values far from the mean are many orders of magnitude less likely than scenarios populated with values close to the mean.

It will not be lost on those following this thread that the State's Hired Internet Trolls and the devotees of the Institutionalised Crime gang behind this massive natural resources fraud have failed utterly to explain the extraordinary conflict in the planning applications production figures. The ESB/BnM were given that opportunity at the public hearings and were at a complete loss to account for the missing €10billion.

The will have another opportunity to do just that in the High Court, once An Bord Pleanála, issue their decision. We shall be asking the Judge to refer the entire matter to the DPP.

lol, feel free to be as abusive as you wish. It does not alter the fact that for a gaussian probability distribution this statement is true
    You said:

"Although is might appear at first glance that you could achieve a 10 year mean with one figure above 9.1m/s and the rest below, as you say, it is not in fact true."

You were incorrect.

You also said:

"You cannot just use any numbers, you must use those under the area bounded by the bell curve in the gaussian distribution because only those wind speeds have a probability greater than zero..."

This statement is also factually inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosie34

LiamMayo wrote: »
    I believe coillte. they have no reason to lie. nobody would believe d of energy around here

Liam. We found the Moygownagh group led by Eddie Farrell. They are confident of winning in the end. They have Peter Sweetman advising them and he wins most of these cases in judicial review. It gives us hope. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It will not be lost on those following this thread that the State's Hired Internet Trolls and the devotees of the Institutionalised Crime gang behind this massive natural resources fraud have failed utterly to explain the extraordinary conflict in the planning applications production figures. The ESB/BnM were given that opportunity at the public hearings and were at a complete loss to account for the missing €10billion.

Cut out the State Hired Trolls stuff please and keep it civil.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LiamMayo

rosie34 wrote: »
    Liam. We found the Moygownagh group led by Eddie Farrell. They are confident of winning in the end. They have Peter Sweetman advising them and he wins most of these cases in judicial review. It gives us hope. Thanks again.

sound

anyone know the wind shear for the site

anyone know the wind shear for the site

0.16 iirc. You need to check it coz I am on the road. They calculated it in the application from measurements at 50m n 80m. Noise analysis I think.

0.16 iirc. You need to check it coz I am on the road. They calculated it in the application from measurements at 50m n 80m. Noise analysis I think.

it is in the noise pdfs on their website. shear is .16 from 50-80m. it must be lower above 80m and higher below 50m but by how much? it does not help me. no matter how i try i cannot get a valid roughness length for the site from the wind speeds given. maybe some thing wrong with my excel model. thx

no matter how i try i cannot get a valid roughness length for the site from the wind speeds given. maybe some thing wrong with my excel model. thx

If you try to calculate the roughness length for Oweninny using the 2013 wind atlas speeds for the site you are wasting your time - you will never get a sane result. The older atlas has no such issues, try those numbers in excel.

The Swiss Govt website will do it for you btw. Readers may wish to try it for themselves. The values given for Oweninny in the 2013 wind atlas are 7.1m/s and 7.7m/s at 75m and 100m a.g. respectively. See how the calculated value fits the standard table:

0.0002 m Water surfaces: seas and Lakes
    0.0024 m Open terrain with smooth surface, e.g. concrete, airport runways, mown grass etc.
    0.03 m Open agricultural land without fences and hedges; maybe some far apart buildings and very gentle hills
    0.055 m Agricultural land with a few buildings and 8 m high hedges seperated by more than 1 km
    0.1 m Agricultural land with a few buildings and 8 m high hedges seperated by approx. 500 m
    0.2 m Agricultural land with many trees, bushes and plants, or 8 m high hedges seperated by approx. 250 m
    0.4 m Towns, villages, agricultural land with many or high hedges, forests and very rough and uneven terrain
    0.6 m Large towns with high buildings
    1.6 m Large cities with high buildings and skyscrapers

For those who do not know our area, the Oweninny site is a strip mined bog.

• Advertisement

thx. cluddaun has a roughness length of 1.1m according to the new atlas. that is expected in a city landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Gibbet Hill Wexford (from the EIS)

The 40 m height wind speed has been corrected to ‘standardised’ 10 m height wind speed using a roughness length of 0.05 m as detailed in ISO 61400-11 [3].

fclauson wrote: »
    Gibbet Hill Wexford (from the EIS)

The 40 m height wind speed has been corrected to ‘standardised’ 10 m height wind speed using a roughness length of 0.05 m as detailed in ISO 61400-11 [3].

A roughness length of 0.05m describes "Agricultural land with a few buildings and 8 m high hedges seperated by more than 1 km".

Does that describe Gibbet Hill?

As for Oweninny, if you simply assume the atmosphere locally has been stable over time, you can calculate the roughness length from the measurements published for the site. Mean wind speed of 7.28m/s at 30m a.g. from the IEC study and 7.8m/s at 50m a.g. from the BnM measurement from 2002-2010. The value is about 0.05m, same as for Gibbet Hill. It is a totally sane result.

If you take the 2003 wind atlas figures for Oweninny or Cluddaun you get a similar sane result.

The values from the 2013 wind atlas are off the scale completely for Oweninny and are way wrong for Cluddaun.

A roughness length of 0.05m describes "Agricultural land with a few buildings and 8 m high hedges seperated by more than 1 km".

Does that describe Gibbet Hill?

A....

Yes perfect Wexford rolling countryside with mixed farming and the odd bit of forestry and a farm building now again

The values from the 2013 wind atlas are off the scale completely for Oweninny and are way wrong for Cluddaun.

will the seai software upgrades fix it?

will the seai software upgrades fix it?

The 2013 wind atlas roughness length for Oweninny is 50 times the expected value, 6km away at Cluddaun it is 20 times the expected value.

How did SEAI, and their contractor the UK Met Office, manage that?

The 2013 wind atlas roughness length for Oweninny is 50 times the expected value, 6km away at Cluddaun it is 20 times the expected value.

at least you have an idea of the size of the energy vortex you mentioned earlier :)
    ..You are welcome to believe an energy vortex opened above the 80sq.km of Oweninny and swallowed half the wind energy on that site which, coincidentally, is where the State proposes to build a massive 521MW wind farm with 160 huge turbines.

where would the energy go?

at least you have an idea of the size of the energy vortex you mentioned earlier :)
    where would the energy go?

Maybe it is powering the Somebody Else's Problem Field that prevents mention in the Irish National Media of Oweninny Wind Farm and the Bizarre 2013 SEAI Wind Atlas.

When the Dept of Energy shows up lying to citizens in support of a vast Natural Resources Fraud, it is very much our problem. We will see them in Court and they will have to explain it all to a Judge.

Readers will note the defenders of the 2013 SEAI Wind Atlas, so active and rude of late, have nothing to contribute.

Readers will note the defenders of the 2013 SEAI Wind Atlas, so active and rude of late, have nothing to contribute.
    I'm not "defending" anything.

All I was doing was pointing out the major flaws in your understanding of mathematics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

You made basic errors about maths. Errors I would be embarrassed to see a 10 year old make. When these errors were politely pointed out to you, you refused to accept it, you said I and others were wrong.

You refused and still refuse to accept that you were incorrect in your maths.

Have you even figured out you were wrong yet? Have you said "sorry djpbarry/beeno67 I was wrong you were right?". Don't think so but you have carried on in the same way. You received a warning from the moderators here about the need to keep it civil yet you carry on in the same vein.

• Advertisement

Cludden wind farm refused -

https://www.facebook.com/peter.sweetman.35?fref=nf&pnref=story

MOYGOWNA REFUSED
    the Board is not satisfied, on the basis of the information provided, and notwithstanding the inclusion of some of the subject lands within areas identified in the Renewable Energy Strategy for County Mayo 2011-2020 either as suitable for large scale wind farm development or as open for consideration for such development, that the development as proposed would not adversely affect the integrity of certain designated sites (including certain European sites) in view of those sites’ conservation objectives.
    Specifically, the Board is not satisfied that the development as proposed would not have the potential to impact negatively on the surface and groundwater hydrology of those sites by, inter alia, peat slippage and changes to the morphology and flows in natural streams and rivers. The designated sites of concern are:
    • Bellacorick Bog Complex candidate Special Area of Conservation (Site Code 001922);
    • Glenamoy Bog Complex candidate Special Area of Conservation (Site Code 000500);
    • Inagh Bog proposed Natural Heritage Area (Site Code 002391), and
    • Ummerantarry Bog proposed National Heritage Area (Site Code 001570).
    Having regard to the above, the Board considers that the proposed development would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.facebook.com/peter.sweetman.35?fref=nf&pnref=story

MOYGOWNA REFUSED
    the Board is not satisfied, on the basis of the information provided, and notwithstanding the inclusion of some of the subject lands within areas identified in the Renewable Energy Strategy for County Mayo 2011-2020 either as suitable for large scale wind farm development or as open for consideration for such development, that the development as proposed would not adversely affect the integrity of certain designated sites (including certain European sites) in view of those sites’ conservation objectives.
    Specifically, the Board is not satisfied that the development as proposed would not have the potential to impact negatively on the surface and groundwater hydrology of those sites by, inter alia, peat slippage and changes to the morphology and flows in natural streams and rivers. The designated sites of concern are:
    • Bellacorick Bog Complex candidate Special Area of Conservation (Site Code 001922);
    • Glenamoy Bog Complex candidate Special Area of Conservation (Site Code 000500);
    • Inagh Bog proposed Natural Heritage Area (Site Code 002391), and
    • Ummerantarry Bog proposed National Heritage Area (Site Code 001570).
    Having regard to the above, the Board considers that the proposed development would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Great result and well done to all the locals and others who fought this. Interesting that peat slippage was sighted as one of the reasons for refusal. There is currently a court case ongoing in the high court over a BP deceision to allow a wind farm on the slopes of Keeper Hill in Tipperary. Since the start of the case photos have emerged of a recent major landslip right in the middle of the proposed wind farm. I wonder has this put the wind(excuse the pun!!) up the planning authorities?? In any case I hope it sets a precident when it comes to planning policy with regards to wind farms in this country since up to now far too many have got the go ahead on fragile peatland water sheds leading to disasters like Derrybrien etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosie34

MOYGOWNA REFUSED

Thank you so much to those brave of you to take on the state and win. I cannot tell you how much this decision means to me and my partner. Good luck to the community at Oweninny.

Cludden wind farm refused..

Great decision, not entirely unexpected. An important part, 24sq.km of the local environment has been protected for the foreseeable future. The decision documents are available here.

Victory over Cluddaun celebration tonight around 9pm in Xmolina, sorry for the late notice I was away. PM me for details.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm not "defending" anything.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    ..I'm not sure this is grounds for conspiracy hunting.

You have trolled the thread since you joined it, along with your wingman. Your bruised ego(s) are of no concern to me or my community. We have bigger fish to fry.

Does anyone have anything to say about the fact that the 2013 Wind Altas, the DoE "guidance" for planning authorities when it comes to wind farms, has glaring irregularities when it comes to Oweninny?

Produced at some expense, following a State tender, it has considerable authority as it has the imprimatur of HMG.
    This document is published by the Met Office on behalf of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, HM Government
    So people are likely to believe it. Yet extraordinarily, it appears to defy the laws of physics when it comes to describing the lowest 100m of the atmosphere at Oweninny. The roughness length value there is 50 times the expected value so it utterly fails the most basic sanity test for that location. The problem is slightly less severe at Cluddaun, 6km to the NNE, but still over an order of magnitude off target.

The UK Met office did not cock it up, their reputation is too valuable to them. The problems arose, I believe, during the "validation exercise" involving, not just the ESB and BnM, but the actual project management team for Oweninny wind farm. That team provided "data" and "mast observations" to the contractors. Happily the contractors had the good sense to mention the meeting in their report.

So it is no surprise than that the 2013 wind atlas so accurately predicts the production figures in the OPL planning application, it was cooked precisely for that purpose. Without the 7.7m/s mean wind speed 100m a.g. at Oweninny contained in the 2013 Wind Atlas, the OPL production figures have no scientific validation at all, quite the opposite is the case.

You see it really is a very well planned highly sophisticated €10bn fraud being carried out by the State. The scientific evidence is there to robustly support that view.

We are quite certain we can reach the standard of proof required to have any planning decision made by the Board overturned in judicial review and have the files referred to the DPP and Fraud Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

SEAI paid €84,662 to UK Met Office Consulting Services for the 2013 Wind Atlas. The invitation to tender is attached.

As discussed above, it has some pretty obvious, and very major, problems in that its wind speed predictions, for Oweninny at least, conflict seriously with the well understood physics of the lower troposphere.

Last year, I raised these issues in person with Mayo TDs Michelle Mulherin and John O'Mahony.

Deputy Mulherin chairs the internal FG group on sustainability and renewable energy. She was largely responsible for Mayo County Council's Wind Strategy which permitted very large turbines. She did not appear particularly concerned about the wind atlas issues and, afaik, she took no action at all. Certainly she did not revert to me on the matter.

Deputy O'Mahony chairs the Óireachtas joint committee on Energy. I am very grateful to John for making representations to the authorities in respect of the 2013 Wind Atlas. I suspect his efforts bore fruit and led to the withdrawal of that Wind Atlas from the SEAI website for 'software upgrades', not that any software upgrade will turn that particular sow's ear into a silk purse.

In any case, I believe that the Wind Atlas was withdrawn too late in the day and that it was relied upon by An Bord Pleanála to 'verify' the ESB/BnM capacity factor of 33%.

As stated earlier, I made a complaint of Deception, to Gardai against named individuals, all employees of ESB and Bord na Móna in respect of the production figures in the Oweninny planning application on Aug 7th, 2013, many many months before the 2013 Wind Atlas emerged.

I received this letter from the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation:

350266.jpg

Later I received this letter from my local Garda Superintendent:

350267.jpg

In the meantime, I received a phone call from the uniformed Garda named in the second letter asking me to attend Castlebar Garda Station for interview. He told me he had once been attached to the Fraud Squad and was pleasant and respectful throughout the interview. Although the letter does not mention him, a second uniformed Garda attended the interview, a more dour individual who fixed his gaze on me and appeared impatient with proceedings.

I do not know if the individuals named in my complaint were interviewed by Gardaí, nor do I know if Gardaí were told that the UK Met Office were producing a new Wind Atlas that would vindicate the production figures in the Oweninny planning application. I did not renew my complaint when the 2013 Wind Atlas appeared last year as I did not relish the prospect of further session of intimidation and threat assessment in Castlebar Garda Station.

You may feel the matter deserves full independent investigation. You can write to Gardaí quoting reference FB11.220.13 asking them to conduct an such an investigation. You do, of course, run the risk of being invited to your local Garda Station for a game of good cop/bad cop.

Most likely, the ESB and Bord na Móna are too big to be investigated, let alone prosecuted, in this Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Personal letters removed.

I think there is enough there in the post without the need to attach personal identifying letters!

Thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

FYI.

A number of Dáil Questions related to this matter were answered recently.

Questions included

Michael McGrath (Cork South Central, Fianna Fail)
    564. To ask the Minister for Environment, Community and Local Government if the recently put together Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland wind atlas has been provided to An Bord Pleanála; if it will have an influence on the putting together of revised wind turbine guidelines; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [17752/15]

Minister Alan Kelly replied:

I propose to take Questions Nos. 527, 534, 539 and 564 together.
    In December 2013, my Department published proposed “draft” revisions to the noise, setback distance and shadow flicker aspects of the 2006 Wind Energy Development Guidelines.

These draft revisions proposed:

- The setting of a more stringent day and night noise limit of 40 decibels for future wind energy developments,
    -A mandatory minimum setback distance of 500 metres between a wind turbine and the nearest dwelling for amenity considerations, and
    - The complete elimination of shadow flicker between wind turbines and neighbouring dwellings.

A public consultation process was initiated on these proposed draft revisions to the Guidelines, which ran until February 21 2014. My Department received submissions from 7,500 organisations and members of the public during this period.

It is intended that the revisions to the 2006 Wind Energy Development Guidelines will be finalised as soon as possible. In this regard, account has to be taken of the extensive response to the public consultation in framing the final guidelines. Further work is also advancing to develop technical appendices to assist planning authorities with the practical application of the noise measurement aspects of the Wind Guidelines.

The revisions to the Wind Energy Development Guidelines 2006, when finalised, will be issued under Section 28 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended. Planning authorities, and, where applicable, An Bord Pleanála must have regard to guidelines issued under Section 28 in the performance of their functions under the Planning Acts.

The existing Wind Energy Development Guidelines (2006) provide guidance to planning authorities on aesthetic considerations in relation to the siting and design of wind energy developments in the landscape. In this regard, my colleague the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht has the lead Ministerial responsibility for developing the National Landscape Strategy, with input from my Department, along with other Departments and State Bodies. I understand that the National Landscape Strategy 2015-2025 is expected to be published in the coming weeks. The question of the development of guidelines, under Section 28 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, for planning authorities in relation to the practical implementation of the Strategy will be considered in due course.

The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland’s (SEAI) Wind Atlas is a digital map of Ireland's wind energy resource. It provides detailed information on wind speeds (calculated for different heights above ground level on a 100m horizontal grid basis), electricity transmission and distribution networks for specific locations around Ireland at national and county levels.

It is understood that SEAI completed its Wind Atlas in 2003, and an updated version, the Wind Atlas 2013 will be viewable on-line when software upgrades have been completed. In the interim, the SEAI makes the new wind atlas data-sets available, on request, to professional Geographical Information Systems users and other organisations.

SEAI advise that the concept of average wind speed for a county has no practical application in the context of planning an individual wind energy development project.

Advertisement