Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Raw Barbecue chicken from hot deli

Options
  • 27-05-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I bought a "cooked" chicken from a supermarket this morning.Put it in the oven this evening to heat up for the dinner.When I took it out and cut it I noticed it was mostly uncooked.Pink flesh inside and blood.Phoned the supermarket and all they said was to bring it in tomorrow.What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

todolist wrote: »
    I bought a "cooked" chicken from a supermarket this morning.Put it in the oven this evening to heat up for the dinner.When I took it out and cut it I noticed it was mostly uncooked.Pink flesh inside and blood.Phoned the supermarket and all they said was to bring it in tomorrow.What should I do?

Bring it in tomorrow. Ask for refund. Decide whether or not you are happy to purchase cooked food there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You should buy something else for dinner - its half price fish and chips today...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I spend a lot of money in this supermarket.I phoned the manager who wasn't really interested.Said to bring it in for a refund.I'm wondering if I should report them to the health board for selling half raw chicken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

FSAI would be who to notify if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

But is it half cooked or is it just juices and colours from seasoning.?

Uncooked chicken doesn't have blood and I'd find it hard to think it could actually happen considering the systems used in supermarkets.

If it is uncooked it will be jelly like - maybe ask someone else to look at it.

As for what the supermarket will do - they'll give you a refund. That's it. Nothing else and nothing else required.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    FSAI would be who to notify if you want to.

Nope - hse environmental health officer. They are responsible for visiting and checking premises. They will also test foods if the op wants to be sure.

I still reckon it's seasoning cos I had a chicken like that before with a Moroccan rub on it (well known supermarket) - had double take, then stuck the jaws in.

delahuntv wrote: »
    But is it half cooked or is it just juices and colours from seasoning.?

Uncooked chicken doesn't have blood and I'd find it hard to think it could actually happen considering the systems used in supermarkets.

If it is uncooked it will be jelly like - maybe ask someone else to look at it.

As for what the supermarket will do - they'll give you a refund. That's it. Nothing else and nothing else required.
    It's clearly uncooked.You can see the blood when I cut it.As for nothing else required except a refund.......I would have thought this shows up a lack of supervision.Food poisoning from selling uncooked chicken.Just a refund wouldn't be acceptable.I would have though an apology and a voucher as a gesture of goodwill would be more appropriate.I spend over 200 euro a week there.If I don't get that I would be back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

delahuntv wrote: »
    Nope - hse environmental health officer. They are responsible for visiting and checking premises. They will also test foods if the op wants to be sure.

I still reckon it's seasoning cos I had a chicken like that before with a Moroccan rub on it (well known supermarket) - had double take, then stuck the jaws in.

The HSE do that work for the FSAI. (http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Food_Control.html) You may still be able to complain to both but eventually the FSAI are going to be the sole organisation. Reporting to the organ grinder is usually more useful.

https://www.fsai.ie/makeitbetter/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Over 200 a week in there! What are you spending 10k a year on in a supermarket? Have you got a big family?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

It's clearly uncooked.You can see the blood when I cut it.As for nothing else required except a refund.......I would have thought this shows up a lack of supervision.Food poisoning from selling uncooked chicken.Just a refund wouldn't be acceptable.I would have though an apology and a voucher as a gesture of goodwill would be more appropriate.I spend over 200 euro a week there.If I don't get that I would be back.

Make a claim for PTSD as a result of potentially getting food poisoning. Get a lawyer.

Or... Bring back the chicken for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And don't mention that you bought it this morning and put it in the oven to warm up this evening...that's a double no-no for a start. (Yes, I know...but that is the official line)

Rackstar wrote: »
    Over 200 a week in there! What are you spending 10k a year on in a supermarket? Have you got a big family?
    five in the family.Buy everything there so I'm really disappointed with their attitude.If they don't value my custom I will take my business elsewhere.I didn't realise I spent 10k a year there.A voucher and an apology would be the least they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Raw chicken.
    Raw-Chicken-Thighs.jpg
    Bloody chicken.
    Chicken_02_cop_copy.png
    They are not the same thing. The bloody chicken is bone marrow seepage into the surround flesh. Its not harmful and can be eaten. Its only visually unappealing for some people.

First you are claiming uncooked chicken by purely a visual inspection.

Now you are claiming food poisoning - yet you don't seem to have eaten it.

I really suggest you find out the truth from a recognised / trusted source before making scurrilous allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

five in the family.Buy everything there so I'm really disappointed with their attitude.If they don't value my custom I will take my business elsewhere.I didn't realise I spent 10k a year there.A voucher and an apology would be the least they could do.

A refund is the least they could do, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Put it in the oven this evening to heat up for the dinner.
    Food poisoning from selling uncooked chicken
    Well ya see this here struck out to me straight way. You are going on about food poisoning etc you carry out the No.1 no no yourself anyway.
    When I took it out and cut it I noticed it was mostly uncooked.Pink flesh inside and blood.
    Blood is not part of a raw chicken.Did you stick a fork in the chicken and try and pull it apart. Raw chicken is rubbery,cooked chicken would have pulled apart easily.
    Phoned the supermarket and all they said was to bring it in tomorrow.What should I do?
    I'm sorry but what do you expect them to do over the phone.Of course you are going to have to return to the store
    I spend a lot of money in this supermarket.I phoned the manager who wasn't really interested.Said to bring it in for a refund
    Immaterial how much you spend you'll be dealt with within the laws and guidelines and im sure you'll get your full entitlements
    I'm wondering if I should report them to the health board for selling half raw chicken.
    Why not.If your convinced 100% that the chicken is undercooked then you should but do it before you bring the chicken back as they may need it for sampling
    It's clearly uncooked.You can see the blood when I cut it
    As already asked are you sure this is not the juices with the seasoning running off it
    Just a refund wouldn't be acceptable a voucher as a gesture of goodwill would be more appropriate.
    Lets be honest, thats what this is all about,not the food poisoning etc, your looking for that little extra
    I spend over 200 euro a week there.If I don't get that I would be back.
    I cant see a supermarket being too bothered about 1 customer going.1 customer going is like looking for a penny dropping in the middle of a ocean.

I'm amazed how many people think all I should get is a refund.Probably an Irish thing.Customer satisfaction isn't a priority here.I got a refund,an apology and a 25 euro voucher.A small price to pay for keeping a customer who spends 10 thousand a year with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm amazed how many people think all I should get is a refund.Probably an Irish thing.Customer satisfaction isn't a priority here.I got a refund,an apology and a 25 euro voucher.A small price to pay for keeping a customer who spends 10 thousand a year with them.

Delighted for you! But I can't see how you think you were somehow entitled to a voucher. You spend 200 a week there because you want to; because you get benefit by doing so; not because you want to support them or out of charity. An error occurred and they rectified it. The voucher was a bonus, not a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

So did they admit it was uncooked or did they just do it was a good will gesture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Personally, I have given up buying cooked chicken many years ago as it is normally overdone to the point of being inedible compared to what I cook. IMHO, there should be a bit of pink around the bones or the breast is way too dry. If you order chicken or indeed most meats in France, it is usually pretty rare. They do not seem to be dying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Rackstar wrote: »
    I would probably spend that per week and there is only 2 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

If the chicken was undercooked then you should have reported them to the FSAI. What you did was get a voucher and they got to cover their arse. They don't care about your custom. It was money to keep your mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Irrelevant to the op's original question, but how can you spend €200 a week on food for 2, unless maybe you are spending a lot on cigarettes and alcohol? And if you can throw that much at the shop, a voucher is almost irrelevant!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

looksee wrote: »
    Irrelevant to the op's original question, but how can you spend €200 a week on food for 2, unless maybe you are spending a lot on cigarettes and alcohol? And if you can throw that much at the shop, a voucher is almost irrelevant!

5 in the family, not just 2 :) Can easily understand that monies being spent weekly.

My Mom bought fish from a well-known supermarket and it was gone off. She was asked to return it which she did. They did offer my Mom a refund and also sent a voucher in the post to her. Not all unheard of tbh :)

Anywhoo, Hope you do return. One issue should not stop you from returning tbh. You know your family are happy with your purchases there. Maybe nextweek try elsewhere and see the difference if you really don't want to return this week and just see if anyone notices the difference. You could also well end up saving monies elsewhere that would more than cover the voucher you would have liked to have had received :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Yes incredible. A blow job, a new sports car and a return trip to Hawaii is the very least you should expect.
    After all, you spend 10,000 euro per year there and all they give you in return is 10,000 euro worth of food!
    (Compensation culture is rife in Ireland - take your refund and jog on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

looksee wrote: »

200 a week on groceries is not over the top. It's a supermarket. They sell cleaning products, food, and much more.
    Between fruit, veg, meat, cereal, bread, coffee, household cleaners, laundry products, dog food, etc etc we easily spend 200 a week for 2 of us - but we live well and can thankfully afford it. The fact the OP spends 200 pw to keep the household going is irrelevant and not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Off topic posts deleted. I would remind posters to "attack the post, not the poster" and stay civil. Stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

Op has still no said if he got it confirmed as uncooked.

Again I really doubt it and it was seasoning / marrow juices especially as op said he put it in the oven to reheat.

As for op saying he "expected" voucher. That's the issue - "expecting" compo and probably approaching the issue in a wrong way (as per his posts)

Again, no confirmation that it was uncooked / undercooked yet still being indignant that no compo was given. As my gut is saying it was cooked (systems are so stringent in food areas that it would be very difficult for a respected store to do this), is the op going to apologise to the store and offer compo himself if as I think, he is wrong?

Hmm... Somehow I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    People are asking for confirmation of what it looked like to try and see if it really was undercooked or what people commonly mistakenly consider undercooked. People are aware that ignorance is rife about the subject.

One poster no longer buys cooked chicken as its overdone. I would have the same worry about the outcome of this. Is the supermarket going to increase cooking times resulting in overcooked chicken. I know in tesco they are all on timers when cooking.

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2012/02/bloody_chicken/
    Is blood an indication that your chicken’s been undercooked?

If you’ve ever been on the receiving end of a crispy chicken leg whose insides look like a bloody mess, there’s no need to throw out the entire batch. As long as the bird was brought to an internal temperature of 165°F (73°C) for at least 15 seconds, it’s safe to eat.

The USDA stands by their recommended temperatures for safe cooking. There isn’t a spore, bacteria or blood cell yet (known to cause food borne illness) that has adapted itself to withstand temperatures in excess of 165°F. Yet, even with safety standards that are backed by science, chefs from far and wide continue to cook their chickens to death for fear that they might be underdone. No doubt, a bloody center is unnerving, but does it really mean your bird’s not cooked?

According to a study conducted by Iowa State University, today’s marketed chickens are considerably younger and far more tender than they were years ago. Their bones have not yet matured and are still somewhat soft and porous. As the internal temperature of the bird heats up, marrow can – and quite often does – seep through the soft bone into the surrounding meat. The result is bloody and/or red meat.

When a young chicken is deep chilled, ice crystals form inside the bone. They expand and force the heme out of the marrow through the soft, porous bones. During the cooking process, the tissue will darken in color. Although the appearance can be off-putting, the meat is not harmed when this happens.

To combat this occurrence, restauranteurs are being forced to sell over cooked chicken to address the red blood color in the meat and around the bones. As a result, chicken is often dry, unappealing and tasteless. By and large, consumers are being duped into believing that bloody chicken is dangerous.

Dr. O. Peter Snyder, Jr., Ph.D. of the Hospitality Institue of Technology and Management says, “If consumers were taught to eat safely prepared, bloody chicken, as they want to do with beef, they would be able to enjoy juicier chicken.” The trick is to learn how to prepare safe-to-eat chicken and get over our fear of a little blood in our birds.

An accurate thermometer will do more to put your mind at ease than anything you read in a book or see on TV. A probe inserted into the center of a chicken breast, leg or thigh will tell you all you need to know about whether or not your bird is cooked. Chicken brought to an internal temperature of 165°F will have been sufficiently cleansed of bacteria and will be ready to eat – regardless of its color or trace amounts of hemoglobin.

While a majority of us like our beverages cold and our meat bloody, we’ve become highly suspect of moist chicken. Protect yourself against bacteria (like salmonella and E. coli) by following safe food handling procedures and using the most accurate temperature instruments you can find.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement