Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Charlie McGeever had his homework done on the Clare Minor team before his team faced them last night!

Taken from the Examiner newspaper.

Charlie McGeever sees bright future for Tipperary tyro Stephen Quirke
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 By Jackie Cahill

Charlie McGeever has backed Tipperary’s dual star Stephen Quirke to make his mark as a senior inter-county footballer in the years to come.

Quirke, brother of 2011 All-Ireland minor medalist Philip, is captain of the county’s minor hurlers and will partner Jack Kennedy at midfield for the footballers in this evening’s Electric Ireland provincial semi-final with Clare (7.30pm, Semple Stadium).

From the Moyle Rovers club, Quirke and his clubmate Danny Owens are creating history this year by captaining Tipperary’s minor teams in either code.

And Quirke has demonstrated his class this season, with three points from play in the quarter-final victory over Waterford, a week after his ball-winning exploits for the hurlers against the Déise.

And McGeever, who is aiming to guide Tipperary through to a fourth Munster MFC final in five seasons, is a big fan of the teenage tyro.

He said: “Stephen is one of the leaders of this team and it’s a unique situation that the Moyle Rovers club boast the captains of both minor teams.

“Stephen’s physical attributes and leadership qualities are very important to us.

“He’s someone that I expect to see playing in the Tipperary senior colours in the near future. But he’s one of many.”

McGeever has also warned of the massive threat posed by Clare this evening, admitting that deadly forwards Keelan Sexton and Seán Malone will take some watching.

A weakened Clare lost to Kerry in their opening fixture but roared into the semi-finals with a 12-point victory over Limerick in the play-offs.

McGeever noted: “They’re defensively very strong and they overlap a lot from the back line, carrying the ball well.

“They have two exceptional forwards in Malone and Sexton, who’s already on their senior team.

“He’s already an exceptional player off left and right and Malone is a pocket-rocket inside, and their top scorer.

“This is a Clare team with a real cutting edge.”

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Examiner Report on Minor Football Match.

Tipperary’s late scoring blitz leaves Clare boys crestfallen
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 By Jackie Cahill

Tipperary 0-16 Clare 2-9: Brendan Martin shattered Clare’s dreams of a first Electric Ireland Munster Minor football final appearance in 21 years at Semple Stadium last night.

Visitors Clare were two points clear before Tipp hit three without reply in the 59th, 60th and 61st minutes in Thurles, to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Tommy Nolan kickstarted the revival, Jack Kennedy equalised and man-of-the-match Martin had the final say with a spectacular winner.

Captain Keelan Sexton was one of many Clare players in tears at full-time and Tipp boss Charlie McGeever admitted that his charges were below par.

In front of 812 spectators, Tipp were rocked by goals in either half, scored by Cormac Murray and Sexton.

Both were avoidable concessions, with Murray’s from a turnover, and despite hitting 16 scores to Clare’s eleven, Tipp still needed that late surge to squeeze into a provincial decider with Kerry on July 5. That will be Tipp’s fourth final in this grade in five seasons and from McGeever’s viewpoint, there is plenty to work on.

He reflected: “The goals rocked us but we showed character to come from behind in the last five minutes.

“While there was less than three points in it, we still had a chance but we have so much work to do ahead of the Munster final.

“We didn’t play well this evening and Clare gave it absolutely everything.”

Tipp were stunned by Murray’s excellent solo effort midway through the first half and after Martin equalised, wind-assisted Clare hit three points without reply to gain control.

But Tipp hit back with three of their own before half-time and at the interval, the sides were level at 0-6 to 1-3.
    Less than two minutes after the restart, Clare were on the front foot when impressive sub Conor Lynch set up senior panellist Sexton for an excellent goal at the Town End. And when Lynch popped over a point, Clare were 2-4 to 0-7 clear, the first of three times in the second half when they would lead by as many points. A pair of excellent Sean Malone scores in the 40th and 41st minutes had Clare 2-7 to 0-10 clear and still dreaming of that first Munster final since way back in 1994.

Brian McGrath hit back with a point for Tipp before Martin was denied by Killian Roche’s brilliant save, before the Kilsheelan-Kilcash man Martin’s fisted point cut the gap to one, Sexton replied in a tit-for-tat period before Kennedy and Sexton traded frees.

That left Tipp trailing by two heading into the final minute of normal time – but they found late answers to not only seal a Munster final place, but also a route to the All-Ireland series.

Scorers for Tipperary:

B Martin & J Kennedy (3f) 0-5 each, S Power, S Quirke, E Moloney, T Nolan, B McGrath & R Peters 0-1 each.

Scorers for Clare:

K Sexton 1-3 (0-1f), C Murray 1-1, S Malone 0-2, D Bohannon, C Brennan & C Lynch 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY:

C Manton; T Lowry, M Irwin, S Power; M Kehoe, D Owens, J Skehan; T Nolan, B Mcgrath; E Moloney, J Kennedy, R Peters; B Martin, S Quirke, J Delahunty.

Subs:

J Bergin for Delahunty (h.t.), L Fahy for Skehan (37), J Moloney for E Moloney (46), T Fitzgerald for Kehoe (53).

CLARE:

K Roche; C O’Halloran, K Killeen, C Pyne; L Devitt, P Lillis, C Hehir; D Bohannon, C Downes; A Sweeney, K Sexton, N McCarthy; C Murray, C Brennan, S Malone.

Subs:

N Murray for Pyne (h.t.), C Lynch for Sweeney (h.t.), J Lehane for Hehir (50), J Morrissey for Murray (58).

Referee:

K Murphy (Cork)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Paddico

Very hard fought win last night. The lads will learn a lot from that.

Can anyone tell me who Charlie McGeever is.
    A tipp man, a nordie import or from some other county?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Paddico wrote: »
    Very hard fought win last night. The lads will learn a lot from that.

Can anyone tell me who Charlie McGeever is.
    A tipp man, a nordie import or from some other county?
    From Donegal AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Paddico wrote:
    Can anyone tell me who Charlie McGeever is. A tipp man, a nordie import or from some other county?

Was he manager of clonmel town soccer team for a few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Your getting in a lather over a fairly minor thing to be honest. I've heard it often referred to as the Clonmel nationalist in the past. Besides many things are unofficially referred to by another term,

Anyways can we not get sidetracked and get back to discussing Tipperary gaa? Let the man call the paper whatever the hell he wishes

Are you in a lather? I'm not in a lather. Look at my first post re the paper

"Clonmel nationalist"? :)

Said in jest. However, poster copies/pastes nonsense from the oracle that is Wikipedia. Same poster who thinks the hurlers have no chance this year because a squad player has retired despite being joint favourites;). Same poster who calls on people to go to games he/she doesn't bother going to themselves. Same poster who I have to say provides some amusement on topics like Louis van gaal not being animated enough and the political posts where poster gets destroyed repeatedly.....

Can call the nationalist whatever ye like. I buy it, rarely read any of it. I don't care what anyone calls it!

The Donegal native, who boasts a strong soccer background, replaces David Power, who led the Premier County to back-to-back Munster MFCs as well as the 2011 All-Ireland title.

Former Finn Harps boss McGeever lives in Clonmel, where he has been involved with the Clonmel Town soccer club as well as Clonmel Commercials GAA club.

He has been instrumental in the development of many local youngsters, including Michael Quinlivan, Evan Comerford, Ian Fahey and Seamus Kennedy, all of whom won All-Ireland medals with Tipp in 2011.

Occupation: as far as I know he is the Principal of two schools in Clonmel, the Central Technical Institute and the Second Level Irish College based there.

From what I hear he is very popular with pupils and staff.

If and when Peter Creedon decides to retire he is the ideal man to take over as Manager of the Seniors.

buggy beag wrote: »
    Was he manager of clonmel town soccer team for a few years?

Your absolutely right. Charlie is actually a Donegal man who is living and married in Clonmel. Principal of Clonmel vocational school. Used to play for Finn Harps himself. Currently involved with Commercials.

Speak of which is that Tyrone fella still on our panel?

Xenophile wrote: »
    The Donegal native, who boasts a strong soccer background, replaces David Power, who led the Premier County to back-to-back Munster MFCs as well as the 2011 All-Ireland title.

Former Finn Harps boss McGeever lives in Clonmel, where he has been involved with the Clonmel Town soccer club as well as Clonmel Commercials GAA club.

He has been instrumental in the development of many local youngsters, including Michael Quinlivan, Evan Comerford, Ian Fahey and Seamus Kennedy, all of whom won All-Ireland medals with Tipp in 2011.

Occupation: as far as I know he is the Principal of two schools in Clonmel, the Central Technical Institute and the Second Level Irish College based there.

From what I hear he is very popular with pupils and staff.

If and when Peter Creedon decides to retire he is the ideal man to take over as Manager of the Seniors.

Fahey actually went to school in the high school so id imagine the likes of Charlie would be very instrumental in keeping him involved in football. I seen Ian Fahey in O'Keefes 1 year after the 11 minor win one night and i immediately thought to myself that it could prove a challenge keeping that young mans interest in the game and many from Clonmel have told me that despite the obvious talent he possesses he needs to choose his company carefully.

digzy wrote: »
    Are you in a lather? I'm not in a lather. Look at my first post re the paper

"Clonmel nationalist"? :)

Said in jest. However, poster copies/pastes nonsense from the oracle that is Wikipedia. Same poster who thinks the hurlers have no chance this year because a squad player has retired despite being joint favourites;). Same poster who calls on people to go to games he/she doesn't bother going to themselves. Same poster who I have to say provides some amusement on topics like Louis van gaal not being animated enough and the political posts where poster gets destroyed repeatedly.....

Can call the nationalist whatever ye like. I buy it, rarely read any of it. I don't care what anyone calls it!

Your using the 'Nationalist' example as a stick to beat him with due to your other differences of opinions on other threads. Fair enough if you disagree with him but to derail a thread over the use of the term 'Clonmel Nationalist'??? C'mon really?

As for the Curran example, id actually agree with you there and ive expressed my opinion previously. Dont think it will be the self destruct button that Xeno thinks it will be although it probably could have been a smoother retirement for Curran tbh. at the moment, injury is hampering us more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Your using the 'Nationalist' example as a stick to beat him with due to your other differences of opinions on other threads. Fair enough if you disagree with him but to derail a thread over the use of the term 'Clonmel Nationalist'??? C'mon really?

As for the Curran example, id actually agree with you there and ive expressed my opinion previously. Dont think it will be the self destruct button that Xeno thinks it will be although it probably could have been a smoother retirement for Curran tbh. at the moment, injury is hampering us more than anything.

No I'm not. It's just another example of the nonsense-a Wikipedia copy/paste job which lends nothing to the "arguement". C'mon .. I didn't derail any thread. As I've said before I was being lighthearted- hence the smiley!

As per curran how could it have been handled better? He was part of the squad, given game time and the manager cut him along with a few others. Eos felt he wasn't up to it after giving him a fair crack at the whip.curran knew he wasn't getting any younger and retired. It'd be bizarre to me if he retired just as the league was over.Seems simple enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

digzy wrote: »
    No I'm not. It's just another example of the nonsense-a Wikipedia copy/paste job which lends nothing to the "arguement". C'mon .. I didn't derail any thread. As I've said before I was being lighthearted- hence the smiley!

As per curran how could it have been handled better? He was part of the squad, given game time and the manager cut him along with a few others. Eos felt he wasn't up to it after giving him a fair crack at the whip.curran knew he wasn't getting any younger and retired. It'd be bizarre to me if he retired just as the league was over.Seems simple enough to me.

From what I've heard, Curran went to O Shea to tell him he wanted to retire, O Shea asked him to stick at it for a bit longer which he did. After the Waterford game he went to him again and that was the end of it, there was going to be a cull anyways but when the media copped Curran wasn't training on the Thursday they reported he had been dropped along with the rest.

Heard that he is going to be helping out on the line since also, how true any of that is I don't know. Seems the only fault the management made was not announcing his retirement earlier in the week.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Your absolutely right. Charlie is actually a Donegal man who is living and married in Clonmel. Principal of Clonmel vocational school. Used to play for Finn Harps himself. Currently involved with Commercials.

No , seen him a lot last year , wasn`t all he was cracked up to be , awkward looking Hoor !

No , seen him a lot last year , wasn`t all he was cracked up to be , awkward looking Hoor !

Wasnt blown away myself tbh. Sure he couldnt even make the starting lineup although we are beginning to get an abundance of good young players from that minor set up. To be fair though he was nowhere near the Tyrone panel when he did transfer, however i did think he could be a boost to our own given that he was involved with a decent Tyrone underage setup. Is he still involved with Commercials?

What of Sean Carey these times? He'd be a terrific boost to our footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Barry taken off after 20 mins - hopefully, not a bad injury.

Scorers for Tipperary: John McGrath 2-5 (0-2f), Conor Kenny 0-5, Liam McGrath 1-0, Shane Bourke, Bill Maher (0-2f) 0-2 each, Colm Ryan, Shane McGrath, Patrick Maher, Paul Ryan (0-1f) 0-1 each.
    Scorers for Dublin: Colm Cronin 2-4, Paul Ryan 0-4 (0-2 65′s, 0-1f), Daire Plunkett 0-3, Conor Dooley, Darragh O’Connell, Ben Quinn, David Treacy, Oisin O’Rorke 0-2 each, Simon Lambert 0-1.
    TIPPERARY
    D Egan, Pádraig Stapleton, J Barry, T Treacy; Bill Maher, T Hamill, P Heffernan; S McGrath, A Ryan; S Bourke, D McCormack, C Ryan; L McGrath, C Kenny, J McGrath.
    Subs: T Comerford for Barry (20), K Morris for L McGrath, P Maher for C Ryan, K O’Dwyer for A Ryan, P Ryan for J McGrath (all half-time), Paddy Stapleton for Treacy
    (45), Brendan Maher for McCormack (56).

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-tipperary-john-mcgrath-2108923-May2015/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

A couple of lads playing that were dropped off the panel,fair play to them for turning up.hope Barry is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Paddico

McCullagh, was that his name. Didn't see him listed for any of the League games or McGrath cup game.

Curran joins backroom team

Paul Curran has been invited and has accepted the invitation to rejoin the set up as full backs coach.

Given the nature of his departure I think this move will be appreciated by all the squad.

Given that Tipp already have a recently enough retired corner back on the line in the person of Declan Fanning the move to bring back Curran can be seen as a damage limitation exercise.

However, it should work very well, as Paul Curran has so much talent and is so well respected by the squad it will help greatly in restoring harmony in the camp as no player of the stature of Curran should have been dropped in the manner that he was.

It's a good move by the County Board and I hope that they learn the necessary lesson from the whole episode.

By the way I have said it before and I will say it again this thread should not be hiding out in "Regions" then "Midwest" but rather be located in "GAA" along with all our other rivals in both codes. I have no doubt that the thread would generate a lot more interest if placed there. Anybody looking from afar would have a job finding Mullinahone or any of the two Carrick On Suir clubs or for that matter Ballyporeen in the "Midwest".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

4 gamed down for decision in the senior football tonight hard to see antin other than wins for commercials eire og aherlow and Moyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Paul Curran has been invited and has accepted the invitation to rejoin the set up as full backs coach.

Given the nature of his departure I think this move will be appreciated by all the squad.

Given that Tipp already have a recently enough retired corner back on the line in the person of Declan Fanning the move to bring back Curran can be seen as a damage limitation exercise.

However, it should work very well, as Paul Curran has so much talent and is so well respected by the squad it will help greatly in restoring harmony in the camp as no player of the stature of Curran should have been dropped in the manner that he was.

It's a good move by the County Board and I hope that they learn the necessary lesson from the whole episode.

By the way I have said it before and I will say it again this thread should not be hiding out in "Regions" then "Midwest" but rather be located in "GAA" along with all our other rivals in both codes. I have no doubt that the thread would generate a lot more interest if placed there. Anybody looking from afar would have a job finding Mullinahone or any of the two Carrick On Suir clubs or for that matter Ballyporeen in the "Midwest".

Ye this thread is pretty quiet compared to other GAA threads on boards but I guess Premierview gets most the the Tipp GAA followers online.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

4 gamed down for decision in the senior football tonight hard to see antin other than wins for commercials eire og aherlow and Moyle

Is the Killenaule v McDonaghs game off ? Cahir , Commercials could be a good game and Ardfinnan could put it up to Aherlow .
    Moyle Rovers playing Commercials in the South Under 16 Final tonight which should be a cracker , shame both their Senior sides are out tonight , sure supporters would like to see both games the Clubs are involved in !

Is the Killenaule v McDonaghs game off ? Cahir , Commercials could be a good game and Ardfinnan could put it up to Aherlow .
    Moyle Rovers playing Commercials in the South Under 16 Final tonight which should be a cracker , shame both their Senior sides are out tonight , sure supporters would like to see both games the Clubs are involved in !

McDonaghs couldn't field a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    McDonaghs couldn't field a team.

No surprise there! Sure what's the rush, won't they qualify for the county as north winners as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

The one thing I'd say about having the thread in the GAA forum is the fact that the thread came quickly become a bit derailed by people trolling. Like for the example the Eoin Kelly retires thread. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057337015)

I rarely post here but it's very enjoyable reading the knowledgeable posts and not having to trawl through pages of people arguing etc..

Speaking of the legend Eoin Kelly:

https://crokeparkmuseum.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/23227/bord-gais-energy-legends-tour-with-eoin-kelly-croke-park-8-August-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

marvin80 wrote:
    I rarely post here but it's very enjoyable reading the knowledgeable posts and not having to trawl through pages of people arguing etc..

Agreed my friend

Kieran Bergin hurled corner forward for Killenaule tonight and scored 4 from play and looked very sharp. Bubbles did some sublime things but his man Ciaran Haugh did a lot of hurling at centre-back. Bonner didn't feature at all which is a worry with only 4 weeks to the Munster Semi. Killenaule 1-23 Lorrha 2-16.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

For my sins I watched Burgess Portroe. ****e game. Port have plenty of decent hurlers who can move well but theyre such a filthy team. So cynical etc
    that its ridiculous. They should have had a red card or two for two yellows for pulling jerseys etc etc
    Port won but wont go to far.

• Advertisement

Burgess have really gone backwards from last year...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement