Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Just in from viewing. Having a beer to come down.. Epic.. will go see it in Savoy 1 this week. Flaming Guitar Dude stole the show btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Good popcorn cinema flick
    Action amazing-Cgi limited
    Pacing great and good runtime
    Tom Hardy...well......at least he's handsome.....
    awful ending scene (even some Bane voice thrown in)
    Fast cutting was a little overdone in parts....bit Benny Hill like in places

Some of the acting feels a little amateur if that makes sense to anyone else??
    With little or no knowledge of who the actors playing support were I felt they could have been novices/first timers

Totally OTT & thoroughly Mad
    Go see-in 2d (if possible?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fantastic film. The ultimate Mad Max film.

I read somewhere that they have two sequels planned. Good luck trying to top this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

The only thing I didn't like was that Max didn't seem to be that central to the film's premise but that's a very minor niggle given how great the film was

I think the 2nd and 3rd are a bit like that too

Max is just passing through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

youngblood wrote: »
    Go see-in 2d (if possible?)

I saw it in 3D, it looked great

see in on the biggest screen possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jesus Christ.

Where does one even begin to start with an experience like Fury Road? For me, there's probably no better one individual moment than the very particular time I realized while watching it.... it's love..

I'd just seen a granny blast a shotgun sized hole in some unfortunate minion. As he tumbled to a dusty and fiery death off-screen, the camera swooped back to show our geriatric grimly – but gamely- pumping her weapon, with a spare shell clenched between her teeth, about to unleash more justified hot lead on somebody, somewhere, who, no doubt, deserved it. And deserved it bad.

Of course this all happened at a hundred miles an hour. Within nano seconds, we'd moved onto some other outlandish display of carnage, but, nonetheless, my brain had registered what I had just seen and, at the time that it was happening, had deemed it a fairly everyday occurance in the world of the movie. Then I thought, in the immediate aftermath, “Jesus Christ,this is what passes for normal in this film”. What caused me to think that wasn't the fact that I'd been stunned by the image - of an old lady blasting away, but the fact that it had seemed so ordinary- just another thing in Max World and if a movie can make me think nothing, of something like that, because of all the lunacy witnessed either side of it, then I have to give myself over to it unhesitatingly, and proclaim that I, truly, deeply, feel the love.

It's the best pound for pound blockbuster since The Dark Knight. The best action movie in years. I struggle to think of a better one in the last decade. I'm amazed it exists at all. It's so singular, so determined to bamboozle us all into a state of sensory nirvana, but without pandering to stupidity. And that's so refreshing. Any moment where character development has been stripped back or narrative fat has been trimmed, serves the story. This is such a contrast to something like, for instance - Age of Ultron, where complexity is shelved, because it's a ultimately a product - like a happy meal – meant to gobbled up, unthinkingly, across the globe. Here, fluff is trimmed because nothing can get in the way of the furiosity, and because, since most blockbuster emoting is nonsense anyway, the film largely and wisely decides to stick to what it does best - Bringing chaos.

I'll try to condense most of the remaining praise into one paragraph – The set and world design is eye-popping, meticulous and unique. The cinematography is vibrant, almost expressionist at times. The action will leave you with no complaints. It's unreal and very real,simultaneously. It boggles my mind to think how much work went into editing this all into one coherent experience. Charlize Theron is particularly good. A real Ripley style action heroine, it's her film really. Not saying Max isn't the man- though Tom Hardy is sometimes a tad too resolutely monosyllabic- but it's Furiosa who propels the film forward. It is relentless, extremely so, but there are also judiciously placed moments of relative calm, which set the tone and help give the action, that inevitability follows, a real emotional heft, as well as a visceral kick. The stakes are clearly defined- good versus evil -, but deeply felt. And the whole film has a pronounced, uncondecending, feminist slant, that makes it one of the most gender progressive blockbusters ever made, but that's a whole different story...

If you've been reading this thread and are still somewhat undecided, let me tell you this- You're wrong to waver.

You haven't seen the others- Don't worry about it. You don't really know if it's your thing – Try it and see. You might wait until it comes out on DVD – Well, fool, then I weep for you. Sure, the hype is crazy high, for what's only a movie. It doesn't cure cancer. Or speak to a deep seated wisdom about life, unless you think things being blown up on screen is, in it's own way, kinda profound. After this, let me tell you - I'm a believer. I'm worse than that - I'm a zealot. But only for the pure stuff, the manna from action heaven stuff. My faith was lapsing due to years of sitting through reams of frankly piss poor, airless, tired sermoms of destruction like The Expendables, or whatever Marvel slop you like. Fury Road is one of the reasons we go to the movies. I walked out of there feeling like I was ten feet tall, with a grin from ear to ear. If someone had at that moment demanded from me a payment off all my hypothetical incurred bills for the next decade - upon pain of death. Well then I would have relished the chance to hit the road, screaming- “you'll never take me alive”, dreaming of massive destruction and flame throwing musical instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Shakespeare with explosions, what a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Forgot to add that the soundtrack was perfect, this being my favourite track:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

nokia69 wrote: »
    I think the 2nd and 3rd are a bit like that too

Max is just passing through
    Hell Max doesn't really become the primary focus in the original until the last half hour either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Max is pretty much the fly in the ointment, he becomes part of a bigger story where he gets dragged in to help the side in need before he himself moves on.

Clint Eastwood in the apocalypse basically.

• Advertisement

Lot of people seem to be upset that Max is little more than a copilot in this crazy adventure but that's exactly how he should be, Max is a mythical figure, a wanderer who stumbles out of the desert and finds himself caught up in other worlds. Miller's work has always tried to include some philosophical ideas and Fury Road is just another which explores existential issues in a rather interesting manner.

Max is a hero in search of himself, he wanders the desolate wasteland searching for something that will make him better, running from his past he needs something to run toward, a quest that will give him meaning. Each of the films has been framed by a historian telling the tale of Max and as such events such as him disappearing in the bog to take on a larger force and being triumphant take on a legendary feel. What's truly great about Fury Road is that much of the tale focuses on Furosia who is seen through Max's eyes. From the start of the film we are thrown into the insanity of Max and watch as the world around him is formed by those he meets. He wants to survive, to wander onward and will happily leave others to die unless it serves him. He only stops for Furosia and the wives because without help he is unable to venture further into the wastelands.

The final quote “Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves" really sums up the film. The quote rather simply sums up the themes of the film, the story of Furosia and the wives aswell as that of humanity as a whole. The internal struggle of humanity as it tries to once again find itself and hold on to the aspects of itself that defines all that is great about humanity. It's an inward strife which each character deals with as they engage in the external tale where escape and rebirth is key. Furosia and the wives search for the greener pastures as they strive to escape the warlord. They are willing to risk crossing the dead salt flats, even if death is waiting for them there is a fleeting hope that they will find a better life. Immortan Joe too struggles, he wants a pure blood line which can rule and give hope that he can leave his empire in capable hands.

Against this external lies the internal, Max as a mythical figure and his how it plays out in his interactions and relationships with all whom he meets. He opens the film telling us how he has lost everything and his sole instinct is to survive in a world where everyone is crazy. He exists and thrives in a world where there is little humanity left. Max has literally the last of his humanity taken from him when he used as nothing more than a blood bank, he is dehumanised and treated like cattle used to extend the life of the inhuman. When he meets Furosia and the wives he is so jaded and dehumanised that he fails to recognise in them the spark of humanity that they have cultivated and struggled to keep alive. He is willing to leave them to die as he selfishly flees, caring about nothing but himself. It is only though need, (Furosia is the only one who knows the sequence) that he allows the spark of humanity both within himself and in the group to flourish.

Max only truly realises the humanity within himself when he sets out after Furosia and the wives as they cross the salt flats. He alone realises that the only way for humanity to flourish is chase after it for were Furosia and the wives to ride off all hope would be lost. By stopping them and showing them that the only way to win is to take the problem and not run but confront it. By turning to face it they find but a solution and hope though turning inward and facing their demons. Returning to the Citadel, to the water and green they can create a home where humanity can proper, where hope can live once they face their demons and vanquish them. Max stirs this hope in all but he himself only truly believes and gives into hope when Furosia faces death and he tells her his name. His fear is evident and he in that moment he is naked for all to see, he lays himself out and inspires hope while trying to grab it for himself.

But the best example of hope humanity and hope can blossom against the odds is the manner in which the character Nux evolves. He like so many others has been indoctrinated into a cult of hate, he exists simply to serve and has his humanity stripped from him. It is only when shown compassion that he finds the scrap of humanity within himself. He goes from a relentless killing machine to a figure capable of love and sacrifice for an ideal which is pure.

During that final scene as hope is returned to humanity, Max turns his back on it and returns to the wasteland for he is a figure whom does not belong. Much like Ethan in The Searchers, Max no longer fits in with civilised society and as such turns his back on it favouring the lawless world of the wild. He is once more that mythical figure who rides through the world searching for that which he has lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

went to see it last night. Definitely a spectacle, really captured the manicness of the originals! However, the people beside and in front of me had a 3/4 year old and a 6/7 year old with them respectively..was quite annoying "mammy Im scared" after 20mins... and they didnt take them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

went to see it last night. Definitely a spectacle, really captured the manicness of the originals! However, the people beside and in front of me had a 3/4 year old and a 6/7 year old with them respectively..was quite annoying "mammy Im scared" after 20mins... and they didnt take them out!
    Its rated 15A, who in their right mind would sell tickets to it for kids.

Someone who understands that as long as the kids are with an adult then they can watch the film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anybody who is legally entitled to do so, which is everybody :pac: Parents are the ones making the decision, ticket seller is just doing their job correctly.

Anybody who is legally entitled to do so, which is everybody :pac: Parents are the ones making the decision, ticket seller is just doing their job correctly.
    Your right, got my classifications confused.

Ok just bad parenting so. Nothing new there.

I would understand bringing a young teen to it, but not under 10s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well as i said literally the little girl said "mammy Im scared" not 20mins in! Bad parenting only since the changed the 15 to 15a..some people just cant make that decision for themselves...

But anyway...back to the point. It was a great film!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Relentless
    Exhilarating
    Macabre
    Thrilling
    Utterly, utterly bananas
    A thing of junkyard beauty

Jesus, I'm spent. Seriously, that was the most action-packed, nerve pounding 1 hour and 40 minutes I've spent in a cinema in a long while. It felt like George Miller and pals snuck off to the dessert with 100+ million dollars under their arms and filmed some drug-addled version of Mad Max 2, and by god the results were something else.

Hollywood needs to take note here. This is how you stage action. This is how you build your characters without grinding the narrative to a stop. This is how you represent and escalate your stakes. This is how you thrill an audience without resorting to cheap CGI tricks. And this is how you use the tools the FX industry bestowed upon film: not as an alternative to basic craft or physics, but as a compliment and something to enrich rather than replace. Yes, the colour saturation and grading technically made it a 'CGI' based film, but the road carnage most certainly wasn't.

If anything tops this as being the best blockbuster of 2015, it'll need to be one hell of a ride to do so. Everything else is going to seem so tame, so insipid in comparison with Fury Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Review: it was like an absolutely spectacular adaptation of a ridiculous cult comic book.

Ramblings: There were several moments in my screening where you could hear the audience collectively give a sigh of relief at the end of a set piece, was really cool. Even more than seeing this on a big screen, it needs the best loudest sound system you can find, for the two hours I was completely addicted to wanting louder and harsher engine noisy.

Charlize Theron was great, hardy was grand but mostly reminded me that gibson had a very specific kind of intensity that cant really be matched. I'm inclined to think there's absolutely no way Miller can make a better modern mad max film but hopefully this one will do well enough that ill get to see him try.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Is it better to see it in 2d or 3d can anyone tell me? The 3d time of the screening probably suits me better but can go to either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I saw the 2d one (I'm one of the 10% of people who can't see stereoscopic images properly so 3D is pointless for me) - I haven't read any particularly good reports of the 3D for Fury Road, and apparently it was done post production so that's never a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

aido79 wrote:
    Is it better to see it in 2d or 3d can anyone tell me? The 3d time of the screening probably suits me better but can go to either.

I would always go 2d there's already enough going on on screen without it coming off the screen. Interestingly the press screening in the UK was 2d so make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I would interject that this film and its action scenes are very, very CGI heavy. Even the colours have been subjected to aggressive computer manipulation, but the world itself is full of computerised flourishes and additions. I'd go as far as to suggest to say Miller embraces it to create something of a live action cartoon at times.

The difference is the film still has a sense of weight and physicality to it in spite of its abundance of CGI, in stark contrast to the more weightless CG spectacles that are now the norm. But to paint Mad Max as anything other than a very well considered CG-heavy spectacle is doing it a disservice - it is a film that uses technology to everybody's advantage, and most certainly is not a return to gritty, physical filmmaking (although some sequences certainly do fit that category thankfully).

No I dont agree with that assesment. The effects were very practical and GCI was most definitely used sparingly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know, I'd be hard pressed to find many scenes in the film without some degree of computer tinkering. That might be the background / environment, the colouring, composite shots, the CG arm, a digitally enhanced effect... or obviously the more overtly CG sequences like the sandstorm. It's most obvious with the world itself, with the sweeping deserts, towering cliffs etc... a notable departure from 'reality'.

There is a lot of stuntwork and practical effects, credit where credit is due. I reckon a lot of the busier sequences were achieved by layering individual shots, stunts or actions on top of each other, often lending them an artificial, cartoonish look (not necessarily a bad thing I hasten to add!). At the very least the legitimate stuntwork and the like are placed on a computer canvas, and remixed / enhanced which creates a very clear contrast to the less manipulated images you see in The Road Warrior, for example. But to me this is nonetheless a very digital film, although one that still manages to achieve a far more comfortable balance between computer and practical effects the vast majority of its contemporaries. And one or two little nitpicks aside I really do feel Miller engages with computerised effects cleverly and effectively.

aido79 wrote: »
    Read my post on the previous page on the issue for more detail, you wont gain anything much seeing it in 3D, how quickly the actions shots are cut would defo work better in 2D, it can be slightly hard to focus with the quick shots in 3D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Director George Miller has revealed that the follow-up to Mad Max: Fury Road will be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland.

“We’ve got one screenplay and a novella. It happened because with the delays [on Fury Road], and writing all the backstories, they just expanded,” Miller said while explaining how he ended up with a fully mapped out Mad Max trilogy before the first film released, on The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/18/mad-max-fury-road-sequel-will-be-titled-mad-max-the-wasteland/

The title is interesting because The Wasteland is the name of the world in which the Mad Max films take place.

What a strange sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just back now from seeing this, jesus what an assault on the senses it is. The best 100 minutes of film I have seen in a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Did this live up to the hype? Not quite, but then I haven't seen a film so hyped on social media since The Dark Knight back in 2008. I still think what was achieved in Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior was more impressive for a film made in 1982 than what was achieved in Mad Max Fury Road in 2005.

Fury Road may have been mostly practical effects, but there is some digital augmentation. Seeing the stunts in a pre-CGI film like The Road Warrior is even more of a visceral experience. I do hope some of the young 'uns who are excited by this film check out its predecessors, and don't just sh-t all over them as young people are want to do.

One significant departure from the previous films is the length. At 120 minutes, it was a lot longer than the original Mad Max (93 mins) The Road Warrior (94 mins) and even Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (107 mins). Lots of nice homages to the original trilogy – the music box, the dolls' heads decorating the attire of the villains, Max strapped to the front of a vehicle.

I thought that Mel Gibson was present in spirit, if not in person. The array of grotesque characters (specifically the deformed dwarf the son of the main villain) could be straight out of The Passion of the Christ or Apocalypto, both of which had similar moments.

Also, there's weird symmetry in Tom Hardy playing the role of Max, considering how indebted his Bane in The Dark Knight Rises was to the Lord Humongous from The Road Warrior (to the extent that someone has made a video mash-up of the two villains on YouTube).

Advertisement