Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S5E5 - Kill the Boy - HAVE READ the books.

Options

Comments

When Sam was talking to the Targaryen Maester about Daenerys and he said that a Targaryen left alone in the world was a terrible thing. Then Jon appears. I like to think thats another little hint at whats to come.
    Anyone agree or am I being silly?

I thought that alright while watching, from what I can see the producers are dropping clear hints as to Jon's lineage or a mention of R+L in most episodes so far this season. Could there be a major reveal coming ahead of the books?

Apart from that, I also found Maester Aemon's proclamation to Jon Snow that he needs to "Kill the boy...kill the boy and let the man be born" interesting. That coupled with 'Kill the Boy' being the episode's title has to bear importance of some kind. I'm drawing parallels between those words and some well discussed theories online that in being killed and resurrected, Jon is free from his oath and NW vows to move on to become Jon Stark/Azor Ahai reborn/King of Westeros or whatever life beyond the wall has in store for him. "Kill the boy and let the man be born" could be more foreshadowing at the soon to come For The Watch, and Maester Aemon's words could turn out to be literal rather than figurative by season's end. Also, Olly the kid is sooo stabbing Jon!

I'm intrigued with the Winterfell storyline. Now that there is a pregnant Frey, by the seed of a Stark-slaying Bolton, with a jealous and threatened mad dog son and his mistress, a redemption-seeking Theon and a vengeful and now-cunning Stark in Winterfell, there is surely major drama on the way there. That's forgetting the fact the Brienne and Stannis have Winterfell in their sights and are closing in on it. Out of all the changes from the books, I am enjoying Sansa and the Boltons most.

I really didn't think that a Sansa storyline, and one unique to the show, would become one of my favourite elements. I can't help but see some more torment for Sansa before Stannis and/or Brienne come dashing to her rescue. The lady (chamber maid) who told Sansa to light a candle in the tower if she needs help, and that "The North remembers", is a little too nice considering the show we're dealing with. Initially when trying to break and tame Theon, Ramsey set him free and lulled him into a false sense of security, even killing some of his own guards during the charade, all in the name of breaking Theon down. I wonder if Sansa's chambermaid is a plant by Ramsey, if not to torment her, maybe to suss out Sansa's plans and see where her true allegiances lie. The fact that Ramsey sarcastically states that 'The North Remembers' during that dinner scene made me think that maybe Sansa's apparent ally is just another Ramsey mind-f**k. However, the old lady did bring Sansa Brienne's message from the old man at the inn, so it is quite possible that she is as she appears to be.

So they killed Barry the Bold, goddamit. I can't say it is a show-ruiner for me even though it grates me dearly, and I have to believe that it will serve some purpose down the road apart from giving the Grey Worm/Missandei soap opera more screen time. On the GW/Missandei thing, I know it's irritating but I think a poster earlier in the thread suggested something that could be the way it'll go; They are building this up so that when one of them dies soon, it will have an impact. I think it will be Missandei to bite the bullet, since they had the chance to kill GW and didn't take it. Whatever happens, I wish they'd devote the valuable screen-time elsewhere. I like GW, but the romance does absolutely nothing for me as a viewer.

I was delighted to get a glance at Valyria, the scene with Drogon soaring high above Tyrion and Jorah was epic. Like others in this thread, I think ending with Tyrion going under would have been perfect. When the screen faded to black I actually reached for the remote to switch over, and was surprised to see more. Obviously the producers wanted to establish the bond between Tyrion and Jorah this week, rather than end on a cliffhanger and still have to get them trusting each other in a future episode. Poor Jorah seems to be living on borrowed time now. Of course, many saw it coming with how much they were mentioning greyscale in the show recently. Likewise with how they have been dropping R+L=J hints lately, I a see revelation coming there soon.

Stannis is becoming a bit too likable IMO. I dig his scenes, but are they softening him up and making him more endearing to the audience because he will soon be going the way of Robert and Renly? I certainly hope not, love me some Stannis. "Keep reading, Samwell Tarly" - Stannis is just going around brightening up everyone's day lately. I'd like to think that rather than preparing him for a hero's death, they are simply making him more kingly and a more believable leader and inspiration to others given probable events to come. At least that's what I hope.

All in all, I think this was my favourite episode of the season so far. Although I miss the Arya and Cersei storylines, I do like how they structured this episode and chose to spend a lot of time on a few story-lines, rather than a few minutes on many. I haven't watched the preview or do I even know the name of the next episode, but I imagine that it will be back to King's Landing, Dorne, Arya/Meryn Trant in Bravos and a bit more in Winterfell, since it appears that the events there and the drama with Sansa and the Boltons will be central to the big turning points of the season. I got the impression from the sweeping shot of Stannis and his army pulling out of Castle Black that this is the last we will see of them until they reach Winterfell which probably will be in a few episodes' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I am guessing when Jon sails to save the Wildlings
    he will meet Benjin who will steal the boats and return them to Danaerys in his Dario guise allowing her to cross to Westeros.

...and that's canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just glancing through the other thread on this episode and someone said they thought that it was the end of the episode but were glad it wasn't. I actually would have loved it if the episode had have ended at that this point.

Also think when the stabbing happens they should end either the episode or the season on that point. Although as someone said earlier it would be quite hard to hide the actor while filming next season if its the season cliffhanger ( he is contracted for 7 seasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I think they'll kill Jon in Ep 9 and Stannis will be chopping down by Brienne also after taking Winterfell.

Then Melisande will try to resurrect Stannis by killing Shireen while at the exact same time the NW are burning Jon's corpse at his funeral but Jon's body won't burn. Then follow some R'hollar ritual we'll all expect Stannis to rise but instead, Jon Targaryan's eyes open!

At the same time Dany will be riding her dragon and get a cold feeling. Not knowing why see turns towards Westoros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think they'll kill Jon in Ep 9 and Stannis will be chopping down by Brienne also after taking Winterfell.

Then Melisande will try to resurrect Stannis by killing Shireen while at the exact same time the NW are burning Jon's corpse at his funeral but Jon's body won't burn. Then follow some R'hollar ritual we'll all expect Stannis to rise but instead, Jon Targaryan's eyes open!

At the same time Dany will be riding her dragon and get a cold feeling. Not knowing why see turns towards Westoros.

You should email GRRM and offer to help ghost write the book. Get the thing out quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Will Brienne be that stupid to kill the man who got the Boltons out of Winterfell and may actually be the best chance for the the realm?

Yes, I think she is that stupid and hopefully she gets cut down first.

Nobody so far has managed to fulfil their story arc or goal, and Brienne's goal to avenge Renly has to fail.

She has to be the stupidest character, what did she expect when Renly rose against Stannis, one of them had to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

One thing that I just thought of thatputs a bug in this theory's bed - cant remember if its in both books and show, but Jon burns his hand when protecting the LC Mormont with the lamp

granty1987 wrote: »
    One thing that I just thought of thatputs a bug in this theory's bed - cant remember if its in both books and show, but Jon burns his hand when protecting the LC Mormont with the lamp

Correct and badly burnt too if I remember.

It has been mentioned in the books that Targaryens are not fire proof. Daenerys herself gets some burns from Drogons fire. That said we had seen her survive a funeral pyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Will Brienne be that stupid to kill the man who got the Boltons out of Winterfell and may actually be the best chance for the the realm?

Nobody so far has managed to fulfil their story arc or goal, and Brienne's goal to avenge Renly has to fail.

She has to be the stupidest character, what did she expect when Renly rose against Stannis, one of them had to die.

Stannis forever gets the **** end of the stick. Offered Renly the position of heir to the throne and reminded him of the laws of succession. Then everyone on the Renly/Tyrell side are astonished when Stannis strikes first on the brother who basically vowed to destroy him. I'll lose my testicles If Brienne kills Stannis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Very good point he did burn his hand...I'd forgotten about that. Seems to go against the R+L=J theory a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not in the slightest. Dany survived the funeral pyre due to inadvertently used blood magic, nothing to do with her genetics. Targs burn as easily as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It has been mentioned in the books that Targaryens are not fire proof. Daenerys herself gets some burns from Drogons fire. That said we had seen her survive a funeral pyre.
    how did Dany's brother die again???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

granty1987 wrote: »

Ah you're right there, that happened in both. Well maybe the Mirri Maz Dur magic that protected Dany could be similar the stuff Melisandre has up her sleeves?

I agree I think she is that stupid but may come down to a choice between saving Sansa from the Boltons (her Oath to Cathelyn) or killing Stannis (avenging Renly). Perhaps Pod can talk some sense into her.

There is also another element. Stannis killing his brother was an act that may still come back to haunt him. It was practically a cheat move and although he paid dearly at the Blackwater, he may now finally face one of the people he should have had to get through to get Renly.
    duploelabs wrote: »

He was no Dragon

"Viserys is less than the shadow of a snake." Jorah Mormont.

It has been mentioned in the books that Targaryens are not fire proof....

Burnt. Like many Targs before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

She survived that because of the blood magic Mirri Maz Dur (?) used on Drogo. The same blood magic that birthed the dragons. Targaryens aren't immune to fire, just more tolerant to it than non-Targs..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Drogo poured molten gold over his face and head to give him the golden crown he had been promised and was demanding when drunk and threatening to kill his sister (book & series).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nody wrote: »
    Drogo poured molten gold over his face and head to give him the golden crown he had been promised and was demanding when drunk and threatening to kill his sister (book & series).

I *think* that it was a rhetorical question, rather than a forgotten fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm a mod; I'm taking things very literally :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Nody wrote: »

Ah here! Spoilers!! ;)

5starpool wrote: »

Indeed it was, as previously mentioned Targ blood does not give immunity from fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I wouldn't really call molten gold fire though.

But ya I don't think Targareyns are immune to fire. As mentioned they are just less affected by heat. Like Danaerys showed in the bath scene she was first in and one of the scenes with the dragon eggs.

So every chef is a targ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If Targs are fire proof someone should tell Aerion Brightflame he isn't actually dead.

tumblr_mpjmdvvHVs1so9972o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Saw that, I'm always automatically suspicious of people who pick up on that.

Why? It's been fairly heavily signposted in the series, probably moreso than the books. Some people seem to think show watchers are mindless robots imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

BlibBlab wrote:
    Why? It's been fairly heavily signposted in the series, probably moreso than the books. Some people seem to think show watchers are mindless robots imo

It's because I'm a mindless robot who never really caught onto the hints in the books. It's also very difficult for me to imagine watching the show having not read them. I'm only suspicious because I can't imagine catching onto the hints myself, but I'm not going to report them as secret book readers or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Stannis forever gets the **** end of the stick. Offered Renly the position of heir to the throne and reminded him of the laws of succession. Then everyone on the Renly/Tyrell side are astonished when Stannis strikes first on the brother who basically vowed to destroy him. I'll lose my testicles If Brienne kills Stannis.

Renly was an arrogant git to be sure but it's not like Stannis defeated him on the open field of battle. He murdered Renly in his tent using magic. Stannis gave Renly until sunrise to accept his offer but still sent the demon to kill him anyway which showed that his offer was meaningless. I think if Renly had died in battle Brienne wouldn't be looking for vengeance.

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Renly was an arrogant git to be sure but it's not like Stannis defeated him on the open field of battle. He murdered Renly in his tent using magic. Stannis gave Renly until sunrise to accept his offer but still sent the demon to kill him anyway which showed that his offer was meaningless. I think if Renly had died in battle Brienne wouldn't be looking for vengeance.

Renly rose against his brother and effectively split the Baratheon forces, leaving himself and Stannis fairly weakened. They already had enemies on all fronts and now his brother has taken half his forces.

Renly had no claim, the people won't like Stannis they will like me better is no reason.

Stannis did a dark thing killing Renly in his tent, but by doing so there was no battle and Renly's forces joined him once they learnt Renly was dead.

Probably looked like the best thing to do at the time, kill one person to avoid losing 100s\1000s from each side in a battle.

(You could also argue that Stannis having Renly's men in his army when attempting to take Kings Landing caused him to lose as they all fled or switched sides when Tywin and Renly's "ghost" turned up).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Renly rose against his brother and effectively split the Baratheon forces, leaving himself and Stannis fairly weakened. They already had enemies on all fronts and now his brother has taken half his forces.

Renly had no claim, the people won't like Stannis they will like me better is no reason.

Oh I completely agree that Stannis had the rightful claim to the throne. My point wasn't that Renly was a better choice but rather to explain how Brienne is still looking for vengeance. It was the unnatural killing of Renly (by a demon which don't forget Brienne saw wore the face of Stannis) which motivates her quest for vengeance. I'd find it very poor writing if a character seeing that murder just shrugged her shoulders and said "oh well, I guess Stannis is the rightful king now".

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Oh I completely agree that Stannis had the rightful claim to the throne. My point wasn't that Renly was a better choice but rather to explain how Brienne is still looking for vengeance. It was the unnatural killing of Renly (by a demon which don't forget Brienne saw wore the face of Stannis) which motivates her quest for vengeance. I'd find it very poor writing if a character seeing that murder just shrugged her shoulders and said "oh well, I guess Stannis is the rightful king now".

Agreed.

At the time I was very much against Stannis, but the more I read then the more I ended up liking him.

I like Brienne still in the books, I am not a fan of TV show Brienne, this season so far has made me really dislike her.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's because I'm a mindless robot who never really caught onto the hints in the books. It's also very difficult for me to imagine watching the show having not read them. I'm only suspicious because I can't imagine catching onto the hints myself, but I'm not going to report them as secret book readers or anything.

R + L = J was also publicised in a load of newspapers and magazines last season.

Advertisement