Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought an unregistered car in the UK, what now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ballooba wrote: »
    I rang Car Giant and pretended to be interested in a car there to get the low down (slightly unethical I know). Once the car is insured on drive away insurance I can tax it, it electronically matches the tax to the insurance. No need to register with DVLA. Then cancel the tax once it is exported.

I think you got that wrong from them.
    Indeed their drive away insurance which is for 7 days or something would let you purchase a tax, but unfortunately they can not issue this insurance to someone non-resident in UK. So this is no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

My current thinking with regard to the mechanical inspection is that I will be doing a 5 hour drive up to Holyhead, if anything shows up on that I will just leave the car with the roadside recovery as included in my purchase. This is probably as good if not better than a 15 minute test drive by RAC/AA? Or am I naiive?

The RAC and AA don't just take it out for a spin and then tell you "'tis grand" at the end of it though. They have rigorous inspection checklists, and they send you a detailed report. Here is the RAC one:

http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections/checklist

No doubt the AA one is equally as thorough.

If their checks find major faults, then you can just say "no thanks" to the garage. If you find yourself with a blown timing chain or head gasket on the side of the A55, then it's your problem, recovery service or no recovery service. You might be lucky and be covered by warranty, or then again you mightn't.

It's over 1% of the value of the car for an independent inspection.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish! That sounds like a bargain to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

CiniO wrote: »
    I think you got that wrong from them.
    Indeed their drive away insurance which is for 7 days or something would let you purchase a tax, but unfortunately they can not issue this insurance to someone non-resident in UK. So this is no go.

Of course they can issue insurance to a non resident just like rental car companies can.

I had no problem with Audi up in North insuring me. Also when they took the back to fix it they gave me another loan Audi for 2 weeks which I was fully covered on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Of course they can issue insurance to a non resident just like rental car companies can.

I had no problem with Audi up in North insuring me. Also when they took the back to fix it they gave me another loan Audi for 2 weeks which I was fully covered on. :)

Well, in Cargiant 7 day insurance they offer was not available for non-resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

CiniO wrote: »
    Well, in Cargiant 7 day insurance they offer was not available for non-resident.

Ahh I thought we were talking about Audi insurance.

I don't think the car giant insurance will matter as he has bought it from Audi. I think he was more interested in finding out about the tax. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

I bought an A5 from a main dealer in UK in Jan, they invoiced me for the tax and I asked them to remove it from the bill which they did as it was being exported.
    If your buying from a main dealer there is like a 150 point checklist every secondhand car has to go through they give you a copy of this when you purchase and the 12 month warranty is valid through the Audi network including Ireland dealers.
    You can get if collected for around €450 to €500 but as Kent is further down you might have to pay a bit more then you have no tax issues. I have some contacts for the collection guys PM me if you need them but would recommend collecting it yourself as you see the car before you sign for it and you get to give it a good spin up to Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Current thinking is that it doesn't matter if the Audi insurance is valid, I will have my own insurance transferred too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Current thinking is that it doesn't matter if the Audi insurance is valid, I will have my own insurance transferred too.

It's usual for the dealer to tax the car for you using the new keeper supplement part of the v5. Since the changeover to "paperless discs", Post Offices in England, Wales and Scotland are not required to check for an insurance very. The assumption for EWS is that ANPR will do the job - not for NI though. The dealer may want to be happy that you have valid insurance and the transfer of the Irish policy should be sufficient.

I wouldn't bother pushing the 7 day insurance point as it generally (experience of 4 cars, different dealers and insurers) involves a rigid online application which you would likely have to spoof which in itself is likely a more serious offence than driving with no tax.

Advertisement